Topics

Grids

Jerry N9AVY

Still kind of old-fashioned type and I like to see lists for things I'm chasing.  So, using Excel I made a list of all the grids I still need .. about 140 or so.  This way I can see at a glance what grids I need while operating. There's probably a way to do it on computer, but I like seeing stuff right in front of my eyes without having to bounce back and forth on computer screens.  Anyhow, this is what works for me.

The old list was terribly out of date because I was lax on checking grids off when I worked them. Don't expect to work many more or ever finish endorsement. I don't usually rely on QRZ or even the station for correct grid. QRZ is terribly inaccurate...  don't believe everything you read on QRZ !
It was fun making up list while I was waiting for freezer in garage to defrost ... it looked like Antarctica inside !  Took a couple hours, but it's done for another year.  Which reminds me that all to soon it will be "antenna maintenance"  time.  Check all those connections for loose wires/bolts , ground connections, cracks/holes in coax and all the other stuff no one wants to go out in cold or in middle of contest to fix.

Jerry  N9AVY

Steve W3HF

Jerry -

I'm the same way. I have a paper with all the 070 members I need, and another one with all the (US) grids I need.

W7RIV

Jerry,

What grids in Utah do you need?

Bryon, W7RIV

On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 5:31 PM w3hf@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

Jerry -

I'm the same way. I have a paper with all the 070 members I need, and another one with all the (US) grids I need.

Steve W3HF

Bryon -

You asked Jerry (not me), but I'll answer too.

DM38, DM39, and DM47.

DM58, DM48, DM47,DM39, DM38  AND THEY ARE PROBABLY ALL DESERT AND OTHER UNOCCUPIED LANDS... MAYBE GOV'T LAND WHERE NO ONE IS ALLOWED.

Oops, excuse the caps , left caps lock on.

Jerry   n9avy

I'm the same way. I have a paper with all the 070 members I need, and another one with all the (US) grids I need.

Bryon-

I still need DM 39, DM47, and DM 48 in UT.  Are you planning some portable activations?  I hope, hope, hope!

Just did a bit of research on QRZ ...

The only Wisconsin grid I need is EN65 and there are seemingly 9 page of hams in EN65  or so it would seem.

Scanning through the 9 pages I found hams using EN65  who had addresses in CO, KY, IA, TX and MN (Minneapolis).

It would appear that EN65 is also in MI as well as WI.  The most often seen towns are: Marinette, Menominee, Peshtigo, Crivitz and a bunch of smaller towns.  So, if one is seriously  hunting for this grid , those 4 towns would be likely targets.

One can use the "look up grid " feature on QRZ to find other towns & grids.  Some probably already know this, but others may not.

Jerry  N9AVY

Rick - N7WE

Here's a link to a grid square locator that I find very handy.  You can search by call, grid square (4 or 6 digit),  or address, city and state, or zip code.  Pops up a map showing the location with a very handy zoom in, zoom out feature.

ljl2002@att.net

Jerry,

If your freezer was in Antarctica all you would have had to do is wait and a giant piece the size of Delaware would have broken off.
That would have shortened your wait time.

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

On Saturday, July 15, 2017 10:21 PM, "n7we1980@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

Bryon-

I still need DM 39, DM47, and DM 48 in UT.  Are you planning some portable activations?  I hope, hope, hope!

ljl2002@att.net

Rick,

I've used this program to locate /P's when they don't announce their grid during the QSO.
Very helpful.

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

On Sunday, July 16, 2017 9:06 AM, "n7we1980@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

Here's a link to a grid square locator that I find very handy.  You can search by call, grid square (4 or 6 digit),  or address, city and state, or zip code.  Pops up a map showing the location with a very handy zoom in, zoom out feature.

Just a word of caution ...

Keep in mind that this is a QRZ product  and many, many listings have wrong grid tied to call sign. Don't believe it when you see a station in OR  with a grid  for TX .

Just sayin'

Jerry  N9AVY

Here's a link to a grid square locator that I find very handy.  You can search by call, grid square (4 or 6 digit),  or address, city and state, or zip code.  Pops up a map showing the location with a very handy zoom in, zoom out feature.

Mike Besemer <mwbesemer@...>

On the off-chance anyone needs EM82 in middle Georgia, give me a shout.  There are several hams here who work PSK, but I’m here (with a lousy antenna) if anyone needs me.

Mike

WM4B

Keep in mind that this is a QRZ product  and many, many listings have wrong grid tied to call sign. Don't believe it when you see a station in OR  with a grid  for TX .

Just sayin'

Jerry  N9AVY

Here's a link to a grid square locator that I find very handy.  You can search by call, grid square (4 or 6 digit),  or address, city and state, or zip code.  Pops up a map showing the location with a very handy zoom in, zoom out feature.

Nah !   Need  EM91   and can't find anyone to finish off GA..

Jerry N9AVY

[...]

Look for someone in Tifton, Cordele, Douglass, or Waycross.  Douglass and Waycross are out in the sticks, but Tifton and Cordele are a bit larger and have more active hams.

Mike

WM4B

Thanks, but drat!  I only need EM71 and EM81 to finish GA.  Let me know if you start thinking road trip!

Jerry -

I worked Gary K4GZ PSK31 on 7/7/2016 about 14:20 UTC on 20m for EM91bt.  I don't find him on the 070 member list, but his QTH was Ludowici, GA.  Only EM91 I've ever worked on any mode.  Might try to look him up.  One other thing...I was /P from Glacier National Park, MT.  YPMV.  (Your propagation might vary.)

Have ham friend on Jekyl Is. who is retired, but seems to busy too get on the air...  he's hiking, running, kayaking and involved with various organizations.  Caught him on FB and asked for a contact and he agreed, but nothing so far.

Jerry n9avy

[...]

Keith KF4BI (070 #929) is in EM81.

Steve W3HF

And Stephen KE4BLV (#1467) is in EM71.