Question ?

Jerry N9AVY

Lately I've been working a lot of station  who when answering a call, send both my first and last names ?   What's up with this ???   It seems to not be in the Amateur Radio tradition of just sending one's first name.  Seems to me kind of like junk mail and very impersonal.  

Just curious...

Jerry N9AVY

Randy True

Probably the same guys who jump the frequency when you've been quiet for 30 seconds.

Randy

W4RTT

From: 070@... <070@...> on behalf of Jerry n9avy@... [070] <070@...>
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2017 9:49 AM
To: 070 List Service 070 List Service
Subject: [070] Question ?

Lately I've been working a lot of station  who when answering a call, send both my first and last names ?   What's up with this ???   It seems to not be in the Amateur Radio tradition of just sending one's first name.  Seems to me kind of like junk mail and very impersonal.  

Just curious...

Jerry N9AVY

Jon Greene - wx5nco <wx5nco@...>

Jerry,
My practice is to only use first name, when I've been given the first name.  If the other op doesn't give me their first name, which is rare, I use OM or YL.  

Jon Greene WX5NCO
Tulsa, Oklahoma EM26
070 - 592
30DMC - 1233
DMC - 741
EPC - 5134
1010 - 74420

On Thursday, July 13, 2017, 8:49:33 AM CDT, Jerry n9avy@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

Just curious...

Jerry N9AVY

Marty Grove

HRD's DM-780 has a macro that sends both the first and last name of an OP after the call sign was looked up in QRZ when sending a reply.  Its been a while, but I think I remember that is the default way DM-780 is configured.

I'm betting this is a reply via such a macro.

Marty - KJ4LQX

On 07/13/2017 09:49 AM, Jerry n9avy@... [070] wrote:

Just curious...

Jerry N9AVY

Bill Garwood

I see similar stuff.  I get sent my full name as is on my ham license including middle initial.  I always send my name as Bill.  (The only people who call me William are with the Government, IRS etc.)

Even in some of our PODXS contests where the name is part of the exchange and I send my name as Bill, I see it logged in the contest results as “William”.  I blame it on computers.   They make everything impersonal.

Happy Radio!

Bill

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2017 9:49 AM
To: 070 List Service 070 List Service

Just curious...

Jerry N9AVY

Paula K7PAX #1739

It’s the software – when it is set to do a QRZ lookup, it pulls first and last name. At least in HRD, there is a setting to use first name only in the macros.
But if you don’t have the box checked, it will be first and last name by default. And folks new to ham radio don’t know the traditions . . . I guess we should be glad they are wanting to use our name at all!

Paula K7PAX

Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2017 6:49 AM
To: 070 List Service 070 List Service <070@...>

Just curious...

Jerry N9AVY

mwbesemer@...

mwbesemer@...

Bill Morton

HRD does default to using both First and Last names in its macro, but can also be set to only First name. In DM-780 – Program Options – Macros – click “send his first name only” – a bit of gender bias but it gets the job done.

Of course, if you touch type, Macros do not come into play….

Bill

W4ASE

070 #1018

Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2017 9:59 AM
To: 070@...
Subject: Re: [070] Question ?

HRD's DM-780 has a macro that sends both the first and last name of an OP after the call sign was looked up in QRZ when sending a reply.  Its been a while, but I think I remember that is the default way DM-780 is configured.

I'm betting this is a reply via such a macro.

Marty - KJ4LQX

On 07/13/2017 09:49 AM, Jerry n9avy@... [070] wrote:

Just curious...

Jerry N9AVY

F.R. Ashley

Macros that insert your name is nothing new. But just love it when I get a 73 macro with my first name, middle initial, and last name inserted. I also have never gone by my first name, and have had the nickname of Buddy since I was a little boy.  Those who do use my real name use my middle name.  I also don't call anyone by their name until they tell me at the start of a QSO, they need to properly introduce themselves!

73 Buddy WB4M

On 7/13/2017 10:01 AM, mwbesemer@... [070] wrote:

Similar to macros that automatically populate the 'name' field from a callbook lookup.

When I first got this call, I became 'Charlie' for several years until all the websites had updated.  Now I'm 'Michael' - which I've never been called by anyone.

Personally, I won't call someone by name in a QSO until they give it to me; I don't address them at all until I get a name, lest I used the traditional 'OM' when I actually have a YL on the other end. 

'Back in the day', most of us didn't consider it a good contact unless we copied RS(T), Name, and QTH.  Unfotunately, many (most) of the old traditions are gone.  Some folks get upset if you want a 'real' QSL card from them; when I got my ticket, a QSL was considered 'the final courtesy' of a QSO and nearly everyone sent them for every contact.  Now it's pretty much LOTW or nothing. 

We've got more modes, better radios, and neater toys these days, but we're missing something really important.

Mike (not Michael, Charles, or Charlie)
WM4B

Ray Clements

In the FCC records I am listed as Raymond. However, everyone has called me Ray for the past 50 years (well, except my mother who has been dead for the past 10 years). What irks me is when I send my name as Ray in my exchange and some operators are too lazy to log my name as Ray. Or perhaps they have no typing skills.

Some contests require a name to be recorded in the contest exchange and the QSO does not count unless the name copied is whatever was sent over the air, not what is shown in the call books. In an effort to speed up exchanges, most operators will shorten their names. For example, Constantine might shorten his name to Stan. Thus, it is best to get in the habit of logging the name operators send in their exchanges. Besides it is the friendly thing to do.

N9RWC Ray (not Raymond)

------ Original Message ------
Received: 09:41 AM CDT, 07/13/2017

Macros that insert your name is nothing new. But just love it when I get a 73 macro with my first name, middle initial, and last name inserted. I also have never gone by my first name, and have had the nickname of Buddy since I was a little boy.  Those who do use my real name use my middle name.  I also don't call anyone by their name until they tell me at the start of a QSO, they need to properly introduce themselves!

73 Buddy WB4M

Similar to macros that automatically populate the 'name' field from a callbook lookup.

When I first got this call, I became 'Charlie' for several years until all the websites had updated.  Now I'm 'Michael' - which I've never been called by anyone.

Personally, I won't call someone by name in a QSO until they give it to me; I don't address them at all until I get a name, lest I used the traditional 'OM' when I actually have a YL on the other end. 

'Back in the day', most of us didn't consider it a good contact unless we copied RS(T), Name, and QTH.  Unfotunately, many (most) of the old traditions are gone.  Some folks get upset if you want a 'real' QSL card from them; when I got my ticket, a QSL was considered 'the final courtesy' of a QSO and nearly everyone sent them for every contact.  Now it's pretty much LOTW or nothing. 

We've got more modes, better radios, and neater toys these days, but we're missing something really important.

WM4B

boat.anchor@...

Bill

Agree very much.
I try my darndest to overcome all the benefits of the computer (which I am not willing to forego) and adapt my macros on the fly to make it all look as personal as I can. It only takes a couple tweaks and the other party feels like it is meant for them only and not a mass communication from a beer can.
Barry

---In 070@..., <n4gbk@...> wrote :

I see similar stuff.  I get sent my full name as is on my ham license including middle initial.  I always send my name as Bill.  (The only people who call me William are with the Government, IRS etc.)

Even in some of our PODXS contests where the name is part of the exchange and I send my name as Bill, I see it logged in the contest results as “William”.  I blame it on computers.   They make everything impersonal.

Happy Radio!

Bill

Paul <nu4c@...>

Ray,
Here's  a simple fix. Go to QRZ.com and edit your page. Just change your first to Ray and save the change.
Paul NU4C

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® A

-------- Original message --------
Date: 7/13/17 11:02 (GMT-05:00)

In the FCC records I am listed as Raymond. However, everyone has called me Ray for the past 50 years (well, except my mother who has been dead for the past 10 years). What irks me is when I send my name as Ray in my exchange and some operators are too lazy to log my name as Ray. Or perhaps they have no typing skills.

Some contests require a name to be recorded in the contest exchange and the QSO does not count unless the name copied is whatever was sent over the air, not what is shown in the call books. In an effort to speed up exchanges, most operators will shorten their names. For example, Constantine might shorten his name to Stan. Thus, it is best to get in the habit of logging the name operators send in their exchanges. Besides it is the friendly thing to do.

N9RWC Ray (not Raymond)

------ Original Message ------
Received: 09:41 AM CDT, 07/13/2017

73 Buddy WB4M

<Soapbox Mode On>

</Soapbox Mode Off>

WM4B

boat.anchor@...

Good point Paula

at least QSOs with you are all kybd and no macros.
Keep up the good work.

Barry

---In 070@..., <hamette@...> wrote :

It’s the software – when it is set to do a QRZ lookup, it pulls first and last name. At least in HRD, there is a setting to use first name only in the macros.
But if you don’t have the box checked, it will be first and last name by default. And folks new to ham radio don’t know the traditions . . . I guess we should be glad they are wanting to use our name at all!

Paula K7PAX

boat.anchor@...

Paul

I tried that for weeks on end and finally concluded that QRZ does a database update from industry canada quite frequently so no matter what I change it to within a couple days it is back to what the govmnt has on record.
Barry

---In 070@..., <nu4c@...> wrote :

Ray,
Here's  a simple fix. Go to QRZ.com and edit your page. Just change your first to Ray and save the change.
Paul NU4C

Randy True

To change your name on QRZ, you have to change your FCC info.

Randy

W4RTT

From: 070@... <070@...> on behalf of boat.anchor@... [070] <070@...>
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2017 11:20 AM

Paul

I tried that for weeks on end and finally concluded that QRZ does a database update from industry canada quite frequently so no matter what I change it to within a couple days it is back to what the govmnt has on record.
Barry

Ray,
Paul NU4C

Paul <nu4c@...>

OOPS. 
I did not know that. I wonder how difficult or easy it is to make a change on the FCC database.

Paul NU4C 

Date: 7/13/17 11:23 (GMT-05:00)

Randy

W4RTT

Paul

Barry

Ray,
Paul NU4C

Bill Garwood

Don't think it can be done.  My commercial licenses and ham license tied together deep in the fcc world.  I think it has my ssn?

From: 070@... <070@...> on behalf of Paul nu4c@... [070] <070@...>
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2017 11:42:18 AM

OOPS. 
I did not know that. I wonder how difficult or easy it is to make a change on the FCC database.

Paul NU4C 

Randy

W4RTT

Paul

Barry

---In 070@..., wrote :

Ray,
Paul NU4C

Jerry N9AVY

Pretty easy . Changed mine a few years ago because I got tired of being called Jerald !

Jerry n9avy

Sent from my iPhone

On 13 Jul 2017, at 10:42, "Paul nu4c@... [070]" <070@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

OOPS. 

Paul NU4C 

From: "randy true w4rttrandy@... [070]" <070@yahoogroups.com>

Randy

W4RTT

From: 070@yahoogroups.com <070@yahoogroups.com> on behalf of boat.anchor@... [070] <070@yahoogroups.com>
To: 070@yahoogroups.com

Paul

Barry

---In 070@yahoogroups.com, wrote :

Ray,
Paul NU4C

Paula K7PAX #1739

Also, when someone gives their name, and it is different from the lookup prefill, I immediately change the log to reflect what they sent, and HRD logbook remembers that name for the call on subsequent log entries. Also, any macros used during the QSO automatically pick up my change. That way I can keep it sorta personal, even when using macros.

Paula K7PAX

On Jul 13, 2017, at 8:17 AM, boat.anchor@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

Good point Paula

at least QSOs with you are all kybd and no macros.
Keep up the good work.

Barry

---In 070@..., wrote :

Paula K7PAX