From: 070@... <070@...> on behalf of Jerry n9avy@... [070] <070@...>
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2017 9:49 AM
To: 070 List Service 070 List Service
Subject: [070] Question ?

Lately I've been working a lot of station  who when answering a call, send both my first and last names ?   What's up with this ???   It seems to not be in the Amateur Radio tradition of just sending one's first name.  Seems to me kind of like junk mail and very impersonal.

Just curious...

Jerry N9AVY

Jon Greene - wx5nco <wx5nco@...>

Jerry,
My practice is to only use first name, when I've been given the first name.  If the other op doesn't give me their first name, which is rare, I use OM or YL.

73
Jon Greene WX5NCO
Tulsa, Oklahoma EM26
070 - 592
30DMC - 1233
DMC - 741
EPC - 5134
1010 - 74420

On Thursday, July 13, 2017, 8:49:33 AM CDT, Jerry n9avy@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

Lately I've been working a lot of station  who when answering a call, send both my first and last names ?   What's up with this ???   It seems to not be in the Amateur Radio tradition of just sending one's first name.  Seems to me kind of like junk mail and very impersonal.

Just curious...

Jerry N9AVY

Marty Grove

HRD's DM-780 has a macro that sends both the first and last name of an OP after the call sign was looked up in QRZ when sending a reply.  Its been a while, but I think I remember that is the default way DM-780 is configured.

I'm betting this is a reply via such a macro.

Marty - KJ4LQX

On 07/13/2017 09:49 AM, Jerry n9avy@... [070] wrote:

Lately I've been working a lot of station  who when answering a call, send both my first and last names ?   What's up with this ???   It seems to not be in the Amateur Radio tradition of just sending one's first name.  Seems to me kind of like junk mail and very impersonal.

Just curious...

Jerry N9AVY

Bill Garwood

I see similar stuff.  I get sent my full name as is on my ham license including middle initial.  I always send my name as Bill.  (The only people who call me William are with the Government, IRS etc.)

Even in some of our PODXS contests where the name is part of the exchange and I send my name as Bill, I see it logged in the contest results as “William”.  I blame it on computers.   They make everything impersonal.

Happy Radio!

Bill

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: "'F.R. Ashley' gdadx2@... [070]" <070@...>
To: 070@...

[...]

boat.anchor@...

Bill

Agree very much.
I try my darndest to overcome all the benefits of the computer (which I am not willing to forego) and adapt my macros on the fly to make it all look as personal as I can. It only takes a couple tweaks and the other party feels like it is meant for them only and not a mass communication from a beer can.
Barry

---In 070@..., <n4gbk@...> wrote :

I see similar stuff.  I get sent my full name as is on my ham license including middle initial.  I always send my name as Bill.  (The only people who call me William are with the Government, IRS etc.)

Even in some of our PODXS contests where the name is part of the exchange and I send my name as Bill, I see it logged in the contest results as “William”.  I blame it on computers.   They make everything impersonal.

Happy Radio!

Bill

Paul <nu4c@...>

Ray,
Here's  a simple fix. Go to QRZ.com and edit your page. Just change your first to Ray and save the change.
73
Paul NU4C

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® A

[...]

<Soapbox Mode On>

[...]

</Soapbox Mode Off>

Mike (not Michael, Charles, or Charlie)
WM4B

boat.anchor@...

Good point Paula

at least QSOs with you are all kybd and no macros.
Keep up the good work.

Barry

---In 070@..., <hamette@...> wrote :

It’s the software – when it is set to do a QRZ lookup, it pulls first and last name. At least in HRD, there is a setting to use first name only in the macros.
But if you don’t have the box checked, it will be first and last name by default. And folks new to ham radio don’t know the traditions . . . I guess we should be glad they are wanting to use our name at all!

Paula K7PAX

boat.anchor@...

Paul

I tried that for weeks on end and finally concluded that QRZ does a database update from industry canada quite frequently so no matter what I change it to within a couple days it is back to what the govmnt has on record.
Barry

---In 070@..., <nu4c@...> wrote :

Ray,
Here's  a simple fix. Go to QRZ.com and edit your page. Just change your first to Ray and save the change.
73
Paul NU4C

Randy True

To change your name on QRZ, you have to change your FCC info.

Randy

W4RTT

---In 070@..., <nu4c@...> wrote :

Ray,
Here's  a simple fix. Go to QRZ.com and edit your page. Just change your first to Ray and save the change.
73
Paul NU4C

Paul <nu4c@...>

OOPS.
I did not know that. I wonder how difficult or easy it is to make a change on the FCC database.

Paul NU4C

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® A

---In 070@..., <nu4c@...> wrote :

Ray,
Here's  a simple fix. Go to QRZ.com and edit your page. Just change your first to Ray and save the change.
73
Paul NU4C

Bill Garwood

Don't think it can be done.  My commercial licenses and ham license tied together deep in the fcc world.  I think it has my ssn?

---In 070@..., wrote :

Ray,
Here's  a simple fix. Go to QRZ.com and edit your page. Just change your first to Ray and save the change.
73
Paul NU4C

Jerry N9AVY

Pretty easy . Changed mine a few years ago because I got tired of being called Jerald !

Jerry n9avy

Sent from my iPhone

---In 070@yahoogroups.com, wrote :

Ray,
Here's  a simple fix. Go to QRZ.com and edit your page. Just change your first to Ray and save the change.
73
Paul NU4C

Paula K7PAX #1739

Also, when someone gives their name, and it is different from the lookup prefill, I immediately change the log to reflect what they sent, and HRD logbook remembers that name for the call on subsequent log entries. Also, any macros used during the QSO automatically pick up my change. That way I can keep it sorta personal, even when using macros.

Paula K7PAX