Commemorative Special Events

Jerry N9AVY

Have noticed there seem to be lot of them lately for seeming insignificant events.  Maybe someone ought to do a parody of these using N0N  which would be commemorating nothing at all ???     Heh-heh !

Jerry  N9AVY

boat.anchor@...

Jerry
"Nothing At All"   That may be callsign NAA
Have been reading thru the 1X1 website and it looks like 1X1 calls are free.
That may be the basis for your perception.
Barry

---In 070@..., <n9avy@...> wrote :

Have noticed there seem to be lot of them lately for seeming insignificant events.  Maybe someone ought to do a parody of these using N0N  which would be commemorating nothing at all ???     Heh-heh !

Jerry  N9AVY

Jerry N9AVY

Barry:

Was trying to inject some levity into an otherwise boring day.

the 1x1 calls are more like "rental calls" or "time share calls" in that one  group could have K2A  one week and another group could use it the following week.  Yes, they are free, but it was because the FCC  wanted to reduce paperwork & manpower ; so they dumped it on ARRL.

Your VB7150 call sign looks like you should only be on 40m,  hi !

Jerry  n9avy

---In 070@..., wrote :

Have noticed there seem to be lot of them lately for seeming insignificant events.  Maybe someone ought to do a parody of these using N0N  which would be commemorating nothing at all ???     Heh-heh !

Jerry  N9AVY

Steve VA3FLF/KM4FLF

While we are on this subject, here is an observation. I worked the 13 Colony Event and got all 13 stations. Now I am getting QSL requests from the operators call from at least two of the states. Well, I don't know who I worked, all I know is I worked K2A, K2B, etc. Not everyone ID as there own call.

It's just adding to the confusion. K2B was the only station that ID as a K2B/operator call.  Just an observation.

Steve
KM4FLF
VA3FLF

Steve W3HF

Steve -

Yes, this is becoming more common. It seems like it used to be more common for DX stations than for US stations, but recently I've seen an increase in US stations doing it.

According to FCC rules, operators of 1x1 special event stations are supposed to identify with their own calls at least once every hour. Of course, that may not help you identify the station if you are only listening for 5 or 10 or 20 minutes.

My personal practice is NOT to QSL an individual station UNLESS s/he identifies with his/her personal call DURING the QSO.

Note that if you are seeing electronic QSL requests (like QRZ.log or eQSL), it's possible that this is an unfortunate consequence of the operator merging his own log with that of the special event, and then the log automatically uploading. Many operators don't realize the necessity of keeping multiple logs for operations with multiple callsigns. Most logging programs have features that enable this, but if you're careless (or just make a mistake), things can get confused.

---In 070@..., <oldjavadrinker@...> wrote :

While we are on this subject, here is an observation. I worked the 13 Colony Event and got all 13 stations. Now I am getting QSL requests from the operators call from at least two of the states. Well, I don't know who I worked, all I know is I worked K2A, K2B, etc. Not everyone ID as there own call.

It's just adding to the confusion. K2B was the only station that ID as a K2B/operator call.  Just an observation.

Steve
KM4FLF
VA3FLF

Joe Cook

Wow,  am i glad this came up. I was just in the same quandary.  I got the same deal, K2whatever sends me an eqsl asn then I get one from the actual operator. I double checked the K2 call against the 13 Colonies Web page and it all seems legit. Now, do i confirm the eqas? Do i add them to my logbook?  Do I aend all that in to LOTW, ect..?
Oh, the drama of it all! If i wanted this kind of stress i would have asked the xyl how her day was.
If they matched up, I confirmed the eqsl, and did nothing further. I hope that was the correct course of action,  but if not, I'll try to do better next time.

JT
KG5KRZ

On Jul 9, 2017 3:02 PM, "oldjavadrinker@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

While we are on this subject, here is an observation. I worked the 13 Colony Event and got all 13 stations. Now I am getting QSL requests from the operators call from at least two of the states. Well, I don't know who I worked, all I know is I worked K2A, K2B, etc. Not everyone ID as there own call.

It's just adding to the confusion. K2B was the only station that ID as a K2B/operator call.  Just an observation.

Steve
KM4FLF
VA3FLF

boat.anchor@...

My personal policy.
Only log and QSL the callsign as used on air.
If the op wants a QSL to his personal call he has to ask to have that contact logged as well.
In other words I must work both calls to QSL both calls.
I do not hestitate to bounce QSLs if they are not in my log.
Barry

---In 070@..., <kg5krz@...> wrote :

Wow,  am i glad this came up. I was just in the same quandary.  I got the same deal, K2whatever sends me an eqsl asn then I get one from the actual operator. I double checked the K2 call against the 13 Colonies Web page and it all seems legit. Now, do i confirm the eqas? Do i add them to my logbook?  Do I aend all that in to LOTW, ect..?
Oh, the drama of it all! If i wanted this kind of stress i would have asked the xyl how her day was.
If they matched up, I confirmed the eqsl, and did nothing further. I hope that was the correct course of action,  but if not, I'll try to do better next time.

JT
KG5KRZ

Steve VA3FLF/KM4FLF

That is what I decided to do as well.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone

---In 070@..., wrote :

Wow,  am i glad this came up. I was just in the same quandary.  I got the same deal, K2whatever sends me an eqsl asn then I get one from the actual operator. I double checked the K2 call against the 13 Colonies Web page and it all seems legit. Now, do i confirm the eqas? Do i add them to my logbook?  Do I aend all that in to LOTW, ect..?
Oh, the drama of it all! If i wanted this kind of stress i would have asked the xyl how her day was.
If they matched up, I confirmed the eqsl, and did nothing further. I hope that was the correct course of action,  but if not, I'll try to do better next time.

JT
KG5KRZ

Jerry N9AVY

Had the same thing happen in past years and that is why  I no longer work 13 colonies.  Kept sending one guy Eqsls telling him his call wasn't in log.  Either they work you with the 1x1 call or the use the 1x1 with their own call with the slash bar.  Think I read somewhere that they only had to ID once an hour, BUT the is against FCC Part 97.

Confusing too say the least !

Jerry  N9AVY  #454

Exactly !   If call is not in the log as worked then it gets bounced.  No one should need a contact that badly unless he's will to work every station with both calls.

Have over 28,000 QSOs in log (many others never retrieved from paper logs)  and one more stateside station is no big deal. Eqsls mean little to me , since I don't chase their awards,and if I have to bounce a couple every now and then , I'm okay with it.  Eqsl is just a courtesy to fellow hams; however, if someone really needs a QSL  I will go to lengths to find him in the log as I mat have busted his call.

Jerry  N9AVY

---In 070@..., wrote :

Wow,  am i glad this came up. I was just in the same quandary.  I got the same deal, K2whatever sends me an eqsl asn then I get one from the actual operator. I double checked the K2 call against the 13 Colonies Web page and it all seems legit. Now, do i confirm the eqas? Do i add them to my logbook?  Do I aend all that in to LOTW, ect..?
Oh, the drama of it all! If i wanted this kind of stress i would have asked the xyl how her day was.
If they matched up, I confirmed the eqsl, and did nothing further. I hope that was the correct course of action,  but if not, I'll try to do better next time.

JT
KG5KRZ

Steve W3HF

Think I read somewhere that they only had to ID once an hour, BUT the is against
> FCC Part 97.

Jerry -

No, that IS the FCC rule

97.119 (d) When transmitting in conjunction with an event of special significance, a station may substitute for its assigned call sign a special event call sign as shown for that station for that period of time on the common data base coordinated, maintained and disseminated by the special event call sign data base coordinators. Additionally, the station must transmit its assigned call sign at least once per hour during such transmissions.

F.R. Ashley

Works both ways Jerry,

I was one of the K2J ops in the 13 Colony event.  I'm getting eQSL's from people I never worked, on band modes I did not work.  I guess the senders got the list of ops and just blanket send QSLs hoping for a match.

13C ops supposed to use the K2# and not like WB4M/K2J, etc.. and not supposed to upload to LoTW or eQSL with their own call attached to the 13 call.   I did have maybe 2 requests to work me with my own call and the 13C call also, which is fine.  If I rec'd a QSL from K2#/W###, I'd reject it.

73 Buddy WB4M

1573

On 7/9/2017 4:46 PM, Jerry n9avy@... [070] wrote:

Had the same thing happen in past years and that is why  I no longer work 13 colonies.  Kept sending one guy Eqsls telling him his call wasn't in log.  Either they work you with the 1x1 call or the use the 1x1 with their own call with the slash bar.  Think I read somewhere that they only had to ID once an hour, BUT the is against FCC Part 97.

Confusing too say the least !

Jerry  N9AVY  #454

Okay Steve ... but you left out a, b, and c of Part 97.119.

"97.119 (a)  Each amateur station , except  a space station or telecommand station, MUST transmit its assigned call sign on its transmitting channel at the end of each communication, and at least EVERY TEN MINUTES during a communication, for the purpose of clearly making the source the source of the transmissions known to those receiving the transmissions. ...  "

Just this first paragraph would put many "special event" stations in violation and as such would warrant a card from an Official Observer.  This is a direct quote that I would use as an OO when sending out an Official Observer Advisory Notice.  A copy of it would go to ARRL and it would be forwarded to FCC  (what they do with it is not known, but tat could all change in very near future).

At any rate, the sending of one's personal QSL for any of 13 Colonies or any other Special Event stations without ID both stations is at the very least - confusing !

Jerry  n9avy

Think I read somewhere that they only had to ID once an hour, BUT the is against
> FCC Part 97.

Jerry -

No, that IS the FCC rule

97.119 (d) When transmitting in conjunction with an event of special significance, a station may substitute for its assigned call sign a special event call sign as shown for that station for that period of time on the common data base coordinated, maintained and disseminated by the special event call sign data base coordinators. Additionally, the station must transmit its assigned call sign at least once per hour during such transmissions.

Buddy:

You have it correct.   Many of those stations who claimed to work you probably didn't listen carefully as you probably were working another station and they just assumed the "599" was for them.  That happens a lot more in contest style operations.  Just reject/ignore them.

Would think you would be okay IDing as  "K2J/WB4M"  as that would indicate to me that control operator was WB4M.  Don't know how that would work for QSLing, but if 13c rules say not to, then they will prevail. But I think on the air FCC Part 97.119 will have to be followed.

 Hope you had fun !

73,

Jerry  N9AVY

ljl2002@att.net

Nope.  Can't use NAA.

That's the call sign of the U.S. Navy VLF site in Cutler Maine.
It was constructed in 1960 and went OTA in 1961.
If you're into looking at super antenna farms or really big tuning parts check out:

There is a ton of pics and great info.

I have a QSL card from them when I was a SWL dated July 4, 1969 on 7455khz CW. ( For you younger Hams that's when they had a ton of coastal CW stations around the globe that you could practice your CW on in prep for your license upgrade.)  Those were the days. Now no costal stations and no code tests.

"The times they are a changing."  (Sorry Bob)

Joe
KA1PPV #1482

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 5:51 PM, "Jerry n9avy@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

Buddy:

You have it correct.   Many of those stations who claimed to work you probably didn't listen carefully as you probably were working another station and they just assumed the "599" was for them.  That happens a lot more in contest style operations.  Just reject/ignore them.

Would think you would be okay IDing as  "K2J/WB4M"  as that would indicate to me that control operator was WB4M.  Don't know how that would work for QSLing, but if 13c rules say not to, then they will prevail. But I think on the air FCC Part 97.119 will have to be followed.

 Hope you had fun !

73,

Jerry  N9AVY

U.S. Amateur stations must have a call sign consisting of  a one or 2 letter prefix beginning with letter A, K, N or W, followed by single digit number (0-9) and a 1 to 3 letter suffix.

Jerry  n9avy

Steve W3HF

Jerry -

You're right, I left that out. But only because that just means the special event station has to identify with the special event callsign (the 1x1) every ten minutes. In the definitions section of Part 97 it says:

97.3 (a)(11)(iii)  Special event call sign system. ... The special event call sign is substituted for the call sign shown on the station license grant while the station is transmitting.

So the ten-minute rule is satisfied by the station using the 1x1 callsign. It's an additional requirement for a station to identify with its assigned callsign once per hour.

FWIW, this was explained to me pretty clearly when I registered for W1A back in 2003, but then again I was the one who actually registered. So I had a couple of personal back-and-forths with W9JJ when he ran the ARRL VEC. I suspect that there is some loss of fidelity when the operators don't interact with the issuer of the 1x1 (i.e., one of the five Special Event Callsign Coordinators).

---In 070@..., <n9avy@...> wrote :

Okay Steve ... but you left out a, b, and c of Part 97.119.

"97.119 (a)  Each amateur station , except  a space station or telecommand station, MUST transmit its assigned call sign on its transmitting channel at the end of each communication, and at least EVERY TEN MINUTES during a communication, for the purpose of clearly making the source the source of the transmissions known to those receiving the transmissions. ...  "

Just this first paragraph would put many "special event" stations in violation and as such would warrant a card from an Official Observer.  This is a direct quote that I would use as an OO when sending out an Official Observer Advisory Notice.  A copy of it would go to ARRL and it would be forwarded to FCC  (what they do with it is not known, but tat could all change in very near future).

At any rate, the sending of one's personal QSL for any of 13 Colonies or any other Special Event stations without ID both stations is at the very least - confusing !

Jerry  n9avy

Think I read somewhere that they only had to ID once an hour, BUT the is against
> FCC Part 97.

Jerry -

No, that IS the FCC rule

97.119 (d) When transmitting in conjunction with an event of special significance, a station may substitute for its assigned call sign a special event call sign as shown for that station for that period of time on the common data base coordinated, maintained and disseminated by the special event call sign data base coordinators. Additionally, the station must transmit its assigned call sign at least once per hour during such transmissions.

What if someone else is operating the Special Event Call ???

This could turn into a problem.

jerry

Think I read somewhere that they only had to ID once an hour, BUT the is against
> FCC Part 97.

Jerry -

No, that IS the FCC rule

97.119 (d) When transmitting in conjunction with an event of special significance, a station may substitute for its assigned call sign a special event call sign as shown for that station for that period of time on the common data base coordinated, maintained and disseminated by the special event call sign data base coordinators. Additionally, the station must transmit its assigned call sign at least once per hour during such transmissions.

Steve W3HF

Jerry -

It certainly does get confusing. And I would assert that it's the responsibility of the person/station who registered the SE call (as the effective licensee of the 1x1 call) to authorize specific operators in a way that would allow unambiguous station identification. If it were me, this would include specific times and bands of operation, and only one station per band/mode at a time.

My recollection (from admittedly 14 years ago) is something like the following:

- I would start with a CQ, but identify me as the operator:

CQ CQ de W1A W1A operated by W3HF k

- For the next (up to) one hour, I could operate identifying only as W1A, through all successive CQs and QSOs

- If I crossed a one-hour-since-last-W3HF-ID, I would have to add the "operated by W3HF" phrase into at least one transmission.

- Continue this until I went QRT, and identify as "operated by W3HF" in the final transmission.

Now of course that leaves potential 58-minute periods when no one would necessarily know that it was W3HF operating W1A. And that's exactly what seems to go on with many of the 1x1 SE stations. (The 13 Colonies event is no different than any of the others.) I don't recall any specific QSOs from my time as W1A, but I do know that I wasn't very busy. My QSOs were few and had lots of time in-between. So I'm sure I chatted a bit more, and provided that identification in most (if not all) QSOs. And since I was the only operator, it really was unambiguous.