More on QSL Cards

Paula K7PAX #1739

Joe, I did the same using a picture I took. It is uniquely my area - view of Mt Baker across the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Breathtaking! Check it out on QRZ.

Paula K7PAX

On Jul 7, 2017, at 11:07 AM, 'ljl2002@...' joe_molon@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

Bill,
I decided to put one of my photographs on my card.  I wanted something that said NEW ENGLAND so I think that fall foliage does well in that regard.
Someday if I move to AZ I'll replace it with a cactus. hi hi.

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

On Friday, July 7, 2017 10:39 AM, "Bill Garwood n4gbk@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

The QSL Card thread had changed so here are some additional comments.

I respond to QSL card requests as a courtesy to other ham operators.  (Except for that guy in Cuba who has sent me 10+ cards direct and that guy in France who has sent me 15+ cards via the bureau, I respond to each and every request.  I've sent both of them multiple cards but not duplicates for the same PSK31 QSOs.)

I want my cards to be attractive.  I design the front to help promote things that I am passionate about.  My latest cards have something about NC aviation history and US Coast Guard aviation.  I get them from the same place that Jerry gets his.  1000 cards for under $100.00 delivered.

All of my information is on the other side of the card.  There is no reason to have to flip it over and over to see any of the QSO details.  The back side of the card is a standard form from the card vendor.

All bureau cards are sorted with the back side up showing everything needed to get them moving through the network.

I really don't care whether my cards get permanently stashed in a shoe box or get more prominently displayed in someone's shack.  I'm having fun with ham radio.

Happy Radio and have a great weekend!

Bill N4GBK #1688 FM16

Jim K5SP

Paula, when stationed on Whidbey Island in late 60's, there was a Naval Communications station on the old seaplane base.  I was a Radioman there, and sent out the weather reports for the Straits of Juan de Fuca on a ship/shore common (both USN and commercial ships could copy it) via CW.   Your mentioning of the Straits brought back some old memories.  Was moved from the seaplane base to the transmitter site at Rocky Point about six months into my tour there.  Was watch supervisor operating and maintaining high power hf transmitters.

Jim K5SP

On 7/7/2017 1:33 PM, Paula Johnson hamette@... [070] wrote:

[...]

k9wis@...

I refurbish and restore old qsl designs using Gimp and photoshop for hams who have old ones in their collections they want to restore and reproduce..like antique cards their dads and grandads (even great and great great grandpas) had. I lay out 4 on an 8/5 x 11 sheet and create a word document that they can print on their own printers using glossy card stock. if any of you are interested let me know..
check out my page http://qsl.net/k9wis/
Brian K9WIS

On Friday, July 7, 2017 10:39 AM, "Bill Garwood n4gbk@outlook.com [070]" <070@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

Jerry N9AVY

 Used to do my own cards for  N9AVY/140 (Maxim Birthday Special )  and K9ATI using WB8RCR software  which .
is available if one searches for "WB8RCR QSL Card Maker".

Jerry N9AVY

---- "Paula Johnson hamette@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:
> Joe, I did the same using a picture I took. It is uniquely my area - view of Mt Baker across the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Breathtaking! Check it out on QRZ.
>
> Paula K7PAX
>
> On Jul 7, 2017, at 11:07 AM, 'ljl2002@...' joe_molon@... [070] <070@...> wrote:
>
> Bill,
> I decided to put one of my photographs on my card. I wanted something that said NEW ENGLAND so I think that fall foliage does well in that regard.
> Someday if I move to AZ I'll replace it with a cactus. hi hi.
>
> Joe
> KA1PPV #1482
>

> On Friday, July 7, 2017 10:39 AM, "Bill Garwood n4gbk@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:
>

> The QSL Card thread had changed so here are some additional comments.
>
> I respond to QSL card requests as a courtesy to other ham operators. (Except for that guy in Cuba who has sent me 10+ cards direct and that guy in France who has sent me 15+ cards via the bureau, I respond to each and every request. I've sent both of them multiple cards but not duplicates for the same PSK31 QSOs.)
>
> I want my cards to be attractive. I design the front to help promote things that I am passionate about. My latest cards have something about NC aviation history and US Coast Guard aviation. I get them from the same place that Jerry gets his. 1000 cards for under $100.00 delivered.
>
> All of my information is on the other side of the card. There is no reason to have to flip it over and over to see any of the QSO details. The back side of the card is a standard form from the card vendor.
>
> All bureau cards are sorted with the back side up showing everything needed to get them moving through the network.
>
> I really don't care whether my cards get permanently stashed in a shoe box or get more prominently displayed in someone's shack. I'm having fun with ham radio.
>
> Happy Radio and have a great weekend!
>
> Bill N4GBK #1688 FM16

Jon Greene - wx5nco <wx5nco@...>

I've got a "newbie" question on QSL cards.  I've never had qsl cards made.  When I was active on HF, a few years ago, I thought about having some made, but never did.  I even thought about printing my own.
Now, my question is, why was the qsl card made 3½x5½ and not 3x5 or 4x6 so we could use a standard unlined index card?
Just my random thoughts of the day. hihi
Jon

73
Jon Greene WX5NCO
Tulsa, Oklahoma EM26
070 - 592
30DMC - 1233
DMC - 741
EPC - 5134
1010 - 74420

On Saturday, July 8, 2017, 12:12:41 AM CDT, Jerry n9avy@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

 Used to do my own cards for  N9AVY/140 (Maxim Birthday Special )  and K9ATI using WB8RCR software  which .
is available if one searches for "WB8RCR QSL Card Maker".

Jerry N9AVY

I refurbish and restore old qsl designs using Gimp and photoshop for hams who have old ones in their collections they want to restore and reproduce..like antique cards their dads and grandads (even great and great great grandpas) had. I lay out 4 on an 8/5 x 11 sheet and create a word document that they can print on their own printers using glossy card stock. if any of you are interested let me know..
check out my page http://qsl.net/k9wis/
Brian K9WIS

---- "Paula Johnson hamette@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:
> Joe, I did the same using a picture I took. It is uniquely my area - view of Mt Baker across the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Breathtaking! Check it out on QRZ.
>
> Paula K7PAX
>
> On Jul 7, 2017, at 11:07 AM, 'ljl2002@...' joe_molon@... [070] <070@...> wrote:
>
> Bill,
> I decided to put one of my photographs on my card. I wanted something that said NEW ENGLAND so I think that fall foliage does well in that regard.
> Someday if I move to AZ I'll replace it with a cactus. hi hi.
>
> Joe
> KA1PPV #1482
>

> On Friday, July 7, 2017 10:39 AM, "Bill Garwood n4gbk@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:
>

> The QSL Card thread had changed so here are some additional comments.
>
> I respond to QSL card requests as a courtesy to other ham operators. (Except for that guy in Cuba who has sent me 10+ cards direct and that guy in France who has sent me 15+ cards via the bureau, I respond to each and every request. I've sent both of them multiple cards but not duplicates for the same PSK31 QSOs.)
>
> I want my cards to be attractive. I design the front to help promote things that I am passionate about. My latest cards have something about NC aviation history and US Coast Guard aviation. I get them from the same place that Jerry gets his. 1000 cards for under $100.00 delivered.
>
> All of my information is on the other side of the card. There is no reason to have to flip it over and over to see any of the QSO details. The back side of the card is a standard form from the card vendor.
>
> All bureau cards are sorted with the back side up showing everything needed to get them moving through the network.
>
> I really don't care whether my cards get permanently stashed in a shoe box or get more prominently displayed in someone's shack. I'm having fun with ham radio.
>
> Happy Radio and have a great weekend!
>
> Bill N4GBK #1688 FM16

Jerry N9AVY

Postal regulations !    They vary from U.S.  to Europe and other parts of world.  Many QSL cards are sent as postcards... it's a few cents cheaper

The standard 3 x 5 " index card is no longer acceptable as a postcard ... I think it may be because of cancelling machines in use today.

 The standard size now seems to  be  3   1/2  x  5   1/2  inches.   Some DX cards are 4 x 5  3/4 inches.  These seem to be the standards, but with bureau shipments they can be smaller (lighter weight - hence more cards per pound).

Using index cards for QSLs you would also run the risk of tearing/folding/creasing while going though postal system.

Earlier , I mentioned the WB8RCR  software which is free on the net.  Most office supply stores sell card stock by Avery which is postcard sized and comes 4 to a sheet. Cardstock is perforated and is easily separated for use. You can print this all with your computer/printer.  Have used this for QSLs and other applications -  works great.

Jerry  N9AVY

I refurbish and restore old qsl designs using Gimp and photoshop for hams who have old ones in their collections they want to restore and reproduce..like antique cards their dads and grandads (even great and great great grandpas) had. I lay out 4 on an 8/5 x 11 sheet and create a word document that they can print on their own printers using glossy card stock. if any of you are interested let me know..
check out my page http://qsl.net/k9wis/
Brian K9WIS

---- "Paula Johnson hamette@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:
> Joe, I did the same using a picture I took. It is uniquely my area - view of Mt Baker across the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Breathtaking! Check it out on QRZ.
>
> Paula K7PAX
>
> On Jul 7, 2017, at 11:07 AM, 'ljl2002@...' joe_molon@... [070] <070@...> wrote:
>
> Bill,
> I decided to put one of my photographs on my card. I wanted something that said NEW ENGLAND so I think that fall foliage does well in that regard.
> Someday if I move to AZ I'll replace it with a cactus. hi hi.
>
> Joe
> KA1PPV #1482
>

> On Friday, July 7, 2017 10:39 AM, "Bill Garwood n4gbk@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:
>

> The QSL Card thread had changed so here are some additional comments.
>
> I respond to QSL card requests as a courtesy to other ham operators. (Except for that guy in Cuba who has sent me 10+ cards direct and that guy in France who has sent me 15+ cards via the bureau, I respond to each and every request. I've sent both of them multiple cards but not duplicates for the same PSK31 QSOs.)
>
> I want my cards to be attractive. I design the front to help promote things that I am passionate about. My latest cards have something about NC aviation history and US Coast Guard aviation. I get them from the same place that Jerry gets his. 1000 cards for under $100.00 delivered.
>
> All of my information is on the other side of the card. There is no reason to have to flip it over and over to see any of the QSO details. The back side of the card is a standard form from the card vendor.
>
> All bureau cards are sorted with the back side up showing everything needed to get them moving through the network.
>
> I really don't care whether my cards get permanently stashed in a shoe box or get more prominently displayed in someone's shack. I'm having fun with ham radio.
>
> Happy Radio and have a great weekend!
>
> Bill N4GBK #1688 FM16

ljl2002@att.net

Paula,
Nice!
Great card. Says it all.
With any luck I'll be able to get in it my collection some day.
73
Joe
KA1PPV

> [...]

> I want my cards to be attractive. I design the front to help promote things that I am passionate about. My latest cards have something about NC aviation history and US Coast Guard aviation. I get them from the same place that Jerry gets his. 1000 cards for under $100.00 delivered.
>
> All of my information is on the other side of the card. There is no reason to have to flip it over and over to see any of the QSO details. The back side of the card is a standard form from the card vendor.
>
> All bureau cards are sorted with the back side up showing everything needed to get them moving through the network.
>
> I really don't care whether my cards get permanently stashed in a shoe box or get more prominently displayed in someone's shack. I'm having fun with ham radio.

Bill Williams

Jon,

The standard USPS post card is or at least was 3 1/2 by 5 1/2.  I have not seen a current post card so have no idea is they even still sell them.

Bill
AG4QX

On Sat, Jul 8, 2017 at 11:10 AM, Jon Greene - wx5nco wx5nco@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

> [...]

> I want my cards to be attractive. I design the front to help promote things that I am passionate about. My latest cards have something about NC aviation history and US Coast Guard aviation. I get them from the same place that Jerry gets his. 1000 cards for under $100.00 delivered.
>
> All of my information is on the other side of the card. There is no reason to have to flip it over and over to see any of the QSO details. The back side of the card is a standard form from the card vendor.
>
> All bureau cards are sorted with the back side up showing everything needed to get them moving through the network.
>
> I really don't care whether my cards get permanently stashed in a shoe box or get more prominently displayed in someone's shack. I'm having fun with ham radio.

boat.anchor@...

Jerry

I also have used this software in the past but when my computer decided to be a sheep and upgraded itself to WIN10 the application quit working. I did not pursue it as I felt the cost of paper and ink probably made it cheaper to have someone else do the printing. The real advantage of this method was the ability to print only as many cards as you need therefore avoiding the financial hit of a large order. If someone can confirm it still works with WIN10 I will revisit it
TIA
Barry

---In 070@..., <n9avy@...> wrote :

 Used to do my own cards for  N9AVY/140 (Maxim Birthday Special )  and K9ATI using WB8RCR software  which .
is available if one searches for "WB8RCR QSL Card Maker".

Jerry N9AVY

Richard Rohrer

Hi Barry,

I just downloaded the WB8RCR QSL Card Maker to my win10 computer and it seems to run with no problem.  The setup did not seem to work, but just starting the program from the directory worked fine.

73
Dick
KC3eF

boat.anchor@...

TVM Dick
Barry

---In 070@..., <kc3ef@...> wrote :

Hi Barry,

I just downloaded the WB8RCR QSL Card Maker to my win10 computer and it seems to run with no problem.  The setup did not seem to work, but just starting the program from the directory worked fine.

73
Dick
KC3eF

Scotty W7PSK

I use card stock from HamStuff by W7NN then I print them out in batches which is why I warn that Im a little slow as I wait till I get 10 sheets full to print. They are inexpensive and you get 100 pre perforated sheets.

Scotty W7PSK

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 1:40 PM, "boat.anchor@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

TVM Dick
Barry