CE1ANF CQ'n on 20m at 20:36 zulu

JEFF WALSH

W3WMU
BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS.

Rick - N7WE

Thanks for the spot Jeff.  I just caught the trace and another Caribbean station started calling CQ right smack on top of him.  He's now working other stations and I only catch a bit of the CE's call sign in breaks in their QSO.  Frustrating.  But thanks for the spot.  Keep them coming.  Need all the help I can get or I'm not going to make the 20 by year end!

ljl2002@att.net

Rick,
Don't ya just hate it when that happens?  I can't tell you how many times that I have been set to grab a station and they get completely wiped out or someone comes on immediately adjacent and you can't copy either one.  You would think that as narrow a signal as we have that it wouldn't happen as it does.  I think that it is proportional to the value of the DX.
I don't know why needed stations or DX stations seem to attract this attention so much.  RF magnets at work?
Condx have been really crappy here for the last few months.  The 20m band is only really open for a few hours a day but strong signals have been coming in from Europe so I guess there is hope.
73
Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

On Saturday, April 29, 2017 4:56 PM, "n7we1980@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

Thanks for the spot Jeff.  I just caught the trace and another Caribbean station started calling CQ right smack on top of him.  He's now working other stations and I only catch a bit of the CE's call sign in breaks in their QSO.  Frustrating.  But thanks for the spot.  Keep them coming.  Need all the help I can get or I'm not going to make the 20 by year end!

Yes Joe, I hate it.  On days when I'm feeling forgiving and compassionate, I remind myself that propagation is not always reciprocal and tell myself "They probably couldn't see the other station calling on frequency."

On days when I'm not too understanding (most days) I tell myself "They probably saw a weak trace but couldn't decode the call.  They think if they call CQ right on the station's frequency that they will come back to them, or swing the beam, or up the power and they will bag a rare one."  Then my head goes through possible descriptors - newbie, OBB (operator behaving badly) and LID - being some of the nicer ones.

I usually hang on frequency for a while in hopes I will get another shot.  Most times I give up and spin the knob.  Then I tell myself the only person I can control is me and vow to never do what I just saw done. Deep breaths....and on to the next QSO.

Even with a beam I'll hear stations off the back and sides.  Granted that signals are weaker, but they are there.  Often I'll have beam aimed at Europe  calling CQ and get folks in Southern California answering my CQ.

So a beam isn't always the answer. Most of your transmitted signal will hopefully go in direction you're aimed. Because beams are a horizontally polarized the noise levels will be somewhat lower than those with verticals; yes, vertical antennas are more susceptible to noise. Their are advantages to verticals such as angle of radiation and ease of installation.

When I'm on the air I get the same problems everyone else has to deal with...   2 or more signals so close together neither one can be decoded ...   when working a DX station people will suddenly start calling on top of the DX ... a station showing up with a wide signal that swamps out the waterfall ... and so on.   We all get the same problems and have to deal with them as best we can.

Jerry n9avy #454

BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS.

On Sunday, April 30, 2017 1:08 PM, "n7we1980@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

[...]

Rik,

You nailed it!  That's exactly what I do.
Sometimes it's better just to make the XYL happy and mow the lawn. (That will work for very crappy prop too!)
What's that our British friends say?  Keep calm and carry on.
The sun will come out tomorrow and your shack will be flooded with DX!

73
Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

On Sunday, April 30, 2017 4:42 PM, "JEFF WALSH jeffwalsh1644@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

Rick ....
   I agree with your assessment of different moods of the day.

If I am in a easy going mood that day then it is "The fun of Ham radio"
If I am not in a easy going mood that day then it I "The challenges of Ham radio"

Luckily for me I am having more fun than challenges but I do enjoy the challenges of the PODXS endorsements....hi hi .

73

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU
BUBBAWOOD
[...]

We were just talking about this and guess what happened to me yesterday when I tried to log a station from Luxembourg?
Yep stepped on calling CQ and continued on frequency and Luxembourg was gone.  Never saw him again.  Rats I needed that one too!
I guess he may not have seen either one of us.

Sigh!  Back to the grind.

73
Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

[...]

BUBBAWOOD
[...]

Deep breaths, Joe.  Deep breaths.  Hi hi!

On 5/4/2017 09:17, 'ljl2002@...' joe_molon@... [070] wrote:

Rick,

We were just talking about this and guess what happened to me yesterday when I tried to log a station from Luxembourg?
Yep stepped on calling CQ and continued on frequency and Luxembourg was gone.  Never saw him again.  Rats I needed that one too!
I guess he may not have seen either one of us.

Sigh!  Back to the grind.

73
Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

ljl2002@att.net

Rick,

You are right.  I have to be more Zen-like.

Ohmmmmmmmmmmmm. ( I think that equals about 44K)

See ya!

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482