operating when travelling

Paul Butzi <kg7stv@...>

Ok, after arranging most of this year’s travel so that I could complete the 365/366 endorsement this year, the best laid plans have gone astray and now I’m faced with needing to make QSO’s on may 26th and 27th but will be in Boulder, CO at that time.

The possible solutions I see are:
1) find a way to set my current rig for portable operation
2) acquire/borrow a rig that will let me operate portably, said rig being small enough/light enough to travel by air with.
3) arrange with some ham to use his PSK capable rig at the destination for the 2 days I will need QSO’s

Anyone have other ideas not covered by those options?

To my eye the one that sounds appealing is option 2, as it leaves me not only with a solution to the immediate problem but also gear to operate while I am traveling.

Suggestions on gear for portable operation eagerly solicited.

-p KG7STV
73, don’t forget to smile and have fun

Matthew King - KK4CPS <mrk.twg@...>

Hey, Paul!

I've been most pleased with setting my rig up on 20m/40m/whatever, and turning on the TeamViewer server on the ham computer.  Once you do that, then you can take your laptop or tablet with you, log in to TeamViewer on your computer, and operate DM780/FlDigi/etc just like you were sitting in front of it!

You can test it sitting right in front of your shack computer as if you were on the other side of the country.

Good luck with it! If you need assistance with this setup, just let me know.

73

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708
PODXS 070 Club Executive Director

On Sun, Mar 5, 2017 at 2:58 PM, Paul Butzi kg7stv@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

[...]

Rick - N7WE

Paul - YOU CAN DO IT!  One of the challenges of 365+1 is coming up with unique solutions to getting on air every day.  Fun!

Let me second Matt's suggestion about TeamViewer.  I've used it with a tablet connected via internet to the laptop/rig setup at home.  Works like a champ, but I found the keyboarding on a tablet to be a challenge.  Would have preferred a second laptop.  The neat thing is your ham software only has to be on the home computer.  Any computer with TeamViewer downloaded can be the remote!  I know Paula K7PAX has used it for PSK QSOs so she might have some more insight.

As to portable rigs, be sure to consider QRP - something like the FT-817.  It doesn't have to be DX to count for 365 and if you can set up a schedule on 40 or 80 with someone in the town you will be in, it almost guarantees a QSO.

I've never tried this, but you might check out the possibility of guest operation at a club station in the town you will be visiting. The ARRL website has club listings that you can search by city/state/radius that would be a good starting point. I think Steve W3HF has some sort of arrangement with a club in Denver when he is there on business. He's probably a member of their club.  Might check with him for insight.

Of course, if you want to dream, or you win the lottery, there is the Elecraft KX2 - built in PSK encode/decode where you send via keying CW from the paddles!  80-10m, fits in your shirt pocket, 13 oz, internal battery, 10w out...optional internal ATU, add an extendable whip antenna and you are good to go...a HandiTalki PSK rig!  (If I were rich I'd have one and loan it to you.)

So there are lots of possible solutions.  You can do it.  Keep us posted on how you make it happen!  GL!

Bill Williams

One solution is to visit a club in the area.  Our club would be happy to have someone use one of the radios but getting a member to open the shack on the right day/s might be a problem.

73,
Bill
AG4QX
0398

[...]

John Etling

I’d recommend the Elecraft KX3… but then again that is my choice.

I’m Just Sayin’

73 de K3JAE

John

[...]

Paula K7PAX #1739

Yes, O have used TeamViewer quite a bit for remote operation last year, and will likely do so again this year to catch the 21 days I have left to finish. If you decide to go that route I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Paula K7PAX #1739

On Mar 5, 2017, at 2:07 PM, n7we1980@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

[...]

Steve W3HF

Paul -

I've done all four of these.

1) I've used a quick-and-dirty approach to remote operation: Chrome Remote Desktop. Like some of the other suggestions, you have complete access to anything on the shack computer. As an added bonus, I've also used it to remote into my parents' two computer (for remote tech support) and my daughter's laptop at college (to help her with a statistics assignment.) It's a free download from the Google Play Store. This option has the advantage of being cheap (free) and easy to set up.

2) Many of you have worked me from certain portable operations--VQ9HF, W3HF/KH6, W3HF/3 come to mind. I've operated with both an FT817 and an FT857. The latter made it easier to make QSOs from Diego Garcia. Antenna was from the article in QST back about fifteen (!) years ago, and I carry a small Windows laptop. I've taken that station (literally) halfway around the world, all packed in a single suitcase with my clothes, etc. (The laptop and radio were usually in a carry-on.)

3) I've operated at Bill W7QQ's station in California (back when he lived there), and he has operated from my station here in PA.

4) And I've obviously operated from a number of club stations--W3HF/0, W3HF/6, and W3HF/KH2 were all from clubs of one sort or another. If you can make this work, this may give you a better-equipped station than taking your own.

On 03/05/17, Bill Williams ag4qx@... [070]<070@...> wrote:

[...]

wa3gm

I agree with Steve

I use chrome remote desktop all the time when I am away especially in FL when I go there for the winter.

I can remote back to my station at home and it is almost like being there without the cold weather of course.

I worked the ARRL SSB Contest a few years ago while I was in the way to FL when I was in  the auto train.

73
Greg
Wa3gm

[...]

Just realized that I neglected to say WHICH article in QST.

AD5X, July 2002. Phil updated his design a few times, including a publication on eHam and then finally on his web site, but I'm still using the original design.

Steve

On 03/05/17, Stephen Melachrinos w3hf@... [070]<070@...> wrote:

[...]

David Westbrook

Let me second Matt's suggestion about TeamViewer.  I've used it with a tablet connected via internet to the laptop/rig setup at home.  Works like a champ, but I found the keyboarding on a tablet to be a challenge.

Besides TeamViewer, other options are VNC, Chrome Remote Desktop (mentioned later in this thread), and MS RDP ... (or any other remote control software).

A laptop nor tablet isn't necessary -- team viewer and VNC apps work quite well from a phone!   Keyboarding isn't the best, BUT, it's really not needed if you're just hopping on to snag a 365-credit macro QSO.

It also works quite well from in the house when you can't be in the shack.  I did a bunch of my 365 credits "remote" on phone from another room.

Another option besides remote controlling your station, is to remote control someone else's -- you don't have to find a local club station when travelling, and the logistics are probably much easier, if you can arrange to remote to someone's home station.

73!
--david
KJ4IZW

On Sun, Mar 5, 2017 at 5:07 PM, n7we1980@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

[...]

Alan Sorum WL7CG

All,

I routinely run my station with Chrome Remote Desktop. I use HDR rig control with DM780 and JTDX to work PSK and JT. I only have two antenna ports on my FT-950, so one is normally on the yagi and the other a dipole.

It works on my laptop from wherever I can get online. Eventually I will get a rotor controller that can be directed by HRD.

Alan WL7CG