IOTA QRZ listings

Jerry N9AVY

  Just noticed something that probably has caused problems in past for those chasing IOTA endorsements  and might save future headaches.

IOTA listings on QRZ are sometimes bogus.  For example:  was looking up a station in Kittery, ME and it gives an IOTA listing as NA-137 (West Maine Group).   Being familiar with those parts , I know from experience that Kittery, ME  is not an island.  If one brings up the map that QRZ has, it's plainly visible that it is NOT an island.

So, QRZ  is not the final word on IOTAs.  Don't trust QRZ to be 100% accurate.

Jerry  N9AVY   #454

Les Alverson <kd4sfd2@...>

If I ever had a question, I'd go to https://www.rsgbiota.org/ site.

Les k4lea 1746

On 2/13/2017 11:38, Jerry n9avy@... [070] wrote:

  Just noticed something that probably has caused problems in past for those chasing IOTA endorsements  and might save future headaches.

IOTA listings on QRZ are sometimes bogus.  For example:  was looking up a station in Kittery, ME and it gives an IOTA listing as NA-137 (West Maine Group).   Being familiar with those parts , I know from experience that Kittery, ME  is not an island.  If one brings up the map that QRZ has, it's plainly visible that it is NOT an island.

So, QRZ  is not the final word on IOTAs.  Don't trust QRZ to be 100% accurate.

Jerry  N9AVY   #454

Joseph Miller <kj8o.ham@...>

I could not agree with you more Jerry!!! QRZ get it's information from the FCC database (they receive daily updates). Since County, Grid square and IOTA is not recorded in the FCC database, the ​user must supply the information.  If a ham moves from one area to another, the previous user supplied info stays the same until the ham changes it.

At least this has been my experience, your mileage may vary....

73 de Joe KJ8O

--
Joe Miller, KJ8O
Affiliated Club Coordinator

Matthew King - AK4MK

Jerry has nailed it - I'll go so far to say that our experience shows QRZ listing (at least for the US) are more often wrong regarding IOTA information than not!

Many of the coastal states have ambiguous IOTA names like "Georgia State Group."  We believe people, not knowing what "IOTA" means, are picking "what sounds right" when filling out their QRZ pages. Sadly, this information even finds its way into the eQSL and LOTW systems!

The bottom line is to be VERY sure about IOTA information before including in your log. That's why we check IOTA submissions so carefully (shout out to Loren McCullough, WA3WZR, our IOTA submission validation man!) for accuracy before approving them.

Here's a couple very useful sites:

Not sure where a grid square really is? Enter it in the appropriate search box here and be sure! Great for checking portable ops (to be sure you don't still have the home grid) and IOTA entities

Just enter the IOTA entity number in the search box and select FULL INFORMATION in the results page. That'll give you tabs to information, maps, activations, etc... Entering call will show you acitivations that have been credited to that call - great for checking DXpeditions and portable ops. Do remember, though, that just because it's not listed here doesn't mean that it's not valid. If somebody gives you a grid over the air, claims to be on an island, and the above link shows that grid to be the island they're claiming to be on, you're probably good to go!

Y'all have fun chasing them - just try to give them a second look, please!

73

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708
PODXS 070 Club Executive Director

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 11:38 AM, Jerry n9avy@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

  Just noticed something that probably has caused problems in past for those chasing IOTA endorsements  and might save future headaches.

IOTA listings on QRZ are sometimes bogus.  For example:  was looking up a station in Kittery, ME and it gives an IOTA listing as NA-137 (West Maine Group).   Being familiar with those parts , I know from experience that Kittery, ME  is not an island.  If one brings up the map that QRZ has, it's plainly visible that it is NOT an island.

So, QRZ  is not the final word on IOTAs.  Don't trust QRZ to be 100% accurate.

Jerry  N9AVY   #454

Loren McCullough - WA3WZR

Thanks for spreading the word Jerry. QRZ IOTA data is my worst nightmare. A close second are the stations that want paper so badly that they fill in IOTA data based on what sounds right and that is for QSOs from all over the world.

73, Loren WA3WZR

ljl2002@att.net

I have found that the Google Earth overlay offered by RSGB is extremely accurate because it comes from the source.

If you already have Google Earth on your computer you can download an overlay that will accurately identify which islands are in what group.  I've never had a problem with it.

It is located at:  www.rsgbiota/help/googleEarthFile.php

73
Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 7:32 PM, "wa3wzr@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

Thanks for spreading the word Jerry. QRZ IOTA data is my worst nightmare. A close second are the stations that want paper so badly that they fill in IOTA data based on what sounds right and that is for QSOs from all over the world.

73, Loren WA3WZR

Rick - N7WE

Thank you Joe!  Very helpful and I didn't know of that overlay.

Loren McCullough - WA3WZR

There is also a website that displays the same thing:

Just a caution with any of these graphical methods.  Do not use the outline displayed on the map exclusively, you must also check to see if the island is included in the IOTA group.  Not all islands are included in IOTA and there are also overlapping areas, if you go exclusively by the outline (rectangular outline area).  Also the QTH must be on an island, even though the outline may include mainland!

The classic example of an overlay involves Cuba and it's coastal islands.  There are 7 IOTA groups specifically for Cuba, including the main island.  The 6 other IOTA groups all overlay the main island (and sometime each other) at some point, if you go strictly by the outline you may choose the incorrect IOTA group.  You must always check the islands in the IOTA group.

73 and Happy IOTA Hunting

Loren - WA3WZR