Why not QSL?

Steve VA3FLF/KM4FLF

The last topic of discussion delved into the area of QSL'ing a bit. I didn't want to continue that string but it does make me want to vent a little bit. Years ago as a novice in the 70's the only QSL'ing we did was those wonderful cards we hung up all over the shack. I got out of the hobby for many years after I retired from Army and Law Enforcement I jumped back into hamming in 2014.

Wow, now we have all sorts of methods of QSL'ing. We have bureau's , LoTW, eQSL, HRDnet, etc etc...and oh by the way, old faithful, USPS QSL cards.  With all these methods it would seem so easy to QSL a contact...wouldn't it?  I mean most logging programs can actually upload it to the site automatically or at least with a click of the mouse.

So why am I at LoTW 49% QSL rate, eQSL at 63%, and a handful of QSL cards. The cards, I understand, postage, time, whatever. But when all one has to do is click a mouse to sent TNX for QSO, I don't understand.
Some operators (ME), have 6 or 7 QSO's from MA, no QSL, NM 4, no QSL...shall I go on?

You almost have to work your WAS two times to get enough QSL's to confirm your award.  I QSL 100% to LoTW and eQSL, and even QRZ and it is not a big effort or inconvenience.  Anyway, I think we deserve to do better for each other. You never know who needs that one QSO to complete an award.

Nothing in this is directed at any one particular ham, club, or group. It is just a little rant on a Sunday night from a part time curmudgeon. :).

Happy QSL'ing all,

73 Steve
KM4FLF/VE3

Curt Sanders

I can't explain it either. I love receiving and giving QSL cards. Cards are the final courtesy of a contact. I was like you, avid SWLer during my teens, came back last 22 years as a ham. Big difference in last few years of amateur radio.  The culture has changed - not sure for the best either. As an "old" fuddy duddy ham, in the past we never discussed (1) politics, (2) religion, and (3) sex. Now?? Geez, get on 80 meters and listen to all that trash! Quickly becoming CB radio in my opinion.
73 de Curt, K3URT, 100% verifier!

On Jan 29, 2017, at 8:54 PM, oldjavadrinker@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

[...]

Jerry N9AVY

Steve:

Like to share with you & others what I found after 40 years in ham radio.

LoTW is my main QSL program and out 0f 26840 Q's uploaded, only about 58%  have QSLed.  This includes SSB, CW, RTTY and PSK31 and maybe some other digital modes.

On Eqsl the percentage will be much lower with only about 10931 Q's there.

What I have noticed and heard from fellow DXers is that RTTY and CW seem to have a higher percentage of returns.

In my Novice days in late 70's ,  QSLs with fellow Novices were few and far between. May have worked WAS, but many who said they'd QSL never did.

With 336  countries confirmed, I've spent a small fortune on shipping QSLs with return postage.  Yes, lost a bunch of "green stamps"  (dollar bills and fives), too.  Some countries took multiple mailings. These days with all the postage increases worldwide, a simple DXCC by mail would be over $500 if you figure postage, return postage, envelopes, and cost of QSL cards.

Thankfully, we have sites like LoTW , Eqsl and other which are on the net and QSLing is a lot simpler.  This has made it easier for all of us.  Yet there seems to be those stations who won't QSL for some reason. Why, I don't know ?

All any of us can do is to QSL via whatever we use and hope the other guy answers. I agree with you that sending a confirmation is so easy "... even a caveman can do it..." !

This is aimed at no one... just the deadbeats who don't QSL even though their QRZ page says they do. (Might also point out that there are certain DX stations who make a business by selling QSLs , yes, they ask for $5 per card and sometimes they have the card sent though a U.S. address , adding insult to injury.)

Jerry  N9AVY   #454

[...]

Oops !  Error in calculating percentage   ... not 58%, but more like 41 %.

Was absent the day we had math in school, hi !

Jerry N9AVY #454

P.S.  -- Heard most people get around 33% QSLs.

[...]

Mike Tarnowsky

Excellent post, I am waiting for one state that I worked, sent my eqsl (they do use it) but nothing sent back. It is so easy now to respond but why don't they? My Fldigi auto logs to N3FJP and Eqsl gets sent automatically. I still have to manually enter psk31 into QRZ and send LOTW monthly. My WSJT-x auto logs into all three and sends eqsl automatically. Curiously, I periodically will get an eqsl that I have no log entry for. I don't log incomplete qso's, so I wonder if that is what they are.
Thanks all, Mike T., WB2YJS

Sent from my iPad

Jerry N9AVY

Eqsl's that don't match your logs are usually an error of some sort such as wrong time/date, wrong/mistaken call, partial QSO,  or as Eqsl once stated there are those out there who want to get WAS/DXCC  without getting on the air.  Have had a few in the past.

Jerry  N9AVY  #454

Excellent post, I am waiting for one state that I worked, sent my eqsl (they do use it) but nothing sent back. It is so easy now to respond but why don't they? My Fldigi auto logs to N3FJP and Eqsl gets sent automatically. I still have to manually enter psk31 into QRZ and send LOTW monthly. My WSJT-x auto logs into all three and sends eqsl automatically. Curiously, I periodically will get an eqsl that I have no log entry for. I don't log incomplete qso's, so I wonder if that is what they are.
Thanks all, Mike T., WB2YJS

Sent from my iPad

Paula K7PAX #1739

Mike, I get  a fair number of eQSLs that aren’t in my log also. Like you, I do not log incomplete QSOs, and I believe that is what most are.

Paula K7PAX

Excellent post, I am waiting for one state that I worked, sent my eqsl (they do use it) but nothing sent back. It is so easy now to respond but why don't they? My Fldigi auto logs to N3FJP and Eqsl gets sent automatically. I still have to manually enter psk31 into QRZ and send LOTW monthly. My WSJT-x auto logs into all three and sends eqsl automatically. Curiously, I periodically will get an eqsl that I have no log entry for. I don't log incomplete qso's, so I wonder if that is what they are.
Thanks all, Mike T., WB2YJS

Sent from my iPad

Joseph Miller <kj8o.ham@...>

Hi Jerry and the group,

A large number of QSL's that I reject on eQSL are for outdated call signs. KZ#ZZZ upgrades to K#ZZZ, then uploads his entire logbook to both the new and the old call sign. If I make a contact with K#ZZZ, I will confirm it, everything else gets rejected. Note, I get this a lot with European hams where many countries allow a ham to legally have more than one call sign. --- I will research these and confirm accordingly depending on the mood I'm in at the time....

VY 73 de Joe KJ8O

#1604 LONP #255
david@graniteweb.com

On Jan 30, 2017, at 10:10, WP4DT-JOSE OSUBA wp4dt@hotmail.com [070] <070@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

That happens with lots of frequencies....In this year 2017 they are confirming in the log In my year 2010

incredible

Rick - N7WE

I've found that getting confirming QSLs when you are working on awards can be very frustrating.  This is my way of dealing with it.  YMMV.

It begins with the belief that life is divided into three parts:  Things you can control, things you can't control but can influence, and things you can neither control nor influence.  Happiness in life depends on knowing which is which.

While struggling to get DXCC (all PSK31) I used emails to solicit missing LoTW confirmations.  I was careful to only email those who indicated they used LoTW and approached it with the: "Here is my log info.  Do I have it right?"  Sometimes I got the QSL and sometimes I didn't.  That was trying to "influence" what I couldn't control.

The only thing I can control is me.  And sometimes I'm not to good at that!  Hi hi!  So I choose to upload everything in my log on a regular basis.  LoTW, eQSL, and QRZ.  I don't log incomplete QSOs.  And I try to remember even though I log it as a completed QSO on my end, the other guy may have a different experience.

My parents used to tell me "Anything worth having is worth waiting for."  I think that's right.  As to DXCC-Digital, the journey was much more enjoyable than actually having it.

Amen David !

Those same people are the same ones who whine & complain when the FCC  does something negative to ham radio and a quick to blame ARRL.

THE USE OF LOTW is NOT limited to MEMBERS ONLY.  Anyone can use LoTW, member or not.  The only time membership is required is when awards are applied for and then it's about 15 cents per confirmation which is relatively cheap.  Much cheaper over a longer time and you don't through the panic of saying good-bye to a large chuck of your hard-earned cash in one lump.

Most of the PSK/digital operators seem to prefer using Eqsl  vs. LoTW for some reason.  Maybe the fact the HRD and other software incorporates Eqsl as an auto upload ???

Still don't know why some hams wait so long to QSL  or just blow folks off  with zero response.   Always heard that the final courtesy of a QSO  is a QSL.  Guess some hams just have no manners.

Jerry

"Whether rumor or not, I have also heard many people don’t use LoTW because they don’t support ARRL or its political views.  I find that somewhat odd since they are pretty much the only voice in Washington that is _for_ our hobby.  Like it or not, they are the best (i.e., only) representation we have."

—
David, K9DWR
#1604 LONP #255
david@...

Fr Richard R

To quickly and briefly jump in here.......
I love to QSL, both with a card and electronically: though I have to confess I have a very small stack of cards that I need to respond to.

I use all the electronic log books, LoTW, EQsl, QRZ etc and upload to them either immediately or soon.

I do get confirmations from years ago though....... as others decide to get into the electronic on line age.......

Ok, done, thanks for listening.

Fr Richard
WB8YXF
070 #2328

#1604 LONP #255
david@...

Randy True

RR, it takes me 2 minutes to upload my contacts to LoTW every day. And, like you said , it's FREE.

Randy

W4RTT

#1604 LONP #255
david@...

ljl2002@att.net

A possible reason for the long delay is maybe that particular Ham has only recently registered with EQSL and decided to upload his entire log from the beginning of time.  I've had QSL's from 7 years ago suddenly show up.
The reason that I signed up for the various logging systems is because so many had asked me for them.  Personally I still enjoy receiving and envelope in the mail with something inside that does not say "you owe".
73
Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

#1604 LONP #255
david@...

Jerry N9AVY

Joe:

Some guys are just slow and after they've worked everything, then they decide to QSL, hi !

My oldest QSL came in after 38 years...

If you watch LoTW and Eqsl, you can see the new guys who after years finally decided to use services.

Jerry  n9avy  #454

#1604 LONP #255
david@...

Jerry N9AVY

Oops !  was a couple years off. Was actually 36 years  for a YU contact in 1980 on 10m  which came in during 2016.

Looking through LoTW entries there were many  which came through from 2001 and all those years in between. So, some folks either are really slow or are catching up with logs.

jerry

#1604 LONP #255
david@...