Computer Recommendations Needed

Bill Garwood

Hi Folks,

I need some recommendations for a new PC to use in my shack.  I currently have 5+ year old Windows Vista machine and a 10+ year old Windows XP machine, both are worn out and the software is out of date.  It is time to get something new.

I will be using the new PC for ham radio internet (LoTW, eQSL, ClubLog etc.) and for logging and PSK operation.  It will not be for gaming, videos or similar.  I'd prefer a desktop but a laptop would work as long as I can hook up the monitor, keyboard and mouse.  I already have a nice LED monitor.

Pass along any suggestions you have for make and model that are currently on the market.  I can buy either on-line or at a computer store, Best Buy, Office Max, even WalMart etc.  Price is not a big deal as I'm willing to spend a bit more for quality and reliability.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

Bill N4GBK #1688 FM16 NC

Paul Butzi <kg7stv@...>

I use a raspberry Pi model 2 for this, I run fldigi.  Fldigi autopuploads to eQSL.  I run TQSL to upload to LoTW but I understand there’s a version for the Raspberry Pi as well.

Inexpensive, small, low power consumption, and it’s been working just fine for about 18 months now.

You don’t need a lot of compute power.  If you’re going to do web browsing it would probably be worth it to use a Raspberry Pi model 3 with a bit more oomph.

-p KG7STV
73, don’t forget to smile and have fun

On Nov 22, 2016, at 10:53 AM, Bill Garwood n4gbk@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike Flowers

Hi Bill,

Given the anticipated usage you describe, this ASUS laptop might be worth a look:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CGGOUJM/?tag=techforpennies4-20

I bought this for our Grandson to take to college, and got some hands-on time with it and I was impressed.   Our Grandson likes it a lot, too.

IMHO, it’s very good value for the money – so much so I’m thinking seriously of ordering one for myself.

- 73 and good DX de Mike, K6MKF, Past President - NCDXC

[...]

Richard Wright <ab4rw@...>

K5PAX

Hi Bill:

If you choose hardware running Windows 7/8/10 you may run into software wrinkles. My legacy logging program required a runtime adjustment. Your programs might require you to let them run under administrator permissions or under earlier Windows virtual environments. Happily, both are easy to do if you need to.

Let me know if you run into any problems and I can help.

Harvey
K5PAX

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 22, 2016, at 11:53 AM, Bill Garwood n4gbk@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

[...]

Les Alverson <kd4sfd2@...>

Nowadays there seems to be not much difference between the computers.� I have a home-brew that I use for my radio work and gaming.� My back-up(s) are laptops.� I have a Dell w/touchscreen that is my main computer for everything else. You'll need to use usb to serial adapters now as serial ports are gone (except in desktops that you can add it).

I'd buy what fits your budget/lifestyle.

Les k4lea 1746

On 11/22/2016 13:53, Bill Garwood n4gbk@... [070] wrote:
�

[...]

Drew from Zhrodague

On 11/22/16 1:53 PM, Bill Garwood n4gbk@outlook.com [070] wrote:

Hi Folks,

I need some recommendations for a new PC to use in my shack. I
currently have 5+ year old Windows Vista machine and a 10+ year old
Windows XP machine, both are worn out and the software is out of date.
It is time to get something new.

I will be using the new PC for ham radio internet (LoTW, eQSL, ClubLog
etc.) and for logging and PSK operation. It will not be for gaming,
videos or similar. I'd prefer a desktop but a laptop would work as long
as I can hook up the monitor, keyboard and mouse. I already have a nice
LED monitor.

Pass along any suggestions you have for make and model that are
currently on the market. I can buy either on-line or at a computer
store, Best Buy, Office Max, even WalMart etc. Price is not a big deal
as I'm willing to spend a bit more for quality and reliability.
You may already have a junk PC in a closet - use that, and put Ubuntu on it. If you're used to Windows, it shouldn't be too difficult to get used to. Ubuntu will run really nicely on old/tiny computers. In fact, I use a thin-client instead of a PC (almost as functional as a RPi), and fldigi/CHIRP run smoothly with Ubuntu.

--

Drew from Zhrodague
drew@zhrodague.net

"Yeah, yeah, yeah!" - Rob Zombie