If you are not playing in the Firecracker...

John Bower <poppajohnbower@...>

K2H MA 13 colonies is on 40m.
Why not make some firecracker QSO's even if your state will not allow fireworks!!
Look forward to seeing you
John KE4JB

keitheuffer@...

Got you last night, John, good to cu agn.  More fireworks around here than I can handle and they are illegal in my town except for city sponsored shows.  Didn't stop them in my neighborhood last night during the contest, bang boom all the time I was on the air.  Enjoyed my 30 contacts, actually 31, but that fellow was too busy lecturing me on my operating skills telling me to go read his QRZ page about contesting so I'll leave him off the list.  Wanted to send him an email but he doesn't show one on his QRZ page.  Curious.  He wasn't even following the recommended CQ call and few were answering him.  Takes all kinds of hams...
KT4EP

John Bower <poppajohnbower@...>

Agree it takes all types thanks for the contact. Have a blessed and safe  4th.
John KE4JB

On Jul 3, 2016 12:12 PM, "keitheuffer@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

Got you last night, John, good to cu agn.  More fireworks around here than I can handle and they are illegal in my town except for city sponsored shows.  Didn't stop them in my neighborhood last night during the contest, bang boom all the time I was on the air.  Enjoyed my 30 contacts, actually 31, but that fellow was too busy lecturing me on my operating skills telling me to go read his QRZ page about contesting so I'll leave him off the list.  Wanted to send him an email but he doesn't show one on his QRZ page.  Curious.  He wasn't even following the recommended CQ call and few were answering him.  Takes all kinds of hams...

KT4EP

gearymcdowell@...

I am trying to play, won't be a six hour stretch for me so no contest points for me, I probably won't submit for points unless I can get a good six hour run with contacts, but maybe I can help others with an Oklahoma contact.  Conditions and/or my station are not cooperating again, but Saturday night when storms moved through it was excellent, so-so Sunday morning.  I'll be on and off trying to catch 070 members and give them a point.
73 and GL everyone,
Geary, KE5IRK

Agree it takes all types thanks for the contact. Have a blessed and safe  4th.
John KE4JB
On Jul 3, 2016 12:12 PM, "keitheuffer@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

Got you last night, John, good to cu agn.  More fireworks around here than I can handle and they are illegal in my town except for city sponsored shows.  Didn't stop them in my neighborhood last night during the contest, bang boom all the time I was on the air.  Enjoyed my 30 contacts, actually 31, but that fellow was too busy lecturing me on my operating skills telling me to go read his QRZ page about contesting so I'll leave him off the list.  Wanted to send him an email but he doesn't show one on his QRZ page.  Curious.  He wasn't even following the recommended CQ call and few were answering him.  Takes all kinds of hams...
KT4EP

David Westbrook

All Logs big & small wanted!  I had about 25 and also submitted my elmer's log w 5.

73
Kj4izw

On Jul 3, 2016 12:43 PM, "gearymcdowell@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

[...]

Okay, I'll submit my log then when it is over, the band is really way in and way out here so far today.  Glad I am retired and can spend a lot of time watching the waterfall.  HI HI
Geary, KE5IRK

Agree it takes all types thanks for the contact. Have a blessed and safe  4th.
John KE4JB
On Jul 3, 2016 12:12 PM, "keitheuffer@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

Got you last night, John, good to cu agn.  More fireworks around here than I can handle and they are illegal in my town except for city sponsored shows.  Didn't stop them in my neighborhood last night during the contest, bang boom all the time I was on the air.  Enjoyed my 30 contacts, actually 31, but that fellow was too busy lecturing me on my operating skills telling me to go read his QRZ page about contesting so I'll leave him off the list.  Wanted to send him an email but he doesn't show one on his QRZ page.  Curious.  He wasn't even following the recommended CQ call and few were answering him.  Takes all kinds of hams...
KT4EP

JEFF WALSH

I  also had the pleasure of qso with the self appointed "qso police" ......he told me I was being redundant by sending 599 MS 599 MS ....he told me only needed 599 MS once .... while copying the mail later during the contest I saw where was telling someone to read his qrz page ..... which I did... he is what I call a "Legend in his own mind"

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU
BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS.

On Sunday, July 3, 2016 10:37 AM, "John Bower poppajohnbower@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

Agree it takes all types thanks for the contact. Have a blessed and safe  4th.
John KE4JB
On Jul 3, 2016 12:12 PM, "keitheuffer@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

Got you last night, John, good to cu agn.  More fireworks around here than I can handle and they are illegal in my town except for city sponsored shows.  Didn't stop them in my neighborhood last night during the contest, bang boom all the time I was on the air.  Enjoyed my 30 contacts, actually 31, but that fellow was too busy lecturing me on my operating skills telling me to go read his QRZ page about contesting so I'll leave him off the list.  Wanted to send him an email but he doesn't show one on his QRZ page.  Curious.  He wasn't even following the recommended CQ call and few were answering him.  Takes all kinds of hams...
KT4EP

Ray Clements

If PSK were an error correcting digital mode, there would be no need of sending 599 MS 599 MS, only 599 MS would be quite sufficient, but because it does not incorporate error correction and contacts are always subject to QSB, QRM and QRN (especially on 40 meters), repeating call signs and exchanges is imperative.

If you were to send only 599 MS, how would he be certain you were not sending 599 MI, 599 MO, 599 MN, or even 599 MX.

I do like you sending 599 MS 599 MS rather than the alternate 599 599 MS MS as I often see. If you send the entire exchange and repeat it, it is easy to copy the exchange in one click to your logging program. The other way, you have to copy 599 and MS separately, or type it in.

Ray N9RWC

BUBBAWOOD
[...]

Ray :

Good point.

There are also a lot of ops out there who never operated anything but digital modes and aren't familiar with SSB/CW  operating practices.  When conditions are marginal  you need to send everything twice because the other guy may not get everything you sent.  CW ops will ask for "fill" by sending "AA" (all after) or something to that effect.

We need to be considerate of other operators and the conditions at their end whether it be  QSB, QRN or QSB.
No need for "Kilocycle (kilohertz) Kops". Best things to do when you run across one is to ignore him or send QRZ ? ...

Jerry N9AVY  #454

I  also had the pleasure of qso with the self appointed "qso police" ......he told me I was being redundant by sending 599 MS 599 MS ....he told me only needed 599 MS once .... while copying the mail later during the contest I saw where was telling someone to read his qrz page ..... which I did... he is what I call a "Legend in his own mind"

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU
BUBBAWOOD
[...]

I'm guessing the guy was a ssb-cw contester..  The repeat is common for rtty for the exact reasons you said.. Though you'll see big guns send just once sometimes.

-david
Kj4izw

[...]

BUBBAWOOD
[...]

David, K9DWR

A long time ago my friend's dad told me "it doesn't take all kinds, there just ARE all kinds". :-)

--
David K9DWR

On Jul 3, 2016, at 12:37, John Bower poppajohnbower@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

[...]

My Elmer told me back in 70's that " Amateur Radio is a microcosm of Society" ...  which meant that this hobby has the same assortment of nuts & flakes as in the everyday world.

Jerry N9AVY #454