New England States?

David Blankenburg, AK7DB

Let me preface this by saying I'm in Nevada.  I never seem to see any activity from the New England States on PSK and still need contacts with several of them.  Between those and the two Dakotas it's like a dark hole from my location.

Any members here from any of those areas that can tell me when they're typically active?  I'm hoping maybe I'll find a few during field day this weekend.

Dave, AK7DB

Matthew King - AK4MK

Dave - New England is typically a very busy area when it comes to the PSK-31 waterfall.

What sort of antenna(s) do you use? What are their orientations?

Welcome to the club!

73

Matthew King

KK4CPS 070 #1708

PODXS 070 Club Executive Director

On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 3:33 PM, ak7db@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

Let me preface this by saying I'm in Nevada.  I never seem to see any activity from the New England States on PSK and still need contacts with several of them.  Between those and the two Dakotas it's like a dark hole from my location.

Any members here from any of those areas that can tell me when they're typically active?  I'm hoping maybe I'll find a few during field day this weekend.

Dave, AK7DB

Steve Goldsmith -w1hs-

I'm in NH, I've only got one NV in the log.

Our club will be operating this weekend as W1FN, if you don't get us, let me know and we can try and sched something.    I'm usually on in the morning, evening and weekends.

/steve - w1hs

---In 070@..., <ak7db@...> wrote :

Let me preface this by saying I'm in Nevada.  I never seem to see any activity from the New England States on PSK and still need contacts with several of them.  Between those and the two Dakotas it's like a dark hole from my location.

Any members here from any of those areas that can tell me when they're typically active?  I'm hoping maybe I'll find a few during field day this weekend.

Dave, AK7DB

David Blankenburg, AK7DB

Matthew,
I'm using a vertical antenna (Butternut HF-9V).  I think part of my problem is the 3 hour time difference coupled with my operating times. During the week I often don't get on the radio until 10pm my time which is 1am east coast so pretty late. In the mornings I'm usually on around 6am my local time but typically just see the same few stations every morning.  I haven't had much time on the weekends to operate during the day.

Before the temps got into the 110's here in Vegas I was operating mobile during my lunch break but that's probably on hold until late September now.

I've only been at this since the end of February this year but have never seen a station from ME, DE, NH or VT.  I did pick up two  CT stations and a RI station during FD so that helped.

73, Dave
AK7DB

Matthew King - AK4MK

Sounds like you have it nailed, Dave. The time difference and your available operating times are certainly not conducive to picking up the Nor'Easters!

What sort of radial system do you have with your Butternut? I've got a Hustler 6BTV with about 40 ground radials, and I've managed to work the entire country and large parts of the world with it. The radial system made a TREMENDOUS difference in the signals I received. Without the radials, it was a dismal performer.... with the radials, I've been impressed as to just how well it does hear/get out for a ground mounted vertical.

Stick with it - you'll get 'em!

73

Matthew King

KW4VY 070 #1708

On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 1:57 PM, ak7db@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

[...]

Joseph Miller <kj8o.ham@...>

I agree with Matt. I have a 5BTV with 32 radials, and have managed to work and confirm 185 countries in the past 6-7 years. Also have completed the 5 Band WAS.

73 de Joe KJ8O

--
Joe Miller, KJ8O
Affiliated Club Coordinator

Mike - W0TMW #2207

Since last September, I finished my WAS with a digital endorsement using my DX-88 vertical with 26 radials. It can be done.

Mike - W0TMW

  -- William Kershner
http://crucis-court.com
http://www.crucis.net/1632search
On 06/29/2016 02:25 PM, Joseph Miller kj8o.ham@... [070] wrote:

[...]

I'll look for you this weekend.
Dave

David Blankenburg, AK7DB

I've got about 500' of radials out in about a 120 degree arc due to landscaping and the antenna being rather close to the house to keep it out of sight from the front yard.  Our HOA is fairly antenna friendly compared to most but didn't want to push it.

I got spoiled by how easy it is to find contacts with PSK31 compared to when i was working towards my phone WAS a few years back.  I picked up 30 states in the first month I was operating, a few more in the next few months and now the last 7 I never seem to see.  I'm patient and in no hurry so I know it will happen eventually.

I've also had pretty good luck with dx on this antenna/radial setup with contacts from Iceland to Estonia and down to New Zealand, Japan and most of South America.

I'm glad I found this group and love reading all the information on here and I'm hoping to make contacts with as many of you as I can in the future.

Dave, AK7DB

John Etling

I have a Hy-Gain AV-6160 (6-160) vertical and have had it online for about 2 years now. I only have about 12 radials at the moment – more to come, and since that antenna has been planted, I have worked all WAS bands (except 160, but close), worked 7 continents on 4 bands, went from a dismal 30 country DXCC in a span of 8 years to now at 144 in just under 2 years. I would not trade my vertical in for nothing. It hears and transmit further than any dipole I currently have strung – although to be fair the vertical is about 2x as high as my dipoles.

Never fear putting a vertical up – so long as you got radials, you cannot go wrong.

…I’m Just Sayin’

73 de K3JAE

John A. Etling

k3jae@...