From: "ak7db@... [070]" <070@...>
Date: 5/27/2016 11:19 AM (GMT-06:00)
To: 070@...
Subject: [070] Looking forward to first 070 contest

Looking forward to being in the my first contest since I joined the group.  Can't be on until 10PM or so Pacific time tonight so I'm hoping there will be some activity with the contest tonight.  40m has been pretty empty the past several nights.

Hope to log you,

Dave, AK7DB

David Blankenburg, AK7DB

Just realized that I've been on 7070 instead of 7040 which is probably why 40m always looks so dead when I'm on it  at night.  When I started using PSK31  a few months back the frequency list I found didn't include 7040.  Live and learn.

Dave

David, K9DWR

* ak7db@cox.net [070] <070@yahoogroups.com> [2016-05-27 12:00]:
Just realized that I've been on 7070 instead of 7040 which is probably why
40m always looks so dead when I'm on it at night. When I started using
PSK31 a few months back the frequency list I found didn't include 7040.
Live and learn.
7070 is fine. That's where a lot of us were last night.

--
David, K9DWR
#1604 LONP #255
david@graniteweb.com

Jim K5SP

7070 is the correct frequency, it is LSB, I set my rig on 7072.5 LSB mode and make my contacts between there and 7070.   It was extremely busy last evening, I made over 30 TDW contacts...  7040 is the European psk frequency, you will rarely hear anything there....

Jim

On 5/27/2016 2:00 PM, ak7db@... [070] wrote:

Just realized that I've been on 7070 instead of 7040 which is probably why 40m always looks so dead when I'm on it  at night.  When I started using PSK31  a few months back the frequency list I found didn't include 7040.  Live and learn.

Dave

boat.anchor@...

Jim
Very interesting.
I run all my digimodes in USB no matter the band.
Will let those more experienced than me expound.
GL with contest
Barry

---In 070@..., <jinnis@...> wrote :

7070 is the correct frequency, it is LSB, I set my rig on 7072.5 LSB mode and make my contacts between there and 7070.   It was extremely busy last evening, I made over 30 TDW contacts...  7040 is the European psk frequency, you will rarely hear anything there....

Jim

On 5/27/2016 2:00 PM, ak7db@... [070] wrote:

Just realized that I've been on 7070 instead of 7040 which is probably why 40m always looks so dead when I'm on it  at night.  When I started using PSK31  a few months back the frequency list I found didn't include 7040.  Live and learn.

Dave

Ray Clements

Many software programs require the use of UpperSideBand for digital modes, even when using bands like 40 meters on which LSB is used for phone. Since BPSK is binary, LSB may work as well.

Although RTTY FSK is normally sent using LSB; when using AFSK using a soundcard modem, UpperSideBand is used by most software.

In North America, 7.070 is the normal frequency for PSK. However, in Europe 7.040 is more common. There can be activity at 7.035, 7.030 and 7.028 (Japan). These differences are a result of the band plans for 40 meters. Region II (NA and SA) is different than Region I and Region III (Europe, Asia, Oceana). Thus, if you are looking for DX stations, you have to explore all the frequencies looking for activity.

Ray N9RWC #1793

#1604 LONP #255
david@graniteweb.com

David Blankenburg, AK7DB

I figured the time might be part of it.  I don't usually get a chance to sit in front of the radio until 10-10:30pm West Coast time which is pretty late for anyone back east.  I used to check into a couple of late night voice nets on 40m and they were always busy but I'm still learning the ropes on the digital side.

Thanks again,
Dave, AB7DB

n9jca.chris@...

ALL Digital Modes are worked on USB During the Contest you will probably find most of us on 7.070 for 40M

Have Fun tonight Hope to see you all on the Bands

I know this has been asked before please Read the Rules before you start; even take a few Minutes to see

how the other Stations are using their Macros

A couple of Pointers

1)  If you intend to work the TDW Contest you don't need to send your reply as a Complete Brag File

Just your NAME; 599 (YOUR STATE); PODXS CLUB #

2)  When the Calling Station Signs with you  there is NO NEED to answer back  with a long TY

By the time you finish sending your Reply the Other Station is already calling CQ

and all that Happens is that you end up Doubling over each other

73

Chris N9JCA (Bonus Station) PODXS# 797

Jim K5SP

This has been a very interesting thread, I even did some searching on Google trying to find a definitive answer, and of course found varied answer.

I started using PSK=31 in 2000, 16 years ago, and when I started an elmer with psk told me to always use the sideband mode that is normally used on the band.  I have used LSB on 40 and 80 all this time.  I am going to start this evening on 40 using USB with dial set at 7070 and try it...you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Jim, K5SP

On 5/27/2016 4:09 PM, n9jca.chris@... [070] wrote:

ALL Digital Modes are worked on USB During the Contest you will probably find most of us on 7.070 for 40M

Have Fun tonight Hope to see you all on the Bands

I know this has been asked before please Read the Rules before you start; even take a few Minutes to see

how the other Stations are using their Macros

A couple of Pointers

1)  If you intend to work the TDW Contest you don't need to send your reply as a Complete Brag File

Just your NAME; 599 (YOUR STATE); PODXS CLUB #

2)  When the Calling Station Signs with you  there is NO NEED to answer back  with a long TY

By the time you finish sending your Reply the Other Station is already calling CQ

and all that Happens is that you end up Doubling over each other

73

Chris N9JCA (Bonus Station) PODXS# 797

boat.anchor@...

Chris
Direct quote from the rules for the exchange:
First name, RST, and your Ø7Ø Club Member number
There is NO requirement for state.
GL de
Barry

---In 070@..., <n9jca.chris@...> wrote :

ALL Digital Modes are worked on USB During the Contest you will probably find most of us on 7.070 for 40M

Have Fun tonight Hope to see you all on the Bands

I know this has been asked before please Read the Rules before you start; even take a few Minutes to see

how the other Stations are using their Macros

A couple of Pointers

1)  If you intend to work the TDW Contest you don't need to send your reply as a Complete Brag File

Just your NAME; 599 (YOUR STATE); PODXS CLUB #

2)  When the Calling Station Signs with you  there is NO NEED to answer back  with a long TY

By the time you finish sending your Reply the Other Station is already calling CQ

and all that Happens is that you end up Doubling over each other

73

Chris N9JCA (Bonus Station) PODXS# 797

n9jca.chris@...

Duly Noted Barry Have made the Change

PS Did you get My Email Direct to you

Chris N9JCA PODXS 797

John Raynsford

"Looking forward to being in the my first contest"

Me too, looking forward to it. Setting up my macro's for tonite.
I'm a cw op, 40 mtrs has been opening up beautifully into the midwest
and east coast states this week from Alaska starting at 06 utc btw.
We are well into our summertime propagation mode up north here
with 17 + hours of daylight.

73 to all Cul .....

de AL7JK, John  #2094

On Friday, May 27, 2016 3:06 PM, "n9jca.chris@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

Duly Noted Barry Have made the Change

PS Did you get My Email Direct to you

Chris N9JCA PODXS 797

Steve Wiggins

Well, it's 12:18Z... I suppose everyone's still in the sack, or something 'cause it's really quiet. Have been calling CQ 070 TDW for the last hour. Nothing. Come on, Ionosphere... Cooperate!

Steve W3HF

Actually I was out mowing the lawn. Wanted to get it done early, before it got too hot.

And I also figured it was a slow time from a propagation perspective.

On 05/28/16, w4gok.steve@... [070]<070@...> wrote:

Well, it's 12:18Z... I suppose everyone's still in the sack, or something 'cause it's really quiet. Have been calling CQ 070 TDW for the last hour. Nothing. Come on, Ionosphere... Cooperate!

Steve Wiggins

Things appear to be picking up on 20M.

On Sat, May 28, 2016 at 9:55 AM, Stephen Melachrinos w3hf@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

Actually I was out mowing the lawn. Wanted to get it done early, before it got too hot.

And I also figured it was a slow time from a propagation perspective.

On 05/28/16, w4gok.steve@... [070]<070@...> wrote:

Well, it's 12:18Z... I suppose everyone's still in the sack, or something 'cause it's really quiet. Have been calling CQ 070 TDW for the last hour. Nothing. Come on, Ionosphere... Cooperate!

Jerry N9AVY

yeah Steve ... it's been slow going all morning...
   was so bored I watched the neighbors trim their pine trees because the branches were all the way down to ground.  I was getting nailed by them every time I mowed lawn.  Better they did it than me because I would have done butcher job , hi !

Anyone been on 80m ????

Jerry  n9avy

Actually I was out mowing the lawn. Wanted to get it done early, before it got too hot.

And I also figured it was a slow time from a propagation perspective.

On 05/28/16, w4gok.steve@... [070]<070@...> wrote:

Well, it's 12:18Z... I suppose everyone's still in the sack, or something 'cause it's really quiet. Have been calling CQ 070 TDW for the last hour. Nothing. Come on, Ionosphere... Cooperate!

Jim K5SP

And I spent quite a bit of time this morning processing new members so they can get on the air before TDW is over....now, I have a family commitment that will keep me away for most of the day.  I will be lucky to get back in time to get some air time this evening......

Jim K5SP