From: 070@... [mailto:070@...]
Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 11:02
To: 070@...
Subject: Re: [070] Re: Logs

Barry ....I only use HRD and experience the program freezing up from time to time also .... being a computer dummy it the only program that I use ... It was a steep learning curve for me ..... so rather than trying the other programs that are out there I just grin and bear it  when it freezes up ...sometimes it recovers itself other times I have to restart the program ..... no rhyem or reason when it freezes up but seems mostly when I am changing bands when using the HRD program to control the radio thru the computer .....

JEFF WALSH

W3WMU

BUBBAWOOD

WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS

STURGIS, MS .

Ray Clements

Use some quality ferrite chokes on your cables to dampen stray RF.

Ray N9RWC

BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS .

K8TOM

I've been a user of HRD 5.0 Rel 2893 for quite a while and very occasionally experience a freeze.  By very occasionally I mean maybe a couple times a month.

The freeze almost always happens when I click on the received text to capture a callsign into the QSO box.  The freeze generally lasts for 5-10 seconds and then resolves, often with the restoration of text received while the waterfall was "frozen".  Only the DM780 screen is affected.  A couple of times over the last several months he freeze did not resolve and I just terminated the module and restarted without a problem, other than losing some received text.

So it would be classified by me as just a minor annoyance.

I've used FLdigi and DXLabs software and like them okay as well, but prefer HRD for now.  And there are still lots of Digipan folks out there, which I really enjoyed using the first couple of years on PSK.  I have to re-learn it each Field Day since that is what our PSK FD captain uses, HI.

Tom
K8TOM

On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 1:59 PM, 'Ray Clements' r.clements@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

[...]

BUBBAWOOD

WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS

STURGIS, MS .

David Westbrook

And there are still lots of Digipan folks out there, which I really enjoyed using the first couple of years on PSK.  I have to re-learn it each Field Day since that is what our PSK FD captain uses, HI.

Digipan ( http://www.digipan.net/was end-of-life over a decade ago!! (v2.0 from 11/1/2004 was the final release)   That makes us developer-types cringe :)
For FD, as a "public" setting that (presumably) is introducing/teaching digital modes, maybe FD captain would be open to using something more modern, common, and supported.

[curious that the handful of digipan logs uploaded to the endorsement checker are all v1.6, which is from 2001]

73!
--david
KJ4IZW

On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 5:27 PM, Tom Singleton tsingle@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

[...]

BUBBAWOOD

WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS

STURGIS, MS .

Mike - W0TMW #2207

I can attest to the RF issue.  HRD works great on my vertical. But, when I switch to my OCF dipole, after a few minutes transmitting, the HRD rig control drops the connection with my rig, a Kenwood TS-590SG. I can kill the rig control portion of HRD, relink it with the logger and DM780 and all is well again.

I haven't a clue why one antenna affects HRD and the other doesn't.  The dipole doesn't always affect HRD, on 20M it does, on 40M it doesn't, or at least it isn't frequent enough that I'd remember.

Mike - W0TMW

  -- William Kershner
http://crucis-court.com
http://www.crucis.net/1632search
On 03/23/2016 04:05 PM, Jerry n9avy@... [070] wrote:

[...]

BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS .

Jerry N9AVY

Check SWR on 20m  and 40m .    What are you using for coax ?

Next, it may be the orientation of the OCF with regards to where you station is sitting.

Just a couple suggestions.

Jerry  N9AVY

[...]

BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS .

boat.anchor@...

Tom
You are right on. This is when it happens. I will see a freeze 1 in 10 times that I click on Rx text.
Stray RF is not at play in Rx mode. Rig to computer is 6ft firewire with snapons at both ends. Everything single point grounded. I have had this since the 5.0 days and it continued so far into V6 that I backed out to 5.0 May have to try 4.0 and see what happens.
Barry

---In 070@..., <tsingle@...> wrote :

[...]

I guess RF wouldn't affect anything on RX...

---In 070@..., wrote :

[...]

keitheuffer@...

Having a similar problem with my W7 laptop, signalink, and fldigi, but part of the solution was putting snap-on ferrites over the signalink cable near where it plugs into the laptop.  Also, I rerouted some cables and grounds behind the equipment and upgraded fldigi from 3.22 to 3.23.  Made several psk31 contacts this afternoon and all is well.
gl & 73
KT4EP

Len Hecker

...putting the RF issue aside for a moment.  Keep an eye on the CPU usage on the DM780 screen. If it gets too high the RX AND TX can get jerky.  I see it sometimes on the waterfall from some stations that are transmitting intermittent signals and I also see it on my own computer if the CPU usage gets too high.  Both on TX and RX.  Particularly if my old Windows XP machine has been on for a couple of days while DM780 was running.  Re-boot takes care of that.  It might pay to do a defrag too.  len k3lrh.

John Bower <poppajohnbower@...>

I use HRD 6 have done for ages occasionally get hiccups usually a windows 8.1 problem.
I f you are having s much trouble with HRD paid versions have you put in a trouble ticket? Have you let their great support people see what is going on?
I have and very rapidly my troubles were sorted out.
You pay for the support in the paid versions why not use it!!!
Have a blessed Easter hope to see you on the waterfall.
John KE4JB

---In 070@..., wrote :

[...]

Mike Flowers

Yeah - two support tickets and no response.

Email to Mike, WA9PIE - said he'd 'look into it' - no response.

Been a 'customer' since they went commercial - no response.

Yeah, I have 'paid support' - no response.

-- Mike Flowers, K6MKF, NCDXC - "It's about DX!"

---In 070@..., wrote :

[...]

Mike I am sorry but that has not been my experience I only can tell it as I have experienced it.
Good luck
John KE4JB

---In 070@..., wrote :

[...]

Yeah, they were better when they had just started, but it appears that their customer base has outstripped their ability to support it.

Such is life.

DXLab Suite is free and looking better all the time … ;>)

- 73 and good DX de Mike, K6MKF, President - NCDXC

---In 070@..., <tsingle@...> wrote :

[...]

Len
In my case a dedicated quad core 3.6GHz, 8G ram
This thing is running HRD suite and PSDR.
No way is it being taxed, but having said that I will watch.
regards
Barry

---In 070@..., <lenhecker@...> wrote :

...putting the RF issue aside for a moment.  Keep an eye on the CPU usage on the DM780 screen. If it gets too high the RX AND TX can get jerky.  I see it sometimes on the waterfall from some stations that are transmitting intermittent signals and I also see it on my own computer if the CPU usage gets too high.  Both on TX and RX.  Particularly if my old Windows XP machine has been on for a couple of days while DM780 was running.  Re-boot takes care of that.  It might pay to do a defrag too.  len k3lrh.

Ray Clements

The reason you have an issue with the OCF antenna, but not the quarter wave vertical is that the vertical is balanced against ground while the OCF is not.

I also use an OCF antenna. Because an OCF is unbalanced as a result of the offset feed point, it has to use either a 4:1 or 6:1 balun to match the impedance of the antenna to the impedance of the feed line. These baluns are typically voltage baluns (transformers). Mine antenna is at a low height (HOA restrictions), so I use a 4:1 balun. At 1/4 wavelength above ground or higher a 6:1 balun is required. The Buckmaster OCF uses a 6:1 balun.

To block RF coming back the line into the shack, you need a 1:1 CURRENT balun. They force the current in both sides of unbalanced line (coax) to be equal. A current balun uses bifilal windings around a torroid core.

Although often called baluns, the other two types are really UNUNS because rather than forcing currents to be equal, they add impedance to reduce the current flowing on the outer shield of the coax. One is the choke balun in which ferrite beads are placed around a length of coax. The lower the frequency, the more beads are required. Thus, a choke balun or unun can get rather expensive for 160 meters.

The final type is the air core or "ugly balun" in which coax is wound around PVC pipe or other air core. Again, although called a balun, it is really an type of UNUN. Since RG8 type cable is hard to spool, the thinner RG8X cable works best for this purpose. The number of turns is less important than the length of coax used. I like to use at lease 1/4 wavelength of coax for the lowest frequency. I have a 40 meter antenna, so I would want to use a minimum of 10 meters (33 ft) of coax wound on a 4" diameter PVC pipe.  The exact length is not important, but the shorter the coax, the less effective it will be.  What is important is that the coils of coax be tightly wound with no crossovers. However, remember that the longer then length of coax, the greater the transmission line loss, especially at higher frequencies. So do not go overboard withe the coax length. For 80 meters, you might want to use a minimum of 66 ft wound around 6" diameter PVC.  If you want to try one, there are YouTube videos that show how to construct one. Just search for "Ugly Balun".

Ray N9RWC

BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS .