Remote Operation

boat.anchor@...

Good afternoon all.

Question for the group re remote operation.

If I am running my station remotely what is my location as far as my licence or the grid I provide.

Is it my location or the location of my transmitter.

My Canadian license  reads "certificate holder is authorized to operate amateur radio apparatus in accordance with the regulations"

This would lead me to use the locn wherever I may be.

My Australian one is an "Apparatus license" that authorizes the operation of an unrestricted Amateur Station which is portable throughout Australia and its territories.

In this case i would think the locn I use should be where the TX is located as it is what is licenced.

Retirement to lead to to much pondering and rainy days too much thinking.

The floor is open

Barry

VA7GEM

Jerry N9AVY

Barry:

I would naturally assume that the location would be where the "transmitting apparatus" is located.  Thus,  if you're operating remote from your station in BC , your location would be BC./VE7.

Greg, WA3GM, operates from FL in the Winter and tells everyone he's in PA, which is where the RF generating transmitter is located.

I know you're under different rules in Canada, but I would think they'd be somewhat close to FCC  Part 97 rules which govern amateur operation in U.S. .

There is something in FCC rules about being able to shut down a transmitter if it's operating improperly (spurs, harmonics, unstable frequency (drifting badly) or just smoking and flaming).

Jerry  N9AVY

Question for the group re remote operation.

If I am running my station remotely what is my location as far as my licence or the grid I provide.
Is it my location or the location of my transmitter.

My Canadian license  reads "certificate holder is authorized to operate amateur radio apparatus in accordance with the regulations"
This would lead me to use the locn wherever I may be.

My Australian one is an "Apparatus license" that authorizes the operation of an unrestricted Amateur Station which is portable throughout Australia and its territories.
In this case i would think the locn I use should be where the TX is located as it is what is licenced.

Retirement to lead to to much pondering and rainy days too much thinking.

The floor is open
Barry
VA7GEM

Paul Butzi <kg7stv@...>

Any regulatory rule about this obviously need not make any sense at all, as regulatory rules need not make sense, they’re just the rules.

So setting aside the regulatory bit for a moment I’d vote for the sensible thing being using the location whence the radiation originates when you transmit.  That results in some weirdness if your transmit antenna is widely separated from your receive antenna but I don’t how to resolve that sensibly.

I am mindful of a discussion I had with K7ADD about the time he was in HI running his portable rig and operating his home station in Duvall, WA remotely, and he held a PSK qso with himself.

Beyond the novelty of such a QSO whatever scheme you use to report location ought to be able log both sides of such a QSO and have the locations logged on each side make sense and convey what has happened, I would think.

-p KG7STV

On Feb 15, 2016, at 2:43 PM, Jerry n9avy@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

[...]

Jerry
This is where I get a bit mixed up when one country licences the equip and another the operator.
Will see what kind of opions pop up as I see quite a few remote ops these days
Barry

---In 070@..., <n9avy@...> wrote :

[...]

Paul
This is what is confusing. If I have contact with a fellow in HI who is operating his WA stn am I in contact with HI or WA. I would think that I should log the TX locn and the fact that he is in HI is just for interest. Then we have the case of folks who have no station and rent out the "by the minute big stations". Do they need to keep a record of which stn they are operating for each contact or do they just use their home QTH. I don't know if you can get a licence in Australia without owning the equipment as that appears to be what they licence.
Hmmmm
Barry

---In 070@..., <kg7stv@...> wrote :

[...]

Remote between different countries is subject to their regulations. That being said are you going to operate from Australia through you station in Canada using a laptop or other type computer ???

If you will be in Australia the I would guess that Australia may not have any objections since there is no RF being generate in Australia.  You should check with Australian government or WIA for the answer if you operate from  VK. The point in Canada is moot since you are already licensed there.

[...]

David, K9DWR

The location is based on the transmitter location, not your personal physical location. It’s no more complicated than answering the question “from where is your radio transmitting?” Where the “head” of the radio is has nothing to do with it.

David, K9DWR
k9dwr@...

---In 070@..., <kg7stv@...> wrote :

[...]

David Westbrook

I think of it logically equivalent to just as really long KVM (keyboard/video/mouse) cables, which would be to treat it as if you were physically next to the transmitter.

Results from a quick google search ... I only glanced, but it would be a start for someone to find authoritative material to quote.

For ARRL LOTW DXCC,  remote-control is allowed, and the "home dxcc entity" is where the transmitter is.

--david
KJ4IZW

---In 070@..., wrote :

[...]

Mike Flowers

For DXCC purposes, the ARRL recently made rule changes about remote operation:

“The DXCC Rules changes, which affect Section I, subsections 8 and 9, explain and extend how contacts with remotely controlled stations now may be applied toward the DXCC award. According to ARRL CEO David Sumner, K1ZZ, the changes are subtle but significant. The modified rules make clear that contacts with legally licensed, land-based, remotely controlled stations count for DXCC, but the control point — the operator’s location — of a remotely controlled station no longer has to be land based; the operator can be literally anywhere.

“It has always been permitted for a QSO to count for both stations, if either station was operated remotely from a control point within the same DXCC entity,” Sumner explained. “Now the location of the operator doesn’t matter; the operator could be on the far side of the Moon if he or she could figure out how to remotely control a station on land back on Earth from there.” Transmitter location continues to define a station’s location, and, for DXCC purposes, all transmitters and receivers must be located within a 500-meter diameter circle, excluding antennas.”

That’s just the ARRL, and other licensing entities may well have other views on the matter.

- 73 and good DX de Mike, K6MKF, President - NCDXC

---In 070@..., <kg7stv@...> wrote :

[...]

John Etling

Just my 4 cents worth of interpretation…

Is not the primary Control Point that point (location) located where an operator controls the transmitter (per ARRL/FCC wordage)? – In other words if the Control OP is in Hawaii and the transmitter is in Australia, then the control op position would also be the control point – i.e. in Hawaii? Therefore the logging location would be the Control Point location. Of course, as previously noted, other countries will have their own governing rules so our interpretation may not be fully applicable here.

Although I can certainly see where the transmitter location would be most important since I might not be able to hear Hawaii but could hear Australia…

Unless I seriously misunderstand this rule (never really looked into it seriously as I have not worked a remote before, thus no need to study and fully interpreted) feel free to expound where my misunderstanding lies.

… I’m just sayin’

73 de K3JAE

John Etling

k3jae@...

070 #1820   LONP #321

---In 070@..., <kg7stv@...> wrote :

[...]

Note that by requiring that the transmitters and receivers must be located within a 500 meter diameter circle excluding antennas it rather neatly avoids the weirdness I alluded to about widely separated transmitters and receivers.

What I had in mind was operator A, with a transmitter in, say, Irkutsk and a receiver in Alliance, WY having a qso with operator B who has a transmitter in Alliance, WY and a receiver in Irkutsk.

It seems to me what you want is, if a person were to examine the logs for both stations they should be able to suss out what radio signals had to propagate what distances.

-p KG7STV

On Feb 15, 2016, at 3:04 PM, 'Mike Flowers' mike.flowers@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

Transmitter location continues to define a station’s location, and, for DXCC purposes, all transmitters and receivers must be located within a 500-meter diameter circle, excluding antennas.”

boat.anchor@...

Jerry
I don't operate in Australia anymore. I just used Canada and Australia to demonstrate the varying licence parameters. Let's keep it more basic with the ham in HI running remote WA stn. Should I log the WA location for the contact. How do I respond to his QSL card where he states he worked me from HI.
Maybe technology has far surpassed the hobby.
Barry

---In 070@..., <n9avy@...> wrote :

Barry:

Remote between different countries is subject to their regulations. That being said are you going to operate from Australia through you station in Canada using a laptop or other type computer ???

If you will be in Australia the I would guess that Australia may not have any objections since there is no RF being generate in Australia.  You should check with Australian government or WIA for the answer if you operate from  VK. The point in Canada is moot since you are already licensed there.

Jerry

boat.anchor@...

David
This is kind of the direction I lean
Barry

---In 070@..., <david@...> wrote :

The location is based on the transmitter location, not your personal physical location. It’s no more complicated than answering the question “from where is your radio transmitting?” Where the “head” of the radio is has nothing to do with it.

David, K9DWR
k9dwr@...

Jerry N9AVY

Barry:

This is getting confusing.

So if I saw a movie about Hawaii, I can say I've been to Hawaii ???   :-)

Jerry  n9avy

---In 070@..., wrote :

Barry:

Remote between different countries is subject to their regulations. That being said are you going to operate from Australia through you station in Canada using a laptop or other type computer ???

If you will be in Australia the I would guess that Australia may not have any objections since there is no RF being generate in Australia.  You should check with Australian government or WIA for the answer if you operate from  VK. The point in Canada is moot since you are already licensed there.

Jerry

boat.anchor@...

David
TVM for the links
Lots of good reading there for a winter's evening.
It looks like I am legally allowed to operate a remote station in FCC controlled area.
No question that I can do it in person thru the reciprocal agreement.
Now if VA7GEM went to HI on vacation and took his laptop with him, he could remotely
operate a station in WA.
Am I VA7GEM/KH6
Am I VA7GEM/W7
Or am I just too paranoid hi hi
Barry

---In 070@..., <dwestbrook@...> wrote :

I think of it logically equivalent to just as really long KVM (keyboard/video/mouse) cables, which would be to treat it as if you were physically next to the transmitter.

Results from a quick google search ... I only glanced, but it would be a start for someone to find authoritative material to quote.

For ARRL LOTW DXCC,  remote-control is allowed, and the "home dxcc entity" is where the transmitter is.

--david
KJ4IZW

boat.anchor@...

Mike
Very interesting. Again too many possibilities to absorb all at once. Would you be allowed to remotely use a transmitter but rely on a dongle Rx at your physical location. Sounds like maybe no as you violate the 500M rule. More food for thought and maybe justification to KISS. Appropriate for valentines days.
Barry

---In 070@..., <mike.flowers@...> wrote :

[...]

John
In the past we didn't have to ponder these things. We either packed the rig in the suitcase or we borrowed a station on arrival. Technology is our friend and has arrived just in time to remind me of the decline in mental capacity that comes with age, in my case at least.
Barry

---In 070@..., <john@...> wrote :

[...]

Maybe???

---In 070@..., <n9avy@...> wrote :

Barry:

Remote between different countries is subject to their regulations. That being said are you going to operate from Australia through you station in Canada using a laptop or other type computer ???

If you will be in Australia the I would guess that Australia may not have any objections since there is no RF being generate in Australia.  You should check with Australian government or WIA for the answer if you operate from  VK. The point in Canada is moot since you are already licensed there.

Jerry

Jerry N9AVY

However, the /KH6 or /W7  would denote that you are operating from KH6 or W7 call areas, but if the signal originates from a transmitter located in Canada, you'd still be in Canada.

Seems like you'd being trying to mess with people by telling them you're in KH6 or W7  when in reality you may be, but the transmitter location is what counts. In some cases the beam headings may call into question your location.

Jerry  n9avy

---In 070@..., wrote :

I think of it logically equivalent to just as really long KVM (keyboard/video/mouse) cables, which would be to treat it as if you were physically next to the transmitter.

Results from a quick google search ... I only glanced, but it would be a start for someone to find authoritative material to quote.

For ARRL LOTW DXCC,  remote-control is allowed, and the "home dxcc entity" is where the transmitter is.

--david
KJ! 4IZW

boat.anchor@...

Jerry
Missed the point a bit.
The transmitter is in WA.  I am in HI. I hold a Canadian licence.
Who am I or where am I?
I know I need to give my callsign - VA7GEM
If I am using my laptop from the hotel in HI to operate a WA stn is
where I get confused how to sign
Barry