IMD Meter

cricklewood@...

I was reading the recent discussion concerning the IMD meter, getting on the list for one, and the cost.

It sounds like a very good idea, however, even at that price ($155) it'll be a stretch for me at this time because of medical bills. Never thought I'd get like this, luckily I have the gear I have before all this medical stuff came around.

So, with that in mind, let me ask this. My rig is an Icom 756 Pro3 and my computer interface to Windows 7 is a microHAM microKEYER2. I use FLDIGI. Antenna is a 30' end-fed wire up 20'

When I'm on PSK I don't tune the rig higher than 25-40w (Max). I say "Max" because I'm not using a super antenna here and sometimes I raise the power a little.

On the front of the microKeyer2 there's a knob to control my TX audio level on digital modes. On the Icom, I can see power out, SWR, and ALC. I "always" make sure that my ALC indication is 0 (nil). When the ALC on the Icom shows a tad high I back the TX level back till its zero. I have always operated like that because I thought that was the correct way. I've never received any indication of splattering or interference.

So with all that in mind, do you folks feel I should scrape and scrounge to figure out a way to get on the list for the IMD meter? I'm not really interested in the $50 one because I like the idea of not having to tap into feed line. If you all say "yea, you gotta have one.... the method you currently use is no guarantee of a clean signal" then I'll have to figure it out.

Thoughts?

Thanks 73, Bob KW3F
PODXS # 2061

Darl DEEDS

I would spend the money on a better antenna if your able to with HOA’s etc. Money  would be better spent. You can always adjust your equipment to make a better cleaner signal for no cost.

Darl  NA8W

Sent: Friday, January 08, 2016 6:01 PM
To: 070@...
Subject: [070] IMD Meter

[...]

Kevin Lemon

I've got a thought, but I usually do. Here goes.

I'm with you on the inline insertion. Adaptors, patch cables, impedance bumps, etc.

Love the idea of having confidence 100 percent of the time, but in the past I've gotten good reports by starting low on my soundcard levels then working up a bit until the 100 percent copy and compliments start rolling in.

One gentleman actually sent me a screen print of my trace with his QSL card, he said it was so pretty.

This was before I joined this fine group.

Now I can get on here and feel reasonably sure that I can get some reasonable reports should I need them. (And I do, I've made changes lately)

I know reports from other stations won't get scientific results, but I'm pretty sure the vast majority here can discern a clean trace from one that is obviously over or under.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a meter. And I'd order every extra that is available with the kit. But if I wanted to be economical, I'd just do what many do, and find someone with an excellent trace and work with them to tune mine up.

Get on 75m SSB any night and it's audio reports ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

We'll never be so obnoxious as that, I'm sure.

So, anyone want to let me know how my trace looks later?

I took the interface off my ftdx3000 and went direct.

I might be a little under..

There ya go.. Good luck and hope to see you on.

Kevin - K0MCI
2141 / 0339

On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 5:01 PM, cricklewood@... [070]
<070@...> wrote:

[...]