Getting active again

cricklewood@...

Hello all...... it's been quite awhile since I was active on PSK.   In the past I would call it "dabbling" even though I am a PODXS member.  I plan to change all that and get active.

I wanna play in the 24x7 and currently at 42, so I have a ways to go.

Sooo... using FLDIGI and setting up macros again.   In the past I would have what I consider a "Brag" that was way too wordy.... just curious what active members have in their's?

Was just on 30m for awhile calling CQ and no replies.   Can someone tell me how to set up and "auto cq" using FLDIGI?  .... I googled and couldn't find anything.

Also, if anyone has suggestions on what freq on 30m they usually call on.  I think getting activity on the WARC bands is a good idea.

73, and hope to CU on the waterfall!

Bob KW3F

PODXS Member # 2061

Rick - N7WE

Hey Bob-

Glad to hear you are getting active again!  I can't help with the Flidgi and I'm certainly not an expert on what should be in a "brag".  But here is what I limit myself to:
Rig/interface
Software
Antenna
Year first licensed
I try to keep it short and I only send it if someone sends me their station setup or they ask.  If they want more info than that, they'll ask and I'm glad to give them additional detail.

Also, I never send a "brag" as part of the initial exchange/report and I save the info about qsl-ing until my sign-off.

That's hpw I do it...others have their own way and that's good too.  Hope that helps and hope to work you in the PSKFest Jan 2!

Rick - N7WE - #1602

Jerry N9AVY

Hi Bob !

Welcome back !

I echo Rick's comments.  Don't send "brag" macro unless other station sends one first.  Like to keep things short and usually don't "rag chew" unless other station initiates it.   QSL info always goes last, but if not it's always current on QRZ.com.

Jerry  N9AVY  #454

Glad to hear you are getting active again!  I can't help with the Flidgi and I'm certainly not an expert on what should be in a "brag".  But here is what I limit myself to:
Rig/interface
Software
Antenna
Year first licensed
I try to keep it short and I only send it if someone sends me their station setup or they ask.  If they want more info than that, they'll ask and I'm glad to give them additional detail.

Also, I never send a "brag" as part of the initial exchange/report and I save the info about qsl-ing until my sign-off.

That's hpw I do it...others have their own way and that's good too.  Hope that helps and hope to work you in the PSKFest Jan 2!

Rick - N7WE - #1602

Kevin Lemon

I've been off and on 17 and 30 today but wish I could work 12.
Going to 30 now to holler awhile.

Kevin - K0MCI
2141

On Sat, Dec 26, 2015 at 7:23 PM, cricklewood@... [070]
<070@...> wrote:

Hello all...... it's been quite awhile since I was active on PSK.   In the past I would call it "dabbling" even though I am a PODXS member.  I plan to change all that and get active.

I wanna play in the 24x7 and currently at 42, so I have a ways to go.

Sooo... using FLDIGI and setting up macros again.   In the past I would have what I consider a "Brag" that was way too wordy.... just curious what active members have in their's?

Was just on 30m for awhile calling CQ and no replies.   Can someone tell me how to set up and "auto cq" using FLDIGI?  .... I googled and couldn't find anything.

Also, if anyone has suggestions on what freq on 30m they usually call on.  I think getting activity on the WARC bands is a good idea.

73, and hope to CU on the waterfall!

Bob KW3F

PODXS Member # 2061

Mike Miller <lists@...>

Hi Bob,

I added the timer tag <TIMER:NN> at the end of my CQ macro where
NN is the repeat interval in seconds. Hitting Esc on the
keyboard stops the macro. So far I haven't found a better stop,
but I haven't read the whole macro section of the manual. Maybe
this will give you a start on your auto CQ.

73
Mike kc9doa

On 26 Dec 2015 at 17:23, cricklewood@gmail.com [070] wrote:

Can someone tell
me how to set up and "auto cq" using FLDIGI? .... I googled
and couldn't
find anything.

John Etling

I personally do not use a “brag” macro unless the other party throws theirs in. I really am not all that interested as a lot of “brag” files take more time to send than the rest of the QSO combined. BUT, to specifically answer the question: Radio, Antenna and power output. That’s it.

… I’m just sayin’

73 de K3JAE

John Etling

k3jae@...

070 #1820   LONP #321

[...]

I looked a little more into the <TIMER:NN> macro tag and the
bottom of page 132 of the FLDigi manual gives a better
description.

" The <TIMER:NN> and <IDLE:NN> macro tags should have the NN
replaced with the time interval in seconds.
<TX><IDLE:5>CQ CQ de <MYCALL> <MYCALL> k <RX><TIMER:20>
• will enable the PTT
• cause 5 seconds of idle signal
• send the CQ CQ de W1HKJ W1HKJ k
• disable PTT
• and count down 20seconds before repeating the macro
• after sending the text the count down timer button (upper right hand corner of main dialog) will display the
current timer value in seconds. Press this button to disable the timer.
Generated on Thu Nov 19 2015 05:48:40 for FLDIGI Users Manual by Doxygen

4.1Macros 133
• the timer be disabled if the Escape key is pressed, the T/R is pressed, and macro key is pressed, or if a
callsign is copied from the Rx text area to the callsign logbook entry.
• the time will be disabled if any mouse activity occurs in the waterfall control."

73
Mike kc9doa #1040

Don Bolstad K9DEB

Good info. Thanks. Need to set up in my macros too.

Don K9DEB #2007

Sent from my iPhone6

On Dec 27, 2015, at 15:07, 'Mike Miller' lists@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

On 26 Dec 2015 at 17:23, cricklewood@... [070] wrote:

> Can someone tell
> me how to set up and "auto cq" using FLDIGI? .... I googled
> and couldn't
> find anything.

Hi Bob,

I looked a little more into the macro tag and the
bottom of page 132 of the FLDigi manual gives a better
description.

" The and macro tags should have the NN
replaced with the time interval in seconds.
CQ CQ de k
• will enable the PTT
• cause 5 seconds of idle signal
• send the CQ CQ de W1HKJ W1HKJ k
• disable PTT
• and count down 20seconds before repeating the macro
• after sending the text the count down timer button (upper right hand corner of main dialog) will display the
current timer value in seconds. Press this button to disable the timer.
Generated on Thu Nov 19 2015 05:48:40 for FLDIGI Users Manual by Doxygen

4.1Macros 133
• the timer be disabled if the Escape key is pressed, the T/R is pressed, and macro key is pressed, or if a
callsign is copied from the Rx text area to the callsign logbook entry.
• the time will be disabled if any mouse activity occurs in the waterfall control."

73
Mike kc9doa #1040

Bob Brown <cricklewood@...>

Thanks Mike - Perfect!

On Sun, Dec 27, 2015 at 4:07 PM, 'Mike Miller' lists@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

On 26 Dec 2015 at 17:23, cricklewood@... [070] wrote:

> Can someone tell
> me how to set up and "auto cq" using FLDIGI? .... I googled
> and couldn't
> find anything.

Hi Bob,

I looked a little more into the macro tag and the
bottom of page 132 of the FLDigi manual gives a better
description.

" The and macro tags should have the NN
replaced with the time interval in seconds.
CQ CQ de k
• will enable the PTT
• cause 5 seconds of idle signal
• send the CQ CQ de W1HKJ W1HKJ k
• disable PTT
• and count down 20seconds before repeating the macro
• after sending the text the count down timer button (upper right hand corner of main dialog) will display the
current timer value in seconds. Press this button to disable the timer.
Generated on Thu Nov 19 2015 05:48:40 for FLDIGI Users Manual by Doxygen

4.1Macros 133
• the timer be disabled if the Escape key is pressed, the T/R is pressed, and macro key is pressed, or if a
callsign is copied from the Rx text area to the callsign logbook entry.
• the time will be disabled if any mouse activity occurs in the waterfall control."

73
Mike kc9doa #1040

Ted <pegduck56@...>

Hi Mike,
also, a suggestion to have a macro something like this when you get asked or maybe working a non-member:

"I am participating in a contest or event for the PODXS 070 Club (see http://podxs070.com)
PODXS 070 is a friendly on line club that promotes the use of psk31. Check out the website !"

73, Ted
K7TRK

On Sunday, December 27, 2015 2:46 PM, "Bob Brown cricklewood@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

Thanks Mike - Perfect!

On Sun, Dec 27, 2015 at 4:07 PM, 'Mike Miller' lists@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

On 26 Dec 2015 at 17:23, cricklewood@... [070] wrote:

> Can someone tell
> me how to set up and "auto cq" using FLDIGI? .... I googled
> and couldn't
> find anything.

Hi Bob,

I looked a little more into the macro tag and the
bottom of page 132 of the FLDigi manual gives a better
description.

" The and macro tags should have the NN
replaced with the time interval in seconds.
CQ CQ de k
• will enable the PTT
• cause 5 seconds of idle signal
• send the CQ CQ de W1HKJ W1HKJ k
• disable PTT
• and count down 20seconds before repeating the macro
• after sending the text the count down timer button (upper right hand corner of main dialog) will display the
current timer value in seconds. Press this button to disable the timer.
Generated on Thu Nov 19 2015 05:48:40 for FLDIGI Users Manual by Doxygen

4.1Macros 133
• the timer be disabled if the Escape key is pressed, the T/R is pressed, and macro key is pressed, or if a
callsign is copied from the Rx text area to the callsign logbook entry.
• the time will be disabled if any mouse activity occurs in the waterfall control."

73
Mike kc9doa #1040

Dan Morris - KZ3T

Good idea Ted.  I think I’ll find a spot for something like that in my macros.

for those asking or wondering about macros here is what I do and how I have mine set up:
In my program there are 10 banks of macros with 10 macros in each bank.  For 15/20/40/80M i have the following 10 macros:
1. CQ
2. Ans CQ
3. Start QSO This is where I can start a macro with xxx de mycall (and then say what I want if ragchewing)  I do this while the other person is talking, this way I can answer any questions as he asks.  when he’s done I hit F4 to Xmt continue on to finish and then I click on Shift-F4 to finish and when this macro finishes, it turns over to him.
4. Full Info: RST, my name, my qt., my grid, my epc#, my 070#  BTU
5. Equip - Send this if they send me one - Stn info, my age and 1st licensed info BTU
6. Info No #’s — Same as #4 just without the digital numbers
7. DX Quick QSO - RST, my name, TU 734 de kz3t sk
8. QRZ -  Self explanatory
9. Short Signoff - Tnx for mode/speed , Qsl via equals/lotw, 73 God Bless sk
10. Sign Off - Tnx mode/speed, enjoyed the contact. All the best … have a good day, etc and then sk

I have a set of macros for 10 meters alone since in my INFO macro I also give my 10-10# and for 30 meters where I give my 30MDG # — Oh, one bank is Translations - that is where when I sign off I sometimes will use that bank if talking to a French or Spanish or Russian etc.  I got that idea from someone here on the list. . .
My other macros I use for contests for 10-10, 070, etc.

Sorry it got a little lengthy but figured I would share.   Now, I’m always tuned in to something anyone has that might be a little better or any changes.   Seems like the first 2 or 3 years I was constantly changing my macros as I watched others on the waterfall and then tweaking mine as I go.  Everyone has something similar but yet quite different in how they communicate.

Maybe I’m naive or something since running digital. I feel like I’m still used to being on SSB for so long that when on digital it is the basic info and then tnx for QSO.  I feel like I’m cutting that person short and they might think I’m a butthead for not wanting to talk like we do on SSB.  It’s so easy to get carried away on SSB when talking and I feel like I need to say more on digital.

Just sayin'

Dan Morris   KZ3T   070-1065