OT Kenwood vs Yaesu

Ted <pegduck56@...>

GM,
your input appreciated.

I am asked with recommending a dual band mobile radio for our Medford CERT van. I provided the Emergency manager with brochures for the Yaesu 8800 and the Kenwood V71A. I also opined that I felt the Yaesu was a better QUALITY radio (maybe I should have kept my mouth shut !!)

So, the EM comes back with this brilliant question: "
Ted, can you or anyone you know quantify the quality difference between the two?  Is the Kenwood 95% as good as the Yaesu?  Half as good? "

Does anyone have any empirical data or info that suggests that one brand is 'better quality' than the other? Frequency of repair?

thank you for any input

73 and Merry Christmas
Ted
K7TRK 

Brian (N2MLP)

A lot of yaesu radio meet mil spec.

========================

de N2MLP Brian

Monroe County PA

========================

Sent: Tuesday, December 22, 2015 4:22 PM
To: yahoogroups
Subject: [070] OT Kenwood vs Yaesu

GM,

your input appreciated.

I am asked with recommending a dual band mobile radio for our Medford CERT van. I provided the Emergency manager with brochures for the Yaesu 8800 and the Kenwood V71A. I also opined that I felt the Yaesu was a better QUALITY radio (maybe I should have kept my mouth shut !!)

So, the EM comes back with this brilliant question: "

Ted, can you or anyone you know quantify the quality difference between the two?  Is the Kenwood 95% as good as the Yaesu?  Half as good? "

Does anyone have any empirical data or info that suggests that one brand is 'better quality' than the other? Frequency of repair?

thank you for any input

73 and Merry Christmas

Ted

K7TRK 

Len Hecker

.....the reviews would seem to indicate that the Yaesu is more popular at the same price point as the Kenwood.  I have no idea why.  Kenwood service is better, in my opinion. 73 len k3lrh

Jerry N9AVY

Years ago, there were 2 hams on Ascension Is. ... one was aYaesu fan and the other was a Kenwood fan.  Every time they met on the air the debate would ensue.

Seems like it was the old Ford vs. Chevy debate. It's all a matter of personal choice. Everyone's experiences with radio are different.

Either one will probably be okay.

Jerry N9AVY

To: 070@...
Sent: Tuesday, December 22, 2015 4:31 PM
Subject: [070] Re: OT Kenwood vs Yaesu

.....the reviews would seem to indicate that the Yaesu is more popular at the same price point as the Kenwood.  I have no idea why.  Kenwood service is better, in my opinion. 73 len k3lrh

Les Alverson <kd4sfd2@...>

Less filling...Tastes Great

Les k4lea

On 12/22/2015 17:38, Jerry n9avy@... [070] wrote:

Years ago, there were 2 hams on Ascension Is. ... one was aYaesu fan and the other was a Kenwood fan.  Every time they met on the air the debate would ensue.

Seems like it was the old Ford vs. Chevy debate. It's all a matter of personal choice. Everyone's experiences with radio are different.

Either one will probably be okay.

Jerry N9AVY

To: 070@...
Sent: Tuesday, December 22, 2015 4:31 PM
Subject: [070] Re: OT Kenwood vs Yaesu

Len Hecker

........FORD ;-)

Rick - N7WE

Ted-
What to buy?  Always a difficult question.  But one factor I believe should be high on the decision tree is:
"What brand is the most common personal radios among those who will need to operate the CERT Van rig?"  There will be one brand that more of your staff use than the others.  Poll the group and find out which!

The greatest problem I've seen with EM units is establishing and maintaining a group of qualified operators.  The technical capabilities of particular rigs are far less important that the ability of your operators to operate the rig under pressure.

Within a given brand, operating formats tend to be the similar - controls, menus, etc.  User familiarity with the particular brand through continual use of their personal rig goes a long way, not only to reducing initial training requirements, but increasing the time period before refresher training is necessary.  The last thing you need when the balloon goes up is to have to retrain the operators!  You really want to go from power up to handling traffic in about 1 minute.  From my experience, if your EM rig is not the brand the operator uses daily, the best you can hope for is about 30 days between hands-on refresher training.

Hope that helps!

Rick - N7WE - #1602
Former AEC - Planning
Lake County ARES
Lake County, Florida

Ted <pegduck56@...>

excellent input !  thank you, Ted
k7trk

On Tuesday, December 22, 2015 4:58 PM, "n7we1980@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

Ted-
What to buy?  Always a difficult question.  But one factor I believe should be high on the decision tree is:
"What brand is the most common personal radios among those who will need to operate the CERT Van rig?"  There will be one brand that more of your staff use than the others.  Poll the group and find out which!

The greatest problem I've seen with EM units is establishing and maintaining a group of qualified operators.  The technical capabilities of particular rigs are far less important that the ability of your operators to operate the rig under pressure.

Within a given brand, operating formats tend to be the similar - controls, menus, etc.  User familiarity with the particular brand through continual use of their personal rig goes a long way, not only to reducing initial training requirements, but increasing the time period before refresher training is necessary.  The last thing you need when the balloon goes up is to have to retrain the operators!  You really want to go from power up to handling traffic in about 1 minute.  From my experience, if your EM rig is not the brand the operator uses daily, the best you can hope for is about 30 days between hands-on refresher training.

Hope that helps!

Rick - N7WE - #1602
Former AEC - Planning
Lake County ARES
Lake County, Florida

Ted <pegduck56@...>

thank you to all who responded.

now, back to our regular scheduled programming !

Merry Christmas and 73
K7TRK

On Tuesday, December 22, 2015 5:10 PM, Ted <pegduck56@...> wrote:

excellent input !  thank you, Ted
k7trk

On Tuesday, December 22, 2015 4:58 PM, "n7we1980@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

Ted-

Hope that helps!

Rick - N7WE - #1602
Former AEC - Planning
Lake County ARES
Lake County, Florida

Mike Miller <lists@...>

Hi Ted,

I have had my FT-8800R in the car since late 2003 with no
problems. That includes WI subzero winters to 100 degree summer
days, with no problems. Our club owns a couple and several other
members own them as well. I haven't heard of any reliability
problems. I know of one Kenwood V71A in the club and it has had
no problems. If the Kenwood would have been available when I
bought the Yaesu, I might have bought the Kenwood based on
better front panel lighting and having a proper cross band
repeater IDer and a few other features.

Mike kc9doa

On 22 Dec 2015 at 21:22, Ted pegduck56@yahoo.com [070] wrote:

GM,your input appreciated.
I am asked with recommending a dual band mobile radio for our
Medford CERT van. I provided the Emergency manager with
brochures for the Yaesu 8800 and the Kenwood V71A. I also
opined that I felt the Yaesu was a better QUALITY radio (maybe
I should have kept my mouth shut !!)
So, the EM comes back with this brilliant question: "Ted, can
you or anyone you know quantify the qualitydifference between
the two?  Is theKenwood 95% as good as the Yaesu?  Halfas
good? "
Does anyone have any empirical data or info that suggests that
one brand is 'better quality' than the other? Frequency of
repair?
thank you for any input
73 and Merry ChristmasTedK7TRK

Ted <pegduck56@...>

thank you, Mike

73, Ted
K7TRK

On Tuesday, December 22, 2015 9:44 PM, "'Mike Miller' lists@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

Hi Ted,

I have had my FT-8800R in the car since late 2003 with no
problems. That includes WI subzero winters to 100 degree summer
days, with no problems. Our club owns a couple and several other
members own them as well. I haven't heard of any reliability
problems. I know of one Kenwood V71A in the club and it has had
no problems. If the Kenwood would have been available when I
bought the Yaesu, I might have bought the Kenwood based on
better front panel lighting and having a proper cross band
repeater IDer and a few other features.

Mike kc9doa

On 22 Dec 2015 at 21:22, Ted pegduck56@... [070] wrote: