OT Kenwood vs Yaesu

Ted <pegduck56@...>

GM,
your input appreciated.

I am asked with recommending a dual band mobile radio for our Medford CERT van. I provided the Emergency manager with brochures for the Yaesu 8800 and the Kenwood V71A. I also opined that I felt the Yaesu was a better QUALITY radio (maybe I should have kept my mouth shut !!)

So, the EM comes back with this brilliant question: "
Ted, can you or anyone you know quantify the quality difference between the two?  Is the Kenwood 95% as good as the Yaesu?  Half as good? "

Does anyone have any empirical data or info that suggests that one brand is 'better quality' than the other? Frequency of repair?

thank you for any input

73 and Merry Christmas
Ted
K7TRK

Brian (N2MLP)

A lot of yaesu radio meet mil spec.

========================

         de N2MLP Brian

       Monroe County PA

========================

I am asked with recommending a dual band mobile radio for our Medford CERT van. I provided the Emergency manager with brochures for the Yaesu 8800 and the Kenwood V71A. I also opined that I felt the Yaesu was a better QUALITY radio (maybe I should have kept my mouth shut !!)

So, the EM comes back with this brilliant question: "

Ted, can you or anyone you know quantify the quality difference between the two?  Is the Kenwood 95% as good as the Yaesu?  Half as good? "

Does anyone have any empirical data or info that suggests that one brand is 'better quality' than the other? Frequency of repair?

thank you for any input

73 and Merry Christmas

Ted

K7TRK

Len Hecker

.....the reviews would seem to indicate that the Yaesu is more popular at the same price point as the Kenwood.  I have no idea why.  Kenwood service is better, in my opinion. 73 len k3lrh

Jerry N9AVY

Years ago, there were 2 hams on Ascension Is. ... one was aYaesu fan and the other was a Kenwood fan.  Every time they met on the air the debate would ensue.

Seems like it was the old Ford vs. Chevy debate. It's all a matter of personal choice. Everyone's experiences with radio are different.

Either one will probably be okay.

Jerry N9AVY