NA-056

Steve W3HF

Some of you may have worked CO4SM (or perhaps another Cuban station) operating from NA-056, variously known as the Isle of Pines or Isle of Youth (Isla de la Juventud).

Up until today that was just a name to me, as I knew nothing about the island. The Washington Post online has an article with the island's history:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/rweb/world/cubas-island-of-broken-dreams/2015/10/31/18573202-65e7-11e5-bdb6-6861f4521205_story.html?wpisrc=nl_draw2

Thank you Steve!  I have worked Manuel, CO4SM, but had no idea of the history.  Fascinating.  By the way, QRZ says no mail, eQSL, or LoTW - QSL via EA7FTR, but he does have 49,808 lookups.  Hope that some day he too will be a member of PODXS!  Thanks for sharing the link.

Rick - N7WE
070 -#1602

Len Hecker

...interesting article.  thanks for posting!  73 len, k3lrh