Let The Wild Rumpus Begin..

73, Ted
K7TRK

Morris WA4MIT

Hi Ted

I have been thinking along the same lines. I work a lot of the JT modes due to our poor band conditions and I generally find there are many more JT signals on the bands than there are psk. There have been lots of times when there were no psk signals to be heard while JT signals will make it through. I was one of the early users of PSK31 even before it was a windows program and the waterfall and I still like the mode but as I see it JT modes are here to stay and allow us to operate digital and make contacts. A lot of DX stations are now using the new modes and they allow stations with very modest power and antennas to get on the air and make contacts all around the world.
Just my thoughts guys

Morris Wideman
WA4MIT

On Wednesday, August 19, 2015 1:27 AM, "Ted pegduck56@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

Good Evening,

Well, for better or worse, I feel like sharing something that has popped into my head in the last week or so. As we know, a lot of changes have taken place in the Club over the past couple of years. A couple of changes are a bit disconcerting to me, but may have bearing on my ultimate proposal. The first thing is that we seem to have forgotten the history of the Club and the vision of the founders. It seems that now, there are no members of the management team that are even remotely have ties to the 'Old Guard'. Some of that is understandable, as some of the founders choose to take a break from their duties.  The 'old' website had a pretty good history of the Club and it's founders thinking on how they evolved to a purely PSK mode Club. Sadly, (and shame on the current management), none of that history exists on the current website. As best as I recall (from the information that was on the old website), the Club was formed as the Penn-Ohio DX Club by some folks interested in DX activity. Again, torturing my memory, the founders 'signed on' to the new PSK modes(s), and the Club went down the road of a purely PSK31 Club, with events and contests geared to that mode.

'Fast forward' to 2015, and the genesis of my 'random thought'. At the time the founders chose the PSK path, I think that other than RTTY, that was pretty much it for digital modes (pls don't beat me up on this...if wrong, I fall on my sword). I now confess, that for the past several months, I have actively been using various permutations of the WSJT modes (JT65, JT9, JT65HF, etc., etc) Those modes are not a secret if you own a computer. I have been active on both VHF and HF modes of these digital modes. I have literally logged  3 to 4 times the contacts on these modes vs. PSK modes. As we know, the bands have not been kind to us in recent months, but when I have a waterfall blank in PSK, I can switch to one of the WSJT modes, and see a full screen of stations within minutes.

So, by now, you can see where the 'Random Thought' is going. Is it time to consider expanding the PODXS Club to a Club that accepts ALL digital modes? Yes, there are various EU Clubs that have variations on this theme, but I don't think any of them have the cachet of the PODXS Club. I think the PODXS Club is the 'Gold Standard' worldwide when it comes to digital clubs. My proposal anticipates a lot more work for the current management team, so all the members would need to pitch in and assist. (an editorial comment: I hate RTTY, but I guess it's digital)

So now, even though I am no longer cursed with a 'career/job', and can sleep in, I leave you ponder my essay, while I curl up with K7Cleo, K7Stella and the lovely Susan ...

Let The Wild Rumpus Begin..

73, Ted
K7TRK

David Westbrook

> The 'old' website had a pretty good history of the Club and it's founders thinking on how they evolved to a purely PSK mode Club. Sadly, (and shame on the current management), none of that history exists on the current website.

We attempt to fill in that gap last year when you suggested it,  but got no information from the group for content -- so shame on the group!  :) ...  It's definitely not something the current management can do alone .. This item was definitely on the list, but lots of higher priority items in the last year took  precedence.
If someone can compile the content for a history page, that would definitely be a great thing to post on the website.

===========
Maybe a first step would be to consider expanding within the PSK domain first ... I'm not sure the original reason for BPSK31-only.

Maybe an addition to complement 31-flavors that involves other modes ..   Or even just add JTx to 31-flavors.

You mentioned other groups,  and i'll reiterate those -- EPC [including large USA membership], 30MDG, DMC,  etc and digitalradio (open yahoogroup; not a club)  all have their places and advantages (in particular the awards programs are all good).

There was a movement a couple years ago to create a JT65 club, but it fizzled out ... no one took the reins, and due to the rigid nature it's tough to do member# exchanges or things like that.    There's a lot on the topic in the various jt65 reflector archives.

It's also a slippery-slope -- the club is the "gold standard" so let's expand to JT ...  and all digital ... and CW .. and SSB.

There's also logistical issues --  we've scaled a LOT in the last year or so ... number of members/awards/mailings -- and a lot of that goes through a single Mr. Mailman ...  I think the size & growth is at a good spot/pace right now; and any significant change would need to take that into consideration.    Also,  we're still in a phase of transition/changes (awards/contests/websiteetc), and that should keep playing out before any big shift.

>  I have literally logged  3 to 4 times the contacts on these modes vs. PSK modes.

JT-guilty here, too! And i recognize a lot of 070 callsigns too in WSJT-X :)
But that's a strong argument for the club NOT going all-digital ... If the concern is that the mode usage is down, then the goal should be promoting it more, not diluting to other modes.

==========

A "core change" I'd like to see discussed/considered would be the 50-contact membership requirement.. The one thing this group doesn't do is get people started on digital/PSK -- the listserv is closed until you're a member, and you have to be active on PSK to be a member.  When i've received setup questions, I've referred people to the digitalradio  yahoogroup.
Perhaps a new reflector that opened to anyone?   Or encourage 070 members to be active on digitalradio ?
I don't really have a suggestion/solution,  but the topic ties in with the concern of declining PSK usage. .

73!
--david
KJ4IZW

On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 2:27 AM, Ted pegduck56@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

[...]

I'd like to weigh in on the Random Thoughts suggestions.

First, I'm opposed to expanding the group to include other digital modes.  Indeed - a slippery slope.  I joined because it was a PSK group, and more importantly, a PSK31 group.  At the time I joined, the only thing that was not PSK31 was the 31 flavors and, if I recall correctly, the now discontinued Death Match.  Let's leave it PSK31.  Yes, I too work the WSJT modes, and they are easier to work than PSK, especially when the prop is poor.  But part of the fun for me is making QSO's when it isn't easy.  Develops my operating skills.

Second, I don't think the LONP qualification for membership number of 100 should be changed.  It is still a standard that requires directed effort.  Our contests are a major way to build your number, but it still takes intention to work towards it.  It isn't something that will just fall off the tree because we have more members.  The continuing LONP endorsements, annual WABOL, and the Honor Roll provide adequate continuing interest.

Third, I think having the 50 contacts for membership is a good standard.  I don't see this club as a recruiting tool for PSK31.  I see it as a enhancing participation tool for PSK31.  If there is a low, or no threshold for membership, we will have a ton of members....who never play.  I've seen it in other organizations.  There are a lot of joiners out there who find status in how many clubs they belong to.  We would be particularly attractive since there are no membership dues - just voluntary contributions. (You do contribute, don't you?).  In my experience, the administrative load becomes impossible and the club dies.

Fourth, I think we have plenty of endorsements and contests to keep members active and busy.  If we try to be everything to everyone, we will be nothing to anyone!  Let's take a break from introducing new and solidify the recent gains and promote what's now in place.  If you can't find something in the current PODXS to pique your interest and provide fun, maybe you are looking in the wrong place.

Finally, a wise quote from the noted psychologist, Dr. Charles Seashore: Be cautious, attempts to make things better usually don't.

---In 070@..., <pegduck56@...> wrote :

Rick - N7WE

My Bad!  Forgot to sign before hitting the send.  Webfootwanderer, N7WE1980@..., is

LONP - #231

David Westbrook

Third, I think having the 50 contacts for membership is a good standard.  I don't see this club as a recruiting tool for PSK31.  I see it as a enhancing participation tool for PSK31.  If there is a low, or no threshold for membership, we will have a ton of members....who never play.

Totally agreed ... I should have been clearer that the 50 QSO threshold does serve an important purpose -- what you said, and also from a cost perspective (matt can provide the numbers of what we spend per new member application)... BUT it leaves the gap that we're not getting anyone started on PSK, only continuing their interest.  So how could we potentially fill that gap, without removing the 50-Q threshold or negatively impacting membership/costs?

4th point is well stated .. and we've been very conscious of rate of change over the last year--it's trying to find a balance between trying to improve and not changing "too much" or "too fast".   And things have definitely been throttled because of it, e.g. new endorsement suggestions from members -- some good ones still on the idea list, but haven't been able to implement them yet.

73!
--david
KJ4IZW

On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 9:33 AM, n7we1980@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

[...]

---In 070@..., wrote :

David, K9DWR

* David Westbrook dwestbrook@gmail.com [070] <070@yahoogroups.com> [2015-08-19 10:00]:

application)... BUT it leaves the gap that we're not getting anyone started
on PSK, only continuing their interest. So how could we potentially fill
that gap, without removing the 50-Q threshold or negatively impacting
membership/costs?
That's a real chicken-or-the-egg question, isn't it? The 50-Q doesn't
matter if they aren't using PSK in the first place. The real issue is
how can the club promote PSK31 to people that AREN'T USING PSK31?

--
David, K9DWR
#1604 LONP #255
david@graniteweb.com

John Etling

All;

I must echo K7TRK in his idea to expand into the JT-Modes as I also have triple the JT mode contacts than PSK. In the last 1 year I made 1100 PSK contacts, easily made near 4000 contacts (would have to query my DB for the actual total) and I have not even been using JT modes the full year. Some of you may recall my inquiry a few months back asking this same thing, with me nearly getting my head chewed off by “some.”

I was even thinking of finding like-minded persons who would be willing to start their own version of the 070 club as I think it is necessary and needed. I know of no organization that specifically endorses JT modes and getting achievements for reaching milestones is non-existent. Yeah, ARRL has begrudgingly started recognizing it, eQsl has done the same thing, but there is no active “I gotta have it” achievements or the type of like-minded people, who truly love the JT modes as I do.

Ted speaks absolute fact when he notes that when conditions are poor the PSK portion of the band is completely empty yet the JT portion are alive and well… Maybe not as strong as other days, but band conditions never seem to fully shut down JT modes. Less power is required, and a “training page” of sorts on how to run JT modes would be helpful.  I have contacted more new DXCC locations on JT modes than ever on PSK/Phone combined. I am not blessed with a huge beam, on a huge tower. I run either a 43’ vertical planted, by necessity, in a not so ideal and surely less than perfect location or a dipole oriented E/W at 30 feet. I will probably never get anywhere near 300 DXCC credits, not that I care, but I would like to get at least the 116 confirmed that I worked.

However… turning about faced… expanding means more work for those who manage the system. More un-covered costs overall in sticker endorsements etc. So rather than expanding what seems to be working pretty well like a well-oiled machine, why not add a “second” group to the management to oversee the JT modes, independent for the most part of the PSK modes, or have others volunteer to start a “club” specific to the JT modes. I would be in favor of either and would be willing to throw my hat in the ring of those willing to try at new group or club. Surely one would not think ill thoughts of a group of 070 members also reaching out to the JT users… If that was the case 1010 (just sayin here) members would never be PODSX members and vise-versa.

Many of us PSKers I am sure work the JT modes, I know this because I have personally worked you on them. Some of your calls are in my memory, knowing name/state as I know mine. Rather than have a push/shove contest here on the reflector, everyone should be open-minded, speak your thoughts without bashing someone else’s ideas/thoughts and seriously considering ALL proposals. I’m not suggesting we go crazy here with deciding what to do… I would advocate more that if PODXS wants to stay close to its roots, that is perfectly fine… If some of its members wish to start a similar group specific to JT modes, than that is also fine.

… I’m just sayin’

73 de K3JAE

John Etling

k3jae@...

070 #1820   LONP #321

No virus found in this message.

No virus found in this message.

David Westbrook

> I was even thinking of finding like-minded persons who would be willing to start their own version of the 070 club as I think it is necessary and needed. I know of no organization that specifically endorses JT modes and getting achievements for reaching milestones is non-existent

That was the exact intention of this group:
Though it never materialized, but I think the interest/following and open niche is all still there.   And people do still find & join that list occasionally (i'm a moderator/approver).
( i can forward upon request some of the original  jt65-hf@...  threads from ~March 2011 discussing a JT65 club)

>  Less power is required, and a “training page” of sorts on how to run JT modes would be helpful.

Several howto's/tutorials are readily available.  off-topic for here, but for anyone looking to start, download WSJT-X and JT-Alert programs.  There are several reflectors as well, and i'm assuming a slew of youtube videos.

73!
--david
KJ4IZW

On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 11:32 AM, 'John Etling' john@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

[...]

So where can I find a primer on the JT modes? Can I use existing interface? What software?

No virus found in this message.

No virus found in this message.

After seeing a few comments on this subject I think this would be an added burden on those who run 070.  The crew does an amazing job now, but add the JTx modes and these folks will have to give up family life, spare time and just plain not have a life; I'm sure that most of them are working for a living and would like to hold on to their jobs.  All this "let's do this or that"  sounds great, but doing the actual work in implementing it.

070 is doing a great job and I think it should keep on doing one thing well.  Branching out in too many directions can/will cause problems down the line eventually. My experience with 10-10 over the past 29 years has been people take on a job as a certificate manager and after a few years are overwhelmed, burnt out and give up or just disappear.  Making a commitment to start something and to keep it rolling requires time and energy.  Many pay lip service to a project and as they get involved more & more, they decide that it wasn't what they thought it would be.

Personally, I think there should be a separate group for the JT modes and not under the PODXS 070 flag.

Just my 2 cents worth ..

Jerry  N9AVY

P.S.   Flames to anybody but me !

No virus found in this message.
No virus found in this message.

Jerry,

I agree, and really don’t see this as a big issue.

This is a bpsk31 club.

If someone wants to spend time on other modes with a membership to a group that supports the other modes, what’s stopping them?

David listed a gaggle of other clubs supporting other modes.

Ted, there’s no wild rumpus.

Just sayin’...
Milt.

N6MG

No virus found in this message.

No virus found in this message.

lorenmcc@...

Here are my thoughts on the subject.  Being a PSK31 only club can be a bit limiting.  I am not suggesting expanding into all digital modes, but maybe start encompassing the other PSK modes.  Most of Europe, at least in my experience these days, now uses more PSK63 or PSK125 than PSK31, which is making it harder to obtain some of the endorsements. The QPSK modes are not used as extensively.

There are several clubs that count QSOs from all digital modes (including the JT variants), which also includes CW in a few cases.

The EPC club counts all PSK modes (and ONLY PSK modes) interchangeably, with a few awards that are mode specific, but our endorsements are mostly unique and more interesting.  EPC has literally hundreds of awards, most of which I have no idea what they are, but they have a downloadable program to check your log for the awards and have the submission process automated.

There is probably a gap for some club to cover the JT modes specifically, and I was in that group that was exploring the JT65 club mentioned in the thread, but that will take a large effort to get started and keep going until it is established and that is not a direction I think that we should take with the 070 club.

Loren - WA3WZR #875

Darl DEEDS

My thoughts:

Keep it PSK.

JT and other modes can start their own clubs.

 I would like the club to include all PSK modes.

73

Darl  NA8W

Robert Johnstone

I think that increasing the interest in digital and the club is an unspoken obligation of each club member.  If I tell someone at a ham meeting that my computer crashed and they offer to send me an e-mail on how to fix it; I suspicion their IQ may below room temperature.  It is hard to encourage psk 31 of you only do so using psk 31.   Conversely if I tell someone that I had a keyboard to keyboard conversation with a DX station at 30 Watts or less, it may encourage them to try something other than phone portions of the band populated by 800-1500 Watt poor antennas.  Seems the way to prove a group is viable is to start one and find the workers that enjoy it, then you have something attractive for sale. Otherwise you are trying to add work to people who did not sign up to do your work for you.  My $.02 Rob kd0fip 1396

#1604 LONP #255
david@...

Dan Morris - KZ3T

I agree with Jerry and Loren — However, the possibility of using PSK63 and 125 would be a nice addition.  So, any awards would be PSK31, 63, 125, any of those modes.

I am one of those managers for 10-10 and I can vouch for what Jerry has said.  I guess I’m one of the exceptions as I have been a bar manager since 1998!!   However, with that said, I have seen way too many managers start up in 10-10 and then not last very long for whatever reason.  I could see the same thing happening with the 070 club.   Just my .02 cents worth as well.

Dan Morris   KZ3T   070-1065

On Aug 19, 2015, at 11:58 AM, Jerry n9avy@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

[...]

JEFF WALSH

We must remember that any expansion must be tempered with the additional workload that we might be putting on the "Volunteer" management staff. I am OK with expansion but without burning out the staff or abusing them. Just my thoughts.

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU

No virus found in this message.
No virus found in this message.

W7RIV

I think all of these are valid points and for different reasons.

The original message has me questioning, is PODX a PSK club or a DX club? I really do not know. I have always thought of it as a PSK club.

The first thing I look for in a club are friendly and active people. Granted, I'm not the most active right now, life gets in the way. But, I know when I do, there are so many here having fun. I actually sit at work thinking of all the fun you are having while I'm working. I love that we have such great tools as the endorsement checker and other fun things to earn and work towards.

Just like some people have said, we all run different modes at different times. Certainly some are more digital only people, but at some point we are all digital people or we wouldn't be here.

What would be nice is have the ability to search through these friendly and active people and see what else they are doing. A list that we can have to communicate. Now is the question to have a JT65 club and a PSK63 club and a RTTY club and a this club. There are so many things to do in ham radio. That is why I like finding a great group of guys. I started PSK as one of my very first items a few years ago when I started into the hobby. I like the idea of RTTY but for some reason really suck at it. I have tried JT65 recently and really love it. I can be active while I'm at home later in the evening and it was easy to get working.

I'm interested in the people, the activity and I want to do more things with you. I want to be more active. I want to learn and improve my skill. I like to have fun. I do not want to make it work. I do not want to make this club work either. Because I hate the idea of people not being able to be on the radio because they are attending to admin duties, or programming code for an awesome endorsement checker. Maybe whoever has the most LONP contacts we add more responsibility to them so it slows them down and lets us lower ones get ahead. =)

Thanks,
Bryon W7RIV

On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 12:25 PM, JEFF WALSH jeffwalsh1644@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

We must remember that any expansion must be tempered with the additional workload that we might be putting on the "Volunteer" management staff. I am OK with expansion but without burning out the staff or abusing them. Just my thoughts.

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU

No virus found in this message.
No virus found in this message.

Robert A Carter (W0QFW)

my 1/2 cents worth :) I know I'm new and all and probably don't have much weight in such matters, but the only reason I joined was because it WASN'T like all the other RTTY/PSK/JT/Etc/Etc clubs out there.  PODXS 070 is "Unique" and in my opinion it would be nice to leave it that way.  In the short time I have played in the hobby, i can see it already that some modes just need a nail in a tree and you can get 1000's of contacts.. but with PSK31..... It makes me work for it and I like that..

Robert (W0QFW) #2077

On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 2:41 PM, Bryon nnegrom@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

[...]

Steve W3HF

Okay, time for the historian to weigh in.

The Penn Ohio DX Society (PODXS) was started in 1996 by four guys near the Pennsylvania-Ohio border: N3DQU, AA8QQ, KD3MO and AA3KM. KA3X joined a short time later. The original focus was providing an alternative to some of the local clubs which were too focused on VHF/UHF repeaters. PODXS was definitely not focused on PSK, but it was clearly focused on HF operation, and membership was limited to General class and above licensees.

In mid 2000, KA3X read about the new PSK31 mode, and convinced the other 3 members that they should do something to encourage its operation. So they started the (PODXS) 070 Club on 1 July 2000 (or at least that was the start date to accumulate QSOs) as an internet-based club specifically for the promotion of PSK31, including awards, contests, and camaraderie. To ensure that membership wasn't simply a "me too, give me a number" thing, they established the 50-QSO requirement, one of which had to be confirmed. Back in late 2000, finding that many signals took a bit of time. KA3X got his 50 QSOs by 21 September to earn 070 member #1.

(FWIW, I started on PSK31 on 29 November that year, and didn't get my 50th QSO until the 16th or 17th of December.)

Early on there was a significant distinction between PODXS and the 070 Club. PODXS sponsored a PA QSO Party plaque, and held its own private "challenges" for its own limited membership. (One was the PODXS Cup Challenge, an annual on-the-air scavenger hunt. An example of the non-PSK focus was that one year one of the PODXS Cup targets was "work an 070 APE on a mode other than PSK".) PODXS also held an annual in-person meeting for the local members.

PODXS membership was also more limited--you couldn't apply for membership. Regular membership never went above five members, and as of 2000 (when 070 was formed) there were only four: N3DQU, AA8QQ, KA3X and N3XC. In the early 2000s, those four members started adding a few honorary members. Because of the growth of the 070 club, often the honorary members were folks who made special contributions to 070 club management and operations. N6YIH was the early webmaster. DL2AYL translated the 070 club web pages into German. WM2U started the PODXS DPX award (digital prefix) which later was transferred to TARA to become the TARA-PX series. K8IJ took over the website and ran many of the endorsements. I was the Rules Maven, reflector owner, and PSKfest manager.

070 membership was always open to anyone who qualified (and applied). All 070 activities were PSK31, with the exception of the Flavors contest. (Note to one comment: The Death Match was never PODXS or 070. It was sponsored by the Michigan DX Association, MDXA. I don't know if that organization still exists.)

Perhaps a way to look at it was that the 070 club was a wholly-owned subsidiary of PODXS. PODXS was the sponsor of the 070 club, and 070 was part of PODXS, but it was always a misnomer to say that 070 was PODXS.

Over time PODXS itself has faded into the background. Some of the members stopped participating. The PODXS Cup was stopped. There may still be a PA QSO Party plaque being sponsored, but the last official PODXS action that I recall was when W4KRN was given honorary membership a few years ago at Dayton.

And as this happened, the distinction between PODXS and 070 started blurring, at least in some people's minds. I'm sure there are a few old-timers (like me!) who bristle every time someone says "PODXS" when they really should be saying "070" (or at least "PODXS 070"), but perhaps that's just the evolution of terminology and organizations. And unless the "real" PODXS increases its activity starts emphasizing the difference, it's probably a losing battle.

Unofficial 070 Club Historian and General-Purpose Old-Timer