2015 31 FLAVORS CONTEST

John Bower <poppajohnbower@...>

Good evening - I have watched the stuff flying on the reflector regarding the 31 Flavors Contest. Last year I was able to play and had a bunch of fun working a variety of modes. But this year I was, due to Work and out of state family commitments, only able to operate for an hour after lunch on Saturday.
The band was not too good during that period, not helped by the fact that one station (Not an 070 member) was obliterating a fair chunk of the waterfall with an over powered or badly configured signal. There was no discernible signals on 080. Having said that, and having read and reread the comments made - I would like to make three comments.
1. This is a hobby and supposed to be fun and to foster goodwill.
2. Read the rules, read the rules and play by them. the requirement were clearly stated. An gave an op for non members to play and hopefully, seeing the sportsmanship involved come and join us. Yes we may have had to point out the exchange required to non members - we were not in a life or death contest and there was plenty of time to extend that courtesy.
3. If you don't like the rules or anything else about the contest there is always something else to do.
I hope this does not stir up a furor but felt I should make some comment.
Have a blessed Easter Season
Until next time.
John KE4JB

Sam <samuelcollins@...>

I don't think anyone would disagree with any of that.
Sam
W9OCC

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 7, 2015, at 5:46 PM, John Bower poppajohnbower@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

[...]

Ted <pegduck56@...>

or.....as Milt said yesterday, we goes our separate ways and sin no further.....(jeez, in my old age it never ceases to amaze me the things people (and I include myself) will bitch about..)

stop the madness..

#1028  (or let the logger find it !)

On Tuesday, April 7, 2015 8:07 PM, "Sam samuelcollins@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

[...]

John Etling

WOW! Sorry about all the hubba balu I seemed to have started. Not my intention. My main point was I had no idea what 31 flavors contest was about and numerous people throwing in how a QSO should be conducted seemed all too confusing to me. BTW, NOT ONE PERSON responded to me why the 31 flavors or gave an explanation of its purpose or even how to get what the goal was. Internet is limited for me so I do not generally get a lot of time to read rules and reasons why a contest is afoot. Call me what you will but some people just do not have time to sit at a computer and read rules thoroughly, if at all. I make no apologies for my earlier statements other than it was surely not intended to start near a 2 week tit-for-tat responses by all. It surely got real hateful over a simple, innocent comment.

Have fun, pick your poison, as it were, and if you are not interested in  the contest, do not understand or cannot abide by the rules of a contest then wait for the next. If it is too fast a pace, wait for the next one. Period. That was the crux of my original statement.

And one wonders why I avoid most people at all costs. Unbelievable the amount of trash and junk that hit the reflector. Some just can’t wait to jump on the bandwagon while others simply just can’t wait to topple it over. Really people? It is like everyone is waiting for just the right opportunity to just take time to slap someone stupid. One knows more than the other, one has more experience, one is a newbie, who gives a rat’s behind? This is supposed to be fun, not a freakin’ job or a blood contest. To have one get criticized by just making an innocent comment or a suggestion is ridiculous! Is this what the human race has evolved to? “I make more money than you,” “I got more toys,” “I have 900 years of experience…” SO WHAT? We all still put our pants on the same way as all of you do, be it jeans or a $1000.00 pair.

Always remember, you will not be taking it with you when the Good Lord takes you out of the game permanently. I make EXCEEDINGLY great money and have lot of toys but I flaunt it not nor do I try to impress with my knowledge unless it is asked. I would never lay in wait waiting for some poor soul to make an innocent comment so I can pound his face into a pulp just for thinking it.

I shall not respond to the sure hate postings to come over my comments above and cannot wait to see who will be the 1st  that just can’t contain their ego any longer to make some sort of a head bashing comment or to show me how wrong I am in my thinking. Any takers?

JOHN A. ETLING - Owner

PANDA EXPRESS TRANSPORTATION SERVICE, LLC

DOT: 2463420                MC-851306               SCAC:  PETS

754 COLLEGE STREET

BRUCETON, TN.  38317-2502

Phone: (731) 535-1163

Avast logo

Dan Morris - KZ3T

John - Nothing wrong from this end that I see.  Don’t worry, this is not the only reflector that I see bashing going on when they get the chance.  I know that a lot of people says things that just don’t come out the way they want or meant and , wow, do those others jump on it.  And then on the other hand those that bash (in their defense) also come out and say stuff that just doesn’t seem to come out quite the way they want either.  It goes both ways.    As Jerry, N9AVY will attest the 10-10 reflector and others are exactly the same way.   So, it is not just this reflector.  There are guys that are on this reflector that have something to say everyday and lots of good info is passed along but it just doesn’t take much anymore this day and age to rile people up.   That is exactly why I hardly ever say anything.  I’ve tried to learn from observing and one thing I’ve learned is no matter what you say someone out there has a different opinion.   Instead of telling/bashing someone to the whole world, here’s a thought, why don’t you got directly to that person and tell him what you think???

I’m not directing this to anyone in particular.  It is just a general statement for anyone.  Heck, I’ve even wanted to do the same thing but then when thinking back at how things just like this get started I try and go to the person off the list and say what I need to say.  I do try and keep it simple and try not to judge or be critical and try not to offend anyone either.  I like to give the benefit of the doubt to most people and believe that they have the best intentions but it just doesn’t come out that way.

My .02 cents worth.  Thanks and most of all, let’s have fun with this hobby of ours.

Dan Morris   KZ3T

On Apr 8, 2015, at 2:45 AM, 'John Etling' john@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

[...]

I think I've pretty much stayed out of this thread.  But, since Dan brought my name into this, I have a comment or two.

First this happens on other reflectors.  I serve as a moderator for 10-10 List as well as Assistant Moderator for TenMeters.  There are times when people mean well, but their comments are taken the wrong way. This happens because with the written word we cannot always convey the tone of a post.  This is because not all of us are wordsmiths; but use of an occasional "emoticon" can put intended meaning into our words.

A case in point: A reflector group many years ago had the Reply all/Reply sender options and  one had to be careful how one replied .   Someone made a comment to another person which should have been a private email, but  the wrong option was chosen and the email went to everyone instead of the intended person.  Needless to say, there was a major crisis which nearly shut down the group and the author of negative email left the group.

When we hit "Reply"  here on 070 it goes to everyone.  The only way to make a comment to an individual is to deliberately send a email to a specific person, but some people are just lazy (probably a bad choice of words; so substitute any ) word that makes you feel better)  and will reply to group when their comments should go to an individual.  There are also some who should learn to change the subject line when they change topics (Again I attribute to not knowing better or just being lazy). Perhaps we should have a thread on email etiquette ?

  Perhaps the answer to what Dan was talking about is that we observe the 24 hour rule and wait 24 hours before replying to an email (I know that's a rough one) and reread the post ... and maybe editing a bit to take rough edges off.   Just a thought ...

Anyhow, this is a great group and we're all into this to have fun and I hope we're all friends here.  So let's leave this whole thread behind us and get on with having fun.

Jerry  N9AVY  #454

[...]

Jerry, I taught a class called "Introduction to the Internet" for several semesters at the college I recently retired from.  We spent several classes discussing etiquette, and how to refrain from flaming others.  While it sounded good in the classroom, the students did not put it to good use.  I noticed many occasions of students violating all etiquette.

With this in mind, I am positive that a thread on etiquette would not provide the result you are attempting to achieve. ;-)

Jim K5SP #483