On Contests

Jerry N9AVY

Here another suggestion that everyone will hate:

How about one where the grid number is the number of points you receive for each contact ?   I'm in EN52   and you should get 52 points for working me.  Use s/p/c's as multipliers as everyone ends up with a pile of points !

Jerry  N9AVY

Joseph Miller <kj8o.ham@...>

FWIW, I like it... The Feld Hell Club (hellschreiber operating mode) has an award where you get point​s for the Grid Locator Number. The "00's" are scored as 100 points. If one digital club uses it, why can't another?

73 de Joe KJ8O PODXS 1244, FH 2912

--
It's important to think. It's what separates us from lentils.    Jack Lucas

Drew from Zhrodague

Hm, that would work great for me - FN00 !!

On 3/25/15 1:25 PM, Joseph Miller kj8o.ham@... [070] wrote:
FWIW, I like it... The Feld Hell Club (hellschreiber operating mode) has
an award where you get point​s for the Grid Locator Number. The "00's"
are scored as 100 points. If one digital club uses it, why can't another?

73 de Joe KJ8O PODXS 1244, FH 2912

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 1:14 PM, Jerry n9avy@...
<mailto:n9avy@...> [070] <070@...
<mailto:070@...>> wrote:

__

Here another suggestion that everyone will hate:

How about one where the grid number is the number of points you
receive for each contact ? I'm in EN52 and you should get 52
points for working me. Use s/p/c's as multipliers as everyone ends
up with a pile of points !

It's important to think. It's what separates us from lentils. Jack Lucas

--

Drew from Zhrodague
post-apocalyptic ad-hoc industrialist
drew@...

Jerry N9AVY

Does this "level the playing field" ?

Actually, I really don't think there is any such thing as a "level playing field" in ham radio because there are just too many variables in equipment, antennas and propagation. The only way that the playing fields could be leveled is if everyone was at the same station location.

Jerry  n9avy

Hm, that would work great for me - FN00 !!

On 3/25/15 1:25 PM, Joseph Miller kj8o.ham@... [070] wrote:
> FWIW, I like it... The Feld Hell Club (hellschreiber operating mode) has
> an award where you get point​s for the Grid Locator Number. The "00's"
> are scored as 100 points. If one digital club uses it, why can't another?
>
> 73 de Joe KJ8O PODXS 1244, FH 2912
>

> On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 1:14 PM, Jerry n9avy@...
> [070] <070@...
> > wrote:
>
> __
>
> Here another suggestion that everyone will hate:
>
> How about one where the grid number is the number of points you
> receive for each contact ? I'm in EN52 and you should get 52
> points for working me. Use s/p/c's as multipliers as everyone ends
> up with a pile of points !
>
> Jerry N9AVY
>

> --
> It's important to think. It's what separates us from lentils. Jack Lucas

--

Drew from Zhrodague
post-apocalyptic ad-hoc industrialist
drew@...

Martin Tuip

I think you should get bonus points for being able to type out the first 25 digits of the pi number without using a macro in a QSO

My 2cts

Martin
KG7HAX

Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 10:49 AM
To: 070@...

Does this "level the playing field" ?

Actually, I really don't think there is any such thing as a "level playing field" in ham radio because there are just too many variables in equipment, antennas and propagation. The only way that the playing fields could be leveled is if everyone was at the same station location.

Jerry  n9avy

Hm, that would work great for me - FN00 !!

On 3/25/15 1:25 PM, Joseph Miller kj8o.ham@... [070] wrote:
> FWIW, I like it... The Feld Hell Club (hellschreiber operating mode) has
> an award where you get point​s for the Grid Locator Number. The "00's"
> are scored as 100 points. If one digital club uses it, why can't another?
>
> 73 de Joe KJ8O PODXS 1244, FH 2912
>

> On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 1:14 PM, Jerry n9avy@...
> [070] <070@...
> > wrote:
>
> __
>
> Here another suggestion that everyone will hate:
>
> How about one where the grid number is the number of points you
> receive for each contact ? I'm in EN52 and you should get 52
> points for working me. Use s/p/c's as multipliers as everyone ends
> up with a pile of points !
>
> Jerry N9AVY
>

> --
> It's important to think. It's what separates us from lentils. Jack Lucas

--

Drew from Zhrodague
post-apocalyptic ad-hoc industrialist
drew@...

Joseph Miller <kj8o.ham@...>

The only "level playing field" that I am aware of is WRTC Championships every four years.

73 de Joe KJ8O

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 1:49 PM, Jerry n9avy@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

Does this "level the playing field" ?

Actually, I really don't think there is any such thing as a "level playing field" in ham radio because there are just too many variables in equipment, antennas and propagation. The only way that the playing fields could be leveled is if everyone was at the same station location.

Jerry  n9avy

Hm, that would work great for me - FN00 !!

On 3/25/15 1:25 PM, Joseph Miller kj8o.ham@... [070] wrote:
> FWIW, I like it... The Feld Hell Club (hellschreiber operating mode) has
> an award where you get point​s for the Grid Locator Number. The "00's"
> are scored as 100 points. If one digital club uses it, why can't another?
>
> 73 de Joe KJ8O PODXS 1244, FH 2912
>

> On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 1:14 PM, Jerry n9avy@...
> n9avy@...> [070] <070@...
> 070@...>> wrote:
>
> __
>
> Here another suggestion that everyone will hate:
>
> How about one where the grid number is the number of points you
> receive for each contact ? I'm in EN52 and you should get 52
> points for working me. Use s/p/c's as multipliers as everyone ends
> up with a pile of points !
>
> Jerry N9AVY
>

> --
> It's important to think. It's what separates us from lentils. Jack Lucas

--

Drew from Zhrodague
post-apocalyptic ad-hoc industrialist
drew@...

--
It's important to think. It's what separates us from lentils.    Jack Lucas

Jerry N9AVY

I'm not sure if that's a level playing field.

Hm, that would work great for me - FN00 !!

On 3/25/15 1:25 PM, Joseph Miller kj8o.ham@... [070] wrote:
> FWIW, I like it... The Feld Hell Club (hellschreiber operating mode) has
> an award where you get point​s for the Grid Locator Number. The "00's"
> are scored as 100 points. If one digital club uses it, why can't another?
>
> 73 de Joe KJ8O PODXS 1244, FH 2912
>

> On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 1:14 PM, Jerry n9avy@...
> n9avy@...> [070] <070@...
> 070@...>> wrote:
>
> __
>
> Here another suggestion that everyone will hate:
>
> How about one where the grid number is the number of points you
> receive for each contact ? I'm in EN52 and you should get 52
> points for working me. Use s/p/c's as multipliers as everyone ends
> up with a pile of points !
>
> Jerry N9AVY
>

> --
> It's important to think. It's what separates us from lentils. Jack Lucas

--

Drew from Zhrodague
post-apocalyptic ad-hoc industrialist
drew@...

--
It's important to think. It's what separates us from lentils.    Jack Lucas

Robert Johnstone

makin it tough on us in EM17? LOL Robert kd0fip 1396

Here another suggestion that everyone will hate:

How about one where the grid number is the number of points you receive for each contact ?   I'm in EN52   and you should get 52 points for working me.  Use s/p/c's as multipliers as everyone ends up with a pile of points !

Jerry  N9AVY

Jerry N9AVY

It's all the other grids you work that count.  :-)

makin it tough on us in EM17? LOL Robert kd0fip 1396

Here another suggestion that everyone will hate:

How about one where the grid number is the number of points you receive for each contact ?   I'm in EN52   and you should get 52 points for working me.  Use s/p/c's as multipliers as everyone ends up with a pile of points !

Jerry  N9AVY

ljl2002@att.net

Martin,
If you can do that then by all means accept all the bonus points!
I guess it really paid off to stay awake in math class, huh?
See ya.
73
Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 10:49 AM
To: 070@...

Does this "level the playing field" ?

Actually, I really don't think there is any such thing as a "level playing field" in ham radio because there are just too many variables in equipment, antennas and propagation. The only way that the playing fields could be leveled is if everyone was at the same station location.

Jerry  n9avy

Hm, that would work great for me - FN00 !!

On 3/25/15 1:25 PM, Joseph Miller kj8o.ham@... [070] wrote:
> FWIW, I like it... The Feld Hell Club (hellschreiber operating mode) has
> an award where you get point​s for the Grid Locator Number. The "00's"
> are scored as 100 points. If one digital club uses it, why can't another?
>
> 73 de Joe KJ8O PODXS 1244, FH 2912
>

> On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 1:14 PM, Jerry n9avy@...
> [070] <070@...
> > wrote:
>
> __
>
> Here another suggestion that everyone will hate:
>
> How about one where the grid number is the number of points you
> receive for each contact ? I'm in EN52 and you should get 52
> points for working me. Use s/p/c's as multipliers as everyone ends
> up with a pile of points !
>
> Jerry N9AVY
>

> --
> It's important to think. It's what separates us from lentils. Jack Lucas

--

Drew from Zhrodague
post-apocalyptic ad-hoc industrialist
drew@...

David, K9DWR

* 'Martin Tuip' ajax@... [070] <070@...> [2015-03-25 11:09]:
I think you should get bonus points for being able to type out the
first 25 digits of the pi number without using a macro in a QSO
I'd like to thank the Night at the Museum franchise for making my
daughter aware of 8 places. Certainly more than most know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3DXVVSRYdE

3.14159265 :-)

--
David, K9DWR
#1604 LONP #255
david@...

Robert Johnstone

Probably slept through significant decimal places.  Since the old HP41 rounded at a much lower point; NASA got us to the moon with less precision, as do most of the commercial spreadsheets and CAD/ Finite Element Analysis Programs.  In fact many round at 12places Oh by the way, but an interesting concept to ponder. Robert KD0FIP

Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 10:49 AM
To: 070@...

Does this "level the playing field" ?

Actually, I really don't think there is any such thing as a "level playing field" in ham radio because there are just too many variables in equipment, antennas and propagation. The only way that the playing fields could be leveled is if everyone was at the same station location.

Jerry  n9avy

Hm, that would work great for me - FN00 !!

On 3/25/15 1:25 PM, Joseph Miller kj8o.ham@... [070] wrote:
> FWIW, I like it... The Feld Hell Club (hellschreiber operating mode) has
> an award where you get point​s for the Grid Locator Number. The "00's"
> are scored as 100 points. If one digital club uses it, why can't another?
>
> 73 de Joe KJ8O PODXS 1244, FH 2912
>

> On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 1:14 PM, Jerry n9avy@...
> [070] <070@...
> > wrote:
>
> __
>
> Here another suggestion that everyone will hate:
>
> How about one where the grid number is the number of points you
> receive for each contact ? I'm in EN52 and you should get 52
> points for working me. Use s/p/c's as multipliers as everyone ends
> up with a pile of points !
>
> Jerry N9AVY
>

> --
> It's important to think. It's what separates us from lentils. Jack Lucas

--

Drew from Zhrodague
post-apocalyptic ad-hoc industrialist
drew@...

Joseph Miller <kj8o.ham@...>

​I think what he means is the guys like me in EN82 will generate pileups, but there will be little interest in the low numbered squares.

Robert is welcome to work the contest from my house, if the CEO, er XYL approves it.

73 de JM

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 4:43 PM, Jerry n9avy@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

It's all the other grids you work that count.  :-)

makin it tough on us in EM17? LOL Robert kd0fip 1396

Martin Tuip

I hear ya from CN87 on the pileup  ...

#1604 LONP #255
david@...

Robert Johnstone

first to 1 million wins?LOL my KS DL # starts with K00 since K would be 11th letter that would be 1100 points just off the first 3 of 9.
Robert KD0FIP 1396

Drivers License # =Total of Grids worked  x  Total number of S/P/C x DL # + street address = total points multiplied by 070 # = total score.

How that ?   :-)

Jerry  N9AVY

Sorry, I got so excited I hit the send button to soon.  070 -#1602

Rick - N7WE

Robert Johnstone

Well stated. But I still would do the contest because the "tests" are always fun. kd0fip Robert 1396