Contest Exchange Question

Bill Garwood

Hi Y'all,

Sometime back, there was some discussion about the exchange sent in the 070 contests.

(Name, S/P/C and 070 number.)

Bill NC 1688 Bill NC 1688 qsl?

or

Bill Bill NC NC 1688 1688 qsl?

or just

Bill NC 1688 qsl?

Which is preferred and why?

See you in the contest.

Happy Radio!

Bill N4GBK

Ryan N9SOX <m1a1fan@...>

Hi Bill,

I'm looking forward to the contest as well.

My exchange will be:

Ryan Ryan IL IL 1939 1939

I'd be interested in hearing more if there is a preferred way to send the exchange.

Ryan / N9SOX

Sometime back, there was some discussion about the exchange sent in the 070 contests.

(Name, S/P/C and 070 number.)

Bill NC 1688 Bill NC 1688 qsl?

or

Bill Bill NC NC 1688 1688 qsl?

or just

Bill NC 1688 qsl?

Which is preferred and why?

See you in the contest.

Happy Radio!

Bill N4GBK

Matthew King <mrk.twg@...>

Bill - I'll defer to more seasoned contesters for a "correct" answer, but here's my WAG:

All are "satisfactory" but the last one is preferred for brevity's sake.

I'm curious to see the other answers to see if my guess is right!

See ya in the contest...

73

Matt King

KK4CPS

070 #1708 LONP #261

PODXS 070 Club Director

On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 10:54 AM, Bill Garwood n4gbk@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

Hi Y'all,

Sometime back, there was some discussion about the exchange sent in the 070 contests.

(Name, S/P/C and 070 number.)

Bill NC 1688 Bill NC 1688 qsl?

or

Bill Bill NC NC 1688 1688 qsl?

or just

Bill NC 1688 qsl?

Which is preferred and why?

See you in the contest.

Happy Radio!

Bill N4GBK

Bill,

I think they would all work.

Personally, I send out: “Milt  650  Ca  –  Milt  650  Ca  k”

I don’t ask “ok?” or “qsl?”. If they need a fill, they can ask for it.

Why this exchange? Because I’m in the ‘contest mode’ right now, and the voices in my head are telling me what to do.

73 es see you tonight,

Milt 650 Ca.

Sometime back, there was some discussion about the exchange sent in the 070 contests.

(Name, S/P/C and 070 number.)

Bill NC 1688 Bill NC 1688 qsl?

or

Bill Bill NC NC 1688 1688 qsl?

or just

Bill NC 1688 qsl?

Which is preferred and why?

See you in the contest.

Happy Radio!

Bill N4GBK

John Bower <poppajohnbower@...>

I personally prefer the send of the three - give you a better chance of getting the 070 number correct in the log in this contest.
Hope to see you later
John KE4JB

On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 11:59 AM, Matthew King mrk.twg@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike Miller <lists@...>

Hi Bill,

I guess I prefer the first. It is easy to get into the "exchange
in" field of my log, the repeat acts as a check when print isn't
100% and it is easy to send with <xout> <xout> in my macro.

I will look at cleaning up my macros before the test, I know
they have more than needed and need work. As a casual
participant, I haven't focused on the Q rate, but I don't send
the weather report and my personal history either.

73
Mike kc9doa #1040

On 14 Mar 2015 at 14:54, Bill Garwood n4gbk@outlook.com [070]
wrote:

Hi Y'all,

Sometime back, there was some discussion about the exchange
sent in the 070 contests.

(Name, S/P/C and 070 number.)

Bill NC 1688 Bill NC 1688 qsl?

or

Bill Bill NC NC 1688 1688 qsl?

or just

Bill NC 1688 qsl?

Which is preferred and why?

See you in the contest.

Happy Radio!

Bill N4GBK

Ray Clements

I prefer Milt's exchange method “Milt  650  Ca  –  Milt  650  Ca  k” and this is why:

If you only send the exchange information once "Milt  650  Ca", there is a high probability of QRM or QSB messing up at least one character of the exchange. If you only send once, the recipient never knows whether the info is correct or not. If you send a second copy of the exchange info and it does not match the first, the recipient knows there is a problem and can request "AGN".

In those contests where the RST (usually 559) is sent as part of the exchange, I only send the 599 part once as most folks in contests assume 599, even if it comes across as 59?, 5?9, or ?99. Thus, sending it twice is not needed.

Furthermore, I like to cut and paste the received exchange to received exchange field.
If you send it the way Milt sends it, I only have to copy "Milt  650  Ca" and then paste.

If he had sent "Milt Milt 650 650 Ca Ca k" as the exchange, I would either have to cut and paste the entire exchange, or type "Milt 650 Ca" by hand.

BTW, since I live in Illinois, I normally send "IL" as the state since "Il" is difficulty to read. Although the lower case "l" takes a fraction of a second less time to send than an "L", upper case is more user-friendly for the recipient.

Just a reminder to everyone, these 070 club contests are a great way to make contacts towards LONP.

Also, if someone who is not a 070 member responds to your CQ, please take the time to invite them to join the club.
The contact won't count towards your contest score and you will lose a little contesting time, but it might encourage someone to become a member of the club.
The reason I am now a part of 070 is that a wonderful club member took time out of a contest to explain the club to me. That was one of the best QSOs I ever made.

Ray  1793 IL
LONP 291

From: 070@...
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2015 11:58:30 -0700

Then, of course there’s always the “73 es gl de n6mg”.

It can go from just that to:

\\\\\\\

[   o)(o >

0      _>

 \,__,]    Bye Bye

  [73]   de n6mg sk

qrz 070  qrz 070  de  n6mg  n6mg  k

Seriously, the absolute best tutor for finding out what’s fastest and easiest for you, is to watch other folks and their macro’s.

Watch the flow and the rhythm. Find out what you like and can do the easiest.

The last few days I’ve been tuning the high bands throughout the early morning, all day and in the evenings. Looking at traces and where they’re from. That’s just to get a feel for what band to be on and at what time.

Newer folks: Don’t be afraid to try 40 & 75 meters at night! Lots of points and multipliers there. (My definition of 40 meters is 7.070 MHz)

See every one of you on the bands!

It’s pre-contest siesta time here in So. California.

Milt  650   Ca

(;-)

       "

[...]

boat.anchor@...

David

Will the ADIF file RXexchange need to have all three elements in it or just the number as
name and SPC are already elsewhere in the entry.?

Personally my prference is Barry-BC-1470 Barry-BC-1470
This allows most software to right click es copy to Rx exch field.
Without the dashes it is a tedious process to copy it all
eg: highlight, right click copy, move to correct field, right click paste
or just right click the number and fill in other data afterwards.

Maybe I will change my name for the contest. The the checker do a cross match?

Having fun
Barry
VA7GEM/1470

---In 070@..., <dwestbrook@...> wrote :

I prefer the first  "Bill NC 1688 Bill NC 1688 qsl?"  for two main reasons:

A)  you can garble any one section of that (say 6 chars for an example), and there's still one of each piece ("Bill", "NC", "1688") intact.
    "Bill NC 16!@#$#@%C 1688 qsl?"   Still good.
But with "Bill Bill  NC NC 1688 1688", garbling any part is likely to take out an entire piece.  "Bill Bil!@#$@#$88 1688"  oops, need repeat.

B) I set "David NY 1041" as the exchange string in Winwarbler,  and my macros is:
       "<start> <callsign> <RSTsent> <tx_serial_number> <tx_serial_number> <mycall? <stop?

[...]

It’s just about “game face” time here. There too I think. Hi Hi

One comment about “Name”:

Don’t assume that you know someone’s name. Like the “5-5” instead of “5-9”.

When I use my club call, W6QP, I don’t use the name my Momma gave me 69 years ago. (Sorry about that Mom!)

Instead I use the childhood nic I carried until I was 13 years old. At that time, my Pop changed my nic to “Bubba”.

I was Bubba until I started college and pledged a fraternity. There were already 2 Bubba’s, in Sigma Alpha Mu at LSU, so I went to Milton.

After all, it sure made my Grandfather happy. That was his Pop’s name. Dr Milton Angel was a surgeon for the Confederacy during the civil war.

And all this time, you thought I was just a pretty face!  Hi Hi

de

W6QP - Red – 1454 – Ca

I prefer the first  "Bill NC 1688 Bill NC 1688 qsl?"  for two main reasons:

A)  you can garble any one section of that (say 6 chars for an example), and there's still one of each piece ("Bill", "NC", "1688") intact.

    "Bill NC 16!@#$#@%C 1688 qsl?"   Still good.

But with "Bill Bill  NC NC 1688 1688", garbling any part is likely to take out an entire piece.  "Bill Bil!@#$@#$88 1688"  oops, need repeat.

B) I set "David NY 1041" as the exchange string in Winwarbler,  and my macros is:

       " <tx_serial_number>

[...]

Red
Are you running two calls tonight or just the one?
10 es 15 have just about dried up here so will probably open on 20M
Just a reminder to all that there is a contest reflector for our chatter
so the non participants dont have to page thru all the important stuff.
Will switch over there now.
Barry/1470 aka ???

---In 070@..., <n6mg@...> wrote :

It’s just about “game face” time here. There too I think. Hi Hi

One comment about “Name”:

Don’t assume that you know someone’s name. Like the “5-5” instead of “5-9”.

When I use my club call, W6QP, I don’t use the name my Momma gave me 69 years ago. (Sorry about that Mom!)

Instead I use the childhood nic I carried until I was 13 years old. At that time, my Pop changed my nic to “Bubba”.

I was Bubba until I started college and pledged a fraternity. There were already 2 Bubba’s, in Sigma Alpha Mu at LSU, so I went to Milton.

After all, it sure made my Grandfather happy. That was his Pop’s name. Dr Milton Angel was a surgeon for the Confederacy during the civil war.

And all this time, you thought I was just a pretty face!  Hi Hi

de

W6QP - Red – 1454 – Ca

JEFF WALSH

  N9AVY ....Floyd....???

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU
BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS.

---In 070@..., wrote :

It’s just about “game face” time here. There too I think. Hi Hi
One comment about “Name”:
Don’t assume that you know someone’s name. Like the “5-5” instead of “5-9”.
When I use my club call, W6QP, I don’t use the name my Momma gave me 69 years ago. (Sorry about that Mom!)
Instead I use the childhood nic I carried until I was 13 years old. At that time, my Pop changed my nic to “Bubba”.
I was Bubba until I started college and pledged a fraternity. There were already 2 Bubba’s, in Sigma Alpha Mu at LSU, so I went to Milton.
After all, it sure made my Grandfather happy. That was his Pop’s name. Dr Milton Angel was a surgeon for the Confederacy during the civil war.
And all this time, you thought I was just a pretty face!  Hi Hi
de
W6QP - Red – 1454 – Ca

ljl2002@att.net

Being as I am QRP and I don't have any control over the ionosphere, I usually always send info twice.

WB4MNK DE KA1PPV  QSL TU
Joe  CT  1482
Joe  CT 1482
GL QSL? DE KA1PPV KN
All loaded in macro.
That way if it's not a great connection the info will probably go through the first time around saving time on both ends.
I forgot which day it was until I turned on the radio so Tnx to Dave, KR4U, for the exch info!  Next time I'll be paying attention ahead of time.
Looking forward to the next one.

73
Joe
KA1PPV  #1482