North Carolina QSO Party on Sunday

Jim Howard

Please join in on the fun!

The NCQP will be held from 10AM-8PM EST on Sunday, March 1st. This is the second year that digital modes have been included and we are hoping for a lot more participation this year.

Out-of-state stations look for NC stations calling CQ and respond with your state/province/country after the NC station gives theirs. Try to get all 100 counties!

Those in-state stations try to work everyone giving their county instead of S/P/C. Shoot for all the NC counties plus all the states & provinces.

Signal reports are optional. There are also bonus stations for everyone. (see rules)

Further information at http://www.rars.org/ncqsoparty/

I look forward to seeing you there. I plan to work the entire time, primarily on 20/40m but try 6/10/15/80 too if open.

73,

Jim, W4SDJ
Cherokee County, NC
PODXS #1603

boat.anchor@...

Well I finally have six contacts/counties in the log and still looking.
Barry
VA7GEM

---In 070@..., <howardje@...> wrote :

[...]

Dan Morris - KZ3T

Thanks for the contact Barry --

Dan Morris   KZ3T   070-1065

---In 070@..., wrote :

[...]

Dan
My pleasure. Have 3 on 15 and 3 on 20. Cruising 10 rite now looking for another hat trick
Barry

---In 070@..., <dbmorris315@...> wrote :

Thanks for the contact Barry --

Dan Morris   KZ3T   070-1065

On Mar 1, 2015, at 4:19 PM, boat.anchor@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

Well I finally have six contacts/counties in the log and still looking.

Barry
VA7GEM

Bill Garwood

I'm on 15 meters now.. had 0 success on 10..

Bill N4GBK

To: 070@...
From: 070@...
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2015 13:27:50 -0800
Subject: Re: [070] North Carolina QSO Party on Sunday

---In 070@..., wrote :

Thanks for the contact Barry --

Dan Morris   KZ3T   070-1065

On Mar 1, 2015, at 4:19 PM, boat.anchor@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

Well I finally have six contacts/counties in the log and still looking.

Barry
VA7GEM

Martin Tuip

Give me a few minutes to wrap up my current QSO and I’ll get back to you on 15

Sent: Sunday, March 01, 2015 1:33 PM
To: 070@...

To: 070@...
From: 070@...
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2015 13:27:50 -0800

---In 070@..., wrote :

Thanks for the contact Barry --

Dan Morris   KZ3T   070-1065

On Mar 1, 2015, at 4:19 PM, boat.anchor@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

Well I finally have six contacts/counties in the log and still looking.

Barry
VA7GEM

wa3gm

I am at 15 calling CQ

I answered you a couple times battery but I guess you can't hear me

Greg
Wa3gm

Sent using CloudMagic

---In 070@..., wrote :

[...]

Nice to catch you on 20 Bill
GL
Barry
VA7GEM

To: 070@...
From: 070@...
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2015 13:27:50 -0800

---In 070@..., <dbmorris315@...> wrote :

Thanks for the contact Barry --

Dan Morris   KZ3T   070-1065

On Mar 1, 2015, at 4:19 PM, boat.anchor@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

Well I finally have six contacts/counties in the log and still looking.

Barry
VA7GEM

John Etling

I gave up early this AM after a Horrible experience with an NC op on RTTY. Evidently did not like what I sent or how I sent and literally called me hard about my inability to use electronic equipment. And that was a VERY nice way to say what they told me.

True, I am still trying to figure out what I am doing on RTTY and probably made some mistakes, most likely did, yet to have some total jerk operator slam me like they did turned me totally off trying to do “my part” in their attempts. Nice thing though is they never did get my state and to hell with them.

Anyone with good RTTY experience who would be willing to elmer me in how to TX “properly” I would seriously love some pointers. Email me direct at k3jae @ arrl.net

73 de K3JAE

John

Don't feel bad John.  I too played a little bit in the NCQP.  While I hesitate to speak poorly about my fellow hams, there definitely were some PBB (people behaving badly) on the bands.  Like stations calling CQ right on top of the CQing contest station and then working the contest station when they CQed again!  People running so much power they were splattering and blanking two or three nearby stations.  Saw a PSK31 station (not in NC) say he was running 300W off his beam at 100 feet.  Also saw someone open up with PSK63 right on top of other strong PSK31 stations.  It is common to experience these types of things in other modes during big contests, but I generally haven't seen it on digital during state QSO parties.

I too am just starting to play with RTTY after being licensed for 35 years.  So I can't offer any guidance but to say just turn the big knob.  It is the only way to deal with PBB's.  You can't fix them - they don't want to be better!  On the positive side...you had the RX set up right or you'd never have printed his garbage dump on you!

This reminds me of an old story by Tennessee Ernie Ford in which he tells of harassing an old mule on his grandmother's farm.  In a nutshell ... she told him he would pay for his actions by having a jackass follow him around for the rest of his life.  He used that story on hecklers.

This seems to hold true in ham radio.  Just chalk it up to experience and move on .

I gave up with all the overpowered, wide signals and rude people and went places I don't normally go where the bands are less crowded.

Jerry  N9AVY

I gave up early this AM after a Horrible experience with an NC op on RTTY. Evidently did not like what I sent or how I sent and literally called me hard about my inability to use electronic equipment. And that was a VERY nice way to say what they told me.

True, I am still trying to figure out what I am doing on RTTY and probably made some mistakes, most likely did, yet to have some total jerk operator slam me like they did turned me totally off trying to do “my part” in their attempts. Nice thing though is they never did get my state and to hell with them.

Anyone with good RTTY experience who would be willing to elmer me in how to TX “properly” I would seriously love some pointers. Email me direct at k3jae @ arrl.net

73 de K3JAE
John

MARTY W9OV <w9ov@...>

Pay it no mind John.  LIDs abound.

Marty W9OV

I gave up early this AM after a Horrible experience with an NC op on RTTY. Evidently did not like what I sent or how I sent and literally called me hard about my inability to use electronic equipment. And that was a VERY nice way to say what they told me.

True, I am still trying to figure out what I am doing on RTTY and probably made some mistakes, most likely did, yet to have some total jerk operator slam me like they did turned me totally off trying to do “my part” in their attempts. Nice thing though is they never did get my state and to hell with them.

Anyone with good RTTY experience who would be willing to elmer me in how to TX “properly” I would seriously love some pointers. Email me direct at k3jae @ arrl.net

73 de K3JAE
John

boat.anchor@...

Rick es John
If I say this one was in Lee's Summit I could bet the bank.
Had HIM proudly proclaim he was running a modest 500W off the 100 ft beam last week.
Asked him if he ever heard of low power modes then switched bands before he could fry me.
Hang in there
We can always find good ops to have fun with.
I use the extremely narrow filter to drop them from the waterfall
regards
Barry

---In 070@..., <n7we1980@...> wrote :

[...]

Rick - N7WE

David Westbrook

Will reply here, because a lot can apply to PSK contests, too ..    But feel free to email me directly w/rtty-specific topics ... Also the digitalradio  yahoo group, or the rtty reflector are additional resources.

((adding this note after composing the rest -- wrote more than i thought, hi.  I think i've posted these various pieces in past discussions, too ... there's a lot in here, and several of the items can be entire discussions by themselves))
========

Contest exchange sequences will be very succinct ...  definitely different than PSK  -- e.g. you won't see [very often] "K3JAE DE KJ4IZW KJ4IZW PSE K" ...  only "KJ4IZW" 1x or 2x.
Here's an example of a CQ'er calling CQ, and working two stations in a row.

CQ CQ KJ4IZW KJ4IZW TEST
   K3JAE K3JAE
K3JAE 599 NY K3JAE
  KJ4IZW 599 TN K3JAE
TU K3JAE KJ4IZW CQ
  KK4CPS KK4CPS
KK4CPS 599 NY KK4CPS
  KJ4IZW 599 GA KK4CPS
TU KK4CPS KJ4IZW CQ

Nothing extra ... and especially on rtty, the pace & cadence is important ... Find a strong, busy run station and listen for a bit and you'll get the feel of it.
You'll see more causal macros in PSK contests, but the above work well, too (i use my RTTY macros for PSK contests).

I have a tool here that compares the speed of various macros, for both RTTY and PSK:
   http://dwestbrook.net/projects/ham/rtty-length/

A few contest tips ...

* "CQ TEST"   --  the "TEST" mean "conTEST",  not "TESTing".      No one tells new hams that!  I know i'm not the only one that was initially confused by that.

* NEVER  (yes, never -- there's few absolutes vs preferences, but this is one)  give your exchange when answering a "CQ" -- just callsign until the CQ'er acknowledges you.  It messes up the sequence and is QRM if another search-and-pounce stations is trying to answer the CQ'er at same time.

* If QSO partner doesn't give expected reply for next in the sequence,  just repeat your last.  And keep doing that until QSO continues.  Repeating a step explicitly says that his last either wasn't correct or wasn't copied; and going to your next sequence implicitly acknowledges his last.
CQ CQ KJ4IZW KJ4IZW TEST
   K3JAE K3JAE
K3JA 599 NY K3JA
   K3JAE K3JAE
K3JE 599 NY K3JE
   K3JAE K3JAE
K3JAE 599 NY K3JAE
  KJ4IZW 599 TN K3JAE
TU K3JAE KJ4IZW CQ
As a search/pouncer,  you only need two macros:   your call (1x or 2x),  and a  "HISCALL 599 EXCHANGE MYCALL"
As a search/pouncer, do NOT give your exchange until CQ'er has your call correctly.  Once you give exchange, he'll say "TU" and move to next caller, and you can't correct it at that point.

* If you can't seem to get through to a CQ'er you need (for mult, or WAS or DXCC or whatever), just come back in 5 min -- the pileups and QRM (on your end and his) change quickly.

* For RTTY ...  Be aware that the numbers 1234567890  and the first line of letters on the keyboard  qwertyuiop  are encoded the same in RTTY, with the difference being a "shift" character sent before the word ...  so if that shift char gets garbled,   then  "K4JAE 599 1782 1782 K3JAE" will decode as "K3JAE TOO QUIW QUIW K3JAE" ... Advanced tip is to recognize that -- you have the "decoder ring" under your fingertips :) -- and manually (as opposed to dbl-click) log it.

* Keep in mind lots of reasons to work contest Q's ...   the contest itself,  or WAS/DXCC/grid/county/whatever ...  doesn't have to be competition or fast rate..  The density of stations to work is a great opportunity.  ===>> HAVE FUN!!
   You'll find a lot of good ops out there too ... CQ'er's that will be patient and pull you out -- i think i find more of those than the ones that give up right away and move to someone else.
It's nice/encouraged to submit your log to the contest, even if you only work a couple Q's ... but is not necessary.

73!
--david
KJ4IZW

On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 7:58 PM, 'John Etling' john@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

I gave up early this AM after a Horrible experience with an NC op on RTTY. Evidently did not like what I sent or how I sent and literally called me hard about my inability to use electronic equipment. And that was a VERY nice way to say what they told me.

True, I am still trying to figure out what I am doing on RTTY and probably made some mistakes, most likely did, yet to have some total jerk operator slam me like they did turned me totally off trying to do “my part” in their attempts. Nice thing though is they never did get my state and to hell with them.

Anyone with good RTTY experience who would be willing to elmer me in how to TX “properly” I would seriously love some pointers. Email me direct at k3jae @ arrl.net

73 de K3JAE

John

Dan Morris - KZ3T

Yes, I run across this one signal that was so wide I actually had to change bands!!  Not much of a problem since I was band hopping anyway between 10 - 40 meters depending on the activity.  I did have a good time though.  First time I’ve been in any type of State QSO Party.  Very interesting and enjoyed it very much.

Dan Morris   KZ3T

On Mar 1, 2015, at 9:04 PM, Jerry n9avy@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

[...]

John,

I'm very sorry you had the extremely poor experience with the RTTY operator from NC. Very few of our digital operators are like that I assure you. The vast majority of digital operations on the NCQP are PSK31 and are very laid back much like the PODXS 070 contests but on a much smaller scale. This is only the second year of we have had digital entries in the party and there are few entries. I won the last year's single-op/in-state/digital but there were only five entries. Out-of-state digital only had three entries. I was hoping by posting in the group here to get more interest in the digital modes created in North Carolina. Of course more stations were participating but didn't submit logs.

It is extremely unfortunate but there is a huge North American RTTY QSO Party on the same weekend which I believe starts on Saturday and runs 48 hrs. Our NCQP is really a sprint that starts at 10AM EST on Sunday morning and runs until 8PM that evening. The operator you describe doesn't sound like the typical PSKer at all but a died-in-the-wool long-time RTTY contester. I'd be willing to bet he was part of the big RTTY party.

Please don't think ill of the North Carolina QSO Party. Next year wait until 10AM on  Sunday and get on PSK31 to enjoy the NCQP and skip the North Americian QSO Party RTTY. Your rear end will thank you (less hours in the chair) and you're most likely avoid the pain-in-the-rear operators too. Good luck with your digital ventures!

PS Before anyone get after me for downplaying RTTY. I do enjoy RTTY contesting and enter a dozen or more each year. I just do enough of the contest to have fun. Usually a hundred or two QSOs. I will never win one with my little pistol station and limited hours. I very much enjoy the atmosphere and excitement of it all. But, I much prefer the PODXS 070 contests... and I have actually won a few of those too in the low power category!

73,

Jim Howard, W4SDJ
Murphy, NC

---In 070@..., <john@...> wrote :

I gave up early this AM after a Horrible experience with an NC op on RTTY. Evidently did not like what I sent or how I sent and literally called me hard about my inability to use electronic equipment. And that was a VERY nice way to say what they told me.

John ..  There is really no need to apologize for one or two operators in your area.  The sad fact is that there will always be a few "stinkers" in the hobby.  My Elmer once told me that ham radio is a microcosm of society and that we will from time to time run across a few who behave badly.  When it happens, as Riley used to say, "just spin the dial".

Jerry N9AVY

---In 070@..., wrote :

I gave up early this AM after a Horrible experience with an NC op on RTTY. Evidently did not like what I sent or how I sent and literally called me hard about my inability to use electronic equipment. And that was a VERY nice way to say what they told me.

John Etling

All;

Appreciate the apologies etc. for my rant yesterday. I hope I did not insinuate that all NC ops are bad eggs as that would be truly unfair and was not my intention.

I tried working an NC op on RTTY, got my face caved in by them and decided enough of the RTTY learning since it became obvious I had done something not to the liking of the offending op and have no clue what that was.

All I was aiming for was to try and make my 1st RTTY contact. Evidently I am doing wrong and will continue to read and watch the RTTY waterfall to better interpret how to properly how to carry on a proper QSO.

73 de K3JAE

John Etling

---In 070@..., wrote :

I gave up early this AM after a Horrible experience with an NC op on RTTY. Evidently did not like what I sent or how I sent and literally called me hard about my inability to use electronic equipment. And that was a VERY nice way to say what they told me.

Error! Filename not specified.

Martin Tuip

I tried to join the contest as well but after 1 QSO I gave up as it was too much effort.

Martni

---In 070@..., wrote :

I gave up early this AM after a Horrible experience with an NC op on RTTY. Evidently did not like what I sent or how I sent and literally called me hard about my inability to use electronic equipment. And that was a VERY nice way to say what they told me.

Error! Filename not specified.

JEFF WALSH

I was into RTTY in the early 90s with the PK 232MBX ....I can say I was lucky and never met a nasty ham ....been so long now I don't remember the protocol but I do remember the mode was good at covering up my poor spelling and typing as it wasn't sent error free and I could blame my mistakes on band conditions ... hi hi  .... still have the PK 232MBX packed away .....I doubt it will ever see the light of day here again  .... don't let one rotten apple spoil the barrel ....

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU
BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS