T19/3Z9DX on 20m

Radio <radio@...>

HI John,

I just worked Jorge here on the west coast.  Full call is TI9/3Z9DX

73 de Eric, KG6MZS

On Feb 17, 2015, at 6:09 PM, John Bower poppajohnbower@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

T19/3Z9 is on 20m PSK31 about mid band - good signal into NY
John KE4JB

John Bower <poppajohnbower@...>

Thanks I figured it out by watching and corrected my log.
appreciate your heads up.
John KE4JB

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 9:18 PM, Radio radio@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

HI John,

I just worked Jorge here on the west coast.  Full call is TI9/3Z9DX

73 de Eric, KG6MZS

On Feb 17, 2015, at 6:09 PM, John Bower poppajohnbower@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

T19/3Z9 is on 20m PSK31 about mid band - good signal into NY
John KE4JB

Radio <radio@...>

Quite the ugly pile-up there now.

Thanks for the heads up!

Eric

On Feb 17, 2015, at 6:23 PM, John Bower poppajohnbower@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

Thanks I figured it out by watching and corrected my log.
appreciate your heads up.
John KE4JB

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 9:18 PM, Radio radio@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

HI John,

I just worked Jorge here on the west coast.  Full call is TI9/3Z9DX

73 de Eric, KG6MZS

On Feb 17, 2015, at 6:09 PM, John Bower poppajohnbower@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

T19/3Z9 is on 20m PSK31 about mid band - good signal into NY
John KE4JB

Bill Garwood

It was nice to see a DXpedition operate with PSK31 but the op did not have control of the frequency so I expect the QSO rate was not very good.  Stations were sending him long macros, needed to work split etc.

Similar to what we saw last year with the W1AW portables, a lot of PSK operators do not know how to make a quick 599 TU 73 qso.

Those of you who worked him got what is surely a rare one on PSK31.  Congratulations!  Maybe he will be back this evening?

http://www.nielsen.net/ti9a/

Happy Radio!

Bill N4GBK

To: 070@...
From: 070@...
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 18:25:34 -0800
Subject: Re: [070] T19/3Z9DX on 20m

Quite the ugly pile-up there now.

Thanks for the heads up!

Eric

On Feb 17, 2015, at 6:23 PM, John Bower poppajohnbower@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

Thanks I figured it out by watching and corrected my log.
appreciate your heads up.
John KE4JB

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 9:18 PM, Radio radio@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

HI John,

I just worked Jorge here on the west coast.  Full call is TI9/3Z9DX

73 de Eric, KG6MZS

On Feb 17, 2015, at 6:09 PM, John Bower poppajohnbower@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

T19/3Z9 is on 20m PSK31 about mid band - good signal into NY
John KE4JB

Martin Tuip

I saw them in the DXSpot for SSB earlier this morning so I have some hopes.  Since he wasn’t that strong on my end I doubt I’ll have a fair shot. Heck .. I got happy to finally get a QSO with Montana yesterday.

Martin
KG7HAx

From: 070@...
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 18:25:34 -0800

Quite the ugly pile-up there now.

Thanks for the heads up!

Eric

On Feb 17, 2015, at 6:23 PM, John Bower poppajohnbower@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

Thanks I figured it out by watching and corrected my log.
appreciate your heads up.
John KE4JB

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 9:18 PM, Radio radio@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

HI John,

I just worked Jorge here on the west coast.  Full call is TI9/3Z9DX

73 de Eric, KG6MZS

On Feb 17, 2015, at 6:09 PM, John Bower poppajohnbower@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

T19/3Z9 is on 20m PSK31 about mid band - good signal into NY
John KE4JB

K8TOM

<<Stations were sending him long macros, needed to work split etc.>>

That is one of my enduring mysteries with regards to amateur radio-using macros including their shoe size in DX.   I truly don't understand the negligence and/or ignorance of some OPs in handling DX contacts.  It is just about a universal phenomenon with DX PSK operations, so we see few DXpeditions that will "risk" operating PSK and greatly lowering their run rate. <shakes head>

On the other hand, I have never, personally, seen/heard a verbose CW DX exchange or even such a RTTY exchange.  (Almost) Always crisp and in rhythm.  I don't know what we can infer about the OPs population from that observation.

Tom
K8TOM

David, K9DWR

* tsingle@gmail.com [070] <070@yahoogroups.com> [2015-02-18 12:14]:

On the other hand, I have never, personally, seen/heard a verbose CW
DX exchange or even such a RTTY exchange. (Almost) Always crisp and
in rhythm. I don't know what we can infer about the OPs population
from that observation.
For starters, we can infer that new PSK operators will use macros pretty
much as-is from the software provided. How many have you seen that
provide reasonable starter macros? The default "brag" and "station"
macros, for example, do not lend themselves to brevity or a cadence.

--
David, K9DWR
#1604 LONP #255
david@graniteweb.com

Jerry N9AVY

After the fiasco of operating W1AW/9 here in Illinois last December, I concluded that 50% of PSK OPS are dumber than dirt when it comes to working special events and DX station !

They are so used to run the usual macro format that they know nothing else.  Many are just interested in getting that QSO and have no consideration for others nor the Q rate of the special event/DX station. Mostly this is a matter of education and that may be a difficult problem reaching all those stations.

Tom is absolutely right about DX stations unwilling to take the chance with ruining their Q rate (number of QSOs per hour). With all those long macros a typical QSO rate might be 12 per hour; typically in a 48 hour weekend that would be 576 QSOs. Allowing for QRM, pileups and band conditions that 576 would be a much lower figure.  For a full blown 2-week DXpedition the best they could hope for would be a little over 7700 QSOs. To a DXpedition like the recent Navassa Is. group which made well over 100,000 QSOs in 2 weeks this 7700 is a very dismal number.   This is why DXpeditions aren't willing to try PSK31 operation ! It's all about the numbers.  The will do SSB, CW and RTTY where QSOs run faster and OPs know how to get in and out quickly.

PSK31 is great for ragchewing, but I doubt that it will ever be a serious DX mode because of ops who insist on sending long macros.

The time I spent as W1AW/9 was a learning experience and I would never try again. Far too many gave me Too Much Information (TMI) , everything but their hat size !  Never reqlized afer 3 - 4 hours of long macros how annoying they are.  Many times I almost fell asleep during one of those QSOs and other times I wanted to scream at them.

Don't think this will ever be fixed.''

Jerry  N9AVY

That is one of my enduring mysteries with regards to amateur radio-using macros including their shoe size in DX.   I truly don't understand the negligence and/or ignorance of some OPs in handling DX contacts.  It is just about a universal phenomenon with DX PSK operations, so we see few DXpeditions that will "risk" operating PSK and greatly lowering their run rate.

On the other hand, I have never, personally, seen/heard a verbose CW DX exchange or even such a RTTY exchange.  (Almost) Always crisp and in rhythm.  I don't know what we can infer about the OPs population from that observation.

Tom
K8TOM

Les Alverson <kd4sfd2@...>

That is why I have several sets.� One for PODXS contests, one for FH contests, and another for general QSO's.

Les k4lea 1746 lonp 272

On 2/18/2015 15:35, David Rock david@... [070] wrote:
�

* tsingle@... [070] <070@...> [2015-02-18 12:14]:

#1604 LONP #255
david@...

Radio <radio@...>

The macro sets really make it easy.  I have DX, contest and RTTY sets to go with my general QSO set.  How hard is it to set that up?  Very east to switch between then when fishing around in the waterfall.

A lot of newbies aren’t familiar with the concept that the calling station sets the pace and tone of the QSO.  Perhaps it seems easy to me because I just watched the waterfall for a year before ever hitting the TX button.

The other thing is OPs that are unaware of the language skills of the calling station.  I’ve seen people use all kinds of vernacular with stations that obviously have limited skills in English.

73 de Eric, KG6MZS

On Feb 18, 2015, at 1:02 PM, Les Alverson kd4sfd2@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

That is why I have several sets.  One for PODXS contests, one for FH contests, and another for general QSO's.

Les k4lea 1746 lonp 272

Ray Clements

One thing that I see from time to time is that a inexperienced station calling CQ will turn control of the QSO over to me by responding to my answer macro with an answer macro of his own rather than sending his exchange macro. That is just a waste of time and bandwidth.

Upon receiving his answer macro, I will give my exchange macro and then wait for his exchange macro. At that point I will conclude the QSO, for fear that he will send a long station/weather macro. Some send the long macro even after I have signed off "gl 73 sk sk".

Ray N9RWC

#1604 LONP #255
david@graniteweb.com

Dan Morris - KZ3T

That is a great idea but maybe instead of general macros for a specific program just list a set of macros that anyone could make up or copy/edit into their own program macros.

Dan Morris. KZ3T

Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 3:14 PM
To: 070@...

* Dan Morris dbmorris315@gmail.com [070] <070@yahoogroups.com> [2015-02-18 20:43]:
That is a great idea but maybe instead of general macros for a specific program just list a set of macros that anyone could make up or copy/edit into their own program macros.
That would be a lot better for folks that aren't using HRD :-)

--
David, K9DWR
#1604 LONP #255
david@graniteweb.com

Robert Johnstone

great! now I have to add shoe size and hat size to my lid tx macro. Robert kd0fip

That is one of my enduring mysteries with regards to amateur radio-using macros including their shoe size in DX.   I truly don't understand the negligence and/or ignorance of some OPs in handling DX contacts.  It is just about a universal phenomenon with DX PSK operations, so we see few DXpeditions that will "risk" operating PSK and greatly lowering their run rate.

On the other hand, I have never, personally, seen/heard a verbose CW DX exchange or even such a RTTY exchange.  (Almost) Always crisp and in rhythm.  I don't know what we can infer about the OPs population from that observation.

Tom
K8TOM

Everybody's different.

Milt.