From: 070@... [mailto:070@...]
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2015 7:55 AM
To: 070@...
Subject: Re: [070] LoTW Question

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 10:26 AM, Bill Garwood n4gbk@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

I have a question about QSOs confirmed in LoTW.  On some of them, there is an empty check box and 10; M Challenge or similar.  What does that empty check box mean?  If I check it, what does it do for me?

​This is what happens when you receive a confirmation for an entity that is already confirmed. It is probably of no concern for DX stations, but I have seen where it could be quite useful for Worked All States. A couple of years ago, I made contact with a mobile station who said his location was in Alabama, and when the confirmation can through, it showed a  different state. The check mark allows you to include a legitimate contact from a state in place of the automatically selected confirmation that is incorrect.

​
Then there is one QSO that has a Green check mark beside 40; M Challenge.

What does the green check mark mean?

​I have never been able to figure that out either.​

​Hoping this helps,

73 de Joe KJ8O

Joseph Miller <kj8o.ham@...>

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 10:59 AM, Mike Flowers mike.flowers@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

>>> What does the green check mark mean?

I think the green check mark occurs when an ‘Awarded’ QSL is reloaded by the DX station.   Sometimes DXpeditions will accumulate log corrections for busted calls, etc. then upload their entire log again.  When that uploaded DX QSO matches to one of your already ‘Awarded’ QSLs, the green check appears.

​Your answer looks reasonable. I will add though, I did a query of my USA confirmation​s received and saw a number of green check marks, all dated from 2007 through 2010, 2010 being the time that I submitted my all band mixed, 40 meter mixed, Digital, PSK31 and RTTY worked all state awards. So I think if you change "DX" station of "DX and Domestic" station, you have the correct answer.

​Hopefully that ill clear it up :)

73 de Joe 1244

Mike Flowers

Hi Joe,

>>> So I think if you change "DX" station of "DX and Domestic" station, you have the correct answer.

I think my original explanation holds.

LoTW is entirely driven by DXCC entities.  USA is entity #291.   The USA is counted as an entity for all DXCC Awards, and by LoTW’s definition: it’s DX.   Their rules …

- 73 and good DX de Mike, K6MKF, President - NCDXC

I think the green check mark occurs when an ‘Awarded’ QSL is reloaded by the DX station.   Sometimes DXpeditions will accumulate log corrections for busted calls, etc. then upload their entire log again.  When that uploaded DX QSO matches to one of your already ‘Awarded’ QSLs, the green check appears.

​Your answer looks reasonable. I will add though, I did a query of my USA confirmation​s received and saw a number of green check marks, all dated from 2007 through 2010, 2010 being the time that I submitted my all band mixed, 40 meter mixed, Digital, PSK31 and RTTY worked all state awards. So I think if you change "DX" station of "DX and Domestic" station, you have the correct answer.

​Hopefully that ill clear it up :)

73 de Joe 1244

Joseph Miller <kj8o.ham@...>

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 11:39 AM, Mike Flowers mike.flowers@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

Hi Joe,

>>> So I think if you change "DX" station of "DX and Domestic" station, you have the correct answer.

I think my original explanation holds.

​​
LoTW is entirely driven by DXCC entities.  USA is entity #291.   The USA is counted as an entity for all DXCC Awards, and by LoTW’s definition: it’s DX.   Their rules

​This is not true. There four (4) categories of awards available, DXCC, WAS, WPX, and VUCC. To enable each category, a rule must be defined, such as location or a range of dates.

I have all four of my awards enabled, and when I selected the WAS awards, then listed entries for the US, I saw at least 7-8 entries with green check marks.

73 de Joe

Bill Garwood

Thanks for the replies.

I checked my WAS account and looked back at several hundred QSOs and did not see any green check marks.  I usually do not do much with WAS.

I do keep a close watch on the DXCC QSOs and that is where I see the occasional green check mark.

Then I did a search for "LoTW green check mark" and this is what I found..

The Check MarkBlack = LoTW has selected this QSO as a new one to be applied to the awards in the

award box for this QSO.

Red = the QSO has been applied as part of an award application but the application has

not yet been processed.

Green = the application was processed and the QSO has been awarded.

      = The white check box allows you to manually select a QSO for an award. Be

cautious doing this because manually selecting a QSO will unselect what LoTW has

already selected for you.

So I agree that the green check mark is for a QSO that has already been given credit for by LoTW and it has somehow again been submitted.  The most recent green one was last week for a QSO in 2013 that had already been confimed in LoTW in 2013, I guess the DX station submitted it again in 2015?  (Since I have not submitted any recent WAS info, I would not have any green boxes for "repeat" submissions.)

Thanks to all, I learned something new today.

73,

Bill N4GBK

To: 070@...
From: 070@...