Letter from the Manager

David Westbrook

It's been a few weeks now since I stepped in to fill Jay's shoes as Club Manager, so i thought I would touch base here with what I've been working on, and what's coming up soon.

First, thanks to all the FB support & volunteer offers & idea emails!! I am keeping a list of all the ideas/todo's and volunteers, and will get to all of them. And there are plans for upcoming new fun endorsements!   Thanks for the help and patience!!

Here are some things recently completed items (some of you may have noticed some web site page changes already) ..

===> If you have comments/questions on any particular topic, please start a new thread, since lots  going on here! :)

* Updated Staff Directory
     ===> New email aliases created for permanent emails, but easy to transition among volunteers, and easy to have multiple recipients (redundancy).
     e.g.   info@...

* Electronic (PDF) certificates available
  You can download your Membership certificate,  LONP certificate, and extra endorsement sheet. (WTW will be added soon, too)
    ==> Paper versions will still be provided by the club for free. This just provides an option for those that want to print their own, or have a "soft" copy (for website, or slide show, or whatever).

* Newly constructed "master" database of member information.  You won't see this directly, but it drives a lot of the new updates.
   Includes full support for multiple callsigns and callsign changes.
   Will also start to track endorsements/mailings and budget.
  Stored as a Google Spreadsheet for easy ownership transfer, auto-backup, auto-revision history, and easy extracts, and programmatic updates (google API).
  http://hamclubs.info  will continue to provide public club lists/information.

* The following web site pages are now auto-generated from the master database:
  + "New Members" list on the front page
  + "Alpha List"
         the link to the genlog file was removed -- use http://hamclubs.info instead
         extra statistics now included
  + LONP Data" page.
  + "Members of LONP" page.

* All new ONLINE application for new members!!
    See "Join us" page and Membership FAQs for updates:
       http://www.podxs070.com/join-us
    It's now an all electronic process for staff to review/approve/add to database.
    Matt KK4CPS is doing the membership certificate printing/mailing.
    Requirements are effectively the same; notable change is that a scanned QSL image isn't necessarily required -- the application form attempts to automatically log-match a qso against the endorsement checker database.  So everyone uploading to the endorsement checker, is potentially helping new member applicants, too!!  If a match isn't found, then it requires a scan of a paper QSL, or a eQSL image.
  This was used successfully by several of the latest members, and nearly all got an automatic match.

* Updated the WTW pages (simplified some of the wording).

* Updated the "How to Donate" page w/new instructions & paypal button.

* Updated LONP Rules
      Online submission via endorsement checker
      Now FREE!  (previously $1 for initial cert)

* Updated "Help Desk" page
                  http://www.podxs070.com/help-desk

===> If you have comments/questions on any particular topic, please start a new thread, since lots  going on here! :)

===================

Next set of TODO's I'm working on (there's a lot more than this!):
* auto-generate the Member info page (and add link to the certs generator, too)
* changes to endorsement submission process -- hint: endorsement checker!! :)
* new endorsements -- have some good ideas from members ... just need to get through more transition/groundwork items first. These will probably be more like Fall, or 2015 calendar year.

Stay tuned -- more to come in next few weeks!

--david
KJ4IZW
070 #1041
Club Manager

lee_humphrey65

Good work, and if you need an overseas rep, then happy to help.

Lee

G6BFP

[...]

Ted <pegduck56@...>

nice job and effort, David

keep up the good work

73, Ted
K7TRK

On Tuesday, June 10, 2014 1:41 PM, "David Westbrook dwestbrook@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

[...]

K8TOM

Uh....Wow,....just WOW!

Tom
K8TOM

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 1:41 PM, David Westbrook dwestbrook@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

[...]

Jerry N9AVY

All I can say is , "WOW, you've been busy !".
".

To: 070@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, June 10, 2014, 3:41 PM

 http://www.podxs070.com/070-club-staff-directory
   ===> New email aliases created for permanent emails,
but easy to transition among volunteers, and easy to have
multiple recipients (redundancy).

     e.g.   info@podxs070.com
* Electronic (PDF) certificates
available    http://hamclubs.info/070-app/certs

included          http://www.podxs070.com/alpha-list

       http://www.podxs070.com/frequently-asked-questions/membership-faqs
  It's now an all electronic process for staff to
review/approve/add to database.

    Matt KK4CPS is doing the membership certificate
printing/mailing.    Requirements are
effectively the same; notable change is that a scanned QSL
image isn't necessarily required -- the application form
attempts to automatically log-match a qso against the
endorsement checker database.  So everyone uploading to the
endorsement checker, is potentially helping new member
applicants, too!!  If a match isn't found, then it
requires a scan of a paper QSL, or a eQSL image.

  This was used successfully by several of the latest
members, and nearly all got an automatic match.
* Updated the WTW pages (simplified some of the
wording).
* Updated the "How to Donate" page
w/new instructions & paypal button.

     http://www.podxs070.com/how-to-donate
* Updated LONP Rules
       http://www.podxs070.com/lonp/lonp-rules

[...]

Dan Morris - KZ3T

David - whew, looks like you have been a busy fellow and doing all this during/after a recent major move.  That is incredible!   Job well done and thanks for all that you are doing.

Dan Morris   KZ3T   070-1065

On Jun 10, 2014, at 4:41 PM, David Westbrook dwestbrook@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

[...]

wa3gm

Wow!!!!  You have been a busy guy

Greg
Wa3gm

[...]

Good Lord, you've been busy...plus moving too!

[...]

Jeannie Dopson

All I can say is WOW great job and thank you David!

You make me feel like a real louse you accomplished all this after a move and I still have boxes left to unpack and I moved May 1st which I believe was before your move lol

Again great job and thank you.

Jeannie
KF5PDM
(Disappearing to finish unpacking since  she now has no more excuses)

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 10, 2014, at 5:15 PM, "wa3gm wa3gm@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

Wow!!!!  You have been a busy guy

Greg
Wa3gm

[...]

Matthew King - AK4MK

Don't give him the big head, Jeannie!  Here he is the club manager of a large, rapidly growing club, and he can't even be bothered to have a radio shack, much less operate!

~tongue so firmly in cheek~

Matt
KK4CPS

[...]

David, K9DWR

* Matthew King mrk.twg@gmail.com [070] <070@yahoogroups.com> [2014-06-10 19:59]:
Don't give him the big head, Jeannie! Here he is the club manager of a
large, rapidly growing club, and he can't even be bothered to have a radio
shack, much less operate!

~tongue so firmly in cheek~
Or even finish off his own award :-)

--
David, K9DWR
#1604 LONP #255
david@graniteweb.com

David Westbrook

now you guys know (in part) why i keep saying "wait until fall" on the endorsement stuff! :)

Jeannie -- You still have a chance to finish moving before me;  We "moved" over memorial day, but that was having the movers pack everything up, and then we (me+xyl+kid+dog) drove up ... now we're in a long-term hotel for another month before closing on a new house -- THEN the fun starts when the movers bring everythign over from storage! :)   So i'm using this hotel down time to crank away on this stuff  ...

I brought most of shack equipment with me (thanks to APE incentive a few years ago, I made go-box for HF base station -- info on my qrz.com page) ... haven't set it up though,  but the hotel is a 2-bedroom loft, so night vaulted ceiling so hamstick (have a 17, 20 & 40) could go in the corner......

Or even finish off his own award :-)

ha!  yeah, i gotta knock that out!   Just have Sat 3am and Mon 4,5am local left ... tough ones.
  oooh -- there's a new 168-er!!

73!
--david
kj4izw

* Matthew King mrk.twg@... [070] <070@...> [2014-06-10 19:59]:

#1604 LONP #255
david@...

Ted <pegduck56@...>

and remember, David, it is a well known fact that after a big interstate move, you should be unpacked and everything in place in no more than 2 weeks. Then it should take no more than 5 days (6 if you are working full time) to get antennae up and the shack wired. So, we expect to see you on the air by July 4th !

GL and 73, Ted
K7TRK

#1604 LONP #255
david@...

Dan Morris - KZ3T

Ted — Then I’m waaaayyy behind.  I received my Zero Five vertical two weeks ago and only just got it out of the box last week.  But then we went on a mini vacation for granddaughters graduation.   I still need to cut the radials to the correct length and then get them on the radial plate; dig the hole for the mast, put the antenna together and then bury the coax and radials.   I’d like to say all in one week but the way I’m going it will be at least 2 more weeks.

And then I hope I’ve got everything the way it should be and get back on the air after a year and a half hiatus!

Dan Morris   KZ3T   070-1065

#1604 LONP #255
david@...

Jerry N9AVY

Dan:

We all know that things down South run slower and the life style is as such. People down South seem to live much longer or so it seems. :-)

You'll get that antenna installed when you're "darn good and ready to" and not a moment sooner ! You're in the "planning stage" right now and that can't be hurried, you know. Besides, life does get has a way of getting in the way of our hobby - drat !

I'll look forward to hearing you on the air again.

To: "070 List Service 070 List Service" <070@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Wednesday, June 11, 2014, 12:14 PM

  KZ3T   070-1065dbmorris315@gmail.com

On Jun 11, 2014, at 12:53 PM, Ted pegduck56@yahoo.com
[070] <070@yahoogroups.com>

!

Jun 10, 2014 at 10:54 PM, David Rock david@graniteweb.com [070] <070@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 * Matthew
King mrk.twg@gmail.com [070]
<070@yahoogroups.com> [2014-06-10
19:59]:
> Don't give him the big head, Jeannie!
Here he is the club manager of a
> large,
rapidly growing club, and he can't even be bothered to
have a radio
> shack, much less
operate!

> ~tongue so firmly in cheek~