New "Everything in my Shack" Brag Info

cessnaflyer42

Just had a QSO with a 2E station. Not only did he tell me all the specs on his computer (including Windows 7 Ultimate Edition), but he told me all about his 2m/70cm radio, too!

I'm all for a nice ragchew on PSK31, but if you're going to send a "brag tape" macro, please try to keep it to the interesting bits!  Put the rest on QRZ.com.

73 de NF8I,
~James

Ted <pegduck56@...>

James, see if you can lure him over to 6M !!!  (we need all the RF we can get on there)

GL, Ted
K7TRK

On Tuesday, May 20, 2014 9:27 PM, "nf8i@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

Just had a QSO with a 2E station. Not only did he tell me all the specs on his computer (including Windows 7 Ultimate Edition), but he told me all about his 2m/70cm radio, too!

I'm all for a nice ragchew on PSK31, but if you're going to send a "brag tape" macro, please try to keep it to the interesting bits!  Put the rest on QRZ.com.

73 de NF8I,
~James

kj4znk@...

I have had a couple of people do that, also, but for me it is no big deal as I usually "hunt and pounce" rather than call CQ.  Since they are initiating each section of the exchange, I just reply in kind...if they send station info, I send station info, if they send a weather report, I send a weather report, if they tell me everything in their shack, I will do the same!

Interestingly, including the temperature and conditions (85 F & Sunny) in my station report has gotten a lot of positive response...I guess all hams like weather!  :-)

I have also run into a couple of people who had really long closings...a couple that took several minutes to complete...

It's all good though; if we were all the same, life sure would be boring!

Virgil - KJ4ZNK

Jerry N9AVY

I have an especially long brag macro reserved for those very people. Figure if they can bore me with a long list of their station equipment, I can do the same.

Jerry  N9AVY

I have had a couple of people do that, also, but for me it is no big deal as I usually "hunt and pounce" rather than call CQ.  Since they are initiating each section of the exchange, I just reply in kind...if they send station info, I send station info, if they send a weather report, I send a weather report, if they tell me everything in their shack, I will do the same!

Interestingly, including the temperature and conditions (85 F & Sunny) in my station report has gotten a lot of positive response...I guess all hams like weather!  :-)

I have also run into a couple of people who had really long closings...a couple that took several minutes to complete...

It's all good though; if we were all the same, life sure would be boring!

Virgil - KJ4ZNK

kj4znk@...

Yeah, I usually don't mind people sending me radio, power, antenna, OS, software, and interface; I am going to be in the market for some new equipment in about 6 months, and I have had some good conversations with people over what they are using and how they like it!  Plus, I get to see how it is performing on the air, which is a plus...

Virgil - KJ4ZNK

Joseph Miller <kj8o.ham@...>

Maybe they do it on purpose, take a nature break, warm up the coffee mug, run back to the shack....

Sheesh.

73 de Joe KJ8O 1244

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 9:25 AM, Jerry n9avy@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

I have an especially long brag macro reserved for those very people. Figure if they can bore me with a long list of their station equipment, I can do the same.

Jerry  N9AVY

al7013

Lol. They should do jt65 then you have 2 minutes from the time you send.

Allen K2afy. 1063

Sent from my iPhone

On May 21, 2014, at 10:06 AM, "Joseph Miller kj8o.ham@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

Maybe they do it on purpose, take a nature break, warm up the coffee mug, run back to the shack....

Sheesh.

73 de Joe KJ8O 1244

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 9:25 AM, Jerry n9avy@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

I have an especially long brag macro reserved for those very people. Figure if they can bore me with a long list of their station equipment, I can do the same.

Jerry  N9AVY

F.R. Ashley

Lets see,

After reading the posts in this thread, I conclude nobody wants to know about the WX, what kind of radio you are using, or antenna. Of course nobody is interested in your computer, your age, how long you've been a ham or your family. We certainly don't want to hear about your health or medical problems and operations. Since you are retired, we don't care about where you used to work. What can we talk about that does not irritate someone?

73 Buddy WB4M

kj4znk@...

That is opposite of what I am saying, Buddy!  I like to hear that kind of stuff, but I tend to respond in kind...a person sending short, terse macros will get the same back from me, and those who send more info will get more back from me, and those who want to ragchew will get me talking!

Ham radio is an inclusive hobby; there is no one way to do it.  There are times I sit down at the radio with just a few minutes to try to make a contact, and I have to tell someone that I have to go after just a few minutes.  There are other times I will sit and talk for a long time.

I talked with a guy who was homebound, a widower, and lost in his house without his wife.  I spent a bit talking with him and listening to his woes, and felt good that I had given him someone to talk to.

Of course, there are other people who just want to make contacts, so they want to keep it short - nothing wrong with that, either!

Sometimes you are just trying to get QSO's in your log, and other times you are reaching out and connecting with people.  Some of the best conversations I have had on the radio were when I was just making contacts, but someone came along who wanted to talk for a while

And ask anyone who knows me:  one thing I can do is talk!  :-)

Virgil - KJ4ZNK

I've read the posts also. When you call cq, somebody answers and you get the macro's & info they're comfortable sharing. It's just the luck of the draw.
I tend to keep my macro's shorter, but then, it's my opinion of what's short, ya know?
I think the exchanging of some shack data is good...and antenna info gives us idea's for improving our own station, and the opportunity to ask questions...or not to ask questions.
I'll end here before I'm pedantically, ignorantly, child like and very crudely accused of whizzing in someone's Wheaties...too funny, and actually received as a compliment when viewing the source...
Milt.
N6MG
0-70-650
LONP #76

[...]

Exactly, Milt!  As I said at the beginning, I am looking at getting new equipment soon; if someone tells me they are using a particular radio or antenna, and it is one I have been looking at, then I want to know how they like it, etc.!

Other than what the FCC has in their rules, there is no one right way to do things.  There are established procedures and there are plenty of self-appointed police to spank those who deviate one jot from the orthodoxy of RTTY QSO procedures, but the bottom line is that it is a hobby, you should have fun with it, and if people do things differently we should all lighten up and enjoy the QSO!  For the most part common courtesy will handle most issues, and we can always ignore those who lack courtesy!

Hard to be a "goodwill ambassador" if we nitpick every little thing our contacts do!  Between the VA, Tri-Care, job, wife, mortgage, taxes, etc. I have all the nitpicky crap I need...so I like to be forgiving of people who do it differently, encourage people to do more and better, contact new places, make new friends, learn more about the radio arts...but most of all, just have fun!

And, quite frankly, if too many people try to turn something that is fun into a strict set of rules and regulations, with public humiliation and verbal browbeating for the slightest mistake, then I usually just go somewhere else where people still remember that a hobby is supposed to be fun!

Virgil - KJ4ZNK

Jerry N9AVY

I agree with Virgil.  If someone wants to ragchew, I'm up for it !  Others who just want to send a lot of info will get same in return. Some of the most memorable contacts I've had were the ones that were just ragchews.

I don't usually initiate ragchews unless the other station wishes to do so. This holds true for PSK31 as well as SSB and other modes.

The 10-10 organization as most see it is a group that just exchanges number, but nothing is further from the truth. 10-10's primary purpose is to "keep 10 meters active" by creating local groups (chapters) to keep activity going on local and international levels. 10-10 has been active since the 1960's when it started in California. Officers & Directors are now scattered all over U.S. and some previous were in England, Australia and Canada. 10-10 holds several QSO Parties during the year and many members are known to stop in the middle of QSO Party just to ragchew.

I think that while QSOs are great, ham radio has been more about getting to know one another better.

Jerry  N9AVY

[...]

Scott Monks

Actually Buddy, I would be interestedin hearing about any of the things mentioned, but I prefer to get them during a good conversation and not in a macro.  However, when someone sends a canned macro I just try to get a conservation going.  I have my macros set but more often send the same info by hand (fingers, hi hi) rather than use them.  For example, I often ask about the weather, but I don't want a canned response--I want to get to know a new friend!

73, Scott. AA0AA. 1550

Sent from Scott's iPad

On May 21, 2014, at 9:23 AM, "'F.R. Ashley' gdadx2@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

Lets see,

After reading the posts in this thread, I conclude nobody wants to know
about the WX, what kind of radio you are using, or antenna. Of course
nobody is interested in your computer, your age, how long you've been a
ham or your family. We certainly don't want to hear about your health
or medical problems and operations. Since you are retired, we don't
care about where you used to work. What can we talk about that does not
irritate someone?

73 Buddy WB4M

Jerry N9AVY

I don't type very good and have a bit of arthritis in fingers; so I use macros  quite a bit.  However, I will ragchew for quite a bit until pain and cramps stop me from typing.

Jerry  N9AVY

On Wednesday, May 21, 2014 10:25 PM, "Scott cq_dx_de_aa0aa@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

[...]

Robert Johnstone

I think my batteries would run down by the time I listed everything here in the basement with my radio equipment, or the band would close. Robert kd0fip 1396