24-7

John Netro

Thought I would let all know that I am out of commission till I get another antenna and coax. Don't know when that will be but when I do I will be back after the 24-7. I think I took a lighting strike about 3 weeks ago replaced the coax and 3 weeks later i'm off the air again so I think the antenna (Eagle One 31 foot vertical) is shot. or cause I didn't have it grounded and or no radials.  

N9WVM, John
PODXS070 #1073

Dan Morris - KZ3T

John - what will you replace it with?  I have moved and as soon as the weather warms up I'm going to order a Zero Five vertical 29' or 31' -- I've read nothing but good reports about it. I will the run approx 36-40 radials.    I was also looking at the Eagle One.

Dan Morris. KZ3T

On Mar 18, 2014, at 9:57 PM, John Netro-N9WVM <n9wvm@...> wrote:

Thought I would let all know that I am out of commission till I get another antenna and coax. Don't know when that will be but when I do I will be back after the 24-7. I think I took a lighting strike about 3 weeks ago replaced the coax and 3 weeks later i'm off the air again so I think the antenna (Eagle One 31 foot vertical) is shot. or cause I didn't have it grounded and or no radials.  

N9WVM, John
PODXS070 #1073

Jerry N9AVY

Bummer , John !   Darn lightning. Hope you had radio disconnected.

Is coax bad ???  If you have Ohmmeter you can check continuity from center conductor on one end to the other... same for the shield.  You should see continuity from one end to the other, but NOT between the shield & center conductor. If you a short between conductors you probably need to remove coax plugs and resolder them. (Check ARRL Radio Handbook for how to solder. Be sure to flex coax at plugs by wiggling them a bit. Had a bad solder connection on one of jumpers.

The antenna may be fixable. 

Good luck !

Jerry  N9AVY

To: PODXS <070@...>
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 8:57 PM
Subject: [070] 24-7

N9WVM, John
PODXS070 #1073

Jerry N9AVY

I happen to know the owner of Zero Five and he turns out a quality product. We have a mutual ham friend who is in hospital and Sunday was Gus' Birthday and the owner of Zero Five showed up. I was also in Illinois concealed carry class with the owner of Zero Five in January.

Grounding is important as are radials. Makes a better target for lightning.

73,  Jerry

To: "070@..." <070@...>
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 9:05 PM
Subject: Re: [070] 24-7

John - what will you replace it with?  I have moved and as soon as the weather warms up I'm going to order a Zero Five vertical 29' or 31' -- I've read nothing but good reports about it. I will the run approx 36-40 radials.    I was also looking at the Eagle One.

Dan Morris. KZ3T

N9WVM, John
PODXS070 #1073

Matthew King - AK4MK

A concealed carry class in Illinois - I bet that takes some hoop jumping!

Matt (glad he's in Georgia)
KK4CPS

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 10:15 PM, Jerry <n9avy@...> wrote:

I happen to know the owner of Zero Five and he turns out a quality product. We have a mutual ham friend who is in hospital and Sunday was Gus' Birthday and the owner of Zero Five showed up. I was also in Illinois concealed carry class with the owner of Zero Five in January.

Grounding is important as are radials. Makes a better target for lightning.

73,  Jerry

To: "070@..." <070@...>
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 9:05 PM
Subject: Re: [070] 24-7

Dan Morris. KZ3T

N9WVM, John
PODXS070 #1073

Mike Miller <lists@...>

I think it took a Supreme Court ruling to get it done.

Mike kc9doa

On 18 Mar 2014 at 22:27, Matthew King wrote:

A concealed carry class in Illinois - I bet that takes some
hoop jumping!

Matt (glad he's in Georgia)
KK4CPS

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 10:15 PM, Jerry <n9avy@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

I happen to know the owner of Zero Five and he turns out a
quality
product. We have a mutual ham friend who is in hospital and
Sunday was Gus'
Birthday and the owner of Zero Five showed up. I was also in
Illinois
concealed carry class with the owner of Zero Five in
January.

Grounding is important as are radials. Makes a better target
for lightning.

73, Jerry

------------------------------
*To:* "070@yahoogroups.com" <070@yahoogroups.com>
*Sent:* Tuesday, March 18, 2014 9:05 PM
*Subject:* Re: [070] 24-7

John - what will you replace it with? I have moved and as
soon as the
weather warms up I'm going to order a Zero Five vertical 29'
or 31' -- I've
read nothing but good reports about it. I will the run approx
36-40
radials. I was also looking at the Eagle One.

Dan Morris. KZ3T
dbmorris315@gmail.com

On Mar 18, 2014, at 9:57 PM, John Netro-N9WVM
<n9wvm@yahoo.com> wrote:

Thought I would let all know that I am out of commission till
I get
another antenna and coax. Don't know when that will be but
when I do I will
be back after the 24-7. I think I took a lighting strike
about 3 weeks ago
replaced the coax and 3 weeks later i'm off the air again so
I think the