TIME

Jerry N9AVY

If you put EST into GMT time, I might show up. All my clocks in shack are set to GMT. I have no idea what EST is.

Jerry

To: 070@...
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 8:06 PM
Subject: Re: [070] 24x7 Who's going to be #10?

Looks Good Matt
1 to 2 EST tonight for certain - need other slots but feel I should be able to make it tonight.
Hope someone else needs those hours too.
Just worked W1AW/5 on 20 and of to bed for a bit HI Hi.
St Patrick's day was fun. I made about 22 of the 24 hours - it was a long lonely  night _ only a coupl;e of us stayed in the battle although I managed to fill my Sunday Slots I'm surprised that some of the 24/7 hunters were not out there.
See you later
John

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 8:27 PM, Matthew King <mrk.twg@...> wrote:

Yes, John, thanks for asking!  I've got the new FTdx3000 setup with a new (albeit very basic, it's more than I need!) 8GB/i3 3.4GHz/120MB SSD computer with paid HRD 6.1.  It's all working pretty well now.  I forgot just how much time I'd spent tweaking the macros and such in DM780, and since the old machine died, I can't retrieve them!  At least I had the logs saved off elsewhere.  I'll probably be looking over the recent threads on macros, as well as the ones we had back around the PSKFest.  You, David, Jerry, and several others gave me some great suggestions on contesting macros in particular, so I'd like to get it right again and *save* them this time! HRD has this functionality now - not sure if it did before or not, but I'll sure avail myself of it this time!

I look forward to playing in the next event, to be sure!

So we're looking at 1-2AM Eastern (I think I ciphered that right?) on which days, John?  I'll try to stay up for ya on those days.

Y'all take care,

Matt
KK4CPS
1708 / 261

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 7:04 PM, John Bower <poppajohnbower@...> wrote:

Sure is Matt
Have you got your new set up on the air?
Sure missed you on St Paddy's day.
I have to keep nibbling at the 24/7 hours slowly - ned my sleep to be alert!
Getting old and missing sleep  and a busy schedule do not go together_HI HI.
Best wishes.
John KE4JB

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 5:50 PM, Matthew King <mrk.twg@...> wrote:

Hey, Padre - is that 5-6 UTC?

Matt
KK4CPS

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 5:14 PM, John Bower <poppajohnbower@...> wrote:

If anyone intends to be around during the 5 & 6 O'clock hours in the morning I would very much appreciate being able to fill those two time slots on 20, 40 or 80m
Let me know and I'll be there - got to keep on keeping on.
Thanks
John KE4JB

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 4:08 PM, Les Alverson <kd4sfd2@...> wrote:

Sleep?  Who needs sleep?  This is a hobby folks, not a job!!!

HIHI

;}
K4LEA
Les 1746

On 3/18/2014 3:53 PM, ljl2002@... wrote:

Here Hear!!!

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482
To: "070@..." <070@...>
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 3:14 PM

Give David a break !  He's been working hard on all those programs which we all benefit from, which I would guess leaves him little time for messing with 24 x 7 contacts. Like David needs to sleep sometimes !Jerry  n9avy

Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 1:48 PM

yah it is not like people are mad at him and off pouting. Robert KD0FIP

Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 10:59 AM

I mean really... you'd think that the guy that started the whole shebang could be bothered to put in the effort to at least be in the top ten, right? ;-)

~POKE~

Matt
KK4CPS

070 #1708 / LONP #261 / 24X7 #8
On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 11:32 AM, David Westbrook <dwestbrook@...> wrote:

I was poised to take it weeks ago, and just haven't been able to knock it out .....
just 4 left, but i see that K4LEA has slid in right above me with 166! http://hamclubs.info/070-checker/24x7/
--david
KJ4IZW070 #1041

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 11:05 AM, David Rock <david@...> wrote:

There's been some movement lately, with a few folks within striking distance of that #10 spot. Who's it going to be? :-) -- David, K9DWR #1604 LONP #255 david@...

Steve W3HF

John -

Do you really mean EST? Did Cherry Valley not go on Daylight Savings Time ten days ago like the rest of the state of New York?

Steve
W3HF
(who is poking fun just to show that doing everything related to amateur radio in UTC is easier!)

Matthew King <mrk.twg@...>

Eastern is what us right coasters go by!  I just wanted to make sure I was ciphering the UTC/EST difference correctly as I've not yet setup my UTC clock on Windows 8.1.  Another item a bit further down on the to do list, ya see... should be 0500-0600 UTC, I do believe.

Take care y'all,

Matt
KK4CPS

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 9:12 PM, Jerry <n9avy@...> wrote:

If you put EST into GMT time, I might show up. All my clocks in shack are set to GMT. I have no idea what EST is.

Jerry

Looks Good Matt
1 to 2 EST tonight for certain - need other slots but feel I should be able to make it tonight.
St Patrick's day was fun. I made about 22 of the 24 hours - it was a long lonely  night _ only a coupl;e of us stayed in the battle although I managed to fill my Sunday Slots I'm surprised that some of the 24/7 hunters were not out there.
See you later
John

Yes, John, thanks for asking!  I've got the new FTdx3000 setup with a new (albeit very basic, it's more than I need!) 8GB/i3 3.4GHz/120MB SSD computer with paid HRD 6.1.  It's all working pretty well now.  I forgot just how much time I'd spent tweaking the macros and such in DM780, and since the old machine died, I can't retrieve them!  At least I had the logs saved off elsewhere.  I'll probably be looking over the recent threads on macros, as well as the ones we had back around the PSKFest.  You, David, Jerry, and several others gave me some great suggestions on contesting macros in particular, so I'd like to get it right again and *save* them this time! HRD has this functionality now - not sure if it did before or not, but I'll sure avail myself of it this time!

So we're looking at 1-2AM Eastern (I think I ciphered that right?) on which days, John?  I'll try to stay up for ya on those days.

Y'all take care,

Matt
KK4CPS
1708 / 261

Sure is Matt
Best wishes.
John KE4JB

Matt
KK4CPS

If anyone intends to be around during the 5 & 6 O'clock hours in the morning I would very much appreciate being able to fill those two time slots on 20, 40 or 80m
Thanks
John KE4JB

HIHI

;}
K4LEA
Les 1746

Here Hear!!!

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

Give David a break !  He's been working hard on all those programs which we all benefit from, which I would guess leaves him little time for messing with 24 x 7 contacts. Like David needs to sleep sometimes !Jerry  n9avy

I mean really... you'd think that the guy that started the whole shebang could be bothered to put in the effort to at least be in the top ten, right? ;-)

~POKE~

Matt
KK4CPS

I was poised to take it weeks ago, and just haven't been able to knock it out .....
just 4 left, but i see that K4LEA has slid in right above me with 166! http://hamclubs.info/070-checker/24x7/
--david
KJ4IZW070 #1041

There's been some movement lately, with a few folks within striking distance of that #10 spot. Who's it going to be? :-) -- David, K9DWR #1604 LONP #255 david@...

Lol... I reckon it is EDT now, you're right!  UTC wins!  Sorry I threw in the Eastern thing. 

~ducking flying tomatoes and fruit~

Matt

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 9:24 PM, <w3hf@...> wrote:

John -

Do you really mean EST? Did Cherry Valley not go on Daylight Savings Time ten days ago like the rest of the state of New York?

Steve
W3HF
(who is poking fun just to show that doing everything related to amateur radio in UTC is easier!)

Jerry N9AVY

Everyone ....   it is important to keep logs in GMT.  Cannot stress this enough.  Many years ago I was a QSL Manager for a couple DX stations and had to reject hundreds of QSLs because they could not/would not convert to GMT ... and if they did they forgot to change the date.

I was doing thousands of log pages a week and (yes, paper logs) and it made lots of work for me; so, I adopted a policy of any card that was more than an hour off on time got tossed.

If you use Eqsl, putting in anything other than GMT time with have negative results... LoTW only checks 1/2 hour either side of QSO.

In other words, if you aren't using GMT you're doing yourself a disservice.

Using correct time (GMT) is important !  This is part of the old newbie indoctrination to ham radio.  I'm starting to think some folks are missing a lot of basic information from some of the things I've read here.

end of rant ...

Jerry

Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 8:28 PM
Subject: Re: [070] Re: TIME

Lol... I reckon it is EDT now, you're right!  UTC wins!  Sorry I threw in the Eastern thing. 

Matt

John -

Steve
W3HF

For me personally, everything is in UTC, logs and all.  I'd just not updated my brand new computer to UTC yet.  I've not made any contacts with it yet, so there's no log corruption or anything, and I'll certainly have it correctly logging UTC before I do make the first one.

I just wanted to make sure I was staying up at the right time tonight - that's the only reason I brought up Eastern. Really should've just double checked the time myself and not brought it up, I reckon.  

Thanks for the concern about my logging and everything else being in UTC - nice to have someone watching out!

Thanks,

Matt
KK4CPS

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 9:44 PM, Jerry <n9avy@...> wrote:

Everyone ....   it is important to keep logs in GMT.  Cannot stress this enough.  Many years ago I was a QSL Manager for a couple DX stations and had to reject hundreds of QSLs because they could not/would not convert to GMT ... and if they did they forgot to change the date.

I was doing thousands of log pages a week and (yes, paper logs) and it made lots of work for me; so, I adopted a policy of any card that was more than an hour off on time got tossed.

If you use Eqsl, putting in anything other than GMT time with have negative results... LoTW only checks 1/2 hour either side of QSO.

In other words, if you aren't using GMT you're doing yourself a disservice.

Using correct time (GMT) is important !  This is part of the old newbie indoctrination to ham radio.  I'm starting to think some folks are missing a lot of basic information from some of the things I've read here.

end of rant ...

Jerry

Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 8:28 PM

Matt

John -

Steve
W3HF

Robert Johnstone

short for estimated

Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 8:26 PM
Subject: Re: [070] TIME

Eastern is what us right coasters go by!  I just wanted to make sure I was ciphering the UTC/EST difference correctly as I've not yet setup my UTC clock on Windows 8.1.  Another item a bit further down on the to do list, ya see... should be 0500-0600 UTC, I do believe.

Take care y'all,

Matt
KK4CPS

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 9:12 PM, Jerry <n9avy@...> wrote:

Jerry

Looks Good Matt
See you later
John

Y'all take care,

Matt
KK4CPS
1708 / 261

Sure is Matt
Best wishes.
John KE4JB

Matt
KK4CPS

Thanks
John KE4JB

HIHI

;}
K4LEA
Les 1746

Here Hear!!!

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

~POKE~

Matt
KK4CPS

--david
KJ4IZW070 #1041

jim.sens@...

I once did that for the clock near my operating location.  After my XYL recovered from thinking she lost track of time and missed lunch with her friends ... I resolved never to do that again.  So now I keep a small travel alarm clock on my desk, set to UTC.  73 de KX8C Jim

Mike Miller <lists@...>

I use a little free program called Alpha Clock. It puts a little
5/16 x 1 digital UTC clock on my desk top.

Mike kc9doa

On 19 Mar 2014 at 16:13, jim.sens@sensfamily.com wrote:

I once did that for the clock near my operating location.
After my XYL recovered from thinking she lost track of time and
missed lunch with her friends ... I resolved never to do that
again. So now I keep a small travel alarm clock on my desk,
set to UTC. 73 de KX8C Jim

ve3oij@...

Yes, I noticed that.  EST is not a time zone that is used in Canada or the USA at this time of year, I believe.

So if someone in New York publishes a time like 1500 EST on 18 March, people should be looking for it at 1600 on the clock here in Ottawa, because we're all on EDT.

73 de VE3OIJ
-Darin

---In 070@..., <w3hf@...> wrote :

John -

Virgil - KJ4ZNK <kj4znk@...>

Maybe, maybe not; in your example NY is on EDT also, so if someone in NY
says EST this time of year, they probably mean EDT...almost everyone I
know calls it EST all year, regardless of whether we are on Standard or
Daylights Savings...

Personally, I avoid the whole thing by just using ET for Eastern Time!

KJ4ZNK

*73*

*Virgil*
*KJ4ZNK*
Ham Site <http://kj4znk.blogspot.com/>
Weather Site <http://kj4znk-pws.blogspot.com/>

Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/virgil.castleberry.9>

Facebook Ham Page
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Amateur-Radio-Station-kj4znk/332775330197806>

On 3/19/2014 11:39 PM, ve3oij@amsat.org wrote:

Yes, I noticed that. EST is not a time zone that is used in Canada or
the USA at this time of year, I believe.

So if someone in New York publishes a time like 1500 EST on 18 March,
people should be looking for it at 1600 on the clock here in Ottawa,
because we're all on EDT.

73 de VE3OIJ
-Darin

---In 070@yahoogroups.com, <w3hf@...> wrote :

John -

Do you really mean EST? Did Cherry Valley not go on Daylight Savings
Time ten days ago like the rest of the state of New York?

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Jerry N9AVY

Guess you all didn't get what I said originally.

If you use anything other than GMT you're out of step with the rest of ham radio world !

Nuff said.

Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 10:52 PM

Daylights Savings...

KJ4ZNK

*73*

*Virgil*
*KJ4ZNK*
Ham Site
Weather Site

Facebook

Facebook Ham Page

On 3/19/2014 11:39 PM, ve3oij@... wrote:
>
> Yes, I noticed that. EST is not a time zone that is used in Canada or
> the USA at this time of year, I believe.
>
>
> So if someone in New York publishes a time like 1500 EST on 18 March,
> people should be looking for it at 1600 on the clock here in Ottawa,
> because we're all on EDT.
>
> 73 de VE3OIJ
> -Darin
>
>
> ---In 070@..., wrote :
>
> John -
>
> Do you really mean EST? Did Cherry Valley not go on Daylight Savings
> Time ten days ago like the rest of the state of New York?
>
>

David Westbrook

virgil -- i've noticed the exact same thing at work (everyone says "EST" year-round), and drives me crazy!  especially since we work with china, and they don't shift for daylight sayings.
And i do the same thing -- i always write "ET" and never EST/EDT ...
my other time-related pet peeve is servers not being kept sync'd to a time server .....

and of course everything ham i use UTC ...    though my notecard cheat-sheet for 24x7 slots is local (and i just switched cards for time change), since that's easier to plan relative to other stuff (work/sleep/etc).

--david
kj4izw

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 11:52 PM, Virgil - KJ4ZNK <kj4znk@...> wrote:

Daylights Savings...

KJ4ZNK

*73*

*Virgil*
*KJ4ZNK*

Facebook Ham Page

On 3/19/2014 11:39 PM, ve3oij@... wrote:
>
> Yes, I noticed that. EST is not a time zone that is used in Canada or
>
>
> So if someone in New York publishes a time like 1500 EST on 18 March,
> people should be looking for it at 1600 on the clock here in Ottawa,
>
> 73 de VE3OIJ
> -Darin
>
>
> ---In 070@..., wrote :
>
> John -
>
> Do you really mean EST? Did Cherry Valley not go on Daylight Savings
>
>

ljl2002@att.net

"Time keeps on slippin.....slippin....slippen.....  into the future"

I had to do it!

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2014 12:42 AM

Guess you all didn't get what I said originally.If you use anything other than GMT you're out of step with the rest of ham radio world !Nuff said.

Maybe, maybe not; in your example NY is on EDT also, so if someone in NY says EST this time of year, they probably mean EDT...almost everyone I know calls it EST all year, regardless of whether we are on Standard or Daylights Savings...Personally, I avoid the whole thing by just using ET for Eastern Time!KJ4ZNK*73**Virgil**KJ4ZNK*Ham Site Weather Site Facebook Facebook Ham Page On 3/19/2014 11:39 PM, ve3oij@... wrote:>> Yes, I noticed that. EST is not a time zone that is used in Canada or > the USA at this time of year, I believe.>>> So if someone in New York publishes a time like 1500 EST on 18 March, > people should be looking for it at 1600 on the clock here in Ottawa, > because we're all on EDT.>> 73 de VE3OIJ> -Darin>>> ---In 070@..., wrote :>> John ->> Do you really mean EST? Did Cherry Valley not go on Daylight Savings > Time ten days ago like the rest of the state of New York?>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

David Westbrook

"Time, time, time is on my side, yes it is!"

joe made me do it! :)

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 8:20 PM, ljl2002@... <joe_molon@...> wrote:

"Time keeps on slippin.....slippin....slippen.....  into the future"

I had to do it!

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2014 12:42 AM

Guess you all didn't get what I said originally.If you use anything other than GMT you're out of step with the rest of ham radio world !Nuff said.

Maybe, maybe not; in your example NY is on EDT also, so if someone in NY says EST this time of year, they probably mean EDT...almost everyone I know calls it EST all year, regardless of whether we are on Standard or Daylights Savings...Personally, I avoid the whole thing by just using ET for Eastern Time!KJ4ZNK*73**Virgil**KJ4ZNK*Ham Site <http://kj4znk.blogspot.com/>Weather Site <http://kj4znk-pws.blogspot.com/>Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/virgil.castleberry.9>Facebook Ham Page <https://www.facebook.com/pages/Amateur-Radio-Station-kj4znk/332775330197806>On 3/19/2014 11:39 PM, ve3oij@... wrote:>> Yes, I noticed that. EST is not a time zone that is used in Canada or > the USA at this time of year, I believe.>>> So if someone in New York publishes a time like 1500 EST on 18 March, > people should be looking for it at 1600 on the clock here in Ottawa, > because we're all on EDT.>> 73 de VE3OIJ> -Darin>>> ---In 070@..., wrote :>> John ->> Do you really mean EST? Did Cherry Valley not go on Daylight Savings > Time ten days ago like the rest of the state of New York?>>

Personally we could all go by UTC for all I care...whether I go to bed
tonight at 10 PM or 2 AM, I am going to sleep 8 hours and get up...what
difference does it make what the clock says, as long as we are all using
the same thing? Instead of me starting work at 8 ET and someone else
starting at 8 CT, I start at 3 UTC (getting rid of DST) and they start
at 4 UTC...it is just a number, the universe does not designate a point
in the Earth's rotation to be 8 AM ET...

"A difference that makes no difference is no difference"...

*Virgil*
*KJ4ZNK*

Facebook Ham Page

On 3/20/2014 8:08 PM, David Westbrook wrote:
virgil -- i've noticed the exact same thing at work (everyone says
"EST" year-round), and drives me crazy! especially since we work with
china, and they don't shift for daylight sayings.
my other time-related pet peeve is servers not being kept sync'd to a
time server .....

and of course everything ham i use UTC ... though my notecard
cheat-sheet for 24x7 slots is local (and i just switched cards for
time change), since that's easier to plan relative to other stuff
(work/sleep/etc).

--david
kj4izw

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 11:52 PM, Virgil - KJ4ZNK <kj4znk@yahoo.com
<mailto:kj4znk@yahoo.com>> wrote:

Maybe, maybe not; in your example NY is on EDT also, so if someone
in NY
says EST this time of year, they probably mean EDT...almost
everyone I
know calls it EST all year, regardless of whether we are on
Standard or
Daylights Savings...

KJ4ZNK

*73*

*Virgil*
*KJ4ZNK*

Facebook Ham Page

On 3/19/2014 11:39 PM, ve3oij@amsat.org <mailto:ve3oij@amsat.org>
wrote:
>
> Yes, I noticed that. EST is not a time zone that is used in
Canada or
>
>
> So if someone in New York publishes a time like 1500 EST on 18
March,
> people should be looking for it at 1600 on the clock here in
Ottawa,
>
> 73 de VE3OIJ
> -Darin
>
>
> ---In 070@yahoogroups.com <mailto:070@yahoogroups.com>,
<w3hf@...> wrote :
>
> John -
>
> Do you really mean EST? Did Cherry Valley not go on Daylight
Savings
>
>

Les Alverson <kd4sfd2@...>

You just want to cause trouble don't you?  ;}

Les
K4LEA 1746

On 3/20/2014 8:56 PM, Virgil - KJ4ZNK wrote:

*Virgil*
*KJ4ZNK*
Ham Site
Weather Site

Facebook

Facebook Ham Page

> virgil -- i've noticed the exact same thing at work (everyone says
> "EST" year-round), and drives me crazy! especially since we work with
> china, and they don't shift for daylight sayings.
> And i do the same thing -- i always write "ET" and never EST/EDT ...
> my other time-related pet peeve is servers not being kept sync'd to a
> time server .....
>
> and of course everything ham i use UTC ... though my notecard
> cheat-sheet for 24x7 slots is local (and i just switched cards for
> time change), since that's easier to plan relative to other stuff
> (work/sleep/etc).
>
> --david
> kj4izw
>
>
> On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 11:52 PM, Virgil - KJ4ZNK <kj4znk@...
> > wrote:
>
> Maybe, maybe not; in your example NY is on EDT also, so if someone
> in NY
> says EST this time of year, they probably mean EDT...almost
> everyone I
> know calls it EST all year, regardless of whether we are on
> Standard or
> Daylights Savings...
>
> Personally, I avoid the whole thing by just using ET for Eastern Time!
>
> KJ4ZNK
>
> *73*
>
> *Virgil*
> *KJ4ZNK*
> Ham Site
> Weather Site
>
> Facebook
>
> Facebook Ham Page
>
>
>
>
> On 3/19/2014 11:39 PM, ve3oij@...
> wrote:
> >
> > Yes, I noticed that. EST is not a time zone that is used in
> Canada or
> > the USA at this time of year, I believe.
> >
> >
> > So if someone in New York publishes a time like 1500 EST on 18
> March,
> > people should be looking for it at 1600 on the clock here in
> Ottawa,
> > because we're all on EDT.
> >
> > 73 de VE3OIJ
> > -Darin
> >
> >
> > ---In 070@... ,
> wrote :
> >
> > John -
> >
> > Do you really mean EST? Did Cherry Valley not go on Daylight
> Savings
> > Time ten days ago like the rest of the state of New York?
> >
> >
>
>
>
>
>

Jerry N9AVY

Okay , so when I send you a QSL, I'll use Fiji Standard Time and let you convert it !  Heh-heh !

Jerry  N9AVY

Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2014 7:56 PM

*Virgil*
*KJ4ZNK*
Ham Site
Weather Site

Facebook

Facebook Ham Page

> virgil -- i've noticed the exact same thing at work (everyone says
> "EST" year-round), and drives me crazy! especially since we work with
> china, and they don't shift for daylight sayings.
> And i do the same thing -- i always write "ET" and never EST/EDT ...
> my other time-related pet peeve is servers not being kept sync'd to a
> time server .....
>
> and of course everything ham i use UTC ... though my notecard
> cheat-sheet for 24x7 slots is local (and i just switched cards for
> time change), since that's easier to plan relative to other stuff
> (work/sleep/etc).
>
> --david
> kj4izw
>
>
> On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 11:52 PM, Virgil - KJ4ZNK > > wrote:
>
> Maybe, maybe not; in your example NY is on EDT also, so if someone
> in NY
> says EST this time of year, they probably mean EDT...almost
> everyone I
> know calls it EST all year, regardless of whether we are on
> Standard or
> Daylights Savings...
>
> Personally, I avoid the whole thing by just using ET for Eastern Time!
>
> KJ4ZNK
>
> *73*
>
> *Virgil*
> *KJ4ZNK*
> Ham Site > Weather Site
>
> Facebook
>
> Facebook Ham Page
>
>
>
>
> On 3/19/2014 11:39 PM, ve3oij@... <mailto:ve3oij@...>
> wrote:
> >
> > Yes, I noticed that. EST is not a time zone that is used in
> Canada or
> > the USA at this time of year, I believe.
> >
> >
> > So if someone in New York publishes a time like 1500 EST on 18
> March,
> > people should be looking for it at 1600 on the clock here in
> Ottawa,
> > because we're all on EDT.
> >
> > 73 de VE3OIJ
> > -Darin
> >
> >
> > ---In 070@... ,
> wrote :
> >
> > John -
> >
> > Do you really mean EST? Did Cherry Valley not go on Daylight
> Savings
> > Time ten days ago like the rest of the state of New York?
> >
> >
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>

cessnaflyer42

"Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so." 73 de NF8I, ~James

I would switch everything in the US to the metric system at the same
time! :-)

KJ4ZNK

*73*

*Virgil*
*KJ4ZNK*

Facebook Ham Page

On 3/20/2014 9:00 PM, Les Alverson wrote:

You just want to cause trouble don't you? ;}

Les
K4LEA 1746

On 3/20/2014 8:56 PM, Virgil - KJ4ZNK wrote:

*Virgil*
*KJ4ZNK*

Facebook Ham Page

virgil -- i've noticed the exact same thing at work (everyone says
"EST" year-round), and drives me crazy! especially since we work with
china, and they don't shift for daylight sayings.
my other time-related pet peeve is servers not being kept sync'd to a
time server .....

and of course everything ham i use UTC ... though my notecard
cheat-sheet for 24x7 slots is local (and i just switched cards for
time change), since that's easier to plan relative to other stuff
(work/sleep/etc).

--david
kj4izw

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 11:52 PM, Virgil - KJ4ZNK <kj4znk@yahoo.com
<mailto:kj4znk@yahoo.com>> wrote:

Maybe, maybe not; in your example NY is on EDT also, so if someone
in NY
says EST this time of year, they probably mean EDT...almost
everyone I
know calls it EST all year, regardless of whether we are on
Standard or
Daylights Savings...

KJ4ZNK

*73*

*Virgil*
*KJ4ZNK*

Facebook Ham Page

On 3/19/2014 11:39 PM, ve3oij@amsat.org <mailto:ve3oij@amsat.org>
wrote:

Yes, I noticed that. EST is not a time zone that is used in
Canada or
the USA at this time of year, I believe.

So if someone in New York publishes a time like 1500 EST on 18
March,
people should be looking for it at 1600 on the clock here in
Ottawa,
because we're all on EDT.

73 de VE3OIJ
-Darin

---In 070@yahoogroups.com <mailto:070@yahoogroups.com>,
<w3hf@...> wrote :

John -

Do you really mean EST? Did Cherry Valley not go on Daylight
Savings
Time ten days ago like the rest of the state of New York?