24 x 7 Finished

Jerry N9AVY

I'm done .  Got 'em all.  But I'm ready to help others who need slots filled.

Jerry  N9AVY

From: John Bower
To: 070@...
Sent: Saturday, January 25, 2014 8:42 PM
Subject: Re: [070] Antenna problem - fixed

Hi Jerry
What spots are you missing?
Maybe we can help each other out some more.
John KE4JB

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 8:45 PM, David Rock <david@...> wrote:

That's great Jerry. Hope you can finish off the 24x7 next week.

--
David, K9DWR

On Jan 25, 2014, at 16:28, Jerry <n9avy@...> wrote:

Looks like the sloper problem is fixed from last night.  Turns out the main run was resting on the snow on roof.  All I had to do was wade through a foot of crunchy snow and raise antenna wire a couple of inches.  Checked antenna SWR  and is now flat or something near it.

Guess the wire and/or dacron cord stretched out.  Anyways, looks like I'm back in business on 160/80/40m.

Jerry  N9AVY   #454

John Bower <poppajohnbower@...>

Congratulations Jerry
I'll be back at them next week
Wish the weather would warm up a bit the trip from the house to the shack in sub zero temps is a bit much!
Maybe I should investigate remote op.
will  see you on the waterfall.
Best wishes John KE4JB

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 9:53 PM, Jerry <n9avy@...> wrote:

I'm done .  Got 'em all.  But I'm ready to help others who need slots filled.

Jerry  N9AVY

Maybe we can help each other out some more.
John KE4JB

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 8:45 PM, David Rock <david@...> wrote:

That's great Jerry. Hope you can finish off the 24x7 next week.

--
David, K9DWR

On Jan 25, 2014, at 16:28, Jerry <n9avy@...> wrote:

Looks like the sloper problem is fixed from last night.  Turns out the main run was resting on the snow on roof.  All I had to do was wade through a foot of crunchy snow and raise antenna wire a couple of inches.  Checked antenna SWR  and is now flat or something near it.

Guess the wire and/or dacron cord stretched out.  Anyways, looks like I'm back in business on 160/80/40m.

Jerry  N9AVY   #454

David Westbrook

Nice job Jerry!! Congrats on 24x7 #5!!

--david
KJ4IZW

[...]

John Netro

Congratulations Jerry!!!!!

I have 40 more to go to get 120 all of my time slots are when i'm a sleep or at work...

I guess I might have to take Vacation days

N9WVM, John

On Saturday, January 25, 2014 9:53 PM, Jerry wrote:

I'm done .  Got 'em all.  But I'm ready to help others who need slots filled.

Jerry  N9AVY

Maybe we can help each other out some more.
John KE4JB

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 8:45 PM, David Rock <david@...> wrote:

That's great Jerry. Hope you can finish off the 24x7 next week.

--
David, K9DWR

On Jan 25, 2014, at 16:28, Jerry <n9avy@...> wrote:

Looks like the sloper problem is fixed from last night.  Turns out the main run was resting on the snow on roof.  All I had to do was wade through a foot of crunchy snow and raise antenna wire a couple of inches.  Checked antenna SWR  and is now flat or something near it.

Guess the wire and/or dacron cord stretched out.  Anyways, looks like I'm back in business on 160/80/40m.

Jerry  N9AVY   #454

Matthew King - AK4MK

Excellent, Jerry!  I was afraid you'd have to delay a week because of the antenna problem.  I'm glad you were able to get your Saturday spots filled and finish it off.

Good job - congratulations!

Matt
KK4CPS
1708

[...]

* Jerry <n9avy@sbcglobal.net> [2014-01-25 18:53]:
I'm done .� Got 'em all.� But I'm ready to help others who need slots filled.
Way to fight through it, Jerry. Congrats on spot #5!

--
David, K9DWR
#1604 LONP #255
david@graniteweb.com

Jerry N9AVY

Knew what problem was as soon as it happened, but wasn't about to run out in cold and dark to tighten up slack on rope.

Was on this morning a bit and managed to help KD0FIP out with one slot. I'll try to help others who need spots filled when I can.

Jerry  N9AVY

Maybe we can help each other out some more.
John KE4JB

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 8:45 PM, David Rock <david@...> wrote:

That's great Jerry. Hope you can finish off the 24x7 next week.

--
David, K9DWR

On Jan 25, 2014, at 16:28, Jerry <n9avy@...> wrote:

Looks like the sloper problem is fixed from last night.  Turns out the main run was resting on the snow on roof.  All I had to do was wade through a foot of crunchy snow and raise antenna wire a couple of inches.  Checked antenna SWR  and is now flat or something near it.

Guess the wire and/or dacron cord stretched out.  Anyways, looks like I'm back in business on 160/80/40m.

Jerry  N9AVY   #454

Dan Morris - KZ3T

Hey Jerry — Well, if it ever warms up and I figure out what antenna to get I hope to get on the air and play some (actually a lot of) catchup!!!   I’m still thinking of the Zero Five vertical from Tom in Ohio.  All the eHam reviews and others plus a few people I have talked to that have that vertical gives it a thumbs up plus 4.9 out of 5 and a 5 out of 5 reviews.  He must be doing something right with that vertical.

I was going to get the 43’ vertical, however, since I work mostly 10 meters when the band is open I think I may get the 29 or 30 footer.   It’ll be a compromise for the lower bands but kind of middle of the road so I can work 10 thru 40.  I’ve never really worked 80M that much so I’m not so much worried about 80.  Between all the other bands I don’t think I’ll have much of a problem where I really need to get on 80 for much.    I’ve got a Cushcraft 10M vertical and if I can talk the wife into putting that one on the back of the house then I may do the 43’ vertical.   OR, I could get the 43’ vertical and just set it up at 30’ and work and if I get the 10M up then I could extend the Zero Five back to 43’.   Hmmmm, that might be an idea.

Anyway, nothing to do until I end up getting an antenna.   Sounds like you all are having a lot of fun and losing a bit of sleep in between!! hihi

Dan Morris   KZ3T

On Jan 26, 2014, at 1:19 PM, Jerry <n9avy@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Dan
I use the Zero Five 43' Vertical and am 100% pleased with it. Had it powder coated in green so it nearly disappears - also seems to project the antenna from ice build up in extreme conditions.
Have about 16 radials total 400 ft.
It is recommended that you run a fair length of Coax to the antenna - mine is approx 100ft from the shack. (haven't got the set up guide with me.
Bought mine used and called Zero Five with some queries support was excellent.
Good Luck
John KE4JB

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 6:17 PM, Dan Morris <dbmorris315@...> wrote:

[...]

Dan:

I recently met the owner of Zero Five and the group I was with had nothing to but good to say about the antenna.

My personal feelings about verticals are inconsequential.  We all put up whatever antenna we have room for and within our budgets.  It's all about adapting to our environment.  If all you can do is a vertical, then so be it. If you have room and budget for tower and rotatable antenna, you do that.

The advantages of verticals is that they seem the require less maintenance than larger arrays. Climbing up a tower to replace a busted rotator in middle of a snowstorm can be a real drag.  Somewhere I have a picture of my yagi during an ice storm with all the elements drooping at 45 degree angles ...maybe steeper.  Had to worry until it warmed up and ice fell off...  not operating until the weather warmed up !

Advantages and disadvantages  ... lots of stuff to consider. Also for those unfortunate to live with HOA's & CC & R's antennas may be a question of what one can sneak past those folks.  I live just outside a local HOA (like 2 houses away) and expected some flak from those folks, but never got any.

Getting any antenna up these days is more challenging than  it was in the past.

Good luck with antennas !

jerry  n9avy

Maybe we can help each other out some more.
John KE4JB

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 8:45 PM, David Rock <david@...> wrote:

That's great Jerry. Hope you can finish off the 24x7 next week.

--
David, K9DWR

On Jan 25, 2014, at 16:28, Jerry <n9avy@...> wrote:

Looks like the sloper problem is fixed from last night.  Turns out the main run was resting on the snow on roof.  All I had to do was wade through a foot of crunchy snow and raise antenna wire a couple of inches.  Checked antenna SWR  and is now flat or something near it.

Guess the wire and/or dacron cord stretched out.  Anyways, looks like I'm back in business on 160/80/40m.

Jerry  N9AVY   #454

Matthew King - AK4MK

Hey, I just noticed that Robert, KD0FIP finished his 24x7 as well.

Congratulations to Robert!

Matt
KK4CPS
1708

[...]

Robert Johnstone

I think I would have been out of luck trying to fill the 24 x 7 blocks before the 10/15/20 grey line reached the Mississippi river without a good  75/80 meter antenna .But I don't have an ocean to bounce near me.
Robert

 KD0FIP 1395

Maybe we can help each other out some more.
John KE4JB

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 8:45 PM, David Rock <david@...> wrote:

That's great Jerry. Hope you can finish off the 24x7 next week.

--
David, K9DWR

On Jan 25, 2014, at 16:28, Jerry <n9avy@...> wrote:

Looks like the sloper problem is fixed from last night.  Turns out the main run was resting on the snow on roof.  All I had to do was wade through a foot of crunchy snow and raise antenna wire a couple of inches.  Checked antenna SWR  and is now flat or something near it.

Guess the wire and/or dacron cord stretched out.  Anyways, looks like I'm back in business on 160/80/40m.

Jerry  N9AVY   #454

Jerry N9AVY

We 've been talking about helping you & others attain this goal as well.

Jerry  N9AVY

Maybe we can help each other out some more.
John KE4JB

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 8:45 PM, David Rock <david@...> wrote:

That's great Jerry. Hope you can finish off the 24x7 next week.

--
David, K9DWR

On Jan 25, 2014, at 16:28, Jerry <n9avy@...> wrote:

Looks like the sloper problem is fixed from last night.  Turns out the main run was resting on the snow on roof.  All I had to do was wade through a foot of crunchy snow and raise antenna wire a couple of inches.  Checked antenna SWR  and is now flat or something near it.

Guess the wire and/or dacron cord stretched out.  Anyways, looks like I'm back in business on 160/80/40m.

Jerry  N9AVY   #454

Matthew King - AK4MK

Well, you got it done, one way or the other!

Good job.  Now hopefully I can finish mine up over the next two mornings... we shall see!

Matt
KK4CPS
1708

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 6:58 PM, Robert Johnstone <shopr3@...> wrote:

[...]

Jeannie Dopson

Ok not to sound like a real dunce and newbie here…..(ok I am but hey try not to sound like it)

What is the 24 X7, I tried looking on the PODXS website, but didn’t see it listed (I know it’s probably there and have over looked it.

Thanks,

Jeannie KF5PDM

[...]

which bands are you planning for 0700 &0800UTC?  my guess was 80 But your choice will try to find you and JB.

Maybe we can help each other out some more.
John KE4JB

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 8:45 PM, David Rock <david@...> wrote:

That's great Jerry. Hope you can finish off the 24x7 next week.

--
David, K9DWR

On Jan 25, 2014, at 16:28, Jerry <n9avy@...> wrote:

Looks like the sloper problem is fixed from last night.  Turns out the main run was resting on the snow on roof.  All I had to do was wade through a foot of crunchy snow and raise antenna wire a couple of inches.  Checked antenna SWR  and is now flat or something near it.

Guess the wire and/or dacron cord stretched out.  Anyways, looks like I'm back in business on 160/80/40m.

Jerry  N9AVY   #454

Jerry N9AVY

Hi Jeannie !

The 24 x 7 award is NOT an 070 endorsement, but one put out by KJ4IZW  for his online log checker.   It's all about working the time slots for each hour of each day (168 slots).  It requires a bunch of contacts in wee small hours, but it's fun to have a go at it !

Jerry  N9AVY   #454

[...]

Jeannie --
you didn't miss it -- it's not listed on the official 070 website :) ...
It's a challenge exclusive to the online endorsement checker:
http://hamclubs.info/070-checker/24x7/

It's automatically updated when you upload to http://hamclubs.info/070-checker/
Which i see that you have done, and have 26 slots filled so far ..
The challenge is to work all 168 "hour-slots" of the week ... e.g. have a Monday-15:xx UTC qso, and Thurs 04:xx UTC, etc.  7 days time 24 hours = 168 slots.

GL!!
And any questions on the endorsement checker (which also checks LONP, WTW, and more!) just email me, on or off the list.  dwestbrook@...

73!
--david
KJ4IZW

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 7:01 PM, <jcdopson@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Jerry!

(going back to my lurking mode and trying not to intrude too often 😊 )

[...]

Thanks David for the info, I will have to take a closer look at the checker.  I have downloaded it and did upload a file just to play around with it 😊