Antenna Tuners

Mark - N8MNI

I am running a TS-2000 in the shack. But mine will not tune my windom on
160M, or 30M. I have been running a Diamond SX-600 meter, and a loaned
Dentron Jr. Monitor Tuner. I am looking to replace this with either the
MFJ-993B, or the LDG KT-100. I would like some user input on these two
tuners. Pro's, Con's, other recommendations.

-

73,

N8MNI
Mark Crosbie
London, Ohio
PODXS 070# 0525
PODXS Clubhouse Barkeep
PODXS Reflector Boss

Subscribe to 070

Subscribe to 070_contest

pegduck56 <pegduck56@...>

Hi Mark, I have the KT-100 and would highly reommend it . Small, compact and efficient and you just use the AT button on the 2000 and you are Golden. If you use the HRD program, you can click on the tune button and tune it. I am able to tune the WARC bands and 80m on my Alpha Delta parallel dipole...Also, LDG has good cust svc

GL, Ted, K7TRK

________________________________
I am running a TS-2000 in the shack. But mine will not tune my windom on
160M, or 30M. I have been running a Diamond SX-600 meter, and a loaned
Dentron Jr. Monitor Tuner. I am looking to replace this with either the
MFJ-993B, or the LDG KT-100. I would like some user input on these two
tuners. Pro's, Con's, other recommendations.

-

73,

N8MNI
Mark Crosbie
London, Ohio
PODXS 070# 0525
PODXS Clubhouse Barkeep
PODXS Reflector Boss

Subscribe to 070

Subscribe to 070_contest

Bob N3PPH <rsheskin@...>

I have a few LDG tuners and have not had any issues with any of them. One
thing to consider, the MFJ does not do 6 meters but your radio does. The
LDG's are 6 to 160 tuners and mine will make my windom work on 6.

73,

Bob N3PPH

I am running a TS-2000 in the shack. But mine will not tune my windom on
160M, or 30M. I have been running a Diamond SX-600 meter, and a loaned
Dentron Jr. Monitor Tuner. I am looking to replace this with either the
MFJ-993B, or the LDG KT-100. I would like some user input on these two
tuners. Pro's, Con's, other recommendations.

-

73,

N8MNI
Mark Crosbie
London, Ohio
PODXS 070# 0525
PODXS Clubhouse Barkeep
PODXS Reflector Boss

Subscribe to 070

Subscribe to 070_contest

pegduck56 <pegduck56@...>

Mark, out of curiosity, looked at the MFJ on line....WOW it is 10" wide (radio is 10.5") The LDG is about 6.5x6.5 and sits nicely on top of the 2000. It has only 1 input but I just use an wall mounted antenna switch to handle HF and my 6m antenna..Also, LDG is +- $100 bucks less.

I'll send you a pix of my set up

GL, Ted

________________________________
[...]

David M (AJ4TF)

I second the LDG. They make a great product. Z11Pro2 is working pretty well in my shack.

--- In 070@yahoogroups.com, Mark Crosbie <N8MNI@...> wrote:

I am running a TS-2000 in the shack. But mine will not tune my windom on
160M, or 30M. I have been running a Diamond SX-600 meter, and a loaned
Dentron Jr. Monitor Tuner. I am looking to replace this with either the
MFJ-993B, or the LDG KT-100. I would like some user input on these two
tuners. Pro's, Con's, other recommendations.

-

73,

N8MNI
Mark Crosbie
London, Ohio
PODXS 070# 0525
PODXS Clubhouse Barkeep
PODXS Reflector Boss

Subscribe to 070

Subscribe to 070_contest

cessnaflyer42

I love my LDG tuner! I had the Z11ProII when I was running barefoot, and I liked it so well, when I bought an amp, I upgraded the tuner to an AT-1000ProII. The LDGs need no rig interface (although you can interface them with certain rigs). They just work!

Good luck!

73 de NF8I,

~James

al7013

Mark

I have an it 100 and it probably could tune a coat hanger I also have a z11 pro 2 at the base of my vertical in an ammo box and I am very pleased with both LDG tuners and the support group on yahoo is very active

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 19, 2013, at 6:01 PM, "Mark Crosbie" <N8MNI@columbus.rr.com> wrote:

I am running a TS-2000 in the shack. But mine will not tune my windom on
160M, or 30M. I have been running a Diamond SX-600 meter, and a loaned
Dentron Jr. Monitor Tuner. I am looking to replace this with either the
MFJ-993B, or the LDG KT-100. I would like some user input on these two
tuners. Pro's, Con's, other recommendations.

-

73,

N8MNI
Mark Crosbie
London, Ohio
PODXS 070# 0525
PODXS Clubhouse Barkeep
PODXS Reflector Boss

Subscribe to 070

Subscribe to 070_contest

Mike Miller <mike.kc9doa@...>

Hi Mark,

I have the 993B and it will tune my 80m OCFD on 160m, but the
loss is so high that my modified 6BTV out performs it hands down
on 160m. The 993B does allow the 6BTV to work a much wider slice
of 160m than I could without it. On 80-10m, the 993B OCFD combo
seems to work reasonably well.

I also have the MFJ-5124K tuner interface that makes the TS-2000
think it has a Kenwood tuner attached. It makes tuning easier
but it isn't mandatory.

The 993B is the only auto tuner I've used, so I can't really say
how it compares with the others on the market.

73
Mike kc9doa

On 19 Mar 2013 at 18:01, Mark Crosbie wrote:

I am running a TS-2000 in the shack. But mine will not tune my
windom on
160M, or 30M. I have been running a Diamond SX-600 meter, and a
loaned
Dentron Jr. Monitor Tuner. I am looking to replace this with
either the
MFJ-993B, or the LDG KT-100. I would like some user input on
these two
tuners. Pro's, Con's, other recommendations.

-

73,

N8MNI
Mark Crosbie
London, Ohio
PODXS 070# 0525
PODXS Clubhouse Barkeep
PODXS Reflector Boss

Subscribe to 070

Subscribe to 070_contest

For the benefit of some of our less technical members, I'd like to say that antenna tuners don't actually tune the antenna.   All the tuner does is to try to match the 50 Ohm impedance of transmitter to what load the coax presents at the transmitter.  There have been some good articles on this subject but I can't recall just where they were.

To be truly effective a tuner would have to be mounted at the antenna feed point and remotely tuned.

So, an antenna tuner is actually fooling the transmitter into thinking it's seeing a 50 ohm impedance and makes the transmitter happy.  It's really a feedline matcher.

Jerry  N9AVY

Larry

"antenna tuners don't actually tune the antenna."  Jerry, say it ain't so!

Since I had always used dipoles, I had never  used a Tuner before, so when I got
my new rig, with built-in tuner and wattmeter, I wanted to see how well my
antenna performed.

Late one nite, I keyed the txmitter at the low end of 20, 1.0:1 SWR, next I tried the
high end of the phone band, 1.0:1. SWR.

I soon became suspicious, I tried loading my xmitter up on different bands using a
20 meter dipole, again a 1.0:1 SWR.

After reading a few articles on tuners, I soon realized my SWR meter was correct
when it said I had a 1:1 SWR while loading into a pencil, and the tuner was doing it's job
by "fooling the transmitter into thinking it's seeing a 50 ohm impedance" (Load).

Larry WA7HDZ #404

For the benefit of some of our less technical members, I'd like to say that antenna tuners don't actually tune the antenna.   All the tuner does is to try to match the 50 Ohm impedance of transmitter to what load the coax presents at the transmitter.  There have been some good articles on this subject but I can't recall just where they were.

To be truly effective a tuner would have to be mounted at the antenna feed point and remotely tuned.

So, an antenna tuner is actually fooling the transmitter into thinking it's seeing a 50 ohm impedance and makes the transmitter happy.  It's really a feedline matcher.

Jerry  N9AVY

Phil Barnett <philb@...>

A bigger problem occurs when a tuner tunes a difficult load and allows your
radio to work. Unless you have either an extremely short feed system or an
extremely efficient feed system, a lot of your intended power gets radiated
as heat when there is a high SWR.

Personally, I dislike OCF antennas because they have such a penchant for RF
in the shack. A center fed dipole with ladder line all the way to the tuner
is a much more efficient way to have a multiband antenna. You still need a
match box, but the system is far more efficient in the face of high SWR.

Take a look at table 1 here:
http://www.w6ier.org/images/The%20Lure%20of%20Ladder%20Line.pdf

It's typical of how much less loss there is in ladder line than coax. And
after all, the ultimate goal is to radiate RF, not heat. And all that loss
in coax is heat, not RF. Yes, ladder line is not as convenient, but it does
get the job done.

I know it's not the question you asked, but you gotta ask yourself, "Do I
want to make my transmitter put out full power and then lose most of it, or
do I want it to radiate?".

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 9:15 PM, Ld Rockne <pops435@yahoo.com> wrote:

[...]

Phil,
Good point! I really had no question, I, in my own warped way, was agreeing with Jerry, N9AVY, on the
subject of tuners.

Tnx for the link to 450 Ohm window line. I currently have a 44' wire fed with 450 Ohm line right into the shack.
However, I still like my dipole, plus I have to do some repair work on the 44'er.

I bought a new antenna, an end-fed, and put it up this weekend. I made 3 contacts (Short), and answered many CQ's,
and called CQ many times, no answer. Listened to myself on my monitor rcvr and it didn't sound good.
So if I have any RF please let me know. I still have some work to do on it including a few wraps of coax.

I don't think this new antenna is going to be the answer to operating all bands, but sometimes there comes
a point where you just want to radiate some power. make contacts, talking to myself gets tiresome
quick!
Larry WA7HDZ

________________________________

For the benefit of some of our less technical members, I'd like to say
that antenna tuners don't actually tune the antenna.  All the tuner does
is to try to match the 50 Ohm impedance of transmitter to what load the
coax presents at the transmitter.  There have been some good articles on
this subject but I can't recall just where they were.

To be truly effective a tuner would have to be mounted at the antenna feed
point and remotely tuned.

So, an antenna tuner is actually fooling the transmitter into thinking
it's seeing a 50 ohm impedance and makes the transmitter happy.  It's
really a feedline matcher.

Jerry  N9AVY

Larry

That should read any RF noise riding on the signal. I hope I'm putting out RF. hi
Larry WA7HDZ

On Mon, 2013-03-25 at 22:15 -0700, Ld Rockne wrote:

That should read any RF noise riding on the signal. I hope I'm putting
out RF. hi
Larry WA7HDZ
Hey... Do I have Audio on my RF? :-D