Eqsl

Jerry N9AVY

Anyone noticed a change in Eqsl verification procedures ?    Seems that they now require you to go back and add time when you do verifications manually.  However, if you upload an ADIF file that won't happen.  They are worried (really ?) about people claiming cards they are not entitled to.

I usually just go back and verify those QSLs which come in via the web site, but now I have that extra step of having to add the time before I can verify the contact.  This is a time waster for me and so I have chosen to dump Eqsl.

If I upload an ADIF file, it will be my entire log because that is the way my logging system works for me .   I doubt that Eqsl wants to see me upload 18,000  +  Q's every day !  My logging program is N3FJP and it only allows the Q's to be uploaded one at a time to Eqsl whereas  LoTW lets me upload in batches from N3FJP.  Daily, I upload about 30-40 Q's.

I have posted to my QRZ pages that I will not accept Eqsls any longer.  Only used Eqsl to verify contacts as a courtesy to others.

Jerry  N9AVY

Joseph Miller <kj8o.ham@...>

I haven't noticed, but then I upload by ADIF.

Have been using AC Log for 4 years, and I create an ADIF file and do a
batch upload. Granted, you go thru a few extra steps to create and save the
ADIF file, but it sure beats uploading them one at a time. Also, if an
incoming eQSL doesn't match with one of your outgoing cards, it gets
highlighted in the inbox.

Not a huge fan of eQSL but I do like that you can track by prefix and
county.

73 de Joe KJ8O 1244

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 2:31 PM, Jerry <n9avy@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

**

[...]

David Westbrook

You should contact the author of N3FJP and ask for a feature of batch
uploading so that you can select a bunch of qso's and it will loop through
the uploads for you.

DXKeeper does a nice job (pretty much push-button) of bulk uploads (of the
appropriate Q's) to LoTW, eQSL, and ClubLog, and also tracks QSL's from
lotw & eqsl. Also handles multiple calls/certs/QTH's, too.

You might also try the eqsl help desk/forums and ask for clarification --
they will probably be responsive.

--david
kj4izw

[...]

David :

Went right to one of the Eqsl board members and I didn't get an answer.  It was more like upload by ADIF or go scratch.  Should have expected that from him.

They're trying to make Eqsl "more secure".  All they have to do is look at what LoTW does to secure contacts from being bogus.  Their idea about filling in the "time of contact" is full of holes and won't stop anyone from logging an "undeserved contact".

I tend to not want to fool with adding features to software and leave that for guys like you who know what they're doing.

Jerry  N9AVY

[...]

Actually, the programmer in me absolutely agrees with that ... Everyone
(especially in the digi modes world!) should be using logging programs
(which then use standard mechanisms) to bulk upload & manage lotw/eqsl/etc.
It's much more robust and much more efficient for a win-win on both sides
of the transport. Moving lots of qso data around (for anything -- uploads,
qsls, contests, awards, etc) in custom/undefined/non-robust formats and/or
in manual ways is just not ideal -- that's exactly why ADIF was created.

"I tend to not want to fool with adding features to software and leave that
for guys like you who know what they're doing."

And that would be the author of your logger that isn't providing you with
enough functionality -- definitely let him know, or ask in a n3fjp group
how others deal with it ... From your description (i'm not familiar enough
with the logger itself), it sounds like the problem here isn't on the eqsl
side so much as it is on your logger side -- if the logger did the bulk
uploads for you (as opposed to manually uploading Q's individually), sounds
like you'd be all set.

73
--david
kj4izw

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 3:00 PM, Jerry <n9avy@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

**

[...]

Dan Morris - KZ3T

I have asked the author of N3FJP several times as well as other people and he says that eQSL does not want batch uploads or something similar to that. I'm not sure why since it is done by other programs.

Dan Morris KZ3T
dbmorris315@gmail.com

On Feb 12, 2013, at 2:43 PM, David Westbrook wrote:

[...]

Just sent an email off the N3FJP.  That answer about batch files seems like he's trying to avoid work.  If I upload my 18,000 +  ADIF file every day this would probably cause Eqsl bigger problems.  Let's see what I get back from N3FJP....

Jerry  n9avy

From: Dan Morris <dbmorris315@gmail.com>
To: 070@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 2:39 PM

[...]

al7013

In his 3.3 release you can export selected records to an adif file. Highlight the records you want to upload which effectively is a batch upload from n3fjp program.

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 12, 2013, at 3:54 PM, "David Westbrook" <dwestbrook@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Why didn't he tell me this in his email ?????   N3FJP is a robot response ???

Jerry  N9AVY

From: Allen Yudichak k2afy@hotmail.com>
To: "070@yahoogroups.com" 070@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 3:01 PM

[...]

In DXKeeper (free, btw), it tracks the eqsl QSL status, and can hit 1
button to selected all the QSO's not yet uploaded to eqsl, and 1 button to
bulk-upload them. And optionally 1 more button to grab newly confirmed
QSL's from eqsl and update the local log. Same workflow for LoTW.

Does N3FJP not have an option to automatically upload each qso as it is
logged? DXK and HRD both do.
Sounds like having a feature like that in N3FJP would solve your issues as
well ... Maybe ask the author/support group about that as well?

--david
kj4izw

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 4:04 PM, Jerry <n9avy@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

**

Why didn't he tell me this in his email ????? N3FJP is a robot response
???

Jerry N9AVY

wrote:

Even if it's just single uploads, the N3FJP logger could simply
automatically do 50 (or whatever) single uploads in a row, instead of the
user having to do to single uploads 50 times via mouse clicks or
whatever.

e.g. DXKeeper does uploading of an entire set of QSO's to eQSL with a
single button push.
And eQSL does take batch uploads in the form of ADIF:
http://www.eqsl.cc/qslcard/enterADIF.cfm
--david
KJ4IZW
On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 3:39 PM, Dan Morris dbmorris315@gmail.com>

**

--

[...]

Hadn't noticed this page on eqsl before:
http://www.eqsl.cc/qslcard/ADIFLoggerInfo.cfm

LOTS of good info and stats on a slew of different loggers!

--david
kj4izw

wrote:

Even if it's just single uploads, the N3FJP logger could simply
automatically do 50 (or whatever) single uploads in a row, instead of
the

user having to do to single uploads 50 times via mouse clicks or
whatever.

e.g. DXKeeper does uploading of an entire set of QSO's to eQSL with a
single button push.
And eQSL does take batch uploads in the form of ADIF:
http://www.eqsl.cc/qslcard/enterADIF.cfm
--david
KJ4IZW
On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 3:39 PM, Dan Morris dbmorris315@gmail.com>
wrote:

**
[...]

Here's the answer I received from N3FJC :

"  Regarding ADIF export, you can just export the new contacts.

73, Scott

N3FJP

http://www.n3fjp.com

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.  "

Looks like I may have to finally go to DX Keeper as many of my DX friends have suggested.  I really hate getting used to new software, but guess I don't have other options.

Jerry  n9avy

wrote:

Even if it's just single uploads, the N3FJP logger could simply
automatically do 50 (or whatever) single uploads in a row, instead of the
user having to do to single uploads 50 times via mouse clicks or
whatever.

e.g. DXKeeper does uploading of an entire set of QSO's to eQSL with a
single button push.
And eQSL does take batch uploads in the form of ADIF:
http://www.eqsl.cc/qslcard/enterADIF.cfm
--david
KJ4IZW
On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 3:39 PM, Dan Morris dbmorris315@gmail.com>
wrote:

**
[...]

Oops, that was the second response.  Here is first response :

Thanks for your e-mail.  The eQSL folks specifically asked me to
limit uploads to eQSL to one at a time from within the program.  They
want bulk uploads done the "regular" way (by ADIF export).

From: David Westbrook dwestbrook@gmail.com>

To: 070@yahoogroups.com

wrote:
Even if it's just single uploads, the N3FJP logger could simply
automatically do 50 (or whatever) single uploads in a row, instead of the
user having to do to single uploads 50 times via mouse clicks or
whatever.
e.g. DXKeeper does uploading of an entire set of QSO's to eQSL with a
single button push.
And eQSL does take batch uploads in the form of ADIF:
http://www.eqsl.cc/qslcard/enterADIF.cfm
--david
KJ4IZW
On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 3:39 PM, Dan Morris dbmorris315@gmail.com>
wrote:
**
[...]

I'll try again...

In ACLog, if you highlight one QSO, you can click a button to upload to
eQSL. No problem.
If you have say five QSO's and you click on all five, the upload to eQSL
button disappears, so now you have two choices.

1) Upload them individually
2) Create an ADIF from number xxxx to xxxx+4 and save it (note that ACLog
has several choices here). Then you can do an ADIF file upload into eQSL.

Option two comes in quite handy after a contest weekend.

Been doing it this way for four years, and it works for me.

73 de Joe KJ8O 1244

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 4:48 PM, David Westbrook <dwestbrook@gmail.com>wrote:

In DXKeeper (free, btw), it tracks the eqsl QSL status, and can hit 1
button to selected all the QSO's not yet uploaded to eqsl, and 1 button to
bulk-upload them. And optionally 1 more button to grab newly confirmed
QSL's from eqsl and update the local log. Same workflow for LoTW.

Does N3FJP not have an option to automatically upload each qso as it is
logged? DXK and HRD both do.
Sounds like having a feature like that in N3FJP would solve your issues as
well ... Maybe ask the author/support group about that as well?

--david
kj4izw

David Westbrook

Would be nice if the program did option #2 there for you .... Or "live"
uploading as contacts are logged ... Both perfectly reasonable feature
requests... (am i'm obviously guessing, but I would think they would be
pretty easy to implement)

His contact with the eqsl folks maybe outdated, too -- I'm pretty sure DXK
does its bulk uploads as lots of single uploads, and I know (from traffic
on the DXLab reflector) that Dave AA6YQ has worked closely with the eqsl
folks in the past, and wouldn't have implemented something that would have
overburdened the eqsl servers w/out their support.

Jerry -- you could also consider just doing eqsl adif uploads less
frequently, say monthly .. that way less work for you but you still
provide, as you said, the nice couresty service of uploading to eqsl.
Filter on the previous month, export that to ADIF, and upload. You could
also leverage that as backup -- just save those monthly adifs somewhere.
If you do end up giving DXK a try, i'm happy to help (i'm sure there's
other DXLab users here, too), and the dxlab reflector is a really good
resource, too.

--david
KJ4IZW

**

wrote:

In DXKeeper (free, btw), it tracks the eqsl QSL status, and can hit 1
button to selected all the QSO's not yet uploaded to eqsl, and 1 button
bulk-upload them. And optionally 1 more button to grab newly confirmed
QSL's from eqsl and update the local log. Same workflow for LoTW.

Does N3FJP not have an option to automatically upload each qso as it is
logged? DXK and HRD both do.
Sounds like having a feature like that in N3FJP would solve your issues
as
well ... Maybe ask the author/support group about that as well?

--david
kj4izw

It's nice that I've been able to explore options and get input from a few folks here.  Starting to think towards DXKeeper (actually have it on shack computer, but never got started) and have a couple friends who have offered to stop by and get me set up with it.  Looks like what I'll be doing as soon as I can get the time.

Many thanks to all who put up with my rant.

73,  Jerry  N9AVY

wrote:

In DXKeeper (free, btw), it tracks the eqsl QSL status, and can hit 1
button to selected all the QSO's not yet uploaded to eqsl, and 1 button
bulk-upload them. And optionally 1 more button to grab newly confirmed
QSL's from eqsl and update the local log. Same workflow for LoTW.

Does N3FJP not have an option to automatically upload each qso as it is
logged? DXK and HRD both do.
Sounds like having a feature like that in N3FJP would solve your issues
as
well ... Maybe ask the author/support group about that as well?

--david
kj4izw

Mike Flowers

HRD Logbook can be configured to upload each log entry to eQSL.cc
automatically. I think DXKeeper can as well.

I find the eQSL QSLs useful to verify I am in the DX station's log if they
are not LoTW users. Then I know to sent a direct QSL if I need them for a
band slot, etc.

**