From: k8nih40
To: 070@...
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2013 7:42 AM
Subject: [070] software-using and logging

Hi-All- After a great contest,I need direction- Been using MMVARI for my contesting and logging to Gen log- been ok,but did an up-grade B4 the test. Couldn't seem to get a txt print-out that stated all I needed. So,What are others using for tests??? i like the MMVARI,because the 7 macros are right below the waterfall. log is a bit light for contests. Thats the reason for Gen log . TKS,jerry W8KQ

David Westbrook

The scoring utility is looking for <DXCC> (the numeric code) and <STATE>
fields in order to robustly determine S/P/C for multipliers ...

What is your main logger? I recommend importing the contest Q's into your
main logger, and then exporting those contest Q's back to get a good full
ADI file. e.g. HRD and DXKeeper produce very nice & complete ADIF files.

I'm also working on getting the scoring to utility to accommodate a wider
ranger of ADIF (or pseudo-ADIF), including attempting to guess the
dxcc/state from the SPC (not robust -- e.g.
LA/la/norway/Norway/Louisiana), with the SPC coming from the SRX or
SRX_STRING or COMMENT fields. This will probably work ok for PSKFest, but
is not going to work well for the other contests that have a name in the
exchange, becuase then the exchange has a bunch of other stuff in it.

Basically all of the support emails i get from the checker are loggers that
aren't exporting key fields, or producing ADIF that violates the standard
specification.
I get nearly none support questions regarding files generated from DXK or
HRD.

--david
kj4izw

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 10:42 AM, k8nih40 <gsbishop@...> wrote:

**

Hi-All- After a great contest,I need direction- Been using MMVARI for my
contesting and logging to Gen log- been ok,but did an up-grade B4 the test.
Couldn't seem to get a txt print-out that stated all I needed. So,What are
others using for tests??? i like the MMVARI,because the 7 macros are right
below the waterfall. log is a bit light for contests. Thats the reason for
Gen log . TKS,jerry W8KQ

Doc

Hi- Mightt be age <G>,but did di that last year and it worked. So I printed it out and mailed it this am. Main log - n3fjp- In MMVARI, I record the contact ,as to having a ready check for dupes. If I have to go to Gen log,that takes time, HI . Will be looking for the best and easyest way to do this . TKS,for another great contest !1 SDe W8KQ

[...]

-----
No virus found in this message.

Steve Lafferty <smlafferty1@...>

Hi Dave,

I did notice a small error when I tried using your online scoring tool
to score my PSKFEST results. I didn't catch it at first until I
transcribed the log to text and noticed a discrepancy in the number of
states. Out of the paltry 30 QSOs that I logged in the contest, I only
had exchanges from 20 states. However, the tool showed 21 states. I
noticed one of the contacts had a QRZ QTH in a different state then he
gave in the exchange. I was using the beta HRD version 6 and figured it
may have not written the ADIF correctly. I didn't delve too deeply into
the error.

--
73 & Good DX!

Steve - N0LTM

David Westbrook

It's this qso:

<call:5>N4KWO <srx_string:2>FL <state:2>VA <dxcc:3>291 <EOR>

The checker goes with the robust fields of dxcc & state, so it's properly
(according to the data given) counting it as VA, and you didn't have any
other VA's in the log. Since he gave FL as the exchange, I assume it was
portable or 2nd qth, and was actually in Florida, so if you change your QSO
data in HRD from VA to FL and re-upload, it will resolve it.

73!
--david
kj4izw

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 12:07 AM, Steve Lafferty <smlafferty1@...>wrote:

**

Hi Dave,

I did notice a small error when I tried using your online scoring tool
to score my PSKFEST results. I didn't catch it at first until I
transcribed the log to text and noticed a discrepancy in the number of
states. Out of the paltry 30 QSOs that I logged in the contest, I only
had exchanges from 20 states. However, the tool showed 21 states. I
noticed one of the contacts had a QRZ QTH in a different state then he
gave in the exchange. I was using the beta HRD version 6 and figured it
may have not written the ADIF correctly. I didn't delve too deeply into
the error.

--
73 & Good DX!

Steve - N0LTM

boat.anchor <boat.anchor@...>

Steve
Same thing here with NX8G/5
He provides correct info on his QRZ bio but the data that gets auto-loaded is his Ohio data.
Be careful with any callsigns like this because HRD will look at the /5 and insert Cyprus as the country.
regards
Barry

--- In 070@..., Steve Lafferty wrote:

Hi Dave,

I did notice a small error when I tried using your online scoring tool
to score my PSKFEST results. I didn't catch it at first until I
transcribed the log to text and noticed a discrepancy in the number of
states. Out of the paltry 30 QSOs that I logged in the contest, I only
had exchanges from 20 states. However, the tool showed 21 states. I
noticed one of the contacts had a QRZ QTH in a different state then he
gave in the exchange. I was using the beta HRD version 6 and figured it
may have not written the ADIF correctly. I didn't delve too deeply into
the error.

--
73 & Good DX!

Steve - N0LTM

Robert Johnstone

I also have problems with the ADIF file my HRD/DM780 log exports, when I use Davids checker it tells me the entries with errors.
* I then use a software tool called adif master to review the adif file, make corrections to the error in the adif based upon the printout from the logger in hrd and my hand written notes

* I use as a quick check of calls worked etc.

*  I then can export the columns in the adif that I want to send to the contest logger into a comma seperated text file; which I again visually inspect for errors/omissions/duplications.

*  This CSV text file is what I send into the contest as by then it only contains the data required by the contest

*  If the contest master needs more info I can send it later, but I have provided only what the scorers need.

* just my process to clean the data hope it helps. kd0fip 1396
R.A. Johnstone

________________________________

--- In 070@..., Steve Lafferty wrote:

Hi Dave,

I did notice a small error when I tried using your online scoring tool
to score my PSKFEST results. I didn't catch it at first until I
transcribed the log to text and noticed a discrepancy in the number of
states. Out of the paltry 30 QSOs that I logged in the contest, I only
had exchanges from 20 states. However, the tool showed 21 states. I
noticed one of the contacts had a QRZ QTH in a different state then he
gave in the exchange. I was using the beta HRD version 6 and figured it
may have not written the ADIF correctly. I didn't delve too deeply into
the error.

--
73 & Good DX!

Steve - N0LTM

ljl2002@att.net

Hey Robert,

I'm like you.  "Got no tower and got no power". The only difference is about 3.5 watts. HI HI HI.

73
Joe
KA1PPV #1482

--- In 070@..., Steve Lafferty wrote:

Hi Dave,

I did notice a small error when I tried using your online scoring tool
to score my PSKFEST results. I didn't catch it at first until I
transcribed the log to text and noticed a discrepancy in the number of
states. Out of the paltry 30 QSOs that I logged in the contest, I only
had exchanges from 20 states. However, the tool showed 21 states. I
noticed one of the contacts had a QRZ QTH in a different state then he
gave in the exchange. I was using the beta HRD version 6 and figured it
may have not written the ADIF correctly. I didn't delve too deeply into
the error.

--
73 & Good DX!

Steve - N0LTM

Robert Johnstone

Yep Joe rub it in,  If i ever move away from this airport where I can put up something serious for an antenna, I'll have to get me one of those big boy radios that can reduce down to a watt and a half too.  I would like to work some of those guys with the lincoln welder amplifiers with 1.5w and a good log periodic.
I still missed >20 states, so I still don't have 40M mastered yet, but I learned some more about the greyline lord willing there is still next year!.'The challenges make us make ourselves better' 73 kd0fip
R.A. Johnstone

________________________________

--- In 070@..., Steve Lafferty wrote:

Hi Dave,

I did notice a small error when I tried using your online scoring tool
to score my PSKFEST results. I didn't catch it at first until I
transcribed the log to text and noticed a discrepancy in the number of
states. Out of the paltry 30 QSOs that I logged in the contest, I only
had exchanges from 20 states. However, the tool showed 21 states. I
noticed one of the contacts had a QRZ QTH in a different state then he
gave in the exchange. I was using the beta HRD version 6 and figured it
may have not written the ADIF correctly. I didn't delve too deeply into
the error.

--
73 & Good DX!

Steve - N0LTM

Joe ...  not sure that comment is valid for PSK...  "no tower - no power".   PSK is a great low power mode.   I've worked DX and Stateside and many have had less than desirable antennas .  One op was using an indoor vertical in his apartment !

If all the "more watts the better" crowd would learn to operate with 10-40 watts, we could all enjoy PSK.    They all need to review FCC Part 97.313 (a) .

 Jerry  N9AVY

From: Robert Johnstone shopr3@...>

To: "070@..." 070@...>

--- In 070@..., Steve Lafferty wrote:
Hi Dave,
I did notice a small error when I tried using your online scoring tool
to score my PSKFEST results. I didn't catch it at first until I
transcribed the log to text and noticed a discrepancy in the number of
states. Out of the paltry 30 QSOs that I logged in the contest, I only
had exchanges from 20 states. However, the tool showed 21 states. I
noticed one of the contacts had a QRZ QTH in a different state then he
gave in the exchange. I was using the beta HRD version 6 and figured it
may have not written the ADIF correctly. I didn't delve too deeply into
the error.
--
73 & Good DX!
Steve - N0LTM

ljl2002@att.net

It just amazes me still at how far you can go in this mode with practically nothing.

Lincoln welder amplifiers???HI HI  I assume that they put out more than 5 watts. Hi HI

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

--- In 070@..., Steve Lafferty wrote:

Hi Dave,

I did notice a small error when I tried using your online scoring tool
to score my PSKFEST results. I didn't catch it at first until I
transcribed the log to text and noticed a discrepancy in the number of
states. Out of the paltry 30 QSOs that I logged in the contest, I only
had exchanges from 20 states. However, the tool showed 21 states. I
noticed one of the contacts had a QRZ QTH in a different state then he
gave in the exchange. I was using the beta HRD version 6 and figured it
may have not written the ADIF correctly. I didn't delve too deeply into
the error.

--
73 & Good DX!

Steve - N0LTM

ljl2002@att.net

Jerry,
I agree totally.
My first antenna was an aluminum roof ridge vent.  Believe it or not I was able to load it and actually made QSO's with it and 1.5W. (I lived in a condo at the time)  I then installed a homebrew hamstick dipole for 20m in the attic space.  My second QSO was with a Ham in the Ukraine.  It was then that I realized exactly what I wanted to do with my Hamtime.
I moved to the present QTH 5 years ago and put up a modest vertical and have been having a ball ever since.
PSK rocks!

73
Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

--- In 070@..., Steve Lafferty wrote:
Hi Dave,
I did notice a small error when I tried using your online scoring tool
to score my PSKFEST results. I didn't catch it at first until I
transcribed the log to text and noticed a discrepancy in the number of
states. Out of the paltry 30 QSOs that I logged in the contest, I only
had exchanges from 20 states. However, the tool showed 21 states. I
noticed one of the contacts had a QRZ QTH in a different state then he
gave in the exchange. I was using the beta HRD version 6 and figured it
may have not written the ADIF correctly. I didn't delve too deeply into
the error.
--
73 & Good DX!
Steve - N0LTM

Mark Perrin <n7mq@...>

I also have worked a number of hams with attic antennas.

Also, I have worked two hams in retirement or assisted living places, who loaded up some of the rain gutter.

And last year, worked a W1, think was, vacationing in FL, who dropped an end fed wire down the pvc from commode on 3rd floor. Wasn't April 1st, so took the antenna "report" at face value.

Not take much to get on PSK and have a ball.

73, Mark N7MQ

--- In 070@..., Steve Lafferty wrote:
Hi Dave,
I did notice a small error when I tried using your online scoring tool
to score my PSKFEST results. I didn't catch it at first until I
transcribed the log to text and noticed a discrepancy in the number of
states. Out of the paltry 30 QSOs that I logged in the contest, I only
had exchanges from 20 states. However, the tool showed 21 states. I
noticed one of the contacts had a QRZ QTH in a different state then he
gave in the exchange. I was using the beta HRD version 6 and figured it
may have not written the ADIF correctly. I didn't delve too deeply into
the error.
--
73 & Good DX!
Steve - N0LTM

-----
No virus found in this message.

ljl2002@att.net

Hey Mark,

Boy it was a good thing that you were at arms length for that QSO! HI HI HI

Yep.  If you can load it, it will radiate!

73.

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

--- In 070@..., Steve Lafferty wrote:
Hi Dave,
I did notice a small error when I tried using your online scoring tool
to score my PSKFEST results. I didn't catch it at first until I
transcribed the log to text and noticed a discrepancy in the number of
states. Out of the paltry 30 QSOs that I logged in the contest, I only
had exchanges from 20 states. However, the tool showed 21 states. I
noticed one of the contacts had a QRZ QTH in a different state then he
gave in the exchange. I was using the beta HRD version 6 and figured it
may have not written the ADIF correctly. I didn't delve too deeply into
the error.
--
73 & Good DX!
Steve - N0LTM

-----
No virus found in this message.

Our local club had a nice program last night  about one's ham's tower project. He installled a 50 ft. aluminum free standing tower. He traveled from IL to MI to pick up tower and rotor & thrust bearing plates.  By the time he dug hole (6x4x4) , added concrete, hired a crane to lift assembled tower,  installed antennas, installed lightning protection, cored through brick to bring feedlines into shack, added a 2nd thrust bearing plate, and paid for the building permit , he had spent about $8800.

But this guy did all his homework BEFORE he purchased anything.   He knew what his costs would be before hand. Every ham who wants a  should know the cost beforehand.

My "free" tower wasn't so free. I got 38 feet on Rohn 25 from a friend.  But it cost me $100 for a Bobcat with a 3 ft. auger plus an additional $300 for concrete.  Got a deal on a used antenna (Force 12  C3 - $300) and a WARC dipole (Cushcraft D-3W) at a hamfest where I talked the owner down towards end of fest. Of course I still had to spend cash on ground rods ( 3  - 8 ft.), rotor & cable, and of course coax.

The nice thing about PSK is you really don't  *need*  a tower. Verticals and dipoles work well for DX and local alike.  You can get along with a tower unless you have big bucks to spend. If anyone does put up a tower, save yourself a lot of trouble and check local zoning ordinances and whether or no a PERMIT is required.

Jerry  N9AVY

From: Jerry n9avy@...>

To: 070@...

From: ljl2002@... joe_molon@...>

[...]