From: 070@... [mailto:070@...] On Behalf Of
w6qe.milt
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2012 10:09 AM
To: 070@...
Subject: [070] RG8 Co-ax that can be buried?

Guys/Gals,
A bit of technical help please?
Does anyone know of a quality RG8 co-ax that can be buried? I have about a
30' run that goes to my tower. It either has to be buried 4" to 6" under the
lawn, or sleved in 4" pvc pipe with weather heads on each end.
The labor is a big difference for me. (And my gardener)
Looking down the road a bit, it's a huge hassle to do the pvc pipe since the
addition of antenna's to my tower would require a 'fish tape' or strong cord
in the tubing to pull additional co-ax runs through.
Experienced help pls?
Milt.
N6MG
070-650

cessnaflyer42

ABR Industries sells good quality coax rated for direct burial:

https://www.abrind.com/Home/CoaxGuide

73 de NF8I,

~James

--- In 070@..., "w6qe.milt" <n6mg@...> wrote:

Guys/Gals,
A bit of technical help please?
Does anyone know of a quality RG8 co-ax that can be buried? I have about a 30' run that goes to my tower. It either has to be buried 4" to 6" under the lawn, or sleved in 4" pvc pipe with weather heads on each end.
The labor is a big difference for me. (And my gardener)
Looking down the road a bit, it's a huge hassle to do the pvc pipe since the addition of antenna's to my tower would require a 'fish tape' or strong cord in the tubing to pull additional co-ax runs through.
Experienced help pls?
Milt.
N6MG
070-650

Lee A. Ratcliff <lratcliff@...>

I would recommend the Conduit. Go at least twice as big as you think you need. when you put it in, put in runs of good nylon sting from one end of the conduit to the other, and just leave them there. As long as they don’t get tangled, you can pull more runs through later on. Much easier than digging a trench each time you want to add a run of coax.

Lee
KC4ART

Does anyone know of a quality RG8 co-ax that can be buried? I have about a 30' run that goes to my tower. It either has to be buried 4" to 6" under the lawn, or sleved in 4" pvc pipe with weather heads on each end.
The labor is a big difference for me. (And my gardener)
Looking down the road a bit, it's a huge hassle to do the pvc pipe since the addition of antenna's to my tower would require a 'fish tape' or strong cord in the tubing to pull additional co-ax runs through.
Experienced help pls?
Milt.
N6MG
070-650

Karen Russo

They do make a direct burial LMR 400. Ask Janet, she probably has it.

Karen W4KRN

Sent via DroidX2 on Verizon Wireless™

Does anyone know of a quality RG8 co-ax that can be buried? I have about a
30' run that goes to my tower. It either has to be buried 4" to 6" under the
lawn, or sleved in 4" pvc pipe with weather heads on each end.
The labor is a big difference for me. (And my gardener)
Looking down the road a bit, it's a huge hassle to do the pvc pipe since the
addition of antenna's to my tower would require a 'fish tape' or strong cord
in the tubing to pull additional co-ax runs through.
Experienced help pls?
Milt.
N6MG
070-650

LMR400 direct burial is the way to go.   Not all LMR400 is direct burial unless it's specified.  LMR400 has little loss at HF frequencies.  BUT,  it should come with connectors already installed.  The compression connectors are a bit more expensive, but not as much as the tool needed to install connectors (around $400 !).

PVC pipe, if used, should be at least 3-4" in diameter with sweep 90 degree elbows (or two 45 degree elbows) because pulling coax through PVC can be a chore even with pull strings !

Direct burial cable is cheapest route as long as there are no coax nibbling critters in yard !   Also, make sure the path for cable is well known/marked; so, some industrious gardener doesn't plant a bunch of daisies on top of coax ...  had a MATV antenna system in Lake Geneva condo development that was dug up by weekend gardeners who cut right through coax with shovels, etc.

If utilities are underground in your yard, you may want to have J.U.L.I.E. or whatever you have to locate underground AC, cable, etc. Here in Illinois that service is free.  Placing coax too close to underground power wires is not recommended.

Think that covers it.

Jerry  n9avy

From: Robert Johnstone <shopr3@...>
To: "070@..." <070@...>
Date: Thursday, November 8, 2012, 9:43 PM

________________________________
Does anyone know of a quality RG8 co-ax that can be buried? I have about a
30' run that goes to my tower. It either has to be buried 4" to 6" under the
lawn, or sleved in 4" pvc pipe with weather heads on each end.
The labor is a big difference for me. (And my gardener)
Looking down the road a bit, it's a huge hassle to do the pvc pipe since the
addition of antenna's to my tower would require a 'fish tape' or strong cord
in the tubing to pull additional co-ax runs through.
Experienced help pls?
Milt.
N6MG
070-650

Jeff Steinkamp

On 11/08/2012 08:08 AM, w6qe.milt wrote:
Guys/Gals,
A bit of technical help please?
Does anyone know of a quality RG8 co-ax that can be buried? I have about a 30' run that goes to my tower. It either has to be buried 4" to 6" under the lawn, or sleved in 4" pvc pipe with weather heads on each end.
The labor is a big difference for me. (And my gardener)
Looking down the road a bit, it's a huge hassle to do the pvc pipe since the addition of antenna's to my tower would require a 'fish tape' or strong cord in the tubing to pull additional co-ax runs through.
Experienced help pls?
Milt.
N6MG
070-650

Depending on the acid content of your soil, you might be better off, in the long run, to install the run of 4 inch PVC with a chase tape installed for future coax runs.

--
Jeff K. Steinkamp (N7YG)
Tucson, AZ

Arthur Peters <k0acp@...>

For what it's worth, I too concur with the over-engineering - perhaps it
is just the latent EE in my trying to escape ...

I have used LMR400 DB inside a 4" pvc conduit, I have both installed
the runs in the conduit as I built it and I've used nylon drawcord. BTW
that new silicon survival tape makes a great way of temporarily "bonding"
the cord to the coax.

For me, I use Times compression UHF connectors -- available from Tessco.

This is a tad more expensive, but i've never had failure -- aside from a mole/
chipmunk that broke into the buried conduit and chewed the coax -- I could
tell the little rascal by his perm perm ... hi hi

Good luck Milt & please let us know how the project turns out.

73,

Art
070# 1140
LONP # 164
K0ACP@...

On Nov 8, 2012, at 11:38 PM, Jerry wrote:

[...]

Thanks Art, et al
May I ask what you guys are referring to as "compression fittings"?
Crimped?
I have a ton of RG-213-U, double shielded coax here already in long lengths, and some soft LMR-400. There's a stiff LMR-400 and a softer LMR-400.
I guess I need to spend time researching those.
I do know this: I want to make as continuous a run as possible from the shack to the antenna's. Inserting a splice with a barrel connector is loss.
It's so easy to lose a db and so difficult to gain a db.
The only panacea I can come up with is a continuous run.
Milt.
N6MG
070-650

[...]

Milt,

The compression fittings for me are crimp fittings that require a crimping tool:

here are some links to what I use:

for the connector: https://www.tessco.com/products/displayProductInfo.do?sku=419089

for the crimp: https://www.tessco.com/products/displayProductInfo.do?sku=54250

I also splurged and purchased the prep tool which seems to no longer be available;
however here is their new, improved (and more expensive tool...): https://www.tessco.com/products/displayProductInfo.do?sku=315538&eventGroup=4&eventPage=1

here is the cable: http://www.showmecables.com/category/Low-Loss-Bulk-Cable.aspx

I will also include all this disclaimers ... I do not have anything to do with Tessco or or times. ....
73,

Art
070# 1140
LONP # 164
K0ACP@...

On Nov 9, 2012, at 10:36 AM, Milton Garb wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info.
Milt.

Does anyone know of a quality RG8 co-ax that can be buried? I have about
30' run that goes to my tower. It either has to be buried 4" to 6" under
the
lawn, or sleved in 4" pvc pipe with weather heads on each end.
The labor is a big difference for me. (And my gardener)
Looking down the road a bit, it's a huge hassle to do the pvc pipe since
the
addition of antenna's to my tower would require a 'fish tape' or strong
cord
in the tubing to pull additional co-ax runs through.
Experienced help pls?
Milt.
N6MG
070-650

Ross Primrose <n4rp@...>

Frank, W3LPL, who has one of the biggest contest stations on the east
coast, recommends Davis BuryFlex in his presentations at Contest
University...

73, Ross N4RP

On 11/8/2012 10:08 AM, w6qe.milt wrote:

Guys/Gals,
A bit of technical help please?
Does anyone know of a quality RG8 co-ax that can be buried? I have
about a 30' run that goes to my tower. It either has to be buried 4"
to 6" under the lawn, or sleved in 4" pvc pipe with weather heads on
each end.
The labor is a big difference for me. (And my gardener)
Looking down the road a bit, it's a huge hassle to do the pvc pipe
since the addition of antenna's to my tower would require a 'fish
tape' or strong cord in the tubing to pull additional co-ax runs through.
Experienced help pls?
Milt.
N6MG
070-650

--
FCC Section 97.313(a) "At all times, an amateur station must use the minimum transmitter power necessary to carry out the desired communications."

Mark - N8MNI

I used 3" Schedule 40 PVC to run my coax through into the house. I used
this box in 12"x12"x6"
http://www.carlonsales.com/techinfo/brochures/conduit/Junction_Boxes_Brochure.pdf
Inside the box is my lightning protectors connected to a copper bar,
then 18" run to 8' ground rod. I have 5 runs of LMR400 into the shack.
The reason I installed this set up is due to a direct lightning strike I
took in 2007. The lightning hit my G5RV, an down the coax, then where
the coax curved along the house. The lightning blew out the side of the
coax, skipped across the attic to a ceiling light, then followed the
electric line in the house back to the outlet in the wall and blew the
outlet.

N8MNI
Mark Crosbie
London, Ohio
PODXS 070# 0525
PODXS Clubhouse Barkeep
PODXS Reflector Boss

Jerry Schempp-- WA0HPN <wa0hpn@...>

The conduit is a good idea, but be aware. When I did this at a former
employment, the first couple of runs went in fine, then the rope or fish
started to wrap around the coax. made for very very hard pulls. Also,
be careful that you don't put too many bends in the conduit. If you
have two 90's you may be ok, but any more than that, you will start
pulling against the conduit and it will be almost (not quite) impossible
to get another run through it.
--
*Jerry Schempp WAØHPN Bismarck, ND *

http://www.eQSL.cc/Member.cfm?WA0HPN

Care must be taken on number of bends... simple math ...2 x  90 degree bend =  180 degrees; so you're almost pulling cable back towards you.   With 4 90 degree bends you'll be pulling in a circle.

The idea is to avoid 90 degree bends and use 45 degree bends which are gentler.  Sharp angles make for tough pulling.

Absolutely correct on pull strings/ropes... they will wind around cable at times.

Jerry N9AVY