From: Karen Russo
To: 070 PSK Club
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2012 7:34 AM
Subject: [070] Going APE?

Hi all,

Anyone else planning an APE this summer? Please let me know, so we can get you on the list. So far I have WA3WSJ,
W5WF, and KD8LAV. If I missed anyone please resend your info.

Thanks, 73 – Karen W4KRN

W7RIV

I am looking to go APE as well. I had a date and location locked down and I
recently got booted from the location I was going to operate. I'll let you
know as well as we get a little closer, my guess is later in the month for
me.

- -
73, Bryon (W7RIV)

David Westbrook

I definitely plan to again this year! location will be Charleston, SC
(EM92xu; Charleston County) .. dates TBD. bands limited to 17/20/40
(hamsticks).

--david
KJ4IZW

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 10:34 AM, Karen Russo <w4krn@his.com> wrote:

**

Hi all,

Anyone else planning an APE this summer? Please let me know, so we can get
you on the list. So far I have WA3WSJ,
W5WF, and KD8LAV. If I missed anyone please resend your info.

Thanks, 73 Karen W4KRN

W7RIV

David,

How do your hamsticks work? I picked up a couple. Also picked up the dipole
mounting bracket. I really haven't had a chance to use them though. How
high do you get them? Do you do anything special? I would be interested in
anything you have to share.

Thank you,

- -
Bryon

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 8:59 AM, David Westbrook <dwestbrook@gmail.com>wrote:

I definitely plan to again this year! location will be Charleston, SC
(EM92xu; Charleston County) .. dates TBD. bands limited to 17/20/40
(hamsticks).

--david
KJ4IZW

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 10:34 AM, Karen Russo <w4krn@his.com> wrote:

**

Hi all,

Anyone else planning an APE this summer? Please let me know, so we can
get
you on the list. So far I have WA3WSJ,
W5WF, and KD8LAV. If I missed anyone please resend your info.

Thanks, 73 Karen W4KRN

David Westbrook

I have some info on my 2011 APE writeup on
http://www.podxs070.com/ape-tall-tales-2011

Nothing special here -- i've used them mounted to the hitch of the car, so
not high at all! and i also tried it out just putting it on top of a 6
foot wood fence, and then used a 12 ft jumper cable as a counterpoise (at
first, i connected the jumper to the car, but also seemed to work fine as
just a wire).
so next i might try to get it a little higher (10-12ft on the roof of a
shed) ... The portable QTH is a condo, so can only do temporary stuff on
the little back patio ..
I may try to do the ape as mobile instead of portable, too ... will have to
wait and see if that works out.

Definitely a compromised antenna, but swr is pretty good, and it gets me
out there! And they're great for the price and simplicity of setting them
up (screw the whip into the base, and mount it w/a ground) ...
I've considered getting that "claw" mount for them, too -- seems like it
would be handy.

You will probably be better off than me if you're using two of them as a
dipole ...

I also got the quick-disconnects, so while it's still manual to change
bands, it's really fast.

--david
kj4izw

wrote:
I definitely plan to again this year! location will be Charleston, SC
(EM92xu; Charleston County) .. dates TBD. bands limited to 17/20/40
(hamsticks).

--david
KJ4IZW

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 10:34 AM, Karen Russo <w4krn@his.com> wrote:

**

Hi all,

Anyone else planning an APE this summer? Please let me know, so we can
get
you on the list. So far I have WA3WSJ,
W5WF, and KD8LAV. If I missed anyone please resend your info.

Thanks, 73 Karen W4KRN

W7RIV

Thank you for the response. Can you send me a link or image of the quick
disconnects you are talking about?

- -
Bryon

wrote:
I definitely plan to again this year! location will be Charleston, SC
(EM92xu; Charleston County) .. dates TBD. bands limited to 17/20/40
(hamsticks).

--david
KJ4IZW

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 10:34 AM, Karen Russo <w4krn@his.com> wrote:

**

Hi all,

Anyone else planning an APE this summer? Please let me know, so we
can
get
you on the list. So far I have WA3WSJ,
W5WF, and KD8LAV. If I missed anyone please resend your info.

Thanks, 73 Karen W4KRN

David Westbrook

I got mine (and hamsticks) from High Sierra:
http://www.hamcq.com/antenna-and-mounts-for-hf-vhf-uhf-scanner-handheld/quick-disconnects-for-whips/cat_137.html

And here's more related stuff from them, including mounts (that "jaws" one,
and fixed ones, hitch ones, etc):
http://www.hamcq.com/antenna-and-mounts-for-hf-vhf-uhf-scanner-handheld/antenna-mounts-with-a-3/8-24-thread-for-hustler-hamstick-and-most-mobile-antennas/cat_22.html

--david
kj4izw

wrote:
I definitely plan to again this year! location will be Charleston,
SC
(EM92xu; Charleston County) .. dates TBD. bands limited to 17/20/40
(hamsticks).

--david
KJ4IZW

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 10:34 AM, Karen Russo <w4krn@his.com> wrote:

**

Hi all,

Anyone else planning an APE this summer? Please let me know, so we
can
get
you on the list. So far I have WA3WSJ,
W5WF, and KD8LAV. If I missed anyone please resend your info.

Thanks, 73 Karen W4KRN

Frank Kisselbach

No more Melita Island for me, so I won't be going APE.

Frank W7PAQ

Frank, after working you for several years in a row from the Boy Scout encampment, your APE will be missed by 070'rs and the BSA also. Thanks for the many contacts!
Milt.
N6MG
070-650

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 16, 2012, at 10:44 AM, "Frank Kisselbach" <fkissel@centric.net> wrote:

No more Melita Island for me, so I won't be going APE.

Frank W7PAQ

Howard R. Minnichbach

On 7/16/2012 1:44 PM, Frank Kisselbach wrote:

No more Melita Island for me, so I won't be going APE.

Frank W7PAQ

APE ????????

Howard
KC2TYC #1301

--
Howard R. Minnichbach
KC2TYZ

Karen Russo

This is going to put me in Melita Island withdrawal. I might need to ask the bartender for something fill the void.

Karen W4KRN

No more Melita Island for me, so I won't be going APE.

Frank W7PAQ

It's going to be something big, powerful and very strong to fill Frank's absence at Melita Island!
Milt.
N6MG