From: Mike Flowers
To: 070@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, June 29, 2012 7:39 AM
Subject: RE: [070] not long to go

Hi Joe,

It is indeed – and that’s just grid squares such as CM97. When we get down to the sub-square level, say CM97bf, there are 24 X 24 = 576 sub-squares in each grid square and the calculation becomes:

(324 X 100 X 576) X .292 = 5,449,420.8, estimated six-designator grid squares containing some land. Now given that the grid squares are of regular geometric shape and the coastlines are essentially fractals, I would add 10% to this number to account for those sub-squares where a bit of land might be included in an otherwise empty sub-square.

This would bring my estimate up to 5,994,363 – plus 5,637 for all the little islands sprinkled around the globe and I’ll say 6 million sub-squares probably contain some land.

The WAMSSCL ( Worked All Maidenhead Sub-squares Containing Land) Endorsement? That would be really, really big !!

;>)

- 73 de Mike, <http://www.qrz.com/db/K6MKF> K6MKF, <http://www.qrz.com/db/W6NAG> W6NAG, VP <http://www.ncdxc.org/> NCDXC, <http://www.scdr.org/> Dachshund Rescue, <http://www.waiohuli.com/> Maui

From: Mike Flowers <mike.flowers@gmail.com <mailto:mike.flowers%40gmail.com> >
To: "070@yahoogroups.com <mailto:070%40yahoogroups.com> " <070@yahoogroups.com <mailto:070%40yahoogroups.com> >
Date: Friday, June 29, 2012, 12:29 AM

Let's see: 32,400 grid squares (of the CM97 variety), and 29.2% of the earth's surface is land, so 32,400 X .292 = 9,986.4 squares with land ... more or less.

-- Mike Flowers, K6MKF
From my iPhone4

On Jun 28, 2012, at 8:35 PM, "Milton Garb" <n6mg@verizon.net <mailto:n6mg%40verizon.net> > wrote:

> Guys,
> Just out of curiosity, how many grid squares, over land, are there?
> Milt.
> N6MG
> 070-650
> LONP #76
> WOTMC Log Checker
> "???" Boss

Mike Flowers

Sic transit gloria WAMSSCL …

- 73 de Mike, <http://www.qrz.com/db/K6MKF> K6MKF, <http://www.qrz.com/db/W6NAG> W6NAG, VP <http://www.ncdxc.org/> NCDXC, <http://www.scdr.org/> Dachshund Rescue, <http://www.waiohuli.com/> Maui

I say this because of the time differents.
it will be midnight here, but not in the u.s.a.
so will members how live in this part of the
world, get emails of the Biiig event hi hi.
tongue in cheek. 73 ivor m5ply 0292.

delos_byrne

Yes indeed, Milt...just as soon as I get the TS2000 back from Clif it's "Tally Ho", and no cats will be safe! ( I believe that would be a Clowder of cats)! :-)
Delos / NO8R / # 777

Sent from My iPad 3

On Jun 29, 2012, at 10:54 AM, "Milton Garb" <n6mg@verizon.net> wrote:

Joe, Mike and of course Ivor,
Well, without giving away too much information and maintaining the suspense, I have to say that "WAMSSCL" would be bigger.
Our new award, although not that big is very big! It's huge! And very "do-able".
Anybody can do it. All you need to do is to get on the air. You'll see.
Yep, when Delos gets his radio back and on the air, he'll chase this one like a bulldog chasing a cat!
Milt.
N6MG
070-650
LONP #76
WOTMC Log Checker
"???" Boss

I say this because of the time differents.
it will be midnight here, but not in the u.s.a.
so will members how live in this part of the
world, get emails of the Biiig event hi hi.
tongue in cheek. 73 ivor m5ply 0292.

Delos, et al:
I thought you'd bite on that one!
After it's announced, and you've read the Rules and FAQ's, reviewed the 'big picture', so to speak, pls give me your feedback?
I'd like that from everyone. There was a lot of work by the 070 Staff and others on this one for sure.
Milt.
N6MG
070-650
LONP #76
WOTMC Log Checker
"???" Boss

Yes indeed, Milt...just as soon as I get the TS2000 back from Clif it's "Tally Ho", and no cats will be safe! ( I believe that would be a Clowder of cats)! :-)
Delos / NO8R / # 777

Sent from My iPad 3

On Jun 29, 2012, at 10:54 AM, "Milton Garb" <n6mg@verizon.net> wrote:

> Joe, Mike and of course Ivor,
> Well, without giving away too much information and maintaining the suspense, I have to say that "WAMSSCL" would be bigger.
> Our new award, although not that big is very big! It's huge! And very "do-able".
> Anybody can do it. All you need to do is to get on the air. You'll see.
> Yep, when Delos gets his radio back and on the air, he'll chase this one like a bulldog chasing a cat!
> Milt.
> N6MG
> 070-650
> LONP #76
> WOTMC Log Checker
> "???" Boss

ljl2002@att.net

We'll be on it like white on rice!!!!!

Joe
KA1PPV #1482

I say this because of the time differents.
it will be midnight here, but not in the u.s.a.
so will members how live in this part of the
world, get emails of the Biiig event hi hi.
tongue in cheek. 73 ivor m5ply 0292.

ljl2002@att.net

All Hail Cesar!!!

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

I say this because of the time differents.
it will be midnight here, but not in the u.s.a.
so will members how live in this part of the
world, get emails of the Biiig event hi hi.
tongue in cheek. 73 ivor m5ply 0292.

ljl2002@att.net

Delos,

Was that cloudah or chowdah????

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

I say this because of the time differents.
it will be midnight here, but not in the u.s.a.
so will members how live in this part of the
world, get emails of the Biiig event hi hi.
tongue in cheek. 73 ivor m5ply 0292.

delos_byrne

Joe,

Sheldon Cooper on Big Bang Theory says it's a Clowder of cats...ie, more
than one cat. Guess you can tell what I spend my time watching! Just
hope I can get the TS2000 back in time to take part in the festivities!

Delos / NO8R / #777

<javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow('drbyrne@chartermi.net')> >

From: Delos Byrne < drbyrne@chartermi.net
<javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow('drbyrne@chartermi.net')> >
To: " 070@yahoogroups.com
<javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow('070@yahoogroups.com')> " <
070@yahoogroups.com
<javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow('070@yahoogroups.com')> >
Date: Friday, June 29, 2012, 12:45 PM

<javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow('n6mg@verizon.net')> >

<http://www.waiohuli.com/> > Maui
From: 070@yahoogroups.com
<javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow('070@yahoogroups.com')>
[mailto: 070@yahoogroups.com
<javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow('070@yahoogroups.com')> ]
On Behalf Of ljl2002@att.net
<javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow('ljl2002@att.net')> Sent:
<javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow('mike.flowers@gmail.com')>
From: Mike Flowers < mike.flowers@gmail.com
To: " 070@yahoogroups.com
<javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow('m5ply@blueyonder.co.uk')>
From: ivor peters < m5ply@blueyonder.co.uk
<javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow('m5ply@blueyonder.co.uk')>
<mailto:m5ply%40blueyonder.co.uk> > Subject: [070] not long to go To:
070@yahoogroups.com
<javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow('070@yahoogroups.com')>
<mailto:070%40yahoogroups.com> Date: Thursday, June 28, 2012, 12:20
PM
m5ply@blueyonder.co.uk
<javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow('m5ply@blueyonder.co.uk')>
<mailto:m5ply%40blueyonder.co.uk> hi pskers. not long for the
Biiiiiig one now. will the u.k and Europe know first???? I say this
because of the time differents. it will be midnight here, but not in
the u.s.a. so will members how live in this part of the world, get
emails of the Biiig event hi hi. tongue in cheek. 73 ivor m5ply 0292.

<javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow('m5ply@blueyonder.co.uk')>
<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

Delos,
Think BIG!...BIGGER!...and you won't miss anything.
Milt.

From: Delos Byrne < drbyrne@chartermi.net
<javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow('drbyrne@chartermi.net')> >
To: " 070@yahoogroups.com
Date: Friday, June 29, 2012, 12:45 PM

wrote:

> Joe, Mike and of course Ivor, Well, without giving away too much
> information and maintaining the suspense, I have to say that "WAMSSCL"
> would be bigger. Our new award, although not that big is very big!
> It's huge! And very "do-able". Anybody can do it. All you need to do
> is to get on the air. You'll see. Yep, when Delos gets his radio back
> and on the air, he'll chase this one like a bulldog chasing a cat!
> Milt. N6MG 070-650 LONP #76 WOTMC Log Checker "???" Boss
> ----- Original Message ----- From: Mike Flowers To:
> 070@yahoogroups.com

I know.... the first one to a googleplex wins!!!!

GL with the rig!

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

From: Delos Byrne < drbyrne@chartermi.net
<javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow('drbyrne@chartermi.net')> >
To: " 070@yahoogroups.com

From: ivor peters < m5ply@blueyonder.co.uk
[...]

boat.anchor <boat.anchor@...>

Joe
SRI I only eat brown rice.
Barry

--- In 070@yahoogroups.com, "ljl2002@..." <joe_molon@...> wrote:

We'll be on it like white on rice!!!!!

Joe
KA1PPV #1482

I say this because of the time differents.
it will be midnight here, but not in the u.s.a.
so will members how live in this part of the
world, get emails of the Biiig event hi hi.
tongue in cheek. 73 ivor m5ply 0292.

ljl2002@att.net

Where the heck is this thread going??  I think it all started with award anticipation then on to a science class then a discussion of culinary preferences.  I think that it should continue with a discussion of the origin of the Universe.  Zzzzzzzz.......

Joe
KA1PPV # 1482

I say this because of the time differents.
it will be midnight here, but not in the u.s.a.
so will members how live in this part of the
world, get emails of the Biiig event hi hi.
tongue in cheek. 73 ivor m5ply 0292.

My Border Collie just asked me to change the topic to something a little more challenging. Her idea is fractal geometry.
Any takers?
Milt. <-- Owned by the wonder dawg Keli Marie.
N6MG
070-650
LONP #76
WOTMC Log Checker
"???" Boss

From: boat.anchor <boat.anchor@yahoo.ca>
To: 070@yahoogroups.com
Date: Friday, June 29, 2012, 11:10 PM

Joe
SRI I only eat brown rice.
Barry

--- In 070@yahoogroups.com, "ljl2002@..." <joe_molon@...> wrote:

We'll be on it like white on rice!!!!!
Joe
KA1PPV #1482

I say this because of the time differents.
it will be midnight here, but not in the u.s.a.
so will members how live in this part of the
world, get emails of the Biiig event hi hi.
tongue in cheek. 73 ivor m5ply 0292.

m5ply@blueyonder.co.uk
hi pskers.
not long now. 13 hours by my clock.
have fun when it arrives
73 ivor/m5ply/0292

From: Rick Scott <w7psk@yahoo.com>
To: 070@yahoogroups.com
Date: Saturday, June 30, 2012, 1:00 AM

Im betting

5 band WAS

and

5 band DXCC

ljl2002@att.net

Mike,

No. I don't think that is quite correct.

According to my Dachsundia Dictionary the Human words,"Pierre Fatou", translates out to "Do you want to go to the park"? Also in Retreiverese it means, "Do you want a treat"? I know this because my dog is way smarter than I.

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

Where the heck is this thread going?? I think it all started with award anticipation then on to a science class then a discussion of culinary preferences. I think that it should continue with a discussion of the origin of the Universe. Zzzzzzzz.......

Joe
KA1PPV # 1482

I say this because of the time differents.
it will be midnight here, but not in the u.s.a.
so will members how live in this part of the
world, get emails of the Biiig event hi hi.
tongue in cheek. 73 ivor m5ply 0292.

ljl2002@att.net

Milt,

Congrats to Keli on her degree!  That was quite an accomplishment. I'll bet the other dogs wish that they had applied themselves like that.

Lucky for me Ginger decided to major in Ionspheric Propagation.  She lets me know when the best times are to turn on the rig.

One bark - Forget about it. Let's go to the beach.

Two barks - Give it up. Let's go to the beach
and three barks - Let's go to the beach, RIGHT NOW because there is a Geo storm in progress and the HF up to 30 stinks.

That way I know when not to waste my time chasing non-existant DX.  She is so smart!

Joe
KA1PPV # 1482

Where the heck is this thread going?? I think it all started with award anticipation then on to a science class then a discussion of culinary preferences. I think that it should continue with a discussion of the origin of the Universe. Zzzzzzzz.......

Joe
KA1PPV # 1482

I say this because of the time differents.
it will be midnight here, but not in the u.s.a.
so will members how live in this part of the
world, get emails of the Biiig event hi hi.
tongue in cheek. 73 ivor m5ply 0292.

Mike Flowers

That may be, Joe – they do bark in German … ;>)