not long to go

m5ply@blueyonder.co.uk
hi pskers.
not long for the Biiiiiig one now.
will the u.k and Europe know first????
I say this because of the time differents.
it will be midnight here, but not in the u.s.a.
so will members how live in this part of the
world, get emails of the Biiig event hi hi.
tongue in cheek. 73 ivor m5ply 0292.

ljl2002@att.net

Ivor,

No I think that we find out first and youz guys have to wait until it goes all the way around again. HI HI HI .

Maybe we'll all know when the grayline passes the International Dateline.  I'm still holding out for Maidenheads.

Toungue really in cheek!

Best,

Joe
KA1PPV #1482

I say this because of the time differents.
it will be midnight here, but not in the u.s.a.
so will members how live in this part of the
world, get emails of the Biiig event hi hi.
tongue in cheek. 73 ivor m5ply 0292.

Guys,
Just out of curiosity, how many grid squares, over land, are there?
Milt.
N6MG
070-650
LONP #76
WOTMC Log Checker
"???" Boss

I say this because of the time differents.
it will be midnight here, but not in the u.s.a.
so will members how live in this part of the
world, get emails of the Biiig event hi hi.
tongue in cheek. 73 ivor m5ply 0292.

Mike Flowers

Let's see: 32,400 grid squares (of the CM97 variety), and 29.2% of the earth's surface is land, so 32,400 X .292 = 9,986.4 squares with land ... more or less.

-- Mike Flowers, K6MKF
From my iPhone4

On Jun 28, 2012, at 8:35 PM, "Milton Garb" <n6mg@verizon.net> wrote:

Guys,
Just out of curiosity, how many grid squares, over land, are there?
Milt.
N6MG
070-650
LONP #76
WOTMC Log Checker
"???" Boss

Let's see: 32,400 grid squares (of the CM97 variety), and 29.2% of the earth's surface is land, so 32,400 X .292 = 9,986.4 squares with land ... more or less.

-- Mike Flowers, K6MKF
From my iPhone4

On Jun 28, 2012, at 8:35 PM, "Milton Garb" <n6mg@verizon.net> wrote:

> Guys,
> Just out of curiosity, how many grid squares, over land, are there?
> Milt.
> N6MG
> 070-650
> LONP #76
> WOTMC Log Checker
> "???" Boss

Sure, Milt. I started counting them, but fell asleep, so decided this would be quicker ... ;>)

-- Mike Flowers, K6MKF
From my iPhone4

Thanks Mike...

I say this because of the time differents.
it will be midnight here, but not in the u.s.a.
so will members how live in this part of the
world, get emails of the Biiig event hi hi.
tongue in cheek. 73 ivor m5ply 0292.

ljl2002@att.net

That's really big Mike.

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

I say this because of the time differents.
it will be midnight here, but not in the u.s.a.
so will members how live in this part of the
world, get emails of the Biiig event hi hi.
tongue in cheek. 73 ivor m5ply 0292.

Mike Flowers

Hi Joe,

It is indeed – and that’s just grid squares such as CM97. When we get down to the sub-square level, say CM97bf, there are 24 X 24 = 576 sub-squares in each grid square and the calculation becomes:

(324 X 100 X 576) X .292 = 5,449,420.8, estimated six-designator grid squares containing some land. Now given that the grid squares are of regular geometric shape and the coastlines are essentially fractals, I would add 10% to this number to account for those sub-squares where a bit of land might be included in an otherwise empty sub-square.

This would bring my estimate up to 5,994,363 – plus 5,637 for all the little islands sprinkled around the globe and I’ll say 6 million sub-squares probably contain some land.

The WAMSSCL ( Worked All Maidenhead Sub-squares Containing Land) Endorsement? That would be really, really big !!

;>)

- 73 de Mike, <http://www.qrz.com/db/K6MKF> K6MKF, <http://www.qrz.com/db/W6NAG> W6NAG, VP <http://www.ncdxc.org/> NCDXC, <http://www.scdr.org/> Dachshund Rescue, <http://www.waiohuli.com/> Maui

I say this because of the time differents.
it will be midnight here, but not in the u.s.a.
so will members how live in this part of the
world, get emails of the Biiig event hi hi.
tongue in cheek. 73 ivor m5ply 0292.

igwt1939 <igwt1939@...>

I keep reading about something BIG coming up. Have I missed something or has the big thing not been announced yet?
KO4PU #672

Let's see: 32,400 grid squares (of the CM97 variety), and 29.2% of the earth's surface is land, so 32,400 X .292 = 9,986.4 squares with land ... more or less.

-- Mike Flowers, K6MKF
From my iPhone4

On Jun 28, 2012, at 8:35 PM, "Milton Garb" <n6mg@verizon.net <mailto:n6mg%40verizon.net> > wrote:

> Guys,
> Just out of curiosity, how many grid squares, over land, are there?
> Milt.
> N6MG
> 070-650
> LONP #76
> WOTMC Log Checker
> "???" Boss

uhhhhh...my head hurts.

Joe
KA1PPV  # 1482

I say this because of the time differents.
it will be midnight here, but not in the u.s.a.
so will members how live in this part of the
world, get emails of the Biiig event hi hi.
tongue in cheek. 73 ivor m5ply 0292.

Mike Flowers

OK, Joe – I’ll skip the QSO probability as a function of average ham population density per Maidenhead sub-square calculations then … ;>)

- 73 de Mike, <http://www.qrz.com/db/K6MKF> K6MKF, <http://www.qrz.com/db/W6NAG> W6NAG, VP <http://www.ncdxc.org/> NCDXC, <http://www.scdr.org/> Dachshund Rescue, <http://www.waiohuli.com/> Maui

I say this because of the time differents.
it will be midnight here, but not in the u.s.a.
so will members how live in this part of the
world, get emails of the Biiig event hi hi.
tongue in cheek. 73 ivor m5ply 0292.

Steve W3HF

Mike -

But that's the one **I** was waiting for!

--- In 070@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Flowers" <mike.flowers@...> wrote:

OK, Joe I'll skip the QSO probability as a function of average ham population density per Maidenhead sub-square calculations then ;>)

- 73 de Mike, K6MKF

ljl2002@att.net

DUhhhh.......

[...]

What if they were to add a x2 mult for just turing the rig on!!!!!!!!
It wouldn't take a Phd in analytical Geometry to compute the award! (cuz I don't have one of those)

Joe
KA1PPV #1482

From: Mike Flowers <mike.flowers@gmail.com <mailto:mike.flowers%40gmail.com> >
To: 070@yahoogroups.com <mailto:070%40yahoogroups.com>
Date: Friday, June 29, 2012, 7:32 PM

OK, Joe – I’ll skip the QSO probability as a function of average ham population density per Maidenhead sub-square calculations then … ;>)

- 73 de Mike, <http://www.qrz.com/db/K6MKF> K6MKF, <http://www.qrz.com/db/W6NAG> W6NAG, VP <http://www.ncdxc.org/> NCDXC, <http://www.scdr.org/> Dachshund Rescue, <http://www.waiohuli.com/> Maui

I say this because of the time differents.
it will be midnight here, but not in the u.s.a.
so will members how live in this part of the
world, get emails of the Biiig event hi hi.
tongue in cheek. 73 ivor m5ply 0292.

Mike Flowers

They may have that already, Joe. I’m hoping that one of the more talented among us gens up a log checker for this new, big thing – otherwise all our heads are gonna hurt !!

- 73 de Mike, <http://www.qrz.com/db/K6MKF> K6MKF, <http://www.qrz.com/db/W6NAG> W6NAG, VP <http://www.ncdxc.org/> NCDXC, <http://www.scdr.org/> Dachshund Rescue, <http://www.waiohuli.com/> Maui

OK, Joe – I’ll skip the QSO probability as a function of average ham population density per Maidenhead sub-square calculations then … ;>)

- 73 de Mike, <http://www.qrz.com/db/K6MKF> K6MKF, <http://www.qrz.com/db/W6NAG> W6NAG, VP <http://www.ncdxc.org/> NCDXC, <http://www.scdr.org/> Dachshund Rescue, <http://www.waiohuli.com/> Maui

I say this because of the time differents.
it will be midnight here, but not in the u.s.a.
so will members how live in this part of the
world, get emails of the Biiig event hi hi.
tongue in cheek. 73 ivor m5ply 0292.

Mike Flowers

Alas, Steve, I must demur .

Est dividere cuius rei demonstrationem mirabilem sane detexi. Hanc marginis
exiguitas non caperet. - I have discovered a truly marvelous proof of this,
which this margin (email) is too narrow to contain. - Pierre de Fermat

--- In 070@yahoogroups.com <mailto:070%40yahoogroups.com> , "Mike Flowers"
<mike.flowers@...> wrote:

OK, Joe I'll skip the QSO probability as a function of average ham
population density per Maidenhead sub-square calculations then ;>)

- 73 de Mike, K6MKF

Steve W3HF

I just hope that it doesn't take 358 years for someone to solve THIS problem!

Steve

--- In 070@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Flowers" <mike.flowers@...> wrote:

Alas, Steve, I must demur .

Est dividere cuius rei demonstrationem mirabilem sane detexi. Hanc marginis
exiguitas non caperet. - I have discovered a truly marvelous proof of this,
which this margin (email) is too narrow to contain. - Pierre de Fermat

Mike Flowers

Something NEW & BIG starts in:1Days

Just one days, apparently . ;>)

<mike.flowers@...> wrote:

Alas, Steve, I must demur .

Est dividere cuius rei demonstrationem mirabilem sane detexi. Hanc
marginis
exiguitas non caperet. - I have discovered a truly marvelous proof of
this,
which this margin (email) is too narrow to contain. - Pierre de Fermat

Steve W3HF

I meant the QSO probability problem you proposed.

As someone who DOES chase grid squares, I thought it would be interesting.

Steve