Proper adjustment of audio levels for transmit

Test Test Test

----- Original Message -----
From: David
To: 070@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2012 5:20 PM
Subject: [070] Re: Proper adjustment of audio levels for transmit

--- In 070@yahoogroups.com, "David" <aj4tf@...> wrote:

> I'm sure this will start a war, but I don't think this is the right way to do it. I guess everyone has their opinions.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3CwHaX7t5M

What I meant was, I believe the method described in the video above is correct, and the method described below is not.

> --- In 070@yahoogroups.com, Ld Rockne <pops435@> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> > After reading all the posts on the above topic, I started to re-adjust my levels.
> > Made a couple contacts with folks who said my sig was good, but could not raise
> > VK or ZL land.
> >
> > So, after attempting all this, I decided to look at the PODXS file's to see if there was a tutorial
> > on adjusting levels. VE3OIJ posted one, and it indicated that the way I had been running my levels were correct. i.e. RF power out (on the xmitter) to 100% (100Watts).
> > I adjusted my Signalink TX level to 20 Watts, as measured on my Wattmeter. Note: My RF out is still set at 100%. My IMD Meter reads -34 db.
> >
> > I am calling CQ on 20mMeters right now, so if my sig is bad please let me know now.
> > Because I will be doing the TDW thing in a couple hrs.
> >
> > TU & 73, Larry WA7HDZ #404
> >

> > ________________________________

Larry

Hi David,
I think the "R.F. adjustment" is a confusing issue. On the Jupiter, I have
an adjustment that varies my R.F. from 0-100 Watts. However, it does
not put out 100 Watts in PSK. Its much like an amplifier in this regard,
0 audio drive = 0 Watts out. So I adjust the audio drive to obtain my desired
out as read on my Wattmeter.

I think the reason that 'Ham', I worked so many years ago, told me to leave
the 'Power adjust' at 100 Watts is he knew it would keep me out of the ALC range.

Haven't had much luck in the contest, so still missing a piece of the puzzle.

Tnx David,
Larry WA7HDZ #404