Tips on how to work DX from a DX station

Steve W3HF

After a week of being semi-rare DX, I offer the following suggestions, with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

1. When you are responding to my CQ, repeat MY callsign at least 2 or 3 times, so I know you're responding to me.

2. If I respond to someone else, go ahead and call me again, because I probably didn't hear you correctly and surely I MEANT to call YOU.

3. Feel free to give me your name, QTH and signal report when you first call me, instead of waiting to see if I respond to you. After all, it might save YOU a few seconds; it doesn't matter if you waste my time or QRM other stations.

4. When I give you a quick signal report only, make sure you use your regular "response" macro that welcomes me to your screen, tells me all your QTH details (like your county), your equipment information (OS version, how much RAM in your computer, what microphone and headset you use), and your license history. After all, I probably want to know all that even if I just want a short QSO.

5. Ignore me if I ask you to work split. That's really so everyone ELSE will get out of YOUR way.

6. You can also ignore me if I ask you to repeat just your callsign. Just use your 3x3 macro.

7. When the QSO is over, please use your usual macro that not only thanks me but hopes to see me again, wishes me good luck and good DX, and sends greetings to my family, my cats, my neighbors and the mailman. After all, courtesy is important.

8. Don't forget to tell me YOUR QSL policy, because I will surely want YOUR card.

9. Once I say 73 to you and move on to another CQ or QRZ?, make sure you send your own 73, bye bye, and greetings to me. I really want to hear that, not the next guy calling me.

Seriously, all these things happened to me at least once this week. And it's frustrating as can be when my objective is to put as many callsigns in my log as I can. So here's the real list:

1. Don't use your regular ragchewing macros to work a DXpedition. What, you don't have any others? Either make some, or skip the macros completely.

2. Emphasize using your own call, not the DX station's. He already knows his call; he needs to hear yours.

3. Don't give him more info than he gives you. If he wants a quickie QSO, oblige him. If you don't like quickie QSOs, then skip it completely instead of forcing your protocols on him. Or wait until you find a DX station that WANTS to ragchew.

4. Once he moves on, don't transmit any more UNLESS he logged you incorrectly.

5. Follow his instructions. Exactly, to the best of your ability. Because he'll expect you to if you want to get in his log.

Steve
W3HF/KH2 (for 6 more days)

Patrick Weatherford <patricknw@...>

Steve,

I was amused to read this first thing this morning. You could also call
this the "Tips on how to work stations in a contest" as the same thing
happens there.

I distinctly remember working a contest a while back and I gave the
other guy a quick "599 AR" report.... I had a big pileup going. He
responds with a macro that lasted a solid EIGHT MINUTES about his
keyboard being "horizontally polarized" and about having a 19 inch LCD
monitor, 8 gigs of RAM, and a TB hard drive with 20% of the space used.
Very frustrating.

The best part is point #1.... I see stations give MY call sign three,
four, even five times, and theirs only once. I often respond with "yes,
I know my own callsign."

Have fun out there in KH2. It's on my bucket list!

Patrick
AE5PW

On 4/23/2012 7:42 AM, melachri wrote:

[...]

Charlie Trice, K8IJ <ctrice@...>

I didn't know you had cats, OM Steve!

Vy 73,

Charlie, K8IJ

[...]

M. Schiefelbein

It seems like it would good practice for anyone who's a regular on PSK to have two macros preprogrammed. (I'm using the DM780 format for these, but it should be easy to translate to other programs)

1. Answer the DX:
<his:callsign> de <my:callsign> <my:callsign> <my:callsign> k<stop>
or even just
de <my:callsign> <my:callsign> <my:callsign> k<stop>

2. Give a report and get out of the way:
<his:callsign> 599 599 TU 73 de <my:callsign> SK<add-log><stop>

Two macros, and you've answered the DX, given him a report, wished him well, and added the QSO to your log, all in the space of 60 seconds. Even if you don't normally chase DX, if someday you see Bhutan CQing on the waterfall and decide to give them a call, you'll be ready. And you won't have to frantically type by hand or subject the rest of us in the pileup (and the DX) to your normal macro with city/state, grid square, etc.

--mark/K0ABC

#3 is certainly a pet peeve of mine. What's so difficult about waiting for a station, (DX or not) to acknowledge your call BEFORE you come back with your exchange?
Milt.
N6MG

[...]

ljl2002@att.net

Steve,

Bravo!  Well said!

Any idea how many hours I've spent in the queue waiting for someone to give their life history and that of their operating career/weather/equipment?  It sure is frustrating on this end too especially when you see the band beginning to fade and you know that you are just not going to get your chance.

Thank you for humorously stating what should be the obvious.

Joe
KA1PPV #1482

[...]

Patrick,

You gotta be kiddin me!

Joe
KA1PPV #1482

[...]

Mark,

That's the way to do it.  I also use a short and long version and I customize the short one for the particular DX/Test that I am working.

It works much better that way for the DX,contact and all those of us waiting in the queue.

Joe
KA1PPV # 1482

[...]

I use MixW, and use the K1PGV stand alone macro's as a supplement to the 12 MixW icons. I have the stand alone macro program installed in different places on my hard drive as well as in the main MixW folder which gives me the ability to have several copies running for contests, band changing, different psk and qpsk speeds as well as macro's just for quick exchanges for rtty dx and psk dx, etc.
Works for me.
Milt.
N6MG
070-650

[...]

boat.anchor <boat.anchor@...>

Steve
It was with great humour that I read this until I realized I am one of the guilty ones on item 1. I do apologize and appreciate you pointing it out. My DX Macro set has been tuned up.
All the best and enjoy your time there.
BTW Danny's callsign is in my log a few times as well. Say Hi to him please.
best regards
Barry
VA7GEM

--- In 070@yahoogroups.com, "melachri" <w3hf@...> wrote:

After a week of being semi-rare DX, I offer the following suggestions, with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

1. When you are responding to my CQ, repeat MY callsign at least 2 or 3 times, so I know you're responding to me.

Joseph Miller <radiodxer2000@...>

Hi Steve and the group,

5. Ignore me if I ask you to work split. That's really so everyone ELSE will get out of YOUR way.

I wished more DXpeditions would use split frequencies when working PSK31. I can say that there are always a few "tailgaters" who do not realize that they may be interfering with a call intended for someone else.  This happened to me a few times this year, once when the tailgaters were finished, all I saw on the waterfall was "KJ8O de XXXXXX pse KN".

And I am guilty of it too, but I think if we all work together, more people will get their chance to work the DX stations.

Ok, I'll step down from the soapbox....

Thanks for the great job you're doing, Steve.

VY 73 de Joe KJ8O 1244

And I am guilty of it too

Scotty W7PSK

--- In 070@yahoogroups.com, Jim Innis <jinnis@...> wrote:

[...]

Wow Jim, Talk about bringing back memories. Former VQ9RS (Aug-Dec 1980) I had the same issues. I used to rag Chew with a ZS, A9 and A6 back in the day. It was amazing how many Rude ops would break the pile when we just wanted to chat.

Did they have the BAD List still there? We used to keep a list of Dont ever QSL at the 2 operating stations. We compared the log to that list (Time consuming if you ran a pile) but before I sent the logs to my manager Id check the list. I also Noted bad OPS in my log and Lyle (N6BLN) my manager would send the card back with a note that stated due to your poor operating practices you would not be getting a card and that you had made the VQ9 Do not QSL list. Amazing the long appolgy letters we got.

Anyway, I would always start my piles with a Rule list of what I expected. If those rules were not followed I would leave. It was amazing after a couple days of that how the Word got around the DX nets of the 80s that when I was on you best follow the rules or I would quit.

Yea I was a jerk, but my Work Rates were 10-15 a minute :).

Scotty W7PSK

Daniel Severance

One tactic for dealing with the loud rude stations would be to work them so they go away, but NIL...

Cheers,
Dan

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

Lee A. Ratcliff <lratcliff@...>

And then not log him ;)

One tactic for dealing with the loud rude stations would be to work them so they go away, but NIL...

Cheers,
Dan

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

Scotty, I think that list originated during my tour. The BritRep at the
time would not let us get a VQ9 call. I dont think he knew how, as it
was shortly after the Seychelles separated from Brit Empire. I was there
1976-77 as Tech Control Supervisor, then to Training PO for the
Commsta/Chief Op of the Mars Station. (our CO was island commander, and
we took it over from the CB's then and put me over there). First thing I
did was shut down the station, took down and cleaned/tightened loose
elements on the antlers, and aligned all the gear. That 90 foot
freestanding tower was erected on my watch there. Once we got that
thing up with all that height and those elements, we could hear stations
from all over. A friend of mine K6JMZ was a warrant ham that was there
at the same time I was. We had a ball, and had some no qsl lists also.

Jim K5SP

On 4/24/2012 12:33 PM, w7psk wrote:

--- In 070@yahoogroups.com <mailto:070%40yahoogroups.com>, Jim Innis