A moment of silence, please...

Charlie Trice, K8IJ <ctrice@...>

Greetings all,

I am happy to report the successful March mailing of PODXS Ø7Ø Club enodorsement and LONP stickers. However, I do bring sad, sad news in contrast to the good news of the mailing.

For many years I have handled the endorsements for our fine Club. And for the past, oh - 5 years or so, have used a Silver Shoe Box, the "SSB" as I affectionately called it, to hold the members' envelopes. Today I must report the passing of the SSB.

"He" (the SSB) had been showing some signs of wear lately. He'd been glued, stapled, heck - I used some good ol' duct tape on 'im, too. But today was his last hoo-rah. We made the run to the Alexandria, KY Post Office hoping to find Dorothy behind the counter. She wasn't there today, but Jason was. Jason is a nice young man, always friendly and cheerful.

I transferred the precious contents of the SSB into Jason's waiting hands, fully trusting him with all the spoils of our membership's on-the-air labors over the past 3 months. Jason treated the many small white envelopes with the utmost of respect and care. And then he noticed the SSB.

"Say Charlie, your box is looking really ratty", Jason said somberly.

I nodded and rubbed the side of the SSB. And then I knew. It was time. Time to let him go. He had lived a fine, fine life. Not a life just as his original intent, but one with a higher purpose - working for the PODXS Ø7Ø Club's membership. He will be missed.

Jason, a member of the choir at church, saw a wee tear in me eye and had a few comforting words. (He's dating the choir director and now has to be a member of the choir.)

Well - enough of the sadness, on to the gladness: the March Mailing is on the way! If, after a few days, you don't receive what you were expecting, please drop me an email directly to k8ij@arrl.net and I'll fix you up and offer a big apology.

The Endorsements/LONP Inbox will be closed for about a week as I rocket off on business then return to restock for the next quarter.

When you receive your small white envelope you might consider a brief "Long live the SSB!"

Vy 73,

Charlie, K8IJ

To the SSB: R I P our friend.
You were definitely my friend, and always delivered smiles to the many.
There just comes a point where even 100 mph duct tape can't postpone the inevitable.
Charlie, I hope you recycled our friend so that "he/she" can, in some part, always remain with us?
Or perhaps, in an ERN prominently displayed in the 070 Clubhouse? Something to be passed around amongst Top Dawg's?
Maybe even, a 1500 member "Silver Shoe Box 1500 070 Members Celebratory 24 Hour Medley"?
Just my thoughts. in an emotional moment.
Milt.
N6MG
070-650
LONP #76

[...]

And, just one more thought?
Mark, we need a special drink to toast the SSB pls?
Milt.
N6MG

[...]

Bill Williams <bill.ag4qx@...>

Charlie,

I am saddened by the passing of the SSB. Please accept my most condolences. I realize the hunt for a suitable replacement will be emotional and take much time and soul searching but if you find something close you must block out sentiment and get on with your life … and our awards.

I know there is no financial level that could compensate you for your loss but I will gladly make a donation to the SSB replacement fund. I will send the normal donation to cover the expenses and add some for a replacement SSB.

Thank you for all you do.

73,

Bill

AG4QX

Well - enough of the sadness, on to the gladness: the March Mailing is on the way! If, after a few days, you don't receive what you were expecting, please drop me an email directly to k8ij@arrl.net <mailto:k8ij%40arrl.net> and I'll fix you up and offer a big apology.

The Endorsements/LONP Inbox will be closed for about a week as I rocket off on business then return to restock for the next quarter.

When you receive your small white envelope you might consider a brief "Long live the SSB!"

Vy 73,

Charlie, K8IJ

_____

No virus found in this message.

_____

No virus found in this message.

K5PAX

Charlie:

For a successor, you might try a Ruby Slipper Box. I mean, it is Dorothy at the Post Office, isn't it?

73

Harvey
K5PAX

Well - enough of the sadness, on to the gladness: the March Mailing is on the way! If, after a few days, you don't receive what you were expecting, please drop me an email directly to k8ij@... and I'll fix you up and offer a big apology.

The Endorsements/LONP Inbox will be closed for about a week as I rocket off on business then return to restock for the next quarter.

When you receive your small white envelope you might consider a brief "Long live the SSB!"

Vy 73,

Charlie, K8IJ

Mark - N8MNI

Charlie,

Will there be a collection set up for an SSB memorial fund? Plus to pay
the expenses of the new up and coming replacement? You know how much he
eats every quarter in envelopes, postage, and endorsement stickers.
Maybe even create a SSB Memorial endorsement. Hi Hi.

I will get my donation in the mail when I get home from rehabilitation
facility. I can not wait till my feet get healed.

N8MNI
Mark Crosbie
London, Ohio
PODXS 070# 0525
PODXS Clubhouse Barkeep
PODXS Reflector Boss

Subscribe to 070

Subscribe to 070_contest

Mike Flowers

R.I.P. SSB. Too bad his brother was a LID …

- 73 de Mike, K6MKF

[...]

max_horizon

Safe and sound into my postal receptacle...TNX Charlie.

73
KF7MAX
Max
_____