I can't believe I saw it - again !

Jerry N9AVY

Was looking for LONP contacts (unsuccessfully) last night when I tune across yet another station on PSK using PHONETICS !   It wouldn't have been so bad but this was the second time I've heard this type of operation.

Geez,  if print isn't copyable, what the heck are phonetcs going to do for the contact ???

Jerry   :-)

November Nine Alpha Victor Yankee

Bob N3PPH <rsheskin@...>

Does make you wonder how secure some of the testing sessions are run
doesn't it? I have had a few QSOs that I was thinking that there was no
way they passed the same tests I did.

73,
Bob N3PPH November Three Papa Papa Hotel - Eight Five Three

On 8/18/2011 9:07 AM, Jerry wrote:

Was looking for LONP contacts (unsuccessfully) last night when I tune
across yet another station on PSK using PHONETICS ! It wouldn't have
been so bad but this was the second time I've heard this type of
operation.

Geez, if print isn't copyable, what the heck are phonetcs going to do
for the contact ???

Jerry :-)

November Nine Alpha Victor Yankee

Jerry N9AVY

While I'm on a rant....   worked two Italian stations in a row yesterday and gave my name as "Jerry"  ...  both came back with "Jerald" from database.  Makes you kinda wonder if these were automated QSOs, huh ?   Maybe I'll repeat their names back in a different form like "Fubar"  and see if I get a rise out of them !  :-)

Why can't people copy what they see on the waterfall ?  If they don't get the name, it's okay to ask.. really it is.   Most stations don't have a problem copying my name, but every once in a while there seems to be a bunch who can't/won't and rely on stupid database.

I know a lot of folks use macros, but sometimes it's good to break out of the mold and do things a little different.  Change is good.

Jerry  N9AVY   #454

Does make you wonder how secure some of the testing sessions are run
doesn't it? I have had a few QSOs that I was thinking that there was no
way they passed the same tests I did.

73,
Bob N3PPH November Three Papa Papa Hotel - Eight Five Three

On 8/18/2011 9:07 AM, Jerry wrote:

Was looking for LONP contacts (unsuccessfully) last night when I tune
across yet another station on PSK using PHONETICS !   It wouldn't have
been so bad but this was the second time I've heard this type of
operation.

Geez,  if print isn't copyable, what the heck are phonetcs going to do
for the contact ???

Jerry   :-)

November Nine Alpha Victor Yankee

al7013

Forget about the tests, They have bigger issues, lack of common sense,

To: 070@yahoogroups.com
From: n9avy@sbcglobal.net
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 06:07:21 -0700
Subject: [070] I can't believe I saw it - again !

Was looking for LONP contacts (unsuccessfully) last night when I tune across yet another station on PSK using PHONETICS ! It wouldn't have been so bad but this was the second time I've heard this type of operation.

Geez, if print isn't copyable, what the heck are phonetcs going to do for the contact ???

Jerry :-)

November Nine Alpha Victor Yankee

Bob N3PPH <rsheskin@...>

I get the same here, have gone back with wrong name on purpose, no
response. As a partial explanation... maybe, I have a friend that is
getting into digital and he is using HRD suite which I have not for a
long time. I decided to run it for a while to be familiar with it in
case he had questions. My first QSO I look and it is sending the guy his
name and we had not even been introduced yet. I sent an apology and
explained, we wound up chatting about it and other things for 40
minutes. I have to erase the name real quickly to stop it from sending
before I am told the name, I think that is one of the things that made
me leave HRD stuff before. I know many ops just don't care but I am with
you, My given name is Robert, been called Bob my whole life. When the
come back with Robert I know it is an op on autopilot.

73,
Bob N3PPH 853

From: Bob N3PPH <rsheskin@... <mailto:rsheskin%40comcast.net>>
To: 070@yahoogroups.com <mailto:070%40yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thursday, August 18, 2011, 8:14 AM

Does make you wonder how secure some of the testing sessions are run
doesn't it? I have had a few QSOs that I was thinking that there was no
way they passed the same tests I did.

73,
Bob N3PPH November Three Papa Papa Hotel - Eight Five Three

On 8/18/2011 9:07 AM, Jerry wrote:

Was looking for LONP contacts (unsuccessfully) last night when I tune
across yet another station on PSK using PHONETICS ! It wouldn't have
been so bad but this was the second time I've heard this type of
operation.

Geez, if print isn't copyable, what the heck are phonetcs going to do
for the contact ???

Jerry :-)

November Nine Alpha Victor Yankee

K8TOM

Oops, hit the "Send" button there instead of the "Preview" on that last empty post...

Bob,

If you don't like the default HRD macros, just right-click on the macro and edit it so that the <his:firstname> is replaced by "OM" or whatever you prefer. Then hit the "OK" button, and you're good.

Tom
K8TOM

Bob N3PPH <rsheskin@...>

Thanks Tom, I understand that but I prefer to call someone by name after
we are introduced. I am used to fldigi which does not populate the
fields until I tell it to. Might wind up doing 2 macros for the same
thing one with OM and the one I have now. Knowing myself I would wind up
hitting the wrong one :-)

73,
Bob N3PPH

On 8/18/2011 10:53 AM, tom_k8tom wrote:

Oops, hit the "Send" button there instead of the "Preview" on that
last empty post...

Bob,

If you don't like the default HRD macros, just right-click on the
macro and edit it so that the <his:firstname> is replaced by "OM" or
whatever you prefer. Then hit the "OK" button, and you're good.

Tom
K8TOM

K8TOM

RR, Bob, and all good. I have my standard first reply macro set up so that it does not tx when I invoke it. It just populates in the tx window.

So typically what I do is hit the macro, it populates in the "send" window and meanwhile I am receiving the info from the other party. When/if he provides a first name, I just type the name into my send text replacing the populated QRZ name. If I'm sending first, then I tend to just use OM until I have his first name.

The easier way to do it, of course, is to enter the given name into the name field at the top of the RX window and THEN hit the reply macro. The program will use whatever value you have entered into the first-name box. But since I am usually modifying other info in my reply anyway based on what interesting info my correspondent has provided in his/her reply, I just hit my macro and modify the generated text on the fly.

It probably sounds more difficult than it is in practice.

Tom
K8TOM

Joseph Miller <radiodxer2000@...>

Thanks to the fine ops on this list, I edited my macros to say hello on the initial screen, then once they give me their first (or given) name, I use the copy name command, and a macro for firstname instead of complete name on subsequent transmissions. I am using DM780 and it was not all that difficult to edit their standard macros.

73 de Joe KJ8O 1244

Does make you wonder how secure some of the testing sessions are run
doesn't it? I have had a few QSOs that I was thinking that there was no
way they passed the same tests I did.

73,
Bob N3PPH November Three Papa Papa Hotel - Eight Five Three

On 8/18/2011 9:07 AM, Jerry wrote:

Was looking for LONP contacts (unsuccessfully) last night when I tune
across yet another station on PSK using PHONETICS !   It wouldn't have
been so bad but this was the second time I've heard this type of
operation.

Geez,  if print isn't copyable, what the heck are phonetcs going to do
for the contact ???

Jerry   :-)

November Nine Alpha Victor Yankee

al7013

Until this thread I never gave the first name on the initial exchange a thought. I do change it to whatever is sent. Thanks guys for discussing this have some editing to do tonight..

Guess that comes from using several names myself depending on which circle of friends im with. Allen for work Al at home or Yudi with the fire dept as we have several allens.

Al
K2AFY

To: 070@yahoogroups.com
From: radiodxer2000@yahoo.com
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 08:41:39 -0700

From: Bob N3PPH <rsheskin@comcast.net>

To: 070@yahoogroups.com

Date: Thursday, August 18, 2011, 8:14 AM

Does make you wonder how secure some of the testing sessions are run

doesn't it? I have had a few QSOs that I was thinking that there was no

way they passed the same tests I did.

73,

Bob N3PPH November Three Papa Papa Hotel - Eight Five Three

On 8/18/2011 9:07 AM, Jerry wrote:

Was looking for LONP contacts (unsuccessfully) last night when I tune
across yet another station on PSK using PHONETICS ! It wouldn't have
been so bad but this was the second time I've heard this type of
operation.
Geez, if print isn't copyable, what the heck are phonetcs going to do
for the contact ???
Jerry :-)
November Nine Alpha Victor Yankee

Mark - N8MNI

I some times use phonetics. Some people still seem to have problems with my callsign. They get the M N reversed. So I have a macro set up to tell them my callsign is wrong. Note I only send it when the contact cant seem to get my callsign correct. This still does not always work. I bet Andy N8NMI down in WV gets some NIL QSL cards.
*** BUSTED CALLSIGN ***

PSE copy my call as November Eight Mexico November India

QSL??

73,
N8MNI
Mark Crosbie
London, Ohio
PODXS 070# 0525
PODXS Clubhouse Barkeep
PODXS Reflector Boss

Bob N3PPH <rsheskin@...>

Since I have done that more than once with your call during contests I
can understand the need there. Never saw you calling CQ with November
Eight Mexico November India though.

73,
Bob N3PPH

To: 070@yahoogroups.com
From: radiodxer2000@yahoo.com
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 08:41:39 -0700

From: Bob N3PPH <rsheskin@comcast.net>

To: 070@yahoogroups.com

Date: Thursday, August 18, 2011, 8:14 AM

Does make you wonder how secure some of the testing sessions are run

doesn't it? I have had a few QSOs that I was thinking that there was no

way they passed the same tests I did.

73,

Bob N3PPH November Three Papa Papa Hotel - Eight Five Three

On 8/18/2011 9:07 AM, Jerry wrote:

Was looking for LONP contacts (unsuccessfully) last night when I tune
across yet another station on PSK using PHONETICS ! It wouldn't have
been so bad but this was the second time I've heard this type of
operation.
Geez, if print isn't copyable, what the heck are phonetcs going to do
for the contact ???
Jerry :-)
November Nine Alpha Victor Yankee

Tony

What gets me are the hams that give the _letter_ and _phoneti_c together
as if one did'nt know
the alphabet if the phonetic or the letter are not given at the same time.
EXAMPLE: G, Golf ... K, KILO etc.

K Kilo E Echo 9 P Papa H Hotel - three six two

Bob N3PPH wrote:

Does make you wonder how secure some of the testing sessions are run
doesn't it? I have had a few QSOs that I was thinking that there was no
way they passed the same tests I did.

73,
Bob N3PPH November Three Papa Papa Hotel - Eight Five Three

On 8/18/2011 9:07 AM, Jerry wrote:

Was looking for LONP contacts (unsuccessfully) last night when I tune
across yet another station on PSK using PHONETICS ! It wouldn't have
been so bad but this was the second time I've heard this type of
operation.

Geez, if print isn't copyable, what the heck are phonetcs going to do
for the contact ???

Jerry :-)

November Nine Alpha Victor Yankee

Dan Morris <dbm72941mo@...>

Well, I used to have the name in the initial macro and decided to change that after several months because of the name. So, I basically wait for the name even though I pretty much know what the name is going to be. In the case of N9AVY, I've know him for a very long time on 10-10 and I do know his on-air name is Jerry and not Gerald. So, when my fields populate and I see Gerald in there, I go right to the name field and re-type Jerry. Now, when my other macros go out with his name it will be correct.

That is definitely not full proof but it does work for me 99.9% of the time. On occasion I will forget to change the name and I will catch that right away and then I'll change it back but not very often does that happen any more.

Dan Morris KZ3T 10-10#41015 070# 1065
dbm72941mo@roadrunner.com

On Aug 18, 2011, at 11:41 AM, Joseph Miller wrote:

[...]

Daniel Severance

Hi Jerry,

unlikely automated QSOs but rather just too lazy to copy and over-ride the QRZ lookup data - their macro automatically grabs the name field.

When I'm in a QSO I highlight the name and update the field in case it is different, but some don't bother...

73
Dan
N6ERD
# 558

________________________________

Does make you wonder how secure some of the testing sessions are run
doesn't it? I have had a few QSOs that I was thinking that there was no
way they passed the same tests I did.

73,
Bob N3PPH November Three Papa Papa Hotel - Eight Five Three

On 8/18/2011 9:07 AM, Jerry wrote:

Was looking for LONP contacts (unsuccessfully) last night when I tune
across yet another station on PSK using PHONETICS !   It wouldn't have
been so bad but this was the second time I've heard this type of
operation.

Geez,  if print isn't copyable, what the heck are phonetcs going to do
for the contact ???

Jerry   :-)

November Nine Alpha Victor Yankee

Been following this thread with some interest since I got home a few minutes ago.

One of the things that struck me is that I now see a lot of QSOs where the other station starts out with " Hello Jerald Heien".  This seems like all that impersonal mail we get in our mailboxes (USPS) every week. It's always junk mail !  Which puts the spin on it that the other station really doesn't care about a QSO or who we are.  It's just cold and impersonal.

I think a few caught on to this from this thread. It's no longer about a friendly contact, it's about just making the contact ... very much like "59 QSL !  " is in the DX circles.  Don't know about everyone else, but I got on PSK because of the friendly operators.

Why, why do we need to have our PSK  software tied into databases anyhow ?  Sure it's a convenience, but if you make contact with someone and you get all their info from a database, you might just quit there and move on.  While I'm at it the signal report doesn't matter ...  everyone heard at N9AVY is 599 !    Maybe I'll start giving out 119 to deserving operators ! Hah !  :-)

Yes, I use marcros because my typing stinks. When I was in High School, guys didn't take typing, it was for girls who would be secretaries.  Who would have known that computers were just a few years away and every house would have a keyboard ? So, I type with one finger of each hand and the space on my radio cabinet is limited so my mouse ocassionally falls off and I have to go mouse hunting, hi !

Jerry  N9AVY
(Not Jerald !)

ve3oij <ve3oij@...>

Personally, I let the DB lookup fill in the name. I figure that if people are genuinely concerned that other people will get the wrong name from a database, then it's up to the individual to ensure their name is correct in the database, not blame database users for using themselves of the information available.

If I see a person's name is different than the DB entry, I'll go up and change it most of the time, but if condx are marginal, I might not see it.

I really don't care what people put in the name field for me, it's the callsign that's the relevant bit. I've seen people try the Fubar trick, and I *always* let it go and don't say a thing.

Obviously this matter is very dear to some of you, which forces me to ask: why are your names not correct in the database. Rather than berating other amateurs, your energy would seem to be better spent correcting the database.

If your driver's licence had the wrong name, you'd change it, yes?

Just a thought.

73 de VE3OIJ
-Darin

--- In 070@yahoogroups.com, Jerry <n9avy@...> wrote:

While I'm on a rant.... worked two Italian stations in a row yesterday and gave my name as "Jerry" ... both came back with "Jerald" from database. Makes you kinda wonder if these were automated QSOs, huh ? Maybe I'll repeat their names back in a different form like "Fubar" and see if I get a rise out of them ! :-)

--- In 070@yahoogroups.com, Bob N3PPH <rsheskin@...> wrote:

I know many ops just don't care but I am with
you, My given name is Robert, been called Bob my whole life. When the
come back with Robert I know it is an op on autopilot.

73,
Bob N3PPH 853

Bill Baker <wg5t@...>

WELL SAID, DASRIN....