Valentine Sprint question revisited

Tom <tsingle0@...>

Does anyone know the answer to my earlier question posted (#19402)
about the Valentine Sprint rules?

Was it too easy? Jay? Charlie? Someone?

Tks,
Tom
K8TOM

Chris <n9jca@...>

Basically any one you make contact with within the alloted time counts
towards the contest results

N9JCA Chris PODXS # 797

--- In 070@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <n9jca@...> wrote:

Basically any one you make contact with within the alloted time counts
towards the contest results

N9JCA Chris PODXS # 797
OK, so that means that I could start making contacts at any time for
the purpose of giving contact points to Sprint participants. For
Conus that would be 8PM EST and 5PM PST.

But the contacts will not count on my totals until it is 8PM my local
time.

Is that right?

Tom
K8TOM

Milton Garb <w6qe@...>

Hi Tom,
I'm thinking that it may not be as simple a question as presented.
But, I'm just another opinion...here goes:
If you work folks before your official rolling start in the contest...and then you enter the contest,
during your allotted time, can work them again for your log?
NO...They're going to tell you that you're a dupe. Even though you weren't in the contest, they were, and you can only count 1 time in their log per band.
Every QSO with a station that you make prior to YOUR official start is a QSO with that station that you cannot make again on that band, once your time zone starts. You'll be shooting yourself in the foot by starting early.
See what I mean?
That's what catches my eye right off the bat.
Hope this helps.
I saw you on 20m a little while ago...very nice and clean signal...
Milton
W6QE

> Basically any one you make contact with within the alloted time counts
> towards the contest results
>
> N9JCA Chris PODXS # 797

OK, so that means that I could start making contacts at any time for
the purpose of giving contact points to Sprint participants. For
Conus that would be 8PM EST and 5PM PST.

But the contacts will not count on my totals until it is 8PM my local
time.

Is that right?

Tom
K8TOM

Chris <n9jca@...>

TOM
GO HERE http://www.podxs070.com/ and read the rules on the main
page Once again as Milt described ONLY the contacts that you make
between 8PM - 2AM YOUR time will count towards your total points

N9JCA Chris PODXS # 797

--- In 070@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tsingle0@...> wrote:

--- In 070@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <n9jca@> wrote:

Basically any one you make contact with within the alloted time counts
towards the contest results

N9JCA Chris PODXS # 797
OK, so that means that I could start making contacts at any time for
the purpose of giving contact points to Sprint participants. For
Conus that would be 8PM EST and 5PM PST.

But the contacts will not count on my totals until it is 8PM my local
time.

Is that right?

Tom
K8TOM

Steve W3HF

Milton -

If someone were to say that **I** was a dupe under those
circumstances, I'd say "but you're not a dupe for me!" right back.
After all, it's not that he **CAN'T** make the QSO, or that you
**CAN'T** work him, it's just that the "second" QSO won't count for
him. Anyone who understood the rules, though, would make a second QSO,
**especially** those on this reflector who are reading this.

Note that because there's no cross-checking of logs, it doesn't matter
which of the contacts with you he submits.

It's a common problem for the "rolling start" type of
sprints--probably one of the few drawbacks--but it's easily addressed.

The only issue is that he won't ever respond to your CQ, because
you're already in his log. You'll have to call him and ask for an
"in-window" QSO.

If you work folks before your official rolling start in the
contest...and then you enter the contest,
during your allotted time, can work them again for your log?
NO...They're going to tell you that you're a dupe. Even though you
weren't in the contest, they were, and you can only count 1 time in
their log per band.
Every QSO with a station that you make prior to YOUR official start
is a QSO with that station that you cannot make again on that band,
once your time zone starts. You'll be shooting yourself in the foot by
starting early.
See what I mean?
That's what catches my eye right off the bat.
Hope this helps.
I saw you on 20m a little while ago...very nice and clean signal...
Milton
W6QE

> Basically any one you make contact with within the alloted time
counts
> towards the contest results
>
> N9JCA Chris PODXS # 797

OK, so that means that I could start making contacts at any time for
the purpose of giving contact points to Sprint participants. For
Conus that would be 8PM EST and 5PM PST.

But the contacts will not count on my totals until it is 8PM my local
time.

Is that right?

Tom
K8TOM

2/9/2009 5:40 PM

Milton Garb <w6qe@...>

Steve,
Thanks for your explanation and sharing your experiences.
I see your point and agree.
Rolling start contests do present some interesting challenges for the West Coast.
Milton
W6QE

If someone were to say that **I** was a dupe under those
circumstances, I'd say "but you're not a dupe for me!" right back.
After all, it's not that he **CAN'T** make the QSO, or that you
**CAN'T** work him, it's just that the "second" QSO won't count for
him. Anyone who understood the rules, though, would make a second QSO,
**especially** those on this reflector who are reading this.

Note that because there's no cross-checking of logs, it doesn't matter
which of the contacts with you he submits.

It's a common problem for the "rolling start" type of
sprints--probably one of the few drawbacks--but it's easily addressed.

The only issue is that he won't ever respond to your CQ, because
you're already in his log. You'll have to call him and ask for an
"in-window" QSO.

> If you work folks before your official rolling start in the
contest...and then you enter the contest,
> during your allotted time, can work them again for your log?
> NO...They're going to tell you that you're a dupe. Even though you
weren't in the contest, they were, and you can only count 1 time in
their log per band.
> Every QSO with a station that you make prior to YOUR official start
is a QSO with that station that you cannot make again on that band,
once your time zone starts. You'll be shooting yourself in the foot by
starting early.
> See what I mean?
> That's what catches my eye right off the bat.
> Hope this helps.
> I saw you on 20m a little while ago...very nice and clean signal...
> Milton
> W6QE

2/9/2009 5:40 PM

Tom <tsingle0@...>

Chris,

Thanks..I read the rules at the club website several times--Love the
new web site---but can't see that they address the question directly.

Should I or should I not start making contacts with contest
participants prior to my local start time even though I don't get
contest points for it?

The reason that I would do something like that is (for them) to help
others get points and (for me) to probably make more 070 contacts for
LONP, etc.

Milt's understanding may be correct, but since a call would not appear
more than once in your submitted contest log, how can there be a dupe?
It seems to me that prior contacts should not be discouraged. Why not
help out both parties and encourage more activity? But I'm probably
missing a consideration here..

And Tnx for the compliment, Milt. I saw your QSO with Harry in HI, and
it looks like the reflector mention was indeed keeping him busy.

I'm pretty limited right now on 80M and non-existent on 160M, so won't
be doing much tonight. But I'm working on it...:-)

K8TOM

spdomingue@...

You can only count the points for contact during your time,

Many stations will be on early to give you points and also late to give you points
However they do not count the points as it is before or after there
Friday, 13 February 2009, 2000 - 0200 (YOUR LOCAL TIME).
IF I contact you before 2000 or after 0200 MY Local time I do not count the points
BUT if it is Between 2000 and 0200 YOUR local time you can count the points.

THat helo any?

SteveD
N6YIH/7

Basically any one you make contact with within the alloted time counts
towards the contest results

N9JCA Chris PODXS # 797

--- In 070@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tsingle0@...> wrote:

Does anyone know the answer to my earlier question posted (#19402)
about the Valentine Sprint rules?

Was it too easy? Jay? Charlie? Someone?

Tks,
Tom