40 & 80m

AA8QQJMauch@...

Karen,
I've often wondered the same thing. Seems like everyone is hung up on the
"middle" bands. I only have 3 QSO's on 6 meters, and not many more than that
on 40 & 80. Heck, if anyone's willing, I'd even like to get some activity
going on 160.

73,
Jay - AA8QQ

Wanna work a sked on 40 or 80?

N3DQU@...

In a message dated 7/4/02 10:03:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time, w4gtm@his.com
writes:

Hey all,

Any reason why there is such little PSK activity on 40 & 80m?
I think 40m is a nice band. My screen is mostly empty when I listen
or put out CQ's. Maybe we could have some informal 070
gatherings there once in a while? Start stirring up some activity on
those bands? I like 10, 15 & 20m, but it would be nice to make
more contacts on the lower bands. Maybe my G5RV is broken?
But hey, it worked for the TDW contest.

Happy 4th! Karen - W4GTM
40m was pretty hot for FD too! In fact, I think I made more PSK Q's on 40m
than I did on 20m...Jay N3DQU

Andy <ve9dx@...>

Being a new kid on the block when it comes to PSK. I have lots to learn
yet. I have yet found any PSK on 80 and about the only PSK on 40 was
during FD and like Jay, I worked more PSK stations on 40 than I did on
any other band.
Maybe some one can fill me in on where I might find PSK on 80, both
North America and Europe and where Europe hangs out on 40 PSK.
I have worked many stations on 30 already and even a few on 17.
Hopefully I will find a few in my log over the next few days on the
lower bands...
Happy July 4....
73 Andy (VE9DX)

Ex: VE1ASJ, VE1DX, VE1SPI, VE8CW, VO2AB, CI8CW, CY0SPI, HP9FC, ZD9BP
etc...
Home page: http://www.ve9dx.com
Online Logs: http://www.ve9dx.com/logs.html
Telnet links: http://www.ve9dx.com/telnet/sites.html
(with links to over 200 Open DXclusters)
VE9DX Online logs: http://www.ve9dx.com/ve9dx2k/ve9dx2k.html
Email: ve9dx@rac.ca

N3DQU@...

In a message dated 7/4/02 11:41:28 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
croft@patriot.net writes:

For myself it was just a bit confusing whether the freq should be 7.070
or 7.080 MHz . . . but have "settled" with '070'
John - 40m PSK started out on 70.725 for some reason, settled down to
7.070 but you can still find traces fm 7060 up....the Euros are on 7035 as
7070 is their fone band...Jay N3DQU

n0bhc

Karen & Jay

Same observation from here. 40M and 80M seem to be abandoned. How about a
"Dog Days Sprint" type of contest? It could be a 4 hr sprint from say 0001Z
to 0040Z. Dates and times may have to be adjusted - Do not try this at home
- Other local restrictions may apply.

Bob N0BHC

n0bhc

In a message dated 7/4/02 11:49:42 AM Central Daylight Time, wb0dul@arrl.net
writes:

Whatever works Steve. I noticed you didn't want to change the prize for the
winner. Of course, we haven't heard from Jay yet. ROFL!!!!

73,

Dick
WB0DUL@arrl.net
Boy oh boy! It's GREAT of Steve to provide such an incentive to light up
40M. What a guy!

Bob N0BHC

Karen Russo <w4gtm@...>

Hey all,

Any reason why there is such little PSK activity on 40 & 80m?
I think 40m is a nice band. My screen is mostly empty when I listen
or put out CQ's. Maybe we could have some informal 070
gatherings there once in a while? Start stirring up some activity on
those bands? I like 10, 15 & 20m, but it would be nice to make
more contacts on the lower bands. Maybe my G5RV is broken?
But hey, it worked for the TDW contest.

Happy 4th! Karen - W4GTM

DL2AYL@...

40 meters on our side is not so busy too but you can find always contacts in
the evenings there. But that reminds me of the WARC-endorsements, what
became of our activities there? The bands are not bad, even worked VK2 on
30 meters, haven't seen much activity on the WARC bands lately.
73's Erika/DL2AYL

The Maryland Crofts <croft@...>

Hi Karen and Warblers!

For myself it was just a bit confusing whether the freq should be 7.070
or 7.080 MHz . . . but have "settled" with '070' . . . I did notice a
CO2 station on 40 the other morning . . . and for those of you looking
for another "rare" one . . . I'll try to keep K3VOA operating most
weekend mornings between 1000z and 1100z (before I 'go' to work)
spending perhaps 20 minutes on 40, 20 and then 15 . . . and maybe a peek
at ten!

Of course I do operate a bit a "lunchtime" but that hour can vary quite
a bit and depends upon what kind of work I had been up to beforehand.

73,

John, K3NJ &
Member VOA ARC K3VOA

Karen Russo wrote:

Hey all,

Any reason why there is such little PSK activity on 40 & 80m?
I think 40m is a nice band. My screen is mostly empty when I listen
or put out CQ's. Maybe we could have some informal 070
gatherings there once in a while? Start stirring up some activity on
those bands? I like 10, 15 & 20m, but it would be nice to make
more contacts on the lower bands. Maybe my G5RV is broken?
But hey, it worked for the TDW contest.

Happy 4th! Karen - W4GTM

Check out the 070 Club website at

* John & Kathy Croft * http://patriot.net/~croft *
* Silver Spring, MD * KC3T TEN-TEN 68155 * K3NJ TEN-TEN 67398 *
* -monitoring N3AUY/R 29.66 MHz (141.3 Hz)- *

Peter Baskind <pbaskind@...>

It's not just 40 & 80 that I wonder about...

I have been shocked how little activity there has been on 10 meters this
Summer. With the E-skip season in full swing (such as it is -- pretty poor
this year, actually), one wonders why there isn't more activity up there.

I'll get onto 10 whenever it's open and run a CQ or two, and almost never
get any response. Many of the states workable on 10 during the E-skip
season are hard indeed during the balance of the year -- especially QRP, as
I operate (It's pretty tough to work backscatter off an attic dipole @ 5w)
Boy, I would love to work KY, IN, or GA on 10m QRP -- still lookin'.

And 6m? I have never heard a signal on 6. Maybe I'm not looking at the
right time.

Oh, well... still several weeks left in the Season. Maybe I'll get lucky.

73s all,

Peter Baskind
AG4KI

Peter Baskind, J.D., LL.M.
Germantown, TN
Voice: (901) 624-5295
Fax: (901) 624-6060
pbaskind@midsouth.rr.com

Steve W3HF

That's a darned good idea, Jay. A four hour session and the one with
the highest number of contacts on 40 meters wins a week in Jamaica,
compliments of N3DQU. (Man, what a guy! :) ) Seriously, a 4 hour
marathon on 40 would be fun. Just exchange calls, county, report,
name & section, not necessarily in that order.

Maybe the name could be the 40 Meter PSK Static Crash Contest or
whatever.

What say guys? It would be fun.

73,

Dick
WB0DUL@arrl.net

I'm game, though I would opt for a simpler exchange. County and
section can always be dealt with later.

I'd vote for Call/Name/Report, or Call/State/Report, with non-US
substituting province or DX identifier for the state.

Dick Thompson <wb0dul@...>

That's a darned good idea, Jay. A four hour session and the one with the highest number of contacts on 40 meters wins a week in Jamaica, compliments of N3DQU. (Man, what a guy! :) ) Seriously, a 4 hour marathon on 40 would be fun. Just exchange calls, county, report, name & section, not necessarily in that order.

Maybe the name could be the 40 Meter PSK Static Crash Contest or whatever.

What say guys? It would be fun.

73,

Dick
WB0DUL@arrl.net

Same observation from here. 40M and 80M seem to be abandoned. How about a
"Dog Days Sprint" type of contest? It could be a 4 hr sprint from say 0001Z
to 0040Z. Dates and times may have to be adjusted - Do not try this at home
- Other local restrictions may apply.

Bob N0BHC

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Check out the 070 Club website at

Dick Thompson <wb0dul@...>

Whatever works Steve. I noticed you didn't want to change the prize for the winner. Of course, we haven't heard from Jay yet. ROFL!!!!

73,

Dick
WB0DUL@arrl.net

> That's a darned good idea, Jay. A four hour session and the one with
> the highest number of contacts on 40 meters wins a week in Jamaica,
> compliments of N3DQU. (Man, what a guy! :) ) Seriously, a 4 hour
> marathon on 40 would be fun. Just exchange calls, county, report,
> name & section, not necessarily in that order.
>
> Maybe the name could be the 40 Meter PSK Static Crash Contest or
> whatever.
>
> What say guys? It would be fun.
>
> 73,
>
> Dick
> WB0DUL@arrl.net

I'm game, though I would opt for a simpler exchange. County and
section can always be dealt with later.

I'd vote for Call/Name/Report, or Call/State/Report, with non-US
substituting province or DX identifier for the state.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Check out the 070 Club website at

Steve W3HF

Whatever works Steve. I noticed you didn't want to change the prize
for the winner. Of course, we haven't heard from Jay yet. ROFL!!!!

73,

Dick
WB0DUL@arrl.net
Boy oh boy! It's GREAT of Steve to provide such an incentive to light
up 40M. What a guy!

Bob N0BHC

No, it was JAY providing the incentive! I was just agreeing with
Dick's wonderful suggestion! :-)

Steve

Stephen Prior <smprior@...>

Yes, a 40 M sprint would be great fun. I have found like N3DQU that I had as
many if not more contacts on 40M than 20M during FD and TDW.

On 80 meters a question - random length antenna any comments or suggestions
. I would like to run a long wire out into the woods behind the house and
see what happens.

have a safe 4th of July
N3UYI

writes:

Whatever works Steve. I noticed you didn't want to change the prize for
the
winner. Of course, we haven't heard from Jay yet. ROFL!!!!

73,

Dick
WB0DUL@arrl.net
Boy oh boy! It's GREAT of Steve to provide such an incentive to light up
40M. What a guy!

Bob N0BHC

Check out the 070 Club website at

Karen Russo <w4gtm@...>

Speaking of 10m....lately I've listened out for the beacons and I
usually hear at least 2 strong ones. From this location (VA) I mostly
hear K5AB in Central TX and W0ERE. I agree with Peter that the
e-skip doesn't seem all that great, but its certainly worthy of trying.
I'm wondering if amateur radio interest is way down or other
stations just need to hear all 59 or 599 signals to get on the air?
I enjoy listening for the weak/weaker signals. You never know what
you might get...maybe someone with an attic dipole running 5
watts!

The only bands that have decent activity right now are 15 & 20m.
Everything else is sketchy. I realize we're heading in the downward
direction with the sunspot cycle, but gee, it ain't all that bad, is it?

And, Jay AA8QQ, we'll have to set up a PSK sked on 40 & 80m.
I'm surprised we didn't hook up in the TDW contest.

73 - Karen W4GTM

Bernie <kf4fhs@...>

OK all you squeaky wheels are goin to get some grease.

We are going to have a 40 meter Sprint type contest towards the middle to
end of July.

N3DQU and myself are working out the finer points, as you read this, so it
will be as fair for everyone as possible. When everything is worked out I
will post the rules.

Anyone with thoughts of Jamacia will need to contact N3DQU.

73, Bernie / KF4FHS

Tom <tomias@...>

Wonderful .... only not so many rules that it takes a lawyer to interpret them !!! Its a hobby.... <G>

Tom, k3psk

OK all you squeaky wheels are goin to get some grease.

We are going to have a 40 meter Sprint type contest towards the middle to
end of July.

N3DQU and myself are working out the finer points, as you read this, so it
will be as fair for everyone as possible. When everything is worked out I
will post the rules.

Anyone with thoughts of Jamacia will need to contact N3DQU.

73, Bernie / KF4FHS

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Check out the 070 Club website at

N3DQU@...

In a message dated 7/5/2002 10:36:34 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
wb0dul@arrl.net writes:

I agree with you on the short notice for the contest. I'm a little confused
as to why it has to be this weekend unless they want it to tie in with the
holiday, thus the name "Firecracker Sprint."
Actually, the reason why we picked this weekend is because it one of the
few weekends in July without any major contests going on. The 13-14 is the
IARU HF Championship, the 20-21 is the NA RTTY QSO Party, the 27-28 is the
Russian RTTY WW Contest and RSGB IOTA Contest...If you guys want, we can put
the sprint on the backburner til a later date...Jay N3DQU

Peter Baskind <pbaskind@...>

Wonderful .... only not so many rules that it takes a lawyer to
interpret them !!! Its a hobby.... <G>
No. Let's make them such that ONLY lawyers can interpret them. Yeah...
that's the ticket!

Peter, AG4KI

Peter Baskind, J.D., LL.M.
Germantown, TN
Voice: (901) 624-5295
Fax: (901) 624-6060
pbaskind@midsouth.rr.com

BTW: How 'bout a 10m event before the Summer is out? That might be fun,
too.