HF antenna

spdomingue@...

Has anyone used the MFJ-1798 vertical antenna or the Titan DX by GAP vertical HF antennas?

Thinking about one of these any comments? Good or bad would help.

Thanks
SteveD
N6YIH/7

AA8QQJMauch@...

Hi All,

FWIW, I have 4 ants in my ant farm for low bands.
1 - Ground mounted Hustler vert w/o radials (intentional for high angles)
2 - Full wave loop for 80 m @ 10', works good on 40 also
3 - 165' wire sloper for 160 m top end @ 50', works on all other bands
4 - G5RV as inverted vee apex @ 30'

The main benefit I get from these ants are varying launch angles and noise
reduction. If the noise is bad on the vert, it usually is several dB down on
one or more of the other ants. Directionality is only slightly different
between all of them.

73,
Jay - AA8QQ

Jeff Baker <jjbaker@...>

I have thought about them myself but anytime I have mentioned it to the old timers and some of my elmers they just cringed.  I am using a homebrew inverted vee dipole fed with ladder line.  I wonder how one of the verticals would compare??  I know my dipole is cheaper.  Force 12 has some verticals out as well.  Take a look at their site. I have also been looking at the Cushcraft MA5B mini beam as well but they all cringe at that too. J  We can’t all have 100 ft towers and tri-banders….

Jeff Baker WU4O

John Durbin <durbinsjz@...>

Jeff,

I have a Cushcraft MA5B for sale if you want it for $150. I had it up for 2 months until my Force12 C3SS came in, it is only 8 months old.

Chris KC8LJN

I have thought about them myself but anytime I have mentioned it to the old timers and some of my elmers they just cringed.  I am using a homebrew inverted vee dipole fed with ladder line.  I wonder how one of the verticals would compare??  I know my dipole is cheaper.  Force 12 has some verticals out as well.  Take a look at their site. I have also been looking at the Cushcraft MA5B mini beam as well but they all cringe at that too. J  We can’t all have 100 ft towers and tri-banders….

Jeff Baker WU4O

   Check out the 070 Club website at

Tom <tomias@...>

Just another thought ... the best wire antenna I ever had was an inverted v ... 65 feet each leg fed with homemade openwire feed line with about 4 inch spacing... worked well on all bands.   At the same time a TA 33 at 35 feet worked better for 10, 15, and 20.   Had the TA 33 at 50 feet once ... it was no better than at 35 feet ...  hurricane reduced its took it down.  For me it is a compromise between height and survivabililty when the hurricane force winds blow.   So now it is a Force 12 at 33 feet.... satisfied with its performance and hoping it will survive the next hurricane.

Tom, k3psk