PSK DX

Duncan <zl3jt@...>

de Jungle Telegraph
I had a ZB2/PA3ENH/P lined up on 20M....It's only 20000Kms!
Bert was telling everybody who called him, that he had a pile of stations trying
to call him, but a lot of 'operators' will insist on using set macros... telling
the whole world how fast their computer is, how much ram it's got, and they're blessed
with a soundblaster 16 bit soundcard, and the WX is cold, and so on and so on!
This a lousy operating, lousy selfish operating! I hope none of the 070 group do
this? I hope we aren't blessed with this crap during the rumble? People are being
put off with rubbish from other's computers...and combined with lousy transmissions
as well...
For the sake of sanity, be brief, don't tell to DX anything other than a signal report,
your name, and QTH. ONLY send information pertaining to the situation. If the other
guy types tks 73s and QRZ? Don't continue the QSO!!!!
If you want to rag chew, that's fine, but don't attempt to do it with some one who's
busy with a pile up! I might be trying to work it, Right?
If I am calling Africa and the Indian Ocean, it means that I want to work stations
in that area...not Europe, not USA, not Australia, or Japan!
The reason I do it is because I have a very short opportunity on the long path to
work that area of the world! It is very difficult from ZL and that's a fact!
If a USA station is calling for Central Asia...I don't call him...Simple isn't it?
How many USA stations have worked YA5T? Practically none on some bands!
The band was literally swamped around 0430Z today by one station...running 150 watts
he typed..with a 6 el Yagi...ruined everybody elses chances on the band...Why? I
can work W3HF, Steve has 2 watts and an indoor dipole. I run 40 watts to Africa,
long path 30000Kms...I did it tonight twice.... I'm preaching to the wrong group,
I'm sorry!
BTW 14.070 will get worse my friends...just like 20M SSB..I have seen pictures of
a 37KW amplifier that is being used in Italy, and a 20KW one in Japan....just for
contesting of course (sic)...How many more of these are there?
73s Duncan

Bills4570@...

Duncan,

I've noticed a lot of the same. Lot's of self centered
ignorant operation. Guess that goes with the fact that
the PSK mode is exploding in popularity. That's bringing
a lot of new and inexperienced ops to the band. As you
stated, this will only get worse when the sun cycle wanes
and everyone packs themselves into the remaining DX bands
and modes.

From my perspective, I've learned a lot from your posts,
especially about op techniques; some of which are not
intuitive. Keep up the good work, Duncan. It may not
look like it down there, but your input is making a
difference.

Ignorance is blissful only for the ignorant........

Regards, Bill
KG6EXF
[...]

Get the award winning ISP, AT&T WorldNet Service
http://download.att.net/webtag

N3DQU@...

In a message dated 3/31/2002 10:46:50 PM Eastern Standard Time, brmccain@... writes:

". . .AGE HERE IS 109. BEEN A HAM SINCE 1845 AND BEEN USING RTTY
SINCE WORLD WAR I. INVENTED DIGITAL MODES WITH AL GORE. RETIRED NOW
ENJOYING THE WX HERE OM. I WILL NOW TELL YOU ABOUT MY STATION. THE
RIG HERE IS A HOMEBREWED . . ."

    Yep, I think you can safely say that in the PSK community we got your basic cross-section of the ham population, including Newbies, Oldies and Wannabies! I agree that it can be frustrating at times, but ya gotta admit...it does make for some interestin' contacts hi! Jay N3DQU.

brmccain <brmccain@...>

I've noticed a lot of the same. Lot's of self centered
ignorant operation. Guess that goes with the fact that
the PSK mode is exploding in popularity. That's bringing
a lot of new and inexperienced ops to the band.
I agree 100% but not all new psk users are new hams or new to HF
privileges. I also watched a DX QSO on an overdriven signal -6DB IMD,
when an upper case macro blasted out, something like . . .

". . .AGE HERE IS 109. BEEN A HAM SINCE 1845 AND BEEN USING RTTY
SINCE WORLD WAR I. INVENTED DIGITAL MODES WITH AL GORE. RETIRED NOW
ENJOYING THE WX HERE OM. I WILL NOW TELL YOU ABOUT MY STATION. THE
RIG HERE IS A HOMEBREWED . . ."

Let's hope for quick and efficient macros in the 'Rumble . . .

73 de N7XB
Bruce McCain

Bernie <kf4fhs@...>

FOR SALE:

3 kw leener amplyfier.
Perfect Condition, only been used on PSK31.
Would be great for use in the Rumble.

Anyone interested, I will also program your macrels for the contest.

73, Bernie / KF4FHS :-)

Bernie <kf4fhs@...>

Regarding the "Amplyfier" that I just listed "For Sale"

There is no amplifier, that was a feeble attempt at a little humor, as an
example of how some folks operate their PSK31 stations.

I've already had 2 offers to buy it :-)

73, Bernie / KF4FHS

JHudak3rd@...

Bernie, I'm disappointed! I wanted the 3kw amp as my 5 kw is on the Fritz.
Dog gone it, now what will I do ???? PS My apology to all the "Fritz's" out
there.

KA3X, Jay

AA8QQJMauch@...

Wow, 3kw at 100%duty cycle? I'll take it!

JHudak3rd@...

Too late Bernie, I just bought a bridge in New York. Got to take a few days
off and go see it.

KA3X, Jay

Bernie <kf4fhs@...>

I've got three, 1kw amps I could let you have, Jay. Maybe you could hook 'em
up in series :-)

73, Bernie / KF4FHS

Bernie, I'm disappointed! I wanted the 3kw amp as my 5 kw is on the Fritz.
Dog gone it, now what will I do ???? PS My apology to all the "Fritz's"
out
there.

KA3X, Jay

Check out the 070 Club website at

Steve W3HF

--- In 070@y..., "Bernie" <kf4fhs@h...> wrote:
I've got three, 1kw amps I could let you have, Jay. Maybe you could
hook 'em
up in series :-)

73, Bernie / KF4FHS
Bernie -

When you hook up amps in series, do they add like resistors (1 + 1 +
1 = 3) or capacitors (1 + 1 + 1 "=" 0.577)? I forget the rule.

I need to know, so that I can figure out how I should hook up my
three-watt PSK-20 and my five-watt FT-817 to get eight watts out.

Bernie <kf4fhs@...>

Steve,

You've got to use a splitter.

You put the splitter on the antenna connector of your PSK-20. Connect the
Anetnna connector from your FT-817 to one side of the splitter and the other
side of the splitter to your antenna. When the 5 watts from your FT-817 goes
thru the PSK-20, it will take the 3 watts out with it also. And everybody
knows 5 + 3 = 8.
I figgered that all out by myself.

73, Bernie / KF4FHS

I've got three, 1kw amps I could let you have, Jay. Maybe you could
hook 'em
up in series :-)

73, Bernie / KF4FHS
Bernie -

When you hook up amps in series, do they add like resistors (1 + 1 +
1 = 3) or capacitors (1 + 1 + 1 "=" 0.577)? I forget the rule.

I need to know, so that I can figure out how I should hook up my
three-watt PSK-20 and my five-watt FT-817 to get eight watts out.

Check out the 070 Club website at

Steve W3HF

Bernie -

Thanks. I knew you guys would come through for me. I can't wait to
try this out!

Gosh, I'll practically be QRO with all of eight watts!

P.S. It seems to me that in this configuration, the "splitter" is
acting more like a "sucker," sucking out the PSK-20's three watts
and pulling it along as the 817 pushes its own five watts through.
So I think we should call this the Sucker Circuit.

[...]

No problem Steve, Glad to help.

If you ever need any more technical help, don't hesitate to ask. I can
usually figure out complicated problems such as the one you had pretty easy.
I got most of my training back on the farm, when I lived in Tennessee. I was
the one who did all of the repair on our electronic goat milkers.

73, Bernie / KF4FHS
PS. You're right, Sucker Circuit is probably more accurate :-)

I've got three, 1kw amps I could let you have, Jay. Maybe you
could
hook 'em
up in series :-)

73, Bernie / KF4FHS
Bernie -

When you hook up amps in series, do they add like resistors (1 + 1 +
1 = 3) or capacitors (1 + 1 + 1 "=" 0.577)? I forget the rule.

I need to know, so that I can figure out how I should hook up my
three-watt PSK-20 and my five-watt FT-817 to get eight watts out.

Check out the 070 Club website at

JHudak3rd@...

Steve, makes no difference how you hook them up, just terminate in a large
light bulb, preferably a burnt-out one. Jay, KA3X

Steve W3HF

Steve, makes no difference how you hook them up, just terminate in a
large light bulb, preferably a burnt-out one. Jay, KA3X
Jay -

Thanks for the suggestion. Does it matter what wattage the bulb is?

If I use a 40 watt bulb, I should get 7 dB gain, right? (My two radios
put out a total of 8 watts. 40 / 8 = 5, which is 7 dB.)

But if I use a 150 watt bulb, I should get almost 13 dB of gain. (150 /
8 = 18.75, which is 12.7 dB.)

So I guess I should use the largest bulb I can find, to get the most
antenna gain. That must be why you say to use a "large" light bulb.

Boy, I sure appreciate all the fine technical help I get on this mailing
list. You guys are sure swell.

Steve

Bernie <kf4fhs@...>

I've had really good luck using a florescent tube, they are more broad
banded, and when you transmit, they help light your shack.

73, Bernie / KF4FHS

Steve, makes no difference how you hook them up, just terminate in a
large light bulb, preferably a burnt-out one. Jay, KA3X
Jay -

Thanks for the suggestion. Does it matter what wattage the bulb is?

If I use a 40 watt bulb, I should get 7 dB gain, right? (My two radios
put out a total of 8 watts. 40 / 8 = 5, which is 7 dB.)

But if I use a 150 watt bulb, I should get almost 13 dB of gain. (150 /
8 = 18.75, which is 12.7 dB.)

So I guess I should use the largest bulb I can find, to get the most
antenna gain. That must be why you say to use a "large" light bulb.

Boy, I sure appreciate all the fine technical help I get on this mailing
list. You guys are sure swell.

Steve

Steve W3HF

Bernie -

I had never thought of it, but I guess the way the filament is wound
in an incandescent bulb, it makes a coil that must be tricky to tune.
A broadband antenna sure sounds like a real improvement.

I'll have to give it a try. Maybe I won't even have to reset my MFJ
tuner when I switch bands. I'll be that will save me a lot of time
during the contest!

Thanks for the wonderful suggestion.

Steve

I've had really good luck using a florescent tube, they are more broad
banded, and when you transmit, they help light your shack.

73, Bernie / KF4FHS

Steve, makes no difference how you hook them up, just terminate in
a large light bulb, preferably a burnt-out one. Jay, KA3X
Jay -

Thanks for the suggestion. Does it matter what wattage the bulb is?

If I use a 40 watt bulb, I should get 7 dB gain, right? (My two
radios put out a total of 8 watts. 40 / 8 = 5, which is 7 dB.)

But if I use a 150 watt bulb, I should get almost 13 dB of gain.
(150 / 8 = 18.75, which is 12.7 dB.)

So I guess I should use the largest bulb I can find, to get the most
antenna gain. That must be why you say to use a "large" light bulb.

Boy, I sure appreciate all the fine technical help I get on this
mailing list. You guys are sure swell.

---------------------~--> Buy Stock for $4. No Minimums. FREE Money
2002. http://us.click.yahoo.com/6GDALA/VovDAA/ySSFAA/RUTolB/TM

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to