From: Costas Krallis SV1XV <sv1xv@eexi.gr>
To: <070@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 09, 2002 9:07 AM
Subject: Re: [070] ARRL and QSLs

:
: I have not applied for DXCC, because I am worried that
: I might loose my cards (collected direct at high cost)
: in the mail. I hope some day ARRL shall agree to accept
: a list of QSL cards endorsed by the national society of
: the applicant.
:
: Costas SV1XV

Robert Daniel <daniel@...>

Patience, patience!! I sent eQsl considerably more than $25 over a year ago
as a MO via snail-mail and it took almost 3 weeks to be recognized.

73, Bob

W9FIF

Well over two weeks ago I sent $25 to eQSL to fund the "postage"

account since they claimed the ARRL would accept these cards. The

money was transferred with Paypal. After more than two weeks,

Beischel <wb8nut@...>

Well over two weeks ago I sent $25 to eQSL to fund the "postage"
account since they claimed the ARRL would accept these cards. The
money was transferred with Paypal. After more than two weeks,
several e-mails, they said they would credit my "postage" account -
that was six days ago - still the account shows a $0 balance and it
is useless anyway since the cards are not acceptable for the award.
I have now sent a complaint to Paypal and if they money does not come
back to me as I have requested of eQSL, I will file a complaint with
the state AG.

People can say what they want about the ARRL, but at least the ARRL
has never ripped me off, have quickly responded to any request, and I
just as soon wait for the ARRL to implement a system then to have to
put up with a half ass operation that can't properly handle funds
that claims to do things they cannot.

JMHO - WB8NUT
http://www.wb8nut.com

Costas Krallis SV1XV <sv1xv@...>

At 22:49 8/3/2002 -0800, you wrote:
I'm asking this question very seriously and in no way do I mean for it to be
rude or degrading to anyone or anything, but what is so special about the
ARRL's DXCC award ?
In the past, it was quite an achievement (especially for
North American hams) to contact 100 countries and it was
the first major milestone in their DX "career" which
led into the Honor Roll.

Of course this is no longer the case, as good operators with
medium class stations get more than 100 countries in a
contest weekend. I did 52 countries and 6 continents in
BARTG RTTY Sprint last January and I run only 100 W on
a vertical.

Is it because that you have to wait a year or more to get conformation of
some of your contacts, or is it because it is so hard to get people to send
a QSL at all, or what is it ??
Getting the cards is the major difficulty nowdays. US hams
are lucky as they receive many QSL cards via the bureau because
their contacts count for the prestigious "Worked All States"
(WAS) and Counties awards. In SV-land, we get very few
replies via bureau.

I have not applied for DXCC, because I am worried that
I might loose my cards (collected direct at high cost)
in the mail. I hope some day ARRL shall agree to accept
a list of QSL cards endorsed by the national society of
the applicant.

Costas SV1XV

| Costas Krallis SV1XV * LOC KM18UA |
| P.O.Box 3066 * E-Mail: sv1xv@eexi.gr |
| GR-10210 Athens * PGP key: 0x3BDBBC34 |
| GREECE * http://www.qsl.net/sv1xv/ |

Bernie <kf4fhs@...>

I'm asking this question very seriously and in no way do I mean for it to be
rude or degrading to anyone or anything, but what is so special about the
ARRL's DXCC award ?
Is it because that you have to wait a year or more to get conformation of
some of your contacts, or is it because it is so hard to get people to send
a QSL at all, or what is it ??
I'm also having a little trouble figuring out how a card with all the
information printed, using a home computer, and sent via the Post Office, be
any more "legitimate" than a verified e-QSL, unless they are thinking that
somehow the postmark would help legitimize it, and if the card had been sent
in an envelope there wouldn't be a postmark on it.
eQSL requires that you send either a scan of your Ham license e-mailed to
them or a copy mailed to them, before you are eligible for any of their
awards, and only cards that have been verified in this manner will be
credited to your award standings. Am I right in thinking that the ARRL does
not require any sort of verification of any kind, other than the card was
sent through the mail?

It's sure got this old misplaced hillbilly puzzled.

73, Bernie / KF4FHS
Yelm, WA

Duncan <zl3jt@...>

de Jungle Telegraph
The ARRL statement re acceptable QSL methods, is 'gobble-de-gook'! This ARRL committee,
DXCC, will accept cards from applicants, that they have received from ZL3JT, only
if those cards are posted in the mail system. The ARRL has never checked on my 'authenticity'
to my knowledge, or, in fact anybody else, unless they 'operate' from a rare entity!

If a station is 'suspect' when one submits a card for credit, the 'suspect' station
or operator is required to submit copies of licenses, travel documents etc.
My card at eqsl.cc should be acceptable, because I have Authenticity Guaranteed at
eqsl.cc! In other words eqsl.cc has seen a copy of my genuine Amateur Radio License...
The ARRL hasn't!
If ARRL cared about their own membership, they will organise access to the Log Data
Base at eqsl.cc!
Irrespective of any method of confirmation of qsos, there will be those that 'cheat'....so
what? If they do, who cares? The Cheats are only cheating themselves in order to
raise their position on the 'EGO' list...
Then, of course, I haven't considered the multi-million dollar card printing business,
have I?
73s Duncan