Topics

PW0T PSK

Duncan <zl3jt@...>

de Jungle Telegraph
It is very disappointing to read on the Trindade website that they only made 57 psk
QSOs. They will probably not use this mode again, because the 'operators' will not
obey the Trindade and work the split frequency.
People were inanely calling on top of the PW0T trace, so nobody knew who he called
further up the frequency. The QSO 'rate' was so poor, because of this, that many
will now miss out.
I have found too that when I called KG4 today in 15M psk, several stations called
ME! Dammit! Please PSKers learn to operate correctly Please! Pretty please!
The secret to 'DXing' is to listen (watch your screen), and listen, (watch your screen)
and keep doing that until you KNOW what is going on! Then pick a clear frequency
and use Your call sign, not the DX callsign.... They actually know their own callsign....When
you call use your own call no more than 3 times and then put KN KN...This means you
are inviting only the DX station to call you, if he sees your trace in the clear.
PW0T only requires an RST from you, and your correct callsign...and that is ALL!
They do NOT need to know that you have a 16 bit sound card, or your name/QTH!

Set two macros with your call on one, and a reply, "QSL ur also 599 Tnx 73s de <callsign>
K " on the second one...

If you haven't got a PSK program with dual channels, then set your 2nd VFO in the
listening frequency, that is where the others are all calling, switch to split VFO
and TX above the object station, or below as the case may be...You will know that
when you watch the DX station's instructions!

de ZL3JT (Pacific Pilot- Oceania for PW0T)

Zoltan Bordas <borzol@...>

I have found too that when I called KG4 today in 15M psk, several stations
called
ME! Dammit! Please PSKers learn to operate correctly Please! Pretty
please!

Yes, funny (but sad too) I was also called instead of the KG4... And
regarding split in PSK mode very, very few people wants to use it (perhaps
they don't know this technique???)

I also ask to pay attention to that UP...

73 de Zoli / YO5CRQ

Sean \(G4UCJ\) <g4ucj.shack@...>

Hi Duncan et al, yep it's the same wherever and whatever mode! Being mainly
(dare I say this on here?) a CW op, I find exactly the same thing-the really
confusing one is when the DX listens DOWN (that is a concept a lot of DXers
haven't grasped!). Perhaps now would be a good time to remind PSK op's just
how to operate split frequency as it seems to confuse a lot of stations-the
programs don't seem to be very intuitive in that respect (well not when you
migrate from CW!). I would appreciate a refresher so that I don't join the
lid brigade and get chased by the "band police".

73 Sean Gilbert, G4UCJ
County Morse Examiner
Email: g4ucj.shack@ntlworld.com
AX25: g4ucj@gb7imk.#43.gbr.eu
TCP/IP: 44.131.160.74

[...]

Dick Thompson <wb0dul@...>

Good advice, Duncan.  I worked the PW0T operation on 20m SSB and they were operating split.  But it was amazing that stations were calling on their operating frequency when they were saying "PW0T, up".  This was in plain English.  You can imagine what was happening when they were on CW.  I swear, on CW, most of the stations calling them were incapable of copying CW and had a heard time understanding the word "up".

I, and I am sure others, appreciate your comments.

73,

Dick

[...]

Set two macros with your call on one, and a reply, "QSL ur also 599 Tnx  73s de K " on the second one...

If you haven't got a PSK program with dual channels, then set your 2nd VFO in the
listening frequency, that is where the others are all calling, switch to split VFO
and TX above the object station, or below as the case may be...You will know that
when you watch the DX station's instructions!

de ZL3JT (Pacific Pilot- Oceania for PW0T)

Bernie <kf4fhs@...>

Hello Sean,

I agree with you.

Bitching and complaining are a good way for one to vent their frustrations,
but do little else to solve the problem. Perhaps a more productive approach
would be for someone who is more familiar with the procedure, to post a
brief explanation of the basics for us greenhorns who are not as experienced
in DXing. Such as, how far UP will the DX station be listening.
Or at least, maybe someone could tell us where we can find this
information.

Thank-You & 73,
Bernie / KF4FHS

[...]

Steve W3HF

would be for someone who is more familiar with the procedure, to
post a
brief explanation of the basics for us greenhorns who are not as
experienced
in DXing. Such as, how far UP will the DX station be listening.
I'm not an expert by any means, but here's my shot at it. I use
Digipan, so that will be my reference. And if I get anything wrong or
incomplete, I hope that someone more knowledgeable will feel free to
correct me.

As Duncan said, use the two-channel mode of the PSK software, and set
one channel on the DX station, but make the active (transmitting)
channel the other one. Select a clear frequency for your transmitting
freq--don't pile on top of everyone else. The DX station will be
looking for someone he can receive, and QRM won't help.

Get to know his rhythm, how long he listens between transmissions.
Time your calls to be that long. As Duncan points out, just send your
call. He will assume you are calling him, and doesn't need to hear his
own call repeated in a 3x3.

I guess I don't usually send "KN" instead of just "K", but maybe
that's because I don't consider myself (a W3) to be a rare catch.
Duncan and Zoli's experiences are different--maybe it depends on where
and who you are.

Macros can speed the transmission, but if you can type fast enough,
you can do it manually. Don't expect a ragchew, and don't even dream
of sending your brag file. All he wants is your callsign and report.
Most reports are "courtesy" 599s, so don't worry about being accurate.
But make sure that he gets your call correctly, and feel free to ask
for a correction if he gets it wrong. (If I had done that the first
time, I'd have a PY0FT QSL by now, instead of a "not in log"
response.)

As for how far up, it really depends. In CW and SSB operation, there
is often an indication in the "up" direction, like "up 3." And on SSB,
the signals are wider, so the "up spread" has to be wider. But on PSK,
since the bandwidths are so small, I personally think it's more likely
that he is doing exactly what you are doing, scanning across a
waterfall that's about 2-2.5 kHz wide. So I would start there--leave
my transceiver on single VFO and put his signal at the bottom, and
transmit above him in that range. You may be able to figure out where
he's looking if you can see both ends of a QSO--find the transmission
he's responding to.

BTW, be careful if he says "listening up" and you are in LSB mode. The
spectrum is inverted, and his "up" is your "down."

Duncan and I have had a number of split QSOs using this technique. I
was in California, and he was calling "CQ Africa" without obvious
wanted to chat if he had time and no one else replied. So I called him
about 100 Hz away. He was still able to watch for simplex responses
while I transmitted off-frequency.

If the spread gets wider than your waterfall (or your transmit
filter), you will have to figure out how to run split VFOs on you
transceiver.

FWIW, I managed to do just that last night. I had to go to the manual
to set up the VFOs, since I had never done it on the new Yaesu. And I
also had to figure out how MMTTY worked, since it wasn't a PSK
station. But I managed to get VFOa on 21079.3 (the DX transmit freq)
and I set VFOb on 21080.3 to transmit on. Since this was RTTY, the
spread was larger, and I couldn't find a dual-channel option on MMTTY.
I couldn't figure out MMTTY's macros, so I just typed everything by
hand each time. But after about five or six calls from my little
station (5 watts from a Yaesu FT-817 into an attic 40m dipole, tuned
for 15) I was rewarded with "W3HF W3HF de TI9M ur 599 599 bk". Frankly
I'm quite pleased with my first-ever RTTY contact.

I hope this helps someone. And as I said, I'm not an expert here, so
please feel free to challenge my statements.

Sean \(G4UCJ\) <g4ucj.shack@...>

I managed to work KG4DX on 10m this evening working split. I set up a 2nd rx
window on KG4 and "tuned" up with the main window. It was a bit tricky
remembering the key sequences but once I'd got it fixed in the grey matter
it worked well. I use 2 macros (in MixW), the first sends just my call twice
(no de / k) and the 2nd is "<TX>R 599 599 TU<RX><SAVEQSO>". Took a while to
get through but tnx for the new one! For reference KG4DX said up 1 and was
listening for replies in the 2000-3000Hz area. I worked him at 1100Hz up
from his tx frequency.

73 Sean Gilbert, G4UCJ

[...]

Check out the 070 Club website at

DL2AYL@...

The problem with the split operation is that some hams simply don't listen
or read what the dx-station is telling.
Some of the dx op's make things worse.. just saw on 20 meters TI9M asking
for calls up up... but taking also on calls on his own frequency.
Have worked him two days ago, but he didn't get my call correct and I had no
chance to correct him because abot ten stations started to call him on my
frequency before we had finished...
73's Erika/DL2AYL

bernie_kf4fhs <kf4fhs@...>

Thanks Guys, for the pointers on operating split frequencies.
I have never worked a station using "split", and if I am ever lucky
enough to stumble across one, maybe I won't be the scourge of
the waterfall :-)

Thanks Again & 73,
Bernie / KF4FHS

Costas Krallis SV1XV <sv1xv@...>

At 08:22 26/2/2002 +0100, you wrote:

The problem with the split operation is that some hams simply don't listen
or read what the dx-station is telling.
Some of the dx op's make things worse.. just saw on 20 meters TI9M asking
for calls up up... but taking also on calls on his own frequency.
Erika, an additional issue is to define reasonable shifts for "UP"
(split frequency) for PSK-31. For CW it is 2-4 kHz, for SSB 5-10 kHz.
These are based on IF filter bandwidths. Given the way PSK-31 software
works, I think UP should be something like 0.5 - 1.5 kHz. Any other
views?

BTW I feel very unhappy about my performance in the pile-ups
for the current DX-peditions (TI9M and PW0T). I consider giving
up SSB DX altogether and concentrating to RTTY and PSK-31. Ham
radio is supposed to be fun, not a nerve breaking ordeal.

Costas SV1XV

| Costas Krallis SV1XV * LOC KM18UA |
| P.O.Box 3066 * E-Mail: sv1xv@eexi.gr |
| GR-10210 Athens * PGP key: 0x3BDBBC34 |
| GREECE * http://www.qsl.net/sv1xv/ |
| * http://w4u.eexi.gr/~sv1xv/ |

Sean \(G4UCJ\) <g4ucj.shack@...>

Hi Costas, I gave up dx-ing on SSB years ago for the same reason. I now use
CW for all the DX - I have the PW0, the S07, the VP8G and some of the other
recents running just 30w to either a vertical or an indoor dipole. It is so
much easier on CW and I guess RTTY/digimodes as well. The beauty is that a
little goes a long, long way. Not all of us are kW and yagi stations but a
bit of persistence and skill, with a large helping of good fortune can make
us competitive.

Throw the mike away!!

73 Sean Gilbert, G4UCJ Member: IPRE, RSGB, RSARS, FISTS, GWQRP, PODXS 070's
County Morse Examiner
Email: g4ucj.shack@ntlworld.com
AX25: g4ucj@gb7imk.#43.gbr.eu
TCP/IP: 44.131.160.74 (when it works)

[...]

Just worked PW0T in RTTY on 15 meters..I called him in the range of my
passband, got him after two calls.
But higher were a lot of stations piling on each other.
73's Erika/DL2AYL