Eqsls

N3DQU@...

In a message dated 1/26/2002 7:13:17 AM Eastern Standard Time, zl3jt@... writes:

Subj:[070] Eqsls
Date:1/26/2002 7:13:17 AM Eastern Standard Time
From:zl3jt@...
Reply-to:070@...
To:070@...
Sent from the Internet

de Jungle Telegraph
There has been some discussion about eqsl.cc, with people preferring that method
of confirmation.
This is the way a lot of people wish to confirm QSOs and in my opinion, if you are
a DXer in whatever mode you choose, you should join just to reply to the cards that
have been sent you by those people who do not use the existing methods. It doesn't
cost anything but a bit of time! You can also carry on as normal with your QSL collection
by advising the station via your own eqsl, that you expect their card in the traditional
method. In this way you can be selective in requesting the cards you actually need!

By uploading all your unconfirmed QSOs, that you haven't bothered to QSL, you will
allow those that wish a electronic confirmation to do so, and select the ones they
want.... then you continue to collect via the old methods!
I note when I check the site for any call, that there are 100s of unconfirmed QSOs
which is a pity....
How good is your own return??? Mine is 66% direct, 30% via the Bureau :-(
73s Duncan

Monitoring Service trial
Click Here!

   I think one of the problems with the eqsl system is that some ops are just uploading their whole logs en masse, probably because it is easier for them to do it that way than to send out individual requests for qsls. If everyone does it that way, then it is no problem. But some ops still log on paper (myself included) and have to do a manual search thru the logs to confirm the contacts. I have gotten eqsl requests for contest contacts that go all the way back to 1994, and it's pretty obvious that the guy just dumped his log up to eqsl and doesn't really need nor want my qsl. I have a bad return rate too on eqsl too, but for paper qsl's am 100%, because the guy went thru the trouble to put a stamp on it! Jay N3DQU.

AA8QQJMauch@...

Hi All,
It seems to me...

Wouldn't it be great if eQSL had an automatic log check function? That
anytime someone uploaded their log, the function would check each callsign in
that log to see if that station had uploaded his/her log, then find the
matching QSO. They could have a button/section in the InBox to list/view all
eQSL verified QSO's separate from unverified QSO's. It would eliminate a lot
of time spent at the site, and free it up for other users.

73,
Jay - AA8QQ

N3DQU@...

In a message dated 1/26/2002 10:55:31 AM Eastern Standard Time, AA8QQJMauch@... writes:

    Wouldn't it be great if eQSL had an automatic log check function?  That
anytime someone uploaded their log, the function would check each callsign in
that log to see if that station had uploaded his/her log, then find the
matching QSO.

   Good idea!

AA8QQJMauch@...

Jay,
I sent that auto log check idea up the eQSL. We'll see if they do anything
with it.
73 ,
Jay - AA8QQ

AA8QQJMauch@...

Hi All, (agn)

Just returned from eQSL (against my will) and wonder if anyone else has run
into this problem. Some times when I click the "Confirm" button, it
disconnects the browser and locks up the computer. Only recourse is to
reboot. This has happened to me on other PC's also. I run AOL 5.0 (also
happened on 6.0 and 7.0 (hate 6.0, loathe 7.0, probably won't be a word for
8.0)). It has happened enough times to see the pattern, so I know the
"confirm" button does it.

Tnx and 73,
Jay - AA8QQ

AA8QQJMauch@...

Dave,
That's interesting, but do they notify the users of the match? I have never
seen that happen before.
73, Jay -AA8QQ

AA8QQJMauch@...

Rich,
Yes, that is exactly what I was asking.
Must not have been clear as mud.
Jay - AA8QQ

Duncan <zl3jt@...>

[...]

Tnx. Your description makes the one button function Sooo much more appealing.

Jay - AA8QQ

Costas Krallis SV1XV <sv1xv@...>

At 01:12 27/1/2002 +1200, you wrote:

How good is your own return??? Mine is 66% direct, 30% via the Bureau :-(
73s Duncan
I have also about 66% direct, but less than 30% via
the bureau. I understand that hams in USA have a better
return via bureau, perhaps as a result of WAS and Counties
awards.

73 Costas SV1XV

| Costas Krallis SV1XV * LOC KM18UA |
| P.O.Box 3066 * E-Mail: sv1xv@eexi.gr |
| GR-10210 Athens * PGP key: 0x3BDBBC34 |
| GREECE * http://www.qsl.net/sv1xv/ |
| * http://w4u.eexi.gr/~sv1xv/ |

Richard B Drake

I suspect that the reason why your bureau return from the US is
lower is that here we have to be members of ARRL and pay
additional for the outgoing bureau service. If you're not a member
of ARRL, forget it. It's also a real pain in the butt to package
up a pound or so of cards, prove your membership by attaching a
label from QST and send them out with a check. In contrast,
eQSL.cc is free and just a simple matter of uploading a log.

----
73, Rich - W3ZJ

How good is your own return??? Mine is 66% direct, 30%
via the Bureau :-(
73s Duncan
I have also about 66% direct, but less than 30% via
the bureau. I understand that hams in USA have a better
return via bureau, perhaps as a result of WAS and Counties
awards.

73 Costas SV1XV

| Costas Krallis SV1XV * LOC KM18UA |
| P.O.Box 3066 * E-Mail: sv1xv@eexi.gr |
| GR-10210 Athens * PGP key: 0x3BDBBC34 |
| GREECE * http://www.qsl.net/sv1xv/ |
| * http://w4u.eexi.gr/~sv1xv/ |

Steve W3HF

I think one of the problems with the eqsl system is that some ops
are just
uploading their whole logs en masse, probably because it is easier for
them to do it that way than to send out individual requests for qsls.
If everyone does it that way, then it is no problem. But some ops
still log on paper (myself included) and have to do a manual search
thru the logs to confirm the contacts. I have gotten eqsl requests for
contest contacts that go all the way back to 1994, and it's pretty
obvious that the guy just dumped his log up to eqsl and doesn't really
need nor want my qsl.
Since I have a "recycled" call sign, I have received a number of eqsls from the years prior to its being issued to me. I simply reject those with the note that it wasn't my callsign then. Too bad--there were some nice countries there. hi hi

I have a bad return rate too on eqsl too, but
for paper qsl's am 100%, because the guy went thru the trouble to put
a stamp on it! Jay N3DQU.
Jay, do you mean that you receive replies 100% of the time when
YOU SEND a paper QSL, or that YOU REPLY 100% of the time
when you are SENT a paper qsl? I think Duncan and Costas were
talking about replies to their own QSLs.

Just checked my eQSLs stats, and I'm at 50%--242 out, 121 in. And
I don't simply upload my log, as the system I use does not export
ADIF. So each of those 242 is a manual entry.

I respond to every QSL that is sent to me, replying in kind (eQSL for
eQSL, direct for direct, bureau for bureau).

For cards I initiate, I would guess that the reply rate for my direct
cards is a bit better than 80% or so, but I have followed up by email
with some that seemed to be dragging. My bureau rate is low now,
but I am sure that many are still "in the system" as I only sent my
very first package to the US bureau in December 2000.

Dick Thompson <wb0dul@...>

I've never had that problem here, Jay.  But then I don't use AOL.  Hope you get a response that you can use to solve the problem.

73,

Dick

Just returned from eQSL (against my will) and wonder if anyone else has run
into this problem.  Some times when I click the "Confirm" button, it
disconnects the browser and locks up the computer.  Only recourse is to
reboot.  This has happened to me on other PC's also.  I run AOL 5.0 (also
happened on 6.0 and 7.0 (hate 6.0, loathe 7.0, probably won't be a word for
8.0)).  It has happened enough times to see the pattern, so I know the
"confirm" button does it.

Tnx and 73,
Jay - AA8QQ

Daniel Ratzlaff - WWØF

If I'm understanding you correctly, I believe eQSL already does just that.  If I upload my log, and you upload your log, and the time difference between our logs for our QSO is within one hour, eQSL considers the QSO confirmed by each of us.  (Am I making any sense?)

Dan Ratzlaff - WWØF

    Wouldn't it be great if eQSL had an automatic log check function?  That
anytime someone uploaded their log, the function would check each callsign in
that log to see if that station had uploaded his/her log, then find the
matching QSO.

   Good idea!

Richard B Drake

No, I have never had that problem, but here is a clip from the
FAQ's section on eQSL.cc. The solution is, get a real ISP!

[From eQSL.cc FAQ]
Q: I am using AOL and having problems.

A: We have received reports from some users that they cannot log
in or retrieve or send cards because they get error messages.
There are 2 problems with AOL.
They use a custom version of a browser that does not properly
submit forms, and
They "cache" pages inside their network in order to conserve
bandwidth, which causes our system not to work properly.
These problems are not specific to eQSL alone, but to many other
eCommerce sites. On February 20, 2001, we added some code to our
software to try to force the AOL network to stop caching pages,
but we can't guarantee this will always work. We wish there were a
more reliable solution, but the best you can do is to download the
latest browser directly from Microsoft, and try using a different
ISP other than AOL. We are working to find a better solution, but
AOL is not exactly eager to change their entire network and
browser.
[End Quote]

-----
73, Rich - W3ZJ

Just returned from eQSL (against my will) and wonder if
anyone else has run
into this problem. Some times when I click the
"Confirm" button, it
disconnects the browser and locks up the computer.
Only recourse is to
reboot. This has happened to me on other PC's also. I
run AOL 5.0 (also
happened on 6.0 and 7.0 (hate 6.0, loathe 7.0, probably
won't be a word for
8.0)). It has happened enough times to see the
pattern, so I know the
"confirm" button does it.

Tnx and 73,
Jay - AA8QQ

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Richard B Drake

Yes, that is true, but I think what he was asking for (it was a little unclear) is a button that would enable you to retrieve a list of only confirmed contacts from the archive. I have sometimes wished for that myself. I'll submit the suggestion to Dave. He only occasionally reads this list.

73, Rich - W3ZJ

If I'm understanding you correctly, I believe eQSL already does just that.  If I upload my log, and you upload your log, and the time difference between our logs for our QSO is within one hour, eQSL considers the QSO confirmed by each of us.  (Am I making any sense?)

Dan Ratzlaff - WWØF

    Wouldn't it be great if eQSL had an automatic log check function?  That
anytime someone uploaded their log, the function would check each callsign in
that log to see if that station had uploaded his/her log, then find the
matching QSO.

   Good idea!

Richard B Drake

When you go to your Inbox or your Archive and look at your list of
QSL's, any new card you have received or old one that you have
archived obviously comes from an entry in the other fellow's log.
If the confirm button appears then you have not yet confirmed the
contact or there is some kind of mismatch such as times that
differ by more than an hour. If the "Sent" message appears then
the QSO has been confirmed in both yours the other fellow's log.
Also in your archive if you are using Internet Explorer (almost
any version) you can use "Edit/Find On This Page" to search for
the word "Confirmed". This will show you any contacts that you
have not yet confirmed. If you don't find that anywhere, then all
the listed QSO's are confirmed both ways. If you are looking for a
specific confirmation, search your Archive for a specific
callsign, if it's there, it's confirmed, if not, it isn't.

----
73, Rich - W3ZJ