Computer logging the PSKFest

N3DQU@...

So who all used a computer to log the PSKFest? Any good/bad experiences to
relate? I used W3KM's Gen Log. First time I had ever used a computer logger,
and except for a glitch that I may have caused myself, the program worked fb!
Jay N3DQU.

ebruchac@...

I used the logging function of Digipan,(1.6)
Works, but you have to do some light editing to make it presentable..
Ed N4ZUM

N3DQU@...

In a message dated 1/24/02 3:10:22 PM Eastern Standard Time, ebruchac@... writes:

I used the logging function of Digipan,(1.6)
Works, but you have to do some light editing to make it presentable..
Ed N4ZUM

   Yeah, that is a good general purpose logger but wont check the dupes for ya...Jay.

DL2AYL@...

As always - MixW does it all !
ERIKA/DL2AYL

bernie_kf4fhs <kf4fhs@...>

I also used W3KM's GenLog and it worked great.

73, Bernie / KF4FHS

Tom <tomias@...>

MixW 2

Tom, k3psk

So who all used a computer to log the PSKFest? Any good/bad experiences
relate? I used W3KM's Gen Log. First time I had ever used a computer
logger,
and except for a glitch that I may have caused myself, the program worked
fb!
Jay N3DQU.

Barry Rimmer

MixW 2.02
72, Barry K4MG

kg9ni <kg9ni@...>

After reading the other responses, this is going to sound crazy to
most of you.

I was juggling cats!...I wish now that I had a screenshot of my
desktop computer during the contest. Here's the scenario: digipan
running in 1/2 of my screen. Upper right corner of the screen has my
general purpose freeware logger that I absolutely love (but I've tried
nothing else)--XMLog. The lower right corner had Excel with a
spreadsheet set up to function as a dupe sheet.

Here's the procedure that I used...like I said--this is nuts!:

1. On contact, I start the cold/lifeless macro exchange; edit the rst
in the text if not 599--most were--even the little guys! (really!).
2. Use the mouse to copy the call from Digipan (right click, "copy").

3. I hit "add new" in XMLog which auto-completes the
time/date/mode/power/and frequency (through connection with radio) and
paste the call into the record. (right click, "paste" or CTRL-V)
4. Record the RST in the fields & hit ADD button...it goes into the
database and completes the name/address information from the QRZ
database.
5. Then copy the call to the excel spreadsheet and place an X in the
appropriate column. I was busier than a 1-armed paperhanger (no
offense intended to any 1-armed paperhangers that are out there).
Occassionally sort the sheet by call...try to see where dupes are in
between.
6. Okay, one QSO down...repeat until braindead.

I am certainly wishing for some contest software for next time! :) The
system worked, but it could have been easier....I eventually fell into
a routine. I think my mouse decided it had enough and wanted to find
employment elsewhere, but I held it firmly in place until the end! ;)

73,
Ernest, (the long-winded-answer guy)
kg9ni

--- In 070@y..., N3DQU@a... wrote:
So who all used a computer to log the PSKFest? Any good/bad
experiences to
relate? I used W3KM's Gen Log. First time I had ever used a computer
logger,
and except for a glitch that I may have caused myself, the program
worked fb!
Jay N3DQU.

Ernest Mills <emills@...>

Dupes! sure. It is not automatic but you have plenty of time to do a "search" on the 'entered' call sign while the return exchange is being sent :) This will tell ya! if you have worked him before or not. In contesting you don't want to worry about working dupes during the heat of the battle as it is easier to work him than send " sorry OM we have worked on 20 m before"  Yea! we do need a full featured psk contest program but I manage well with Digipan :)  Ernie

I used the logging function of Digipan,(1.6)
Works, but you have to do some light editing to make it presentable..
Ed N4ZUM

   Yeah, that is a good general purpose logger but wont check the dupes for ya...Jay.

Bills4570@...

All,

Now that I have read a few responses to this question,
I'm almost embarrassed to say that I used a Crown
Zellerbach product called paper 1.1 and Eberhardt Faber
pencil ver 1.01.

I'm kinda new at this, and I have not yet figured out how
to make Digipan, logging program, rig control program,
and antenna pointing programs run simultaneously......
but the trusty pencil never fails.

It gets pretty complicated scanning entries for dupes;
especially when it's near the end and sleep deprivation
causes one to miss obvious dupes. (I almost missed one
dupe for a station I had worked just 5 minutes earlier!!!).

There's no doubt though, that as PSK contest competition
gets keener and more tightly contested, some level of
automation will be required for the single op
category...... so come on folks! Gimme the solution! I
want a logging program that automatically records the
exchange from the data available on screen, initiated by
the next transmit. No entries, no drag and drop, no
keyboarding the data, no commands, no mouse clicks; just
a good screen capture of the qso exchange data already
available on the screen.

Gimme that, and I'll toss the pencil and paper. I'll
even PAY for it!.

73, Bill
KG6EXF

So who all used a computer to log the PSKFest? Any good/bad experiences to
relate? I used W3KM's Gen Log. First time I had ever used a computer logger,
and except for a glitch that I may have caused myself, the program worked fb!
Jay N3DQU.

"Luděk Salač <ludek.salac@...>

DigiPan 1.6d

Ludek, OK1VSL

Beischel <wb8nut@...>

I recently started using MixW and registered it about a week later
after I played with it extensively. The logging function is built in
to this multi digital mode program. Prior to the contest, I set up
macros just the way I wanted them for the contest. MixW
automatically indentifies the other station's call when it comes
across the screen. You just click on the call at it goes into the log
and the program will tell you if it is new, a new DXCC, new WPX or a
previous dupe. As a result, everything was automatically logged and
very rarely did I do any typing to work the contest. Just a lot of
clicking of the mouse on the screen.

Duffy - WB8NUT

--- In 070@y..., N3DQU@a... wrote:
So who all used a computer to log the PSKFest? Any good/bad
experiences to
relate? I used W3KM's Gen Log. First time I had ever used a
computer logger,
and except for a glitch that I may have caused myself, the program
worked fb!
Jay N3DQU.

ve3iay <ve3iay@...>

Ernest,

Wow! You must have REALLY wanted to operate the PSKFEST to put up
with all that! (Thanks for the QSOs, by the way.)

I love XMLog, too - I think it is unsurpassed for data management
logging chores. However, it is just about at the bottom of my list
for on-the-air use during a contest. Almost any other logging program
will give you a jump on dupe checking, and some of them will automate
the entire dupe-checking process so you don't need to think about it.

What you want is a program where you type in the call sign, or mouse
click on it, and it tells you instantly whether the contact is a dupe
on that band during that contest. MixW 2's contest mode will do this.
That's what I used, then after the contest was over I exported the
log to an ADIF file and imported it into my general station log in
XMLog.

MixW will also pick up the exchange data automatically. You have to
be careful with this; it will pick up anything that might be part of
the exchange, including lots of two-letter words. If I had let MixW
do this for me without checking, about 20% of my QSOs would have been
falsely recorded as DE, 15% as IN, 5% as OK, but most of the rest
would have been correct. Whenever MixW gets the exchange wrong, you
have to enter it directly into the proper field, but that only
happens on a fraction of QSOs.

As for the preparation of the log submission post-contest, I exported
the log into a regular text file and did a fair bit of manual
massaging with a text editor. I also produced dupe files
(alphabetical lists of call signs by band) and multiplier lists this
way. A spreadsheet program like Excel would have made this post-
contest job a lot easier.

Some software, such as WriteLog, will do the whole thing, from
entering QSOs and dupe checking to preparing the log submission to
exporting the contacts into an ADIF file for QSLing and logging in
the station log.

73,
Rich VE3IAY