RTTY Software

N3DQU@...

In a message dated 1/21/2002 8:22:37 PM Eastern Standard Time, w3hf@... writes:

What do you use for sound-card-based RTTY (if you use it)?

   I managed to get MMTTY up and running and I'm not the greatest with the learning curve Steve! Did you remember to put another quarter in the slot?? Jay N3DQU.

Steve W3HF

Okay, guys, here's an off-topic question:

What do you use for sound-card-based RTTY (if you use it)? This is
triggered by the fact that KG4DX last week, and VP8THU today
seem to be only on RTTY, and not PSK.

I've been trying for a few days now to get MMTTY to work, and I
don't seem to get it. I must be doing something wrong, but for the life
of me I can't figure it out.

I'd like something as easy to use as Digipan.

I've discussed this privately with one or two of you, but I'd like a few
more opinions. Thanks.

Robert Daniel <daniel@...>

HamScope with MMTTY.

                       W9FIF

Okay, guys, here's an off-topic question:

What do you use for sound-card-based RTTY (if you use it)? This is
triggered by the fact that KG4DX last week, and VP8THU today
seem to be only on RTTY, and not PSK.

I've been trying for a few days now to get MMTTY to work, and I
don't seem to get it. I must be doing something wrong, but for the life
of me I can't figure it out.

I'd like something as easy to use as Digipan.

I've discussed this privately with one or two of you, but I'd like a few
more opinions. Thanks.

.

Steve W3HF

What do you use for sound-card-based RTTY (if you use it)?
I managed to get MMTTY up and running and I'm not the greatest with
the learning curve Steve! Did you remember to put another quarter in the
slot?? Jay N3DQU.
No, Jay, my computer only eats zip disks. hi hi (Actually, it did until
I replaced the drive. Click of Death they called it.)

Just a few minutes ago I figured out that the RTTY convention is
LSB on all bands, and my digital mode interface into the 817
defaults to USB. Took me a while to make the connection. So I have
had my mark/space inverted all the time. A click of the REV button
and I managed to start decoding a little.

Fortunately PSK is symmetrical, and insensitive to USB/LSB
conventions. (Not true of QPSK, though. That's why there's an Invert
selection in the PSK software.)

Steve

DL2AYL@...

I'm using MixW for PSK and RTTY and all the other digi modes.. , it is easy
to work with and it needsjust a mouse click to switch from one mode to the
other but it is not for free, that is the only disadvantage.
Erika

Sean \(G4UCJ\) <g4ucj.shack@...>

Hi all, I have to agree with you Erika, MixW is a fine piece of software, it
has great support and is constantly being developed via feedback from users.
Apart from the TX/RX side, I use it as my main logging program now.
I have only just discovered how to send CW via the soundcard (if I get
really lazy!). Just as a thought, if you own one of the older Icom rigs
(i.e. 706,746,756) and have a CW filter installed, they can be tricked into
giving you the CW bandwidth on SSB. This has probably been chewed over
before, but it really does help if you can narrow the bandwidth and improve
the signal to noise ratio. With my 756 I have a narrow 1.8 SSB filter at
455kHz (FL222) and a 250Hz CW filter at 9MHz (FL101). I programmed the menu
to think the 9MHz was an FL223 (the 9MHz narrow SSB filter) and it now uses
the narrow CW filter on SSB. OK I've lost the use of one of the SSB filters
(I've kept the wide one selected, for obvious reasons), but that doesn't
seem to be a problem. For us that are stuck with modest stations, every bit
of help is welcomed!!

73
Sean Gilbert G4UCJ
IO92PA SP93 EU005 Member: RSGB FISTS RSARS GWQRP PODXS 070's RSGB COUNTY
MORSE EXAMINER
Email: g4ucj.shack@ntlworld.com
AX25 Packet: g4ucj@gb7imk.#43.gbr.eu
TCP/IP: 44.131.160.74

I'm using MixW for PSK and RTTY and all the other digi modes.. , it is
easy
to work with and it needsjust a mouse click to switch from one mode to the
other but it is not for free, that is the only disadvantage.
Erika

Beischel <wb8nut@...>

I use both MixW and Hamscope for RTTY. Both work like a champ and
are very easy to set up. I also had trouble with MMTTY and gave up.
Hamscope is free and MixW has a reasonable registration fee.

Duffy - WB8NUT